The Education Forum

New Book!

The National Archives has many "Key Persons Files" that are related to JFK's assassination. Many of those NARA documents are posted online as jpg files.

I recently converted the NARA file on Robert A. Surrey (Walker's aide) into pdf documents. If anyone would like a copy - send me your email address (to ernie1241@aol.com) and I will forward you the file. Surrey's NARA file will also be on Internet Archive at a later date --- probably toward the end of this year when I send the Archive another batch of files to upload.

Surrey's file contains Dallas PD reports, US Secret Service Protective Service reports as well as Surrey's entire testimony before the Warren Commission.

Thanks, Ernie, for that generous offer. Many know, yet perhaps some do not know, that Robert Allen Surrey was the President of the American Eagle Publishing Company that was owned by the resigned General Walker.

Robert Allen Surrey met the resigned Major General Edwin Walker in early 1962 during his campaign for Governor of the State of Texas, and never left his side until after the JFK murder.

Robert Allen Surrey was actually a professional printing executive, and worked for a company in Dallas with varied clients. Surrey was also the main publisher for the American Nazi Party, and a personal acquaintance of George Lincoln Rockwell.

When Walker appeared before the April 1962 Senate Subcommittee on Military Preparedness which heard testimony about the alleged "firing" of General Walker from the US Army, Robert Allen Surrey was by his side. (George Lincoln Rockwell also made a personal appearance at those hearings, dressed in full Nazi regalia, and greatly embarrassed Walker, damaging his case.)

Walker spoke poorly at those hearings, and afterwards lost his bid for Governor of Texas -- yet Surrey stood by Walker and set up his own office in Walker's Dallas home on Turtle Creek Boulevard, and took charge of Walker's publishing company -- taking no salary.

The main products of the American Eagle Publishing Company were the speeches of Edwin Walker, sold at $1 each (which is $10 today, adjusting for inflation). They sold these mainly to the members of the "Friends of Walker" group, and made ends meet with this income.

When Walker fomented a racial riot at Ole Miss University in September 1962, Robert Allen Surrey was also by Walker's side there. Soon after Walker was acquitted for his role in those riots by an all-white Grand Jury in Mississippi in January 1963, Walker and segregationist Reverend Billy James Hargis made a coast to coast tour, preaching that the United Nations and JFK were secret Communist agents.

During that tour, Robert Allen Surrey remained behind in Dallas and noticed when a pair of men were snooping and taking photographs of Walker's home in Dallas, and chased them away (but didn't catch them). Also during that period, Surrey along with Walker's secretary, Julia Knecht, decided to kick Walker's bisexual house-guest, William McDuff, out of the house because they didn't like him personally.

When Walker returned from his coast-to-coast tour in April 1963, he tried desperately to contact William McDuff, but could not find him. Also, somebody tried to shoot Walker in his home in Dallas on Wednesday 10 April 1963 -- and Walker claimed that a few days later, "a Lieutenant" in the DPD told him that his shooter had been Lee Harvey Oswald, who was in custody that night, but was released on orders from Washington DC.

Walker became convinced for the rest of his life that RFK had sent Oswald to kill him. This belief is repeated often in Walker's personal papers. See, for example, this 1991-1992 article -- the last he wrote before his death in 1993: http://www.pet880.com/images/19920119_EAW_Oswald_arrested.pdf

On the day of the JFK murder, the WANTED FOR TREASON: JFK handbills (which were modeled from Minuteman handbills featuring Nikita Khrushchev) circulated around Dallas -- and the Warren Commission found that Robert Allen Surrey was their publisher.

Robert Allen Surrey is, IMHO, a person of interest in the JFK murder -- and was the only person questioned by the Warren Commission who pleaded the Fifth Amendment in his testimony -- perhaps a dozen times.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and have no doubt about the underlying hatred of the old south towards JFK. Paul is there an implication that 'the old south' had something to do with JFK being killed? That must be one of those '13 conspiracy theories'. But it's one I haven't heard. Who were the members of the conspiracy that were mostly known for their relationship to 'the old south' ? Just curious.

Well, Kenneth, this new book by Dr. Jeffrey Caufield, namely, General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: The Extensive New Evidence of a Radical-Right Conspiracy, provides a focus on the American right wing in the murder of JFK -- and in 1963 that featured the Confederate Flag.

Granted, there have been few who have proposed that JFK was killed first and foremost over Civil Rights. Yet Medgar Evers was slaughtered in his own driveway in Mississippi on the very night that JFK made his 11 June 1963 speech on Civil Rights. (Medgar Evers was the NAACP officer who helped James Meredith become the first Black American to attend Ole Miss University in 1962).

Yet I suspect that Dr. Caufield will name the members of the "Old South" conspiracy who killed JFK, including the resigned General Walker, along with Guy Banister and the White Citizens' Councils of Texas and Louisiana.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Thanks Paul, I'm one of those old guys from the old south, being originally from Georgia. I certainly have no specific knowledge of who did or did not kill JFK, but I'm gonna suggest that if there were an 'old southerner' that might have been more responsible than any other, it likely was LBJ. But, that's just a guess

Interestingly, the man who created Cointelpro i'm pretty sure was not from the South and waved no rebel flag, yet created an counter insurgency intel program to stifle, first and foremost, the Civil Rights movement. Oh, and he was in a most advantageous position to assist in a presidential assassination. Oh, and he had one of the most convincing motives as any one man can have. Oh, and his best bud singularly owned, next to the loss of life, the world's two most motivating motives, the loss of career and the loss of freedom.

I'm not debating, i'm just saying. The fear of and the animosity toward the Civil Rights movement was fairly pervasive - it was probably just well costumed.

Thanks, I can assure people that their are startling revelations in this book. It's not just about Walker, it's over 900 pages and covers a large area of Right Wing activity from 1956 through 1968.

From the likes of Guy Bainister to James O. Eastland to Joesph Milteer to HL Hunt, Robert Morris,Walker, Hoover etc etc........it covers the gamut. The book was originally over 1,200 pages, but the publisher though it best to keep under that figure. So,some things had to be left out or condensed. Hopefully a website in the future can be a repository for these eliminated items and more. This work will be self published and all costs are paid out of pocket. We don't expect to make much at all, it was a labor of love and a search for truth.

Bill

Those of us who are old enough to remember those dark and incomprehensible days of November 1963 have never thought of this subject as merely a crime. Something profound changed in our country as a consequence of JFK's murder---and that something has never been made right.

Subsequent developments including the murders of RFK and MLK only deepened our depression and the sense that we had lost our way as a nation. Then the Vietnam War, the racial riots, Watergate, and the resignation of Nixon made it impossible to believe that we could ever believe in ourselves and our future potential again.

Given this background, it comes as no surprise that 52 years later we still want to find some indisputable answer and some unmistakable villain(s) who were clearly responsible for taking our innocence from us. And I am absolutely certain that on the 100-year anniversary of JFK's murder, a new generation will still be arguing about whom was responsible.

Mr Lazar, i like the first two paragraphs so much that i would ask your permission to quote them, for the most part, on another website i'm beginning. with proper credit, of course.

well said. well focused.

on another website i'm beginning. What's that about?

I'm a professional, contractual web developer and programmer. I haven't wanted to work all that much for a while, and so I've been puttering about with two or three of my own projects, one (my most energetic by far, of course) being a "JFK" site mainly catering to the uninformed by way of 1) the more pertinent, tangible and understandable data, and 2) more logically organized data.

i'm about to go lay up in the VA hospital for a considerable length of time, and I very fully look forward to getting a lot done and getting on some of your nerves. a lot.

just kidding. mostly.

Regarding Robert Allen Surrey, it may be interesting that Larrie Schmidt, who knew Robert Allen Surrey personally in 1963, told me in 2012 that Surrey never even once mentioned his membership in the American Nazi Party (ANP) publicly.

Larrie says he never knew -- and never would have guessed -- that Robert Allen Surrey had been a member of the ANP in 1963. And Larrie interacted with Robert Allen Surrey in several social situations, including situations with attorney Robert Morris and other society leaders in Dallas.

Furthermore, Larrie told me that Robert Allen Surrey personally asked Larrie if he knew anybody who could be the chauffeur for the resigned General Walker, and Larrie mentioned his brother Robbie Schmidt, who had recently finished his second tour of duty for the US Army. In the Army, Robbie Schmidt had been a General's Aide, so he was hired immediately, on Larrie's good word.

The pay was small -- room and board and $35 weekly -- and Robbie jumped at the chance. (Remember that adjusted for inflation, 1963 dollars were worth about ten times what dollars are worth today.) So that means that Robbie Schmidt lived there in the Dallas home of the resigned General Walker, and every morning he would see Robert Allen Surrey arrive at his office -- which was downstairs in Walker's home on Turtle Creek Boulevard.

That is to say, Robbie Schmidt would see Robert Allen Surrey every workday from about April 1963, all year long -- what to speak of social visits.

It's significant that in his testimony for the Warren Commission, Bernie Weissman (an original member of Larrie Schmidt's small CUSA organization) claims that he saw a stack of WANTED FOR TREASON: JFK handbills in the back seat of the car that Robbie Schmidt was driving around for the resigned General Walker. That's significant because the Warren Commission also concluded that Robert Allen Surrey was the author of those handbills.

So -- the connection is pretty solid there; Robbie Schmidt interacted with Robert Allen Surrey on a regular basis. Larrie refused to tell me any details about his late brother, Robbie Schmidt, however, and he still holds his brother in the very highest esteem. Bernie Weissman, however, didn't share that sentiment about Robbie Schmidt.

My point is that the Nazi status of Robert Allen Surrey was allegedly his tightly held secret in polite Dallas society -- and the bourgeois JBS members of Dallas were allegedly unaware of his ANP status.

Clearly, this contradicts the suspicions of Mae Brussell, who suspected that the resigned General Walker was linked with the Nazi Party through his personal friend, the former Nazi, Gerhard Frey of Germany (who was the editor of the German newspaper, Deutsche Nationalzeitung, and who first heard from Walker on 11/23/1963 that Lee Harvey Oswald had been Walker's shooter back in April of that year). Mae Brussell then cited Robert Allen Surrey's ANP membership and concluded that the resigned General Walker "must have been" a secret Nazi.

I won't take that leap of faith. I've scoured Walker's personal papers and speeches, and I cannot find any evidence whatsoever that links Walker with the Nazi ideology. Walker was devoted to the South and to White Dixiecrat supremacy as symbolized by the Confederate Flag -- not the Nazi flag. (The difference is huge for those who've actually read Mein Kampf, but Mae Brussell didn't dally with such differences.)

I'm sure Walker was invited to join the ANP -- but he never joined. In the same way, Walker was invited to be a Grand Dragon for the KKK, but he turned them down.

The resigned General Walker was a member of the John Birch Society and the Minutemen -- and no other organization. It is possible (though not final) that Larrie Schmidt is correct that Robert Allen Surrey never told any of the middle class folks in Dallas that he was a member of the ANP. I'll give Larrie the benefit of the doubt.

All that said, there is some evidence that Robert Welch, head of the JBS, knew that Robert Allen Surrey ran with the ANP, and disapproved firmly with Walker's relationship with Surrey. Birchers were not Nazis. Blind Anticommunists, yes; Nazis, no.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul, Walker never joined the ANP, you are correct. In fact I came across some personal correspondence of Surrey's, sent to a mutual friend of the two ( Walker and Surrey). In these letters and Xmas cards, it was apparent that Surrey and his wife had a falling out with Walker over the fact that Walker refused to join Surrey's ANP group. This was several years after 1963, I'm inclined to say around 1966'-67' I'm going on memory, as these files are not handy at the moment. I will look it up in time.

I'd rather not divulge this "friends", name or the collection it was found in till after the book is out for awhile. However it is indicative that Walker and others knew of Surrey's private involvement with the ANP. You are also correct that this was a concern to Robert Welch, who feared he had lost Ted to the extremists.

Bill

Edited by William O'Neil

Thanks, I can assure people that their are startling revelations in this book. It's not just about Walker, it's over 900 pages and covers a large area of Right Wing activity from 1956 through 1968.

From the likes of Guy Bainister to James O. Eastland to Joesph Milteer to HL Hunt, Robert Morris,Walker, Hoover etc etc........it covers the gamut. The book was originally over 1,200 pages, but the publisher though it best to keep under that figure. So,some things had to be left out or condensed. Hopefully a website in the future can be a repository for these eliminated items and more. This work will be self published and all costs are paid out of pocket. We don't expect to make much at all, it was a labor of love and a search for truth.

Bill

Those of us who are old enough to remember those dark and incomprehensible days of November 1963 have never thought of this subject as merely a crime. Something profound changed in our country as a consequence of JFK's murder---and that something has never been made right.

Subsequent developments including the murders of RFK and MLK only deepened our depression and the sense that we had lost our way as a nation. Then the Vietnam War, the racial riots, Watergate, and the resignation of Nixon made it impossible to believe that we could ever believe in ourselves and our future potential again.

Given this background, it comes as no surprise that 52 years later we still want to find some indisputable answer and some unmistakable villain(s) who were clearly responsible for taking our innocence from us. And I am absolutely certain that on the 100-year anniversary of JFK's murder, a new generation will still be arguing about whom was responsible.

Mr Lazar, i like the first two paragraphs so much that i would ask your permission to quote them, for the most part, on another website i'm beginning. with proper credit, of course.

well said. well focused.

on another website i'm beginning. What's that about?

I'm a professional, contractual web developer and programmer. I haven't wanted to work all that much for a while, and so I've been puttering about with two or three of my own projects, one (my most energetic by far, of course) being a "JFK" site mainly catering to the uninformed by way of 1) the more pertinent, tangible and understandable data, and 2) more logically organized data.

i'm about to go lay up in the VA hospital for a considerable length of time, and I very fully look forward to getting a lot done and getting on some of your nerves. a lot.

just kidding. mostly.

i'm about to go lay up in the VA hospital for a considerable length of time, I hope it's nothing too serious, the VA has gone downhill a lot in the last few years, especially under the present regime', but maybe they'll take good care of you.

thanks - i'm fine.

I've been a member of the Atlanta VA for about 30 years. Its efficiency has ebbed and flowed like Waimea Beach. During this latest public 'snafu,' the scandalous performances have been quite national, and federally responsible, as you've noticed.

Certain Med Centers had their individual parts in it all, and Atlanta is included. As far as I've experienced, though, the actual medical care that we were and are receiving has never been in question - just the pathetically apathetic, archaic means of getting the patients face time with doctors.

Ninety percent of our doctors are Emory Doctors - some of the best you can get anywhere. I'm in good hands.

The nurses, on the other hand, are all unattractive and ornery approaching a point of general competence. Welcome to the VA.

Glenn,

What branch did you serve in, and, were you in Viet Nam? My father was a 20yr career military man and a Viet Nam veteran as well. He didn't deal too much with the VA here in CO.

I'm US Navy - VA 105 Light Attack Squadron (A-7E Corsairs). My ship, the USS Forrestal, was in the Gulf of Tonkin with John McCain, who was in the lucky cockpit when the ship caught fire in 1967, but alas, i was unable to be there. I was only 5.

Glenn,

What branch did you serve in, and, were you in Viet Nam? My father was a 20yr career military man and a Viet Nam veteran as well. He didn't deal too much with the VA here in CO.

I'm US Navy - VA 105 Light Attack Squadron (A-7E Corsairs). My ship, the USS Forrestal, was in the Gulf of Tonkin with John McCain, who was in the lucky cockpit when the ship caught fire in 1967, but alas, i was unable to be there. I was only 5.

Very strange, we've got more in common than you think. I was also on the Forrestal, back when it was brand new almost. I served on it from early 58 til July 61, so I had left it about 6 years before Johnny did his stunt in 67. I was a Radarman,2nd Class so we got to control all those aircraft. If my memory is correct most of our squadrons were from Cecil Field. I guess 105 came along a little later.

loved being on the Forrestal. I lived near Mayport before I joined the Navy and it came into Mayport several times and I toured it. I joined Navy, went to RD school, requested service on Forrestal and got it. Just curious, you know where the Forrestal is now?

Edited by Kenneth Drew

yep, VA 105, NAS Cecil Field. Jacksonville, FL. America's navel. LCdr Scott Speicher was the very first american casualty of the first Gulf War when his F18 was shot down by an incredibly lucky Iraqi when Scott made an error on his turnback (the story is told in a book called Bogeys and Bandits, about the training and fighting capabilities of a few special F18 pilots). Lt Speicher was a Corsair pilot in VA 105 and i remembered him well when i saw his name on the casualty list Jan 16, 1991.

He was never recovered - when we went back into Iraq our illustrious govt didn't want to mess with finding his him until an iraqi showed someone the downed plane and an intact flight-suit. meaning of course that he'd survived the down and ... who knows ... it was in the news periodically because his family were trying to get attention drawn to the govt's apathy in order to find him, but to no avail.

anyway, i don't know why i went into that. one of those things that connects you to something so otherwise foreign and terrible.

The Forrestal was unable to sell to scrap metal companies, so it eventually sold to the highest bidder for an entire dollar (the truth, as you're probably aware). Even the Coast Guard didn't want it.

Paul - do you personally, after years of Walker research, think that RFK sent Oswald to kill Walker?

In all sincerity, and obvious ignorance, is it even being suggested - is it in any way a possibility - that RFK knew LHO?