The Education Forum

Danny Arce testimony

This section of Danny Arce's testimony to the Warren Commission is him trying to explain where he was standing during the assassination. To say the least, I am confused. Can anyone help out by pinpointing where Arce was?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

James

Mr. BALL. Where were you standing when you heard the shots?

Mr. ARCE. I was standing in front of the Texas School Book Depository. I was on that grassy area part in front.

Mr. BALL. You were not on the sidewalk?

Mr. ARCE. No, I was on the sidewalk, then I walked up to the grass to get a higher view. and still couldn't see.

Mr. BALL. Did you hear shots?

Mr. ARCE. Yeah.

Mr. BALL. How many?

Mr. ARCE. Three.

Mr. BALL. Where did you make out the direction of the sound?

Mr. ARCE. Yeah, I thought they came from the railroad tracks to the west of the Texas School Book Depository.

Mr. BALL. When you were on the grass, were you south where you were? Where were you with reference to the entrance to the Texas School Book Depository?

Mr. ARCE. I was down to the west side, a little more to the west.

Mr. BALL. Were you west of the building itself?

Mr. ARCE. Yeah.

Mr. BALL. You were not in front of the building?

Mr. ARCE. I was directly in front, but then I walked a few steps down to the west side.

Mr. BALL. Where were you with reference to the west wall of the building?

Mr. ARCE. Oh, I was way far from it. I was across the street, I mean.

Mr. BALL. What do you mean "across the street"?

Mr. ARCE. Well, there's a little sidewalk right across the street and there's some grass and things up there and that's where I was at. I couldn't tell you exactly where I was, see, it's hard to explain.

Mr. BALL. Well, you say you were not in front of the building?

Mr. ARCE. Well, not directly, not in front; I was across the street.

Mr. BALL. And were you west of the west wall of the building?

Mr. ARCE. Well, I was, well the building--

Mr. BALL. I understand but you were to the south of the building. You had to be south of the building, didn't you?

Mr. ARCE. Well, I was south but I was, well, I guess you could say I was in front of the building but not directly in front, well, I don't know how to explain it.

This section of Danny Arce's testimony to the Warren Commission is him trying to explain where he was standing during the assassination. To say the least, I am confused. Can anyone help out by pinpointing where Arce was?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

James

Mr. BALL. Where were you standing when you heard the shots?

Mr. ARCE. I was standing in front of the Texas School Book Depository. I was on that grassy area part in front.

Mr. BALL. You were not on the sidewalk?

Mr. ARCE. No, I was on the sidewalk, then I walked up to the grass to get a higher view. and still couldn't see.

Mr. BALL. Did you hear shots?

Mr. ARCE. Yeah.

Mr. BALL. How many?

Mr. ARCE. Three.

Mr. BALL. Where did you make out the direction of the sound?

Mr. ARCE. Yeah, I thought they came from the railroad tracks to the west of the Texas School Book Depository.

Mr. BALL. When you were on the grass, were you south where you were? Where were you with reference to the entrance to the Texas School Book Depository?

Mr. ARCE. I was down to the west side, a little more to the west.

Mr. BALL. Were you west of the building itself?

Mr. ARCE. Yeah.

Mr. BALL. You were not in front of the building?

Mr. ARCE. I was directly in front, but then I walked a few steps down to the west side.

Mr. BALL. Where were you with reference to the west wall of the building?

Mr. ARCE. Oh, I was way far from it. I was across the street, I mean.

Mr. BALL. What do you mean "across the street"?

Mr. ARCE. Well, there's a little sidewalk right across the street and there's some grass and things up there and that's where I was at. I couldn't tell you exactly where I was, see, it's hard to explain.

Mr. BALL. Well, you say you were not in front of the building?

Mr. ARCE. Well, not directly, not in front; I was across the street.

Mr. BALL. And were you west of the west wall of the building?

Mr. ARCE. Well, I was, well the building--

Mr. BALL. I understand but you were to the south of the building. You had to be south of the building, didn't you?

Mr. ARCE. Well, I was south but I was, well, I guess you could say I was in front of the building but not directly in front, well, I don't know how to explain it.

Sounds like he was on the grass behind the Umbrella man and "gator"

He also says he was across the street but that doesn't make any sense.

He heard three shots from the railroad tracks, which would have been to his right.

shanet

((OR HE WAS LYING....10/31/04))

Edited by Shanet Clark

Thanks for your reply, Shanet.

I know this image was snapped after the shooting, but is Arce talking about somewhere near the tree to the right of frame?

James

Another great photo James....

Maybe Arce (..what a name..) thought the wide sidewalk up in the colonnade, (see the park bench?) maybe he thought that was like a street, but I don't think he was actually across any "auto traffic" street, from what he said. He was in front of the TBSD, to the west, on the grass and higher up when he heard shots from the Fence/Knoll/RR tracks....so i wonder how did he die?...........

I said this in the big 'Triple Underpass' thread, but I looked at John's AFTERMATH photo gallery, and it looks to me like security sweeps, men in suits, evenly spaced, calmly policing the area...maybe they were onlookers and journalists, but it just looks strange the way the AFTERMATH photos show men spread out and observing...does anybody else see this as significant? James you know what pictures I'm talking about don't you?

Shanet

Edited by Shanet Clark

Shanet,

I have no idea if Arce is alive or dead. I seem to remember reading somewhere that he developed a drinking problem post assassination but I can't source that.

He is of some interest to me as there doesn't seem to be much background on him before he commenced work at the TSBD in September of 1963. If I have that wrong I'm sure I will be corrected.

The comparisons below are interesting I think. Now if Arce was inserted into the Dallas plot, he may have been the man to assist the assassins entering the TSBD. Also of interest is that a man by the name of Remigio Arce was connected to the Interpen group for a time. Remigio was about 42 at the time so I'm wondering if he could be related.

It's pretty loose I know but worth pondering.

And yes, I take your point regarding the men in the aftermath images. Interesting indeed.

James

Edited by James Richards

James Richards Posted Today, 03:30 AM

Shanet,

I have no idea if Arce is alive or dead. I seem to remember reading somewhere that he developed a drinking problem post assassination but I can't source that.

He is of some interest to me as there doesn't seem to be much background on him before he commenced work at the TSBD in September of 1963. If I have that wrong I'm sure I will be corrected.

The comparisons below are interesting I think. Now if Arce was inserted into the Dallas plot, he may have been the man to assist the assassins entering the TSBD. Also of interest is that a man by the name of Remigio Arce was connected to the Interpen group for a time. Remigio was about 42 at the time so I'm wondering if he could be related.

It's pretty loose I know but worth pondering.

And yes, I take your point regarding the men in the aftermath images. Interesting indeed.

James

James, Shanet;

The Danny and Remigio Arce connection is something I have considered myself. It would be interesting to see if there is a connection. Haven't gotten to researching that yet. One thing I do know (perhaps you agree): Not everyone from the TSBD gang has told the truth, in particular the fellows from the TSBD 5th floor at the time of the assassination. Looks like Danny also had touble remembering the line he was fed.

James Richards Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

Mr. Don Roberdeau places Danny Arce pretty much under, or next to the tree in front of the TSBD, in a way that would be across the Elm extension, but not across Elm street per se. Don calls the tree Danny was under, the "Magic limbed ricochet tree".

To me this is definitely one possibilty. See Don's site:

Don Roberdeau's DP Diagram

One side note: Last I checked, Roy Sansom Truly is still alive, age 97, living in Texas.... no phone number listed under his name.

Edited by Antti Hynonen

How do you know that man in Dealey Plaza is Danny Arce?

I thought the ID's of these guys were unknown?

And who is the other guy (the black guy) being taken into the police car? (Wim Dankbaar)

Wim,

The black guy is Bonnie Ray Williams. I have to check my unorganized notes for the source of the ID's but I do believe they are correct. Arce and Williams below.

James

As a follow-on to James remark, it is interesting that in his DPD

statement immediately following the assassination, Arce gives not

only the names of fellow workers but that it is not necessarily just

their first names as he might have heard them called but in most cases

their full names. Seemed interesting for a virtual new hire to have

that complete a knowledge of all his fellow workers.

About the only other thing of note is that based on arrest

records it appears that he developed a pretty bad drinking

problem starting not long after the assassination.

-- Larry

How do you know that man in Dealey Plaza is Danny Arce?

I thought the ID's of these guys were unknown?

And who is the other guy (the black guy)  being taken into the police car? (Wim Dankbaar)

Wim,

The black guy is Bonnie Ray Williams. I have to check my unorganized notes for the source of the ID's but I do believe they are correct. Arce and Williams below.

James

James, is it significant do you think, that the police took Arce and Williams in together?

They were the only two of the floor laying crew to come over from the other warehouse to help in that endeavour.