The Education Forum

Super important conspiracy

May 21, 2015

Many Jobless (Still) Giving Up Looking For Work. About 40% of all jobless Americans have given up looking for work altogether.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2015/05/many-jobless-still-giving-up-looking.html

About 40 percent of the 8.5 million jobless Americans have given up looking for work altogether.

The revelation, contained in a new survey Wednesday showing how much work needs to be done yet in the U.S. labor market, comes as the labor force participation rate remains mired near 37-year lows.

A tight jobs market, the skills gap between what employers want and what prospective employees have to offer, and a benefits program that, while curtailed from its recession level, still remains obliging have combined to keep workers on the sidelines, according to a Harris poll of 1,553 working-age Americans conducted for Express Employment Professionals.

On the bright side, the number is actually better than 2014, the survey's inaugural year, when 47 percent of the jobless said they had given up.

"This survey shows that some of the troubling trends we observed last year are continuing," Bob Funk, CEO of Express Employment Professionals and a former chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, said in a statement. "While the economy is indeed getting better for some, for others who have been unemployed long term, they are increasingly being left behind."

Duration matters: The longer someone was out of work, the more likely it is that they've quit looking.

Of the total, 55 percent who were unemployed for more than two years fell into the category; 32 percent of those idle for 13 to 24 months and 34 percent out for seven to 12 months had quit as well. Just 21 percent out for three months or less had stopped looking.

Overall, nearly 1 in 5 (19 percent) said they spent no time looking for work in the week previous to the survey. Just 10 percent said they spent more than 31 hours looking.

Unemployment compensation also matters.

Federal guidelines allow for 26 weeks of unemployment compensation, though extended benefits are available in some circumstances.

Nearly 9 of out 10 respondents (89 percent) said they would "search harder and wider" for work if their benefits ran out. Moreover, in a series of statements about benefits, the one that garnered the most agreement, with 69 percent, was that benefits were "giving me a cushion so that I can take my time in searching for a job," while 59 percent said compensation "has allowed me to take time for myself," 36 percent agreed that it "has allowed me to turn down positions that weren't right for me" and 40 percent agreed "I haven't had to look for work as hard knowing I have some income to rely on."

Of those out of work and not receiving benefits—those who have quit looking are not eligible—22 percent said their benefits had run out and 32 percent said they weren't eligible.

The decline in labor force participation, in fact, has been a key to the drop of the unemployment rate in the post-recession economy. The jobless rate has slid from a high of 10 percent in October 2009 to its current 5.4 percent, the lowest level since May 2008. However, the participation rate has fallen from 66.1 percent to 62.8 percent during the same period.

Benefit programs have expanded as well, even as unemployment compensation dropped from the 99 weeks of eligibility during when the jobless rate was much higher.

Source:http://www.nbcnews.com

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted in fair use

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/30/honolulu-homelessness-tourists_n_7477252.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Honolulu's Homelessness Crackdown Backfires On Tourists

HONOLULU (AP) -- As Honolulu tries to brush up its image for tourists by cracking down on homelessness in Waikiki, it is causing legal problems for some visitors.

Hawaii News Now reported (http://bit.ly/1eGRoKr ) that one in five of the citations issued for nighttime beach visits have gone to tourists, according to city prosecutors.

Honolulu began closing popular Waikiki beachfront parks at midnight to stop homeless people from settling. Violators receive a criminal citation, which could become a warrant if they do not show up in court.

Those who pay the fine will have a criminal mark on their record, and that could cause non-citizens to be refused entry to the U.S. if they return.

The morning after her 21st birthday in late March, Jalisa Jose and several friends from Idaho were on Waikiki Beach around 2 a.m., during their spring break from college. Police officers approached the group and wrote citations, she said.

Jose said they didn't realize they were breaking the law by sitting on the world-renowned beach, even though there are signs posted about every 50 yards along the sidewalk.

"A couple nights before we were on a beach where it was OK to be on late at night, so we didn't really know," Jose told Hawaii News Now from her home in Lewiston, Idaho.

The citation set a court date of May 27, which she missed. That could lead to a criminal warrant.

Tourists hit with citations have no easy out. They can hire an attorney or request permission to plead guilty by mail, but fighting the citation is more difficult, because you must be present in court for trial. One Toronto woman ended up with a criminal warrant after missing her court date.

Police officers do issue warnings, but they can't make exceptions just for visitors, the department said.

The police may be worried about being sued by advocates for the homeless, said attorney Victor Bakke, who has helped several visitors who received citations. "They don't want to look like they are discriminating against the homeless people," Bakke said.

The mayor's office confirmed the police can't just give visitors a break.

"Police have to enforce the laws equally against everyone," spokesman Jesse Broder Van Dyke said. "They don't target homeless in park-closure enforcements."

Some tourists have told attorneys and court workers that they are so upset they vow never to return.

---

And Here We Are Again, Today, Living In A Debt Based Monetary System That Is Impoverishing 90% Of The People In This Country.

In what world do we live in that we protect banks with armed guards but not schools? In what world do we live in that we allow felons to have three square meals, but will not feed our impoverished children? The world that we live in is completely upside down!

http://investmentwatchblog.com/and-here-we-are-again-today-living-in-a-debt-based-monetary-system-that-is-impoverishing-90-of-the-people-in-this-country/

From AURORA, Colo. —

A school lunch lady is out of a job after being fired for giving lunches to kids who didn’t have any money.

Della Curry told KCNC that a first grader was crying because she didn’t have enough money for lunch so Curry gave her a lunch.

It was not the only time she provided a nutritious lunch for a child, often paying for them out of her own pocket.

KCNC said the district provides lunches for students who do not qualify for free or reduced lunch when they do not have the funds to pay. But the lunch, which is one slice of cheese on a hamburger bun and a small milk, was not sufficient in Curry’s opinion.

Curry admits she broke the law and that her firing is policy, but said that the policy needs to change.

Editors Comment:

Now, I recognize that the lady broke policy, and in turn acknowledged the risk of being fired. But this situation lends itself to a much bigger discussion.

So, let me get this straight…

A felon can go to prison and get three square meals a day. However, a child can only get one lunch with a piece of cheese, bread and a small milk? Now some of you may say that these children come from families that are on welfare and other social support systems, and that the parents are using the money for their addictions rather than feeding their own children; this is true….

However, we need to look at the bigger picture here. We fought a revolutionary war to free America from the debt based currency system that the British used to impoverish us. And here we are again, today, living in a debt based monetary system that is impoverishing 90% of the people in this country. The only difference this time is that only a small fraction of the population have the education to understand why. The majority of American’s are blaming it on bad work ethic, drugs, democrats, etc. These are all symptoms to the underlying problem that those who control the money system control the country, and that their intent is to steal the wealth of the every day American.

If you are not aware of how our monetary system is finite and designed to implode, this episode from Mike Maloney’s Hidden Secrets of Money will open your eyes.

=
Read more at http://investmentwatchblog.com/and-here-we-are-again-today-living-in-a-debt-based-monetary-system-that-is-impoverishing-90-of-the-people-in-this-country/#4DPWhhxrq6qc6AQo.99

‘You’re Fired – Now Train Your Much Cheaper Foreign Replacement’

============================================================

http://rinf.com/alt-news/editorials/youre-fired-now-train-much-cheaper-foreign-replacement/

============================================================

Michael Snyder

(RINF) – If you were laid off from your job, would you be willing to train your replacement if your company threatened to take away your severance pay if you didn’t do it? And how would you feel if your replacement came from India, and the only reason your company was replacing you was because the foreign worker was a lot less expensive? Sadly, this is happening all over America – especially in the information technology field. Huge corporations such as Disney and Southern California Edison are coldly firing existing tech workers and filling those jobs with much cheaper foreign replacements. They are doing this by blatantly abusing the H-1B temporary worker visa program. Workers that had been doing a solid job for decades are being replaced without any hesitation just because it will save those firms a little bit of money. There is very, very little loyalty left in corporate America today. Even if you have poured your heart and your soul into your company for years, that ultimately means very little. The moment that your usefulness is over, most firms will replace you in a heartbeat these days.

When I learned that Disney was doing this, I was absolutely outraged. Talk about a company that is going down the toilet. The following comes from the New York Times…

While families rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and searched for Nemo on clamobiles in the theme parks, these workers monitored computers in industrial buildings nearby, making sure millions of Walt Disney World ticket sales, store purchases and hotel reservations went through without a hitch. Some were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

“I just couldn’t believe they could fly people in to sit at our desks and take over our jobs exactly,” said one former worker, an American in his 40s who remains unemployed since his last day at Disney on Jan. 30. “It was so humiliating to train somebody else to take over your job. I still can’t grasp it.”

Honestly, I don’t think that I could do it.

I don’t think that I could train my much cheaper foreign replacement.

But if you are the average American that is just barely scraping by from paycheck to paycheck, I guess complete and total humiliation is better than losing your home to foreclosure.

Out on the west coast, Southern California Edison did the exact same thing that Disney did. The following is an excerpt from a Fox News report…

Anonymous workers who were displaced by the visa holders also submitted written testimonials to lawmakers detailing their firings. Several claimed they were forced to train their replacements, and threatened with losing their severance if they did not.

“We had no choice in this,” one anonymous worker who claimed to have been one of those let go from Southern California Edison, said in a letter. The worker described how when the two vendors were picked – Infosys and TCS, both major Indian companies – SCE employees were told to “sit with, video chat or do whatever was needed to teach them our systems.”

If they did not cooperate, according to the testimonial, “we would be fired and not receive a severance package.”

That is wrong on so many levels. But this is what corporate America has become today – a cold, heartless place that has absolutely no empathy for the average worker.

These workers at Southern California Edison were even told that the firm “could replace one of us with three, four, or five Indian personnel” and still save money on the deal…

“They told us they could replace one of us with three, four, or five Indian personnel and still save money,” one laid-off Edison worker told me, recounting a group meeting with supervisors last year. “They said, ‘We can get four Indian guys for cheaper than the price of you.’ You could hear a pin drop in the room.”

The original intent of the H-1B temporary worker visa program was to allow U.S. companies to import foreign workers to do jobs that they were unable to fill with American workers.

But that is not what is happening.

Instead, the H-1B temporary worker visa program is being used to replace thousands upon thousands of well paid American workers.

It is a disgusting practice and it needs to stop. There has been so much outrage over this that it has even gotten the attention of the U.S. Senate. The following is from a letter that a bipartisan group of U.S. Senators sent to the Attorney General…

A number of U.S. employers, including some large, well-known, publicly-traded corporations, have reportedly laid off thousands of American workers and replaced them with H-1B visa holders. To add insult to injury, many of the replaced American employees report that they have been forced to train the foreign workers who are taking their jobs. This troubling practice seems to be particularly concentrated in the information technology (IT) sector, which is not surprising given that sixty five percent of H-1B petitions approved in FY 2014 were for workers in computer-related occupations. Though such reports of H-1B-driven layoffs have been circulating for years, their frequency seems to have increased dramatically in the past year alone.

So has anything been done about this?

Of course not.

Instead, Barack Obama is working on an extremely secretive global economic treaty which will reportedly allow far more foreign workers to come into this country and which will result in millions more good paying jobs being shipped overseas. It is called “The Trans-Pacific Partnership”, and it is basically NAFTA on steroids.

Why is it that Barack Obama has to be on the wrong side of every single issue?

The U.S. middle class is being systematically ripped to shreds, and most Americans are showing very little alarm about this.

How much damage has to be done before people will finally start waking up?

Detroit Gentrification Means "Forced Relocation" of Black Seniors

=============================
Saturday, 13 June 2015

=
By Paul Kleyman, New America Media | Report

=

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/31313-detroit-gentrification-means-forced-relocation-of-black-seniors

Many Detroit residents are celebrating a new era of revitalization, as the city’s thriving Midtown is now dotted with upscale shops, restaurants and new construction. But Motor City, blighted with 83,000 abandoned homes, is also seeing the forced relocation of low-income seniors, most of them African American.

“There’s a national trope about Detroit, the idea that it’s empty in a lot of ways,” said Tam E. Perry, a researcher at the Michigan Center for Urban African American Aging Research and assistant professor at Wayne State University, where she heads The Relocation Lab.

Phrases like, “Detroit is on the move” have taken hold, she said, promoting the notion that anything can happen there, that you can start a new business, be an artist--see the city as a “blank slate” just waiting for you to make your mark on it.

“But when you think a community is a blank slate,” she said, “you’re also overlooking very vulnerable populations that have been part of the fabric of Detroit and want to remain part of that fabric. As development is occurring in various parts of the city, senior relocation—or I would say forced relocation--is an unintended consequence.”

Senior Advocates Form Coalition

Detroit, Perry noted, is a city of about 700,000 people, 82.7 percent of them black. More than one in 10 residents (11.5 percent) are 65 or older. As one recent Associated Press story declared, “Whites Moving to Detroit, City That Epitomized White Flight: Residents are taking advantage of cheaper housing.”

Perry said she became so engaged in her research that she joined the Senior Housing Displacement-Preservation Coalition, a community advocacy group that is working to preserve senior housing, and to ease the transition for those who become displaced.

This transition can have additional health consequences for seniors. For instance, a displaced senior with kidney failure not only lost her apartment, but access to her dialysis clinic around the corner.

The coalition has identified at least a dozen federally subsidized buildings in Detroit's now-thriving Midtown and downtown areas that might be converted to market-rate apartments in the coming decade, displacing another 2,000 elders in Midtown, Perry said.

Perry presented her findings at April’s national meeting of the Resource Centers for Minority Aging Research, held at the University of California, Davis. The Michigan Center at Wayne State and the University of Michigan is one of seven research programs around the country funded by the National Institute on Aging.

Burnt-Out Houses, Packs of Dogs

Holding a doctorate in anthropology and social work, Perry focused her initial study on interviews with 17 elders forced out of their homes by eviction or harsh circumstances.

“I visited seniors who, after they moved, had no furniture in their homes. They would say, ‘A church has agreed to provide me with a bedroom set,’” said Perry, who would arrange to return to see how things worked out.

One women Perry identified as “Wendy” described her old neighborhood as “very depressing” with “a lot of burnt-out houses” and “packs of dogs.” Only eight houses on her block of 38 remained occupied, and Wendy would have to watch for the packs of feral rottweilers and pit bulls as she left her home each morning.

For Wendy, moving to a smaller place in a safer area brought relief.

But others experienced relocation as a deep loss. “Eve” was among the growing number of seniors nationwide being evicted because their subsidized affordable housing developments are being converted to market-rate units.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has long provided subsidies to owners of apartment buildings who set “fair-market rent” for low-income seniors through its Section 8 program. Seniors who qualify for Section 8 rental vouchers usually pay only 30 percent of their income directly, and the government covers the remaining amount on the discounted rentals.

After meeting their federal obligations for the subsidies, though, owners have the option of opting out of the program and raising the rent to whatever the market will bear. Perry said some of the downtown buildings are now being upgraded to luxury units.

Tenants receive a one-year notice before the cost escalates, and most must find other housing--if they can. Around the nation, waiting lists for Section 8 rental vouchers for people who qualify are years long.

The loss of affordable senior housing among Detroit’s elders means, Perry said, “the risk of homelessness is real.” ( :rant)

Seniors who might qualify for a Section 8 voucher often discover that providing housing authorities their birth certificate--not easily available for many elderly people--or school records proves difficult.

“Getting your school records is very hard when some schools in Detroit have been bulldozed to eliminate schools. Many school records have been lost, too,” Perry said.

Emotional Toll of Uncertainty

Other challenges raise daunting questions for those compelled to move, Perry stressed: “How do they even know where to go?” she asked. “You’re talking about an 85-year-old person who receives a letter saying they need to leave. Who would help them pack their belongings?”

“Eve” told Perry that moving out of her home was “very stressful. I cried many a night, you know. I watched my friends die, you know, because they didn’t want to move ( :rant) , and I watched this one lady just--she sat day by day, I watched her deteriorate, and we couldn’t get her out of that depression--you know what I’m saying. It’s like she just gave up. She said, ‘I’m gonna die here. I don’t wanna move.’”

When Eve found a new place, it was so small she had to place her folding kitchen table under her bed.

Because affordable housing units were often built near one another, Perry found that some of those evicted had moved into a building next door--and still were able to use their old grocery or pharmacy, remain close to their doctors and community services, and stay in touch with old friends.

“But what they tell me is that they think the building they just moved into is going to go market-rate in a year, and they’re going to have to move again,” Perry said.

This stress takes its toll on people who are enduring “that kind of uncertainty for multiple years on end.” ( :rant )

Research With Community Partners

Perry is following up with a second study that will track the fates of 115 displaced elders. For those forced to move, Perry said, her aim is to determine how best “to address their emotion, physical, mental health, logistical and spiritual needs along the way.”

“The thing that’s most incredible about this work is that my partners are community members, specifically St. Aloysius Church and Neighborhood Services in downtown Detroit,” she said.

She emphasized that she hopes her research will help the senior housing coalition preserve existing buildings and ensure that low-income remains in the Detroit.

Perry added, “We are trying to ask: How can Detroit remain a city for all ages? And what do we need to do to ensure that whole cohorts are not leaving the city because of these issues?”

-------------------------------

posted in fair use

Edited by Steven Gaal

The war on the middle class:"Today,99% of all new income is going to the top 1%,while the top one-tenth of 1% own almost as much wealth as the bottom 90%...It is time to say loudly and clearly that corporate greed and the war against the American middle

-

By: suman

-
HERE IS THE reality of the American economy. Despite an explosion in technology and a huge increase in worker productivity, the middle class continues its 40-year decline. Today, millions of Americans are working longer hours for lower wages and median family income is almost $5,000 less than it was in 1999.

see http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2015/06/the-war-on-middle-class-today-99-of-all.html

Edited by Steven Gaal

Kiss It Goodbye: 150 Pensions Under Water
=============================================
http://govtslaves.info/kiss-it-goodbye-150-pensions-under-water/

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

If You Plug In Real Inflation Then The Real GDP Has Been -6.2%, -6.5%, -6.5%, -4.1% From 2011 To 2014!

http://investmentwatchblog.com/2015-q1-gdp-would-have-tumbled-nearly-2-0-without-obamacare-and-record-inventory-re-stocking-if-you-plug-in-real-inflation-then-gdp-was-8-9-lower-in-2014/

Read more at http://investmentwatchblog.com/2015-q1-gdp-would-have-tumbled-nearly-2-0-without-obamacare-and-record-inventory-re-stocking-if-you-plug-in-real-inflation-then-gdp-was-8-9-lower-in-2014/#MYBI302cohFl1cic.99

Edited by Steven Gaal

Record 93,626,000 Americans Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Declines to 62.6%

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/record-93626000-americans-not-labor-force-participation-rate-declines-626

(CNSNews.com) - A record 93,626,000 Americans 16 or older did not participate in the nation’s labor force in June, as the labor force participation rate dropped to 62.6 percent, a 38-year low, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In June, according to BLS, the nation’s civilian noninstitutional population, consisting of all people 16 or older who were not in the military or an institution, hit 250,663,000. Of those, 157,037,000 participated in the labor force by either holding a job or actively seeking one.

The 157,037,000 who participated in the labor force equaled only 62.6 percent of the 250,663,000 civilian noninstitutional population, the lowest labor force participation rate seen in 38 years. It hasn’t been this low since October 1977 when the participation rate was 62.4 percent.

Another 93,626,000 did not participate in the labor force. These Americans did not have a job and were not actively trying to find one.

Of the 157,037,000 who did participate in the labor force, 148,739,000 had a job, and 8,299,000 did not have a job were actively seeking one—making them the nation’s unemployed.

The 8,299,000 job seekers were 5.3 percent of the 157,037,000 actively participating in the labor force during the month. Thus, the unemployment rate was 5.3 percent which dropped from the 5.5 percent unemployment seen in May.

The number of employed Americans dropped from 148,795,000 in May to 148,739,000 in June, a decline of 56,000. The number of unemployed Americans also dropped over the month from 8,674,000 in May to 8,299,000 in June, a decline of 375,000.