The Education Forum

The Man on the Grassy Knoll

The difficulty in identifying rogers is the lack of photographs of him at the time of the assassination, perhaps some more tests could be carried out by another expert to either prove or disprove the findings. (John Geraghty)

John,

Below is a photograph of Charles Rogers circa 1958. Not great quality unfortunately.

Interesting to note that a few months after Charles Rogers' parents were murdered, a man was arrested for disorderly conduct. He told the arresting officer at the scene that his name was Charles Frederick Rogers. By the time they got him back to the station, he claimed his name was William C. Hughes Jr.

Two people who knew Rogers were brought in and they claimed the prisoner was indeed Charles Rogers, son of the murdered couple. Police eventually compared fingerprints and said the man was not Rogers and he was released. However they didn't say who this man was or why Rogers' prints were on file.

FWIW.

James

James,

This pic looks remarkedly like Lois Gibson's sculpture. I know you have excellent sources for pics, but I cannot imagine where you aquired this one. I thought Rogers literally disappeared off the map. The pic in "The Man on the Grassy Knoll" is from 1945.

I agree that Rogers does not look like the "small tramp", nor do I think Harrelson resembles the "tall tramp". I always used to think the third tramp was E Howard Hunt, tho I have been often pulled by the explanations given by the Holt story, including several emails I had with Holt's daughter a few years back.

Whatever his role-if any- in the murder of JFK- this is one very intensely fascinating book and deserves a read by every serious researcher. Charles Rogers was clearly doing intelligence work and that he was able to just vanish after the brutal murder of his parents demonstrates the power of the intelligence programs-even back then.

I totally concur with Shanet's post above.

Dawn

Interesting to note that a few months after Charles Rogers' parents were murdered, a man was arrested for disorderly conduct. He told the arresting officer at the scene that his name was Charles Frederick Rogers. By the time they got him back to the station, he claimed his name was William C. Hughes Jr.

Two people who knew Rogers were brought in and they claimed the prisoner was indeed Charles Rogers, son of the murdered couple. Police eventually compared fingerprints and said the man was not Rogers and he was released. However they didn't say who this man was or why Rogers' prints were on file.

http://members.aol.com/brittvanm/ssn596/decom13.htm

Weird.

Lee,

That is weird. By now though, we should be used to weirdness by the bucketful. I wonder where William C. Hughes Jr. was in 1965.

Dawn,

I submit there is much more to the Charles Rogers story yet to unfold. I do not believe he was involved with the Kennedy assassination and I have some doubts that he killed his parents. That aside, there are two chapters to Rogers' story that may help fill in the blanks. One is the time he spent in North Mexico and the other is connections he had in Brisbane, Australia. Rogers' was initially there during 1943 as part of an R & R stop and I believe he maintained contacts until his disappearance.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

Lee,

If this guy under arrest was Rogers, then William C. Hughes Jr. seems like a strange and somewhat specific name to pull out of one's hat. If the man under arrest was indeed Hughes, then to say his name was Charles Frederick Rogers is also specific and bizarre to say the least.

Befuddled as usual. :hotorwot

James

James,

Good on you for digging out this old post and breathing a bit of life into it. I concur with Dawn that this photo does bear a great deal of resemblance to Lois Gibsons sculpture.

I'm trying to locate Rogers and Craig and hopefully I can get in contact with them while I'm here in the States.

John

Hi Guys,

I met Rogers and Craig right after they finished the book and signed the deal with the paperback publisher, circa 1992-3?

I was on a cross-country train trip, having left New Orleans and was heading to Dallas. They met me at the Houston train station and gave me a tour of the Rogers' home site, the church where they met, the bowling alley, etc. I stayed one night at John Rogers house with him, his wife and newborn baby. Rogers was a mild and intelligent school teacher and truck driver while Craig was a hard nosed private eye who said that he was going to write a book about Howard Hughes. I accompanied them to a lawyers' office where they signed a book contract the lawyer said was okay. He was a Houston maritime/Teamster lawyer they got through Craig. They also took me up to meet Lois Gibson at her office in the upper floor of the HPD. That night they let me make an audio cassette tape of the video taped interview they did with Chauncy Holt at an airport lounge, which I made a transcript of and passed around to other researchers. They also had a copy of Chauncey's manuscript, which was about six inches thick.I then interviewed Holt myself on that trip.

Years later, in talking with Rogers' wife on the phone, John was back driving a truck, they had lost contact with Craig, and never got any royalties from the book.

I don't think Charles Rogers is the Frenchy Tramp either, or why Gibson identfied him as such.

She is very good at what she does however.

Gibson also talked with some Grassy Knoll witnesses as well, and put together a composit sketch of the man in the rain coat and SS credentials - a sketch that looks remarkably like Charles Nicoletti.

BK