The Education Forum

Bob Schieffer, Face The Nation, just called Warren Commission "COMPLETELY DYSFUNCTIONAL"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schieffer was a Fort Worth newspaperman in 1963. He drove Marguerite Oswald to the Dallas Police station, and came within one question from a Dallas Policeman of getting an incredible exclusive, an interview with Oswald himself. (The DPD saw him with Marguerite and assumed he was with the family.)

He's probably known Aynesworth forever. It's not really much of a surprise he likes Aynesworth. Aynesworth has long used his experiences on 11-22-63 as a means to position himself as the media's "expert" on the assassination. I mean--he knew Jack Ruby! etc etc etc.

Barbie Zelitzer writes about this, if I recall, in Following the Body. She observes how the newsmen in Dallas used their proximity to the assassination to further their careers, so much so that over time the story of 11-22 came to be how Dan Rather ran all those blocks and Bob Schieffer drove Marguerite, and Hugh Aynesworth went to the Texas Theater, on and on. They made themselves--and their reactions to the shooting--the story, at least in part because they never figured out what actually happened. It's kinda sad.

Edited by Pat Speer

Schieffer has an article in this months ARRP magazine and really does leverage his being in Dallas, establishing a position that he was there and and something of an insider and would have know if something was fishy. He may not intend that but it certainly has that feel.

He also notes that he remains open minded but has never seen a single thing that would tend to change his view of the official story and the WCR. Which of course is fine if he has done any reading or investigation on his own - if he is saying that without having made any inquires over say the last 20 years or read any books such as McKnights, Law's, Feister's etc then I would find it a bit annoying.

Larry, I'd bet dollars to donuts Schieffer's never read Someone Would Have Talked. How about you offer him a slot at November in Dallas, provided he agree to read your book?

Edited by Pat Speer

Heck, I'd offer him a slot if he'd even agree to read NEXUS, its a lot shorter...grin.

I would probably feel a lot better about Bob and some of the other figures who are currently making statements about being

open minded if I knew they had at least taken the time to study the more recent research. Being open minded by itself is

relatively meaningless if you are still working off only the official data set presented in 1964.

I remember seeing Schieffer several years ago (it was the year Bar McClellan's book Blood, Money and Power came out) on C-SPAN. He was taking part in a discussion about Dallas, though I remember nothing that was said. But then a guy in the audience stood up with a copy of McClellan's book and said something of a promotional nature. Schieffer looked visibly angry as he immediately said, "That book has been totally discredited." Of course he didn't say how or by whom.

Guest Robert Morrow

Heck, I'd offer him a slot if he'd even agree to read NEXUS, its a lot shorter...grin.

I would probably feel a lot better about Bob and some of the other figures who are currently making statements about being

open minded if I knew they had at least taken the time to study the more recent research. Being open minded by itself is

relatively meaningless if you are still working off only the official data set presented in 1964.

Recent reseach? How about if they read Joachim Joesten & Vincent Salandria from the 1960's? That would be a good start.

Douglas,

Do you think Oswald killed Kennedy?

--Tommy :sun

I have never held myself out to be an expert on the Kennedy assassination. My depth of knowledge is not great in contrast to many of the true experts in the forum who have a detailed grasp of the topic, such as William Kelly, James Richards, Pat Speer and Robert Morrow, to single out only four among many forum members whose credibility is recognized.

Based on what I have learned and do know, my answer to your question is no. I think it was a well thought out conspiracy to kill the President and Oswald was groomed to be the patsy, the fall guy.

As I wrote in a prior forum topic some time ago, at the time of the assassination I was working in the New York City office of Governor Nelson Rockefeller on the staff of Lt.-Gov. Malcolm Wilson. I received a phone call from a close friend who was a fellow night school student at NYU Law School and who worked on Wall Street. He told me breathlessly that his teletype machine had just reported the assassination. After conferring with Lt.-Gov. Wilson I walked through the five story townhouse at 22 West 55th Street that was the Governor’s private office and alerted the staff to what had happened in Dallas. Most I talked to uttered no word. They just looked shocked and for a moment or so may have thought I had lost my mind. At a political dinner the next night I sat next to a mutual friend of the Lt.-Gov. who was about to ascend to the bench as a judge. He predicted to me that Oswald would be killed soon because whatever he knew or did not know would be explosive and would open the door to the actual conspirators. He said it was obvious Oswald was a patsy. Two days later Oswald was killed.

Those who were politically sophisticated realized immediately that there was much more behind the assassination of JFK, just as those who were politically sophisticated believed there was much more behind the arrests of five burglars at Watergate nine years later.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

My God, in this discussion they speak of Oswald being in the Cuban and Soviet embassies. They mention the audio tapes and photographs of "Oswald" as if those two pieces of evidence are really of LHO. No mention of the fact that the photos are not of LHO and that hours after the assassination JEH is telling LBJ on the phone that the audio tapes don't match LHO's voice and that someone was impersonating LHO.

The real story is more fantastic than the tripe they are peddling.

My God, in this discussion they speak of Oswald being in the Cuban and Soviet embassies. They mention the audio tapes and photographs of "Oswald" as if those two pieces of evidence are really of LHO. No mention of the fact that the photos are not of LHO and that hours after the assassination JEH is telling LBJ on the phone that the audio tapes don't match LHO's voice and that someone was impersonating LHO.

The real story is more fantastic than the tripe they are peddling.

Chris,

I've read that some clandestine photos of Oswald (not those taken of the infamous Mexico City Mystery Man or Mystery Men) were taken outside of one of the embassies.

I'm going from memory here, but I think I read that one of the photos showed Oswald's face in profile.

The photos I'm talking about never made it into the public domain, and they are obviously not the same ones that the article is referring to.

--Tommy :sun

Guest Robert Morrow

Email from a friend on this topic:

"Watch Bob Shieffer and Phil Shenon Propagate "Castro Did It" Lies about JFK Killing

Begin forwarded message:

Subject:
Watch Bob Shieffer and Phil Shenon Propagate 'Castro Did It Lies' About JFK Killing

US MEDIA INTELL MACHINE GEARS UP FOR 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF COUP D' ETAT
TODAY OF CBS's FACE THE NATION:
3 segments
Amazing bald-faced lies by former NY Times reporter Phil Shenon and Dallas's own Bob Schieffer. Watch Shenon's face as he lies. He was partner with discredited Judith Miller at NY Times and has deep intelligence connections.
Show is dedicated to his new fraud 'Castro did it' book on Kennedy assassination.
Watch and listen how they frame Oswald who was never in Mexico City and was impersonated. Photo of impersonator and tapes of impersonator on phone were listened to and looked at by J. Edgar Hoover who called LBJ to say that Oswald was being impersonated in Mexico City. This is all in the public record now and is no secret to anyone familiar with the case.
Shenon knows all this.
Watch and listen how they avoid PUBLIC documents and recordings of J EDGAR HOOVER and LBJ published and released
The Mexico City Tapes
Pict_LBJ_1-10-64_W-368-19.jpg
President Lyndon Johnson on the telephone.

At 10 AM on the morning following the Kennedy assassination, President Lyndon Johnson and FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover discussed the state of the case over the telephone. In response to LBJ's question about "the visit to the Soviet Embassy in September," Hoover replied:
J. Edger Hoover: to LBJ:
"No, that’s one angle that’s very confusing, for this reason—we have up here the tape and the photograph of the man who was at the Soviet embassy, using Oswald’s name. That picture and the tape do not correspond to this man’s voice, nor to his appearance. In other words, it appears that there is a second person who was at the Soviet embassy down there."
That's from November 23, 1963
Here's the rest of it:
I'll be dead by the end of the week...

=

The average listener to Face The Nation took away three things that are important in my opinion:

Peggy Noonan of The Wall Street Journal said, paraphrasing, that it is amazing that 50 years later we are still learning new information about the Kennedy assassination.

Tom Johnson, a former LBJ press secretary, related the story of how the FBI had destroyed after the assassination a letter delivered to its Dallas office from Oswald and covered this for years thereafter.

Finally, author Philip Shenon and Bob Schieffer discussed how dysfunctional the Warren Commission was with only three members actively participating and with a staff comprised of young personnel who had no idea what they were up against in dealing with the cover-ups being perpetrated by the CIA and FBI.

How often does one hear fascinating stuff like this on one of the three major networks?