The Education Forum

"All the Way", a play about LBJ on Broadway

From the article: “But while I recognize that “All the Way” is a work of fiction, not history, I worry that many of the thousands of people who attend the play won’t see it that way — that they will leave the theater believing that Johnson did indeed weaken the Civil Rights Act’s voting provisions, or that Stokely Carmichael, and not John Lewis, was the voice of his generation circa 1964.”

From the article: The only reason Freddie and Fannie are not prosecuted for filing fraudulent accounting statements, therefore, is the beltway fiction that they are “off-budget”. This convenient scam was first invented by Lyndon Johnson to magically shrink his “guns and butter” fiscal deficits, but it has since metastasized into a giant business fairy tale—namely, that behind the imposing brick façade of Fannie Mae there is a real company generating value-added services that are the source of its reported profits and current multi-billion pink sheet valuation. In fact, there is nothing behind those walls except a stamping machine that embosses the signature of the American taxpayer on every billion dollar package of securitized mortgages it guarantees and on all the bonds it issues to fund a giant portfolio of mortgages and securities from which it strips the interest.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/03/david-stockman/a-wall-street-prince-of-plunder/

I think LHO would make a great dramatic subject. He was in a Shakespearean sense a tragic figure. I've done some serious thinking about how to do this, but find myself stymied by lack of time and maybe talent. But I have some ideas on how to present it. Of course it could be a musical - the comic/tragic nature of his life lends itself to that kind of treatment. Wasn't MacBird a musical?

If there are other dramatists/musician composers reading this and you think its a good idea send me a message.