The Education Forum

Dangles

Larry Hancock

Lee Oswald's possible role in regard to intelligence agencies is something we discuss interminably. Its important to remember that intelligence assets don't have to be spy's of the type you find in action novels and movies, they can have much simpler roles. In that regard, the October issue of Smithsonian Magazine has a good article about how the FBI used a dangle in a counter intelligence operation against the KGB in New York City. It really helps to define the very basic and limited role of a dangle and I'd recommend it; I've also blogged some comments about the article in relation to Lee Oswald if you want some further thoughts on his employment as a dangle.

-- Larry

Thank you Mr. Hancock.

Will the lone assassin advocates refer to us as Bo Danglers now?( Mr. Bo Jangles was a big Sammy Davis hit song.)

I doubt it Bob, but if we are going that route I think Simon and Garfunkel may be more appropriate...

It's a still life water color,
Of a now late afternoon,
As the sun shines through the curtained lace
And shadows wash the room.
And we sit and drink our coffee
Couched in our indifference,
Like shells upon the shore
You can hear the ocean roar
In the dangling conversation
And the superficial sighs,
The borders of our lives.

............we would probably only get a few "superficial sighs" for our dangling conversations - but at least we aren't indifferent...

Here is the link to the Smithsonian article that Larry is referring to.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/When-the-FBI-Spent--Decades-Hunting-for-a-Soviet-Spy-on-Its-Staff-224930002.html?c=y&page=1

It's written by David Wise, who wrote Molehunt about the CIA's search for a Soviet agent within its midst.

-- Steve

Thanks Steve,

David Wise also co-wrote the book "The Invisible Government," (with Thomas Ross) which blew the cover of the Catherwood Foundation and many other such non-profit philanthropic orgs who served as conduits for funds devoted to CIA covert operations. The Catherwood Fund, based in Philadelphia, financed the Cuban Aid Relief to support anti-Castro professionals who had defected to USA and also co-sponsored a conference of Cuban journalists at the University of Miami in the summer of '63.

The Catherwood Fund also financed the Russian Orthodox Church outside USSR, which included the parish that Marina had her daughter baptized in while in Fort Worth, and the Catherwood-Columbia Award for journalists, which was discontinued after the CIA affiliations with Catherwood became known. Max Holland then got an award and grant from the fund that replaced it.

It should be noted that it was no secret to the Soviets that the Catherwood Fund and others like it were CIA fronts, as Frank Wisner explained it all to Kim Philby, and it was only a secret to the American public, and the CIA knew that and let it continue.

David Wise also wrote an article for JFK, Jr.'s George Magazine about the National Recon Office - NRO - and how they somehow misplaced a billion dollars in government funds they couldn't account for - in one of the last issues of the mag that JFK, Jr. published before he died.

Reading the effort the CIA went through to try to stop the publication of "The Invisible Govt" is a story in itself.

David Wise is one of the best and most knowledgeable independent journalists who writes about security matters.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

And don't forget the dangling participle. Here is my all time favourite:

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know." --- Groucho Marx

Edited by Robert Prudhomme