The Education Forum

Where to Next? - MEMBERS INPUT NEEDED ON IMPROVING THE FORUM

The Administration has just posted its Terms of Forum Use. For the vast majority of fellow members such a reminder is unnecessary as they have never breached the expected etiquette on this forum. Sadly that is not the case with all members. Between June and October there have been over 10 reports on fellow member’s etiquette. Therefore the administration has felt the need to remind these members what is the expected behaviour on this forum.

Every member is aware when they are winding a fellow member up or breaching normal behaviour. That is why we have stated that we will not enter into a debate with fellow members as to whether a particular use of words does or does not contravene our Terms of Forum use.

We accept that in the heat of the moment we can all make a mistake. That is why - in General Posting Behaviour - we will first issue a private warning. If - for whatever reason - there is a second breach we will suspend posting rights for a week. If there is a further transgression we will suspend posting rights indefinitely.

First, it is our opinion if there is another transgression so soon after the previous two, then the member is not taking the Terms of Forum Use seriously.

Second, the use of the term “indefinitely” allows the administration - at a later point - to issue an amnesty to that member when it is clear that the member is unlikely to repeat this behaviour.

RCD, unless I missed something was never banned. Presumably appropriate conditions on the forum may make him interested in participating. Few were ever banned and then for various reasons, more or less serious. It seems to me that all members need to adhere to the rules. Some may prove incapable of abiding and therefore in essence ask to be kicked. The rules set out conditions so anyone wanting to not be a member has clear instructions on how to become ex members.. So, the conditions exist. The 'team ed forum' can evaluate individual past members and possibly find a few that fior some reason prove themselves elsewhere to not be suitable. Most can take an opportunity to show they are worthy of membership. With more members and an updated forum whackadoodles may be more self moderating and if not stand out more clearly to everyone as examples of how not to be a member.

2c

Only a few members were banned. Unfortunately, the posts of some of these members were eliminated and that makes their return highly unlikely, even if we asked them to return.

As far as attracting back some of those who've left, and new members, I think we should all start sharing new tidbits we uncover. I know I continue to uncover bits and pieces that are not well known, or are previously unknown.

I plan on sharing more and more of these as time goes on. I suggest others still researching the case do the same.

• 2 years later...

I posted in response to the "infiltration of this forum" thread the other day...

"I like this place and the people in it. I like to treat it like my living room or dinner table. I know we are all virtual strangers but I don't want to see it turn out like the comments area of youtube or your typical news article. I kind of think of it as the Senate as opposed to the House. It's kind of unique among Internet forums."

I don't know if my comment will resonate with anyone. I think there is more of the parliamentary decorum here than in most other forums of which I have been a member. I like to think it can get better. In my exploration of older posts I think this forum is evolving in that direction.

That said, I think I see the vision in which the larger EF was founded and it's kind of sad to see underutilized. I had decided to make a post, suggesting what can be done to give the EF a better chance to reach its potential; this happened just a few hours ago, before I stumbled upon this thread.

So, new thread, coming soon!

Cheers,

Michael

@Kathy & James:

Out of curiosity, what is the 'Premier' JFK forum? What do the numbers show?

After the recent Presidential campaign & election with the alleged voter fraud hanky panky shenanigans, I'm a bit suspicious of Internet ratings these days.

I always considered EF to be the 'Premier' JFK forum. It's so much more improved & exercises free speech more than Lancer tried to be when that website was shot down in flames a few years back.

What do the topics & contributors that attracted the most visitors to EF tell the administrators? Which ones repelled interest? 

I'd like to see Larry Rivera & Dale Meyers post here at EF. The work they do separate of each other is always a good read for me. Who they may associate with means nothing to me.

With the popularity of Blogs as an example, how about EF playing 'mother ship' to members individual blogs? All blogs would fall under the umbrella of EF. Each 'Blogmaster' could control who posted in their blogs if they find themselves under stalking/hi-jacking attack, thus keeping topics better focused. EF would collect the blogs visitor counts as its own tally.

Personally, I expect interest in the JFK case to rise when the enslaved documents are finally released to the public in October of 2017. 

Respectfully & sincerely,

Brad Milch

Edited by Brad Milch