The Education Forum

Who saw Baker enter the TSBD?

Here's an interesting tidbit I just discovered. Bill Shelley was the best man at Gloria Calvery's wedding!

The girl in the tire ad with her above, Dana Herring, was also her bridesmaid. It's in her wedding announcement which I found online at My Heritage. I made up a findagrave page for her, connected up some of her ancestors to it and included a couple of the photos Thomas found, and the wedding clipping. I was going to attach it here but can't figure out how to do that.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=149407954

Nice work, Linda!

Sounds like Bill Shelley and Gloria's husband were friends...

--Tommy :sun

PS Randy Sorensen found the photos.

PPS Now we need to start working on Ochus V. Campbell. I can't even figure out what his middle name was...

Thomas Graves, Thanks! :)

As for Ochus V. Campbell his middle name was Virgil. I do know he died in '97. I also tracked down his last address which was in a huge house out on a lake on the far east side of Dallas - so he was pretty well off. Last year i spent a good deal of time trying to track down a yearbook photo of him from Oklahoma, but no luck. However, a long while back, I did save a double picture - that is 2 photos side by side, cropped from the Wiegman and Martin films, that has a man labeled "Ochus V. Campbell?" in front of the TSBD post assassination. I can't even remember who posted it, i'm guessing maybe Denis Morrisette, but i could be wrong. He's older, white-haired and has black, horn-rimmed glasses. Anyway, I wanted to upload it here, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to do it. It's not a URL but a file. I've just spent 10 minutes clicking around. Really...this should be a simple process. :wacko: Can someone please leave me a message about how to upload images here, please?

In the meantime I went looking for him in the Unger Martin gallery and found the him in this anim gif. "Campbell" appears in the bottom rt hand corner eventually. The still in the "double photo" i mentioned is from this video: http://www.jfkassassinationgallery.com/displayimage.php?pid=5873&fullsize=1

Randy Sorensen! Ooops, sorry! I thought Thomas had posted those pix of Gloria. My bad! :P Good work finding them!

Btw...she has 2 living sons, Craig and Chistopher.

Robert Prudhomme: "No matter how many times I compare the photos, I just can't reconcile that Gloria Little is the woman seen in the Darnell still."

I've wondered about that myself. She did appear chubbier in her wedding pic from July '63. Who knows...maybe she lost weight to please her husband? Women's wt can fluctuate a lot sometimes, even in a short period, for such reasons.

Hi Linda

You have Gloria Calvery's wedding picture? Wow, I'd love to see that.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an interesting tidbit I just discovered. Bill Shelley was the best man at Gloria Calvery's wedding!

The girl in the tire ad with her above, Dana Herring, was also her bridesmaid. It's in her wedding announcement which I found online at My Heritage. I made up a findagrave page for her, connected up some of her ancestors to it and included a couple of the photos Thomas found, and the wedding clipping. I was going to attach it here but can't figure out how to do that.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=149407954

Nice work, Linda!

Sounds like Bill Shelley and Gloria's husband were friends...

PS Randy Sorensen found the photos.

PPS Now we need to start working on Ochus V. Campbell. I can't even figure out what his middle name was...

Thomas Graves, Thanks! :)

As for Ochus V. Campbell his middle name was Virgil. I do know he died in '97. I also tracked down his last address which was in a huge house out on a lake on the far east side of Dallas - so he was pretty well off. Last year i spent a good deal of time trying to track down a yearbook photo of him from Oklahoma, but no luck. However, a long while back, I did save a double picture - that is 2 photos side by side, cropped from the Wiegman and Martin films, that has a man labeled "Ochus V. Campbell?" in front of the TSBD post assassination. I can't even remember who posted it, i'm guessing maybe Denis Morrisette, but i could be wrong. He's older, white-haired and has black, horn-rimmed glasses. Anyway, I wanted to upload it here, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to do it. It's not a URL but a file. I've just spent 10 minutes clicking around. Really...this should be a simple process. :wacko: Can someone please leave me a message about how to upload images here, please?

In the meantime I went looking for him in the Unger Martin gallery and found the him in this anim gif. "Campbell" appears in the bottom rt hand corner eventually. The still in the "double photo" i mentioned is from this video: http://www.jfkassassinationgallery.com/displayimage.php?pid=5873&fullsize=1

Randy Sorensen! Ooops, sorry! I thought Thomas had posted those pix of Gloria. My bad! :P Good work finding them!

Btw...she has 2 living sons, Craig and Chistopher.

Robert Prudhomme: "No matter how many times I compare the photos, I just can't reconcile that Gloria Little is the woman seen in the Darnell still."

I've wondered about that myself. She did appear chubbier in her wedding pic from July '63. Who knows...maybe she lost weight to please her husband? Women's wt can fluctuate a lot sometimes, even in a short period, for such reasons.

Hi Linda

You have Gloria Calvery's wedding picture? Wow, I'd love to see that.

Yes, Robert, it was at the top of her wedding announcement - and i uploaded it onto the Findgrave page i made for her. The link is above somewhere. It's not a great pic but it's better than it was. Here you go: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=calvery&GSfn=gloria+&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=149407954&df=all&

Hi Linda

Thanks for the link. I found the transcript from "Find a Grave" so interesting, I decided to post it:

"Gloria Jean Little Calvery*, worked in the Texas School Book Depository (TSBD), as an employee of the Southwestern Publishing Co. and was one of the extremely close witnesses to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. She and 3 of her office co-workers, Karan Hicks, Karen Westbrook, and Carol Reed, were standing on the sidewalk on the north side of Elm Street about 1/2 way between Houston St. and the Triple Underpass, to the east of the Stemmons Fwy sign. According to her own FBI Statement taken 3/19/64 - Commission Exhibit 1381 - she said she heard the first shot when the President's limo was directly in front of her:

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1381.pdf

Immediately following the assassination she ran back to the TSBD, following about 10-15 feet behind the sprinting DPD Officer, Marrion Baker, and they went up the front steps and into the building, as was partially captured on the Cook-Darnell Film and recounted in eyewitness testimony:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/niteprowler147/bl3_zps34f39e84.gif

In his Warren Commission testimony, a TSBD co-worker, Joe Molina, who had been positioned on the landing of the steps during the motorcade, stated he encountered a "horrified" Gloria Calvery in the entryway ~20-30 seconds after the final shot and she explained that she had seen the fatal head shot:

Mr. BALL. Do you know a girl named Gloria Calvary[sic]?
Mr. MOLINA. Yes.
Mr. BALL. Did Gloria come up?
Ms.. MOLINA. Yes, she came. I was in the lobby standing there and she came in with this other girl.
Mr. BALL. What did she say?
Mr. MOLINA. She said "Oh, my God, Joe, he's been shot." They were both horrified. I said "Are you sure he was shot?" She said "Oh, Joe ,I'm sure. I saw his hair fly up and I'm sure he was shot" something to that extent."

I'm beginning to wonder if that is Gloria Calvery seen running toward the TSBD in the Couch film. It would certainly put the lie to Lovelady's and Shelley's testimony.

Immediately following the assassination she ran back to the TSBD, following about 10-15 feet behind the sprinting DPD Officer, Marrion Baker, and they went up the front steps and into the building, as was partially captured on the Cook-Darnell Film and recounted in eyewitness testimony:

I don't feel that the runner quite matches the build of Calvery girl in the evidence that's been posted here.

Linda welcome,

first of all, when in the reply mode, hover your mouse over the icons for a description, on the left of the one that looks like <> on the bottom row, is the image icon, click on that and copy the url into the box that pops up and hit okay but files, like the one above probably won't work so find the url if you can or make your own.

Hope that helps, anyway I'm sorry you didn't have more luck with Campbell but it seems to me whoever labelled what you described as "Campbell?" was just guessing and all they had to go on was his age.

Someone else pointed to the guy on the steps in the hat (helping the police perhaps) and that would seem more in line with what a manager would be doing at a time like this rather than standing among the riffraff looking useless.

I don't feel that the runner quite matches the build of Calvery girl in the evidence that's been posted here.

Unfortunately, the evidence regarding Gloria Calvery presented thus far would have us believe a Caucasian woman has morphed into a Negro or Hispanic woman. I believe it is time we take a serious look at just who Gloria Calvery was and what her movements were following the assassination.

"Gloria Jean Little Calvery*, worked in the Texas School Book Depository (TSBD), as an employee of the Southwestern Publishing Co. and was one of the extremely close witnesses to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. She and 3 of her office co-workers, Karan Hicks, Karen Westbrook, and Carol Reed, were standing on the sidewalk on the north side of Elm Street about 1/2 way between Houston St. and the Triple Underpass, to the east of the Stemmons Fwy sign. According to her own FBI Statement taken 3/19/64 - Commission Exhibit 1381 - she said she heard the first shot when the President's limo was directly in front of her:

Except for the "1/2 way between Houston St. and the Triple Underpass" description, which would put her down in front of the extant Z313 headshot, I'd say this was her.

chris

P.S.

Also, the "skirt" under the Thornton sign. Of course, that is supposed to be Beatrice Hester. Compare it to the "skirt" in Darnell's "Baker/Truly" clip.

post-5057-0-46526100-1437751033.jpg

Edited by Chris Davidson

Except for the "1/2 way between Houston St. and the Triple Underpass" description, which would put her down in front of the extant Z313 headshot, I'd say this was her.

chris

P.S.

Also, the "skirt" under the Thornton sign. Of course, that is supposed to be Beatrice Hester. Compare it to the "skirt" in Darnell's "Baker/Truly" clip.

Good find, Chris. If the part about Ms. Calvery being 10-15 feet behind Baker is going to be believed, though, we need to find a woman in a light coloured top.

Calvery.jpg

By light colored, I assume you don't mean white. Which means the woman near the light post closest to the Thornton sign in Z, can't be her.

Once again, maybe pieces of the FBI statement in her name is a bunch of B.S.

chris

post-5057-0-08045900-1437798213_thumb.jpg

chris

P.S.

Good find, Chris. If the part about Ms. Calvery being 10-15 feet behind Baker is going to be believed, though, we need to find a woman in a light coloured top.

Calvery.jpg

If the diminutive suit-and-hat-weating guy facing Baker in this frame is Truly, couldn't the tall suit-wearing-but-hatless guy at the left corner of the first step be Ochus Virgil Campbell? The guy I'm talking about is in the background and you can see his white shirt collar behind "Jumbo" who is more in the foreground.

Didn't Campbell testify that he went down toward the grassy knoll after the final shot? And wasn't he supposedly with Truly somewhere in front of the TSBD during the assassination? Finding Campbell in Darnell / Crouch, Wiegman, etc, might help us to more positively identify Truly in them.

IMHO, we really need a verified photo of O. V. Campbell to help us identify Campbell and Truly in the assassination films and photos.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Unfortunately, the evidence regarding Gloria Calvery presented thus far would have us believe a Caucasian woman has morphed into a Negro or Hispanic woman. I believe it is time we take a serious look at just who Gloria Calvery was and what her movements were following the assassination.

Robert, I meant the new evidence, that Linda posted of the stocky Gloria Little doesn't quite match the slim woman running to the entrance, also if you study what Chris posted it suggests that same woman must have ran from a position near the TSBD.

According to Smith, a woman has already told him to check the bushes before the newsmen started filming, that is, someone else witnessed what happened in the limo first hand and ran the full length of Elm screaming, ran past everyone, most of whom were no longer watching the limo and missed it. She ran into Smith outside the TSBD right where Couch, Darnell and Baker where sat and before anyone one of them reacted, perhaps that could have been Gloria, I don't know but if the tale of this screaming woman is true then that is probably what we see in Darnell/Couch, she alone was the cause of the ruckus seen on film outside the building and it was she that told Couch, Darnell and Baker that something major had occurred.

If the woman who talked to Smith then ran to the steps of the building we now have a reason for these witnesses to be looking in that direction.

As seen in Couch, Smith is already on his way to the knoll with his gun out and the running woman we do see, seems to have had little to do with that.

We're missing twenty seconds of evidence because apparently both Couch and Darnell did not react to the firecracker like sounds.

Apperently there may be a witness who saw Baker go up the steps after sprinting from his motorcycle. Of course, it is another of those FBI "reports" which we have found to be SO reliable.

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

Date 11/24/63

PAULINE E. SANDERS, 4226 Delmar, a Clerk, Texas School Book Depository, 411 Elm Street, advised she arrived at work at 8:45 a.m., on November 22, 1963, and immediately reported to the main office where she was employed. She said she was aquainted with LEE HARVEY OSWALD who worked in the warehouse sectio and she has seen him three or four times during lunch breaks in the lunch room but did not talk to him on any occasion. She said he was very quiet and she had never seen him talking to any of the other employees that she could recall. She said she would not be in a position to observe what time he arrived at work or the way he arrived.

She said on the morning of November 22, 1963, she went outside to watch the Presidential parade at about 11:25 a.m. She said she did not see OSWALD during this time and she stood in the last line of spectators nearest the door to the Texas School Book Depository building. She advised she could not recall the exact time but immediately after the presidential parade passed she heard three loud blasts and she immediately realized that the shots or whatever it was came from the building above her. She said within a matter of ten seconds a uniform police officer in a white helmet ran into the building but she did not observe him any further and could not state where he went in the building.

Mrs. SANDERS advised that Mr. Campbell, Office Manager, arrived shortly after the police officer entered the building and she told him she believed the blasts came from the upper part of the building however he insisted the shots came from the embankment. She advised she did not pursue the matter any further and she entered the building within five minutes of the blast. She said she did not observe OSWALD in the lobby but the lobby was crowded with people at this time. She said she did notice a uniform police officer talking to an individual dressed in grey clothing with a silver type construction helmet and he claimed to be an engineer. She said he definitely did not work in the building and she had never seen him before. She said the police officer appeared to be taking his name and address. She said she did not observe whether the elevator was in use or not and she could not recall whether it was on the first floor but she did use the stairwell and walked to the second floor where their offices are maintained. She said she could not recall seeing OSWALD the entire day and at this time the only thing that was on her mind was whether the President had died.

Mrs. SANDERS advised that this morning she called GERALDINE REID, another employee, telephone number FE 1-6617, who told her that the police officer who had first entered the building ran into the lunch room where Mr. TRULY, the warehouse manager, and OSWALD were evidently lunching. The police officer put his gun into OSWALD's stomach but TRULY advised the police officer that OSWALD worked for him. Police officer turned turned away and evidently left the area. She said according to REID, OSWALD then went to the main office and REID, although she had not observed the initial incident with the police officer, told OSWALD that the President had been shot. According to SANDERS, Mrs. REID claimed that OSWALD just mumbled something and left the office. She said Reid did not mention how OSWALD left the office or for that matter if she knew how he might have left the building. SANDERS advised that the stairwell would probably have been the easiest way to leave without being too noticeable since the stairwell is in need of repairs and employees had been instructed not to use the stairwell.

on 11/24/63 at Dallas, Texas File # DL 89-43

By Special Agent ROBERT E. HASAM and ROBERT J. ANDERSON Date Dictated 11/24/63