The Education Forum

New Book!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it me or did someone actually equate Gene McCarthy with Gen. Walker?

why yes they did!

After that bit of politics, Edwin Walker was an outspoken Anticommunist on the order of Senator Eugene McCarthy, and for Edwin Walker the problem of Fidel Castro and Cuba was the most important political issue of 1962-1963.

​you know if someone ever tells me from this point on that they know who did something, i will know that it actually means in some weird newspeak that they don't really know who did it. crazy world ain't it.

Paul, here is a link to the beginnings of my opinions on book one. I'm enjoying reading it. I'm posting this link because it is about 6 pages as of now, a little lengthy to post here on this blog. If you think I should post it you can comment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Cl13iUKLkDin3fZ7ApqenBS1C8p4rAmDx9rm2uVtJw/edit

Respectfully,

Kenneth Drew

Kenneth, I'd like to get your opinion on my theory that General Walker was not removed from his command in Augsburg, Germany in April 1961 because of his JBS membership or his Pro-Blue program (as if the Pentagon was ignorant of this before it was printed in the US Army newspaper, Overseas Weekly).

Rather, General Walker was removed from his command because of his "shore flap" with the Overseas Weekly in Europe during the Cold War.

The charges of Right-wing extremism were not made of Walker in his "admonishment" -- but it is only the CT literature of the past 50 years which has tried to sensationalize his removal -- trying to invent some 1961 clash between JFK and General Walker.

Actually, on April 16, 1961, JFK wasn't at all interested in the contents of the Overseas Weekly newspaper, because he was smack in the middle of the Bay of Pigs fiasco.

While it's true that General Walker held the general JBS attitude against JFK, it's also true that JFK didn't think about Walker very often at all -- since he was far too busy to be bothered with such trivial matters as an Overseas Weekly article.

Opinions?

All best,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

UPDATE RE: FBI FILES ONLINE

About a year ago, I sent my contact at the Internet Archive website a DVD containing about 100 new FBI files which I asked him to add to my Archive webpage here: https://archive.org/details/lazarfoia?sort=titleSorter∧[]=mediatype%3A%22collection%22

For some unknown reason, none of those files were added to my FBI File Collection online. Today, I have uploaded all those missing files into my personal Archive Library webpage (link below) along with additional files received since last year. https://archive.org/details/@ernie1241?sort=titleSorter

I still have many FOIA requests pending at FBI and at NARA --- so there will be further additions over the next year (my pending FOIA requests are listed at the bottom of this email).

There is an alphabetical listing below of all the files which I just added (organized into subject categories) which you can use as a quick reference.

However, here are a few things you should know:

1. I do not have access to the webpage which was originally created by my Internet Archive contact. Consequently, I am not able to add any files to that webpage nor do I currently know how to create the 10 general subject categories shown on my “Ernie Lazar FOIA Collection” webpage. https://archive.org/details/lazarfoia?sort=titleSorter∧[]=mediatype%3A%22collection%22

2. Consequently, everything which I just added to my Archive Library webpage is not entered into the original webpage nor is anything organized into discrete subject categories. Everything is just thrown together in alphabetical order. All my future file additions will be entered into my personal Archives Library webpage.

3. You will notice some file listings below that show “1A” or “2A” or other similar file numbers.

The “A” refers to sub-files which the FBI created and appended to its main file(s). Almost always those sub-files (A or B) contain publications – mostly newspaper and magazine articles or copies of other printed matter which the Bureau did not want to put into the main file due to size.

4. You will also sometimes notice the prefix “EBF” which means “enclosure behind file”. Usually, the EBF number is the same as the sequential serial number. An EBF usually refers to some bulky item which the Bureau filed separately in back of the main file serials. EBF’s are often copies of books, pamphlets, newsletters, monographs, or the transcript of testimony before a Congressional Committee etc. For example: HUAC-EBF 4148 is a 339 page publication entitled “Supplement to the Cumulative Index to Publications of the House Committee on Un-American Activities”. Other HUAC EBF’s are transcripts of testimony by witnesses at HUAC hearings.

5. If you wish to select a specific file, you will see several “download options” on the right-side of the webpage.

a. If you just want to scroll through the pdf file – you can select the “PDF” option

b. If you want to be able to search the pdf file for specific subjects, names, or terms – then select “PDF with text” [use control+F to produce a search field]

c. Just for clarity – the instructions above refer to the files which I have just added (dated August 2016). All of the pdf files in my “Ernie Lazar FOIA Collection” webpage are already searchable. Maybe someday I will figure out how to make this easier for everyone!

6. FYI – About 99% of what I have uploaded consists of FBI files (HQ and field office) or records possessed by the FBI which came from other entities such as military intelligence units. However, there are some items which are not FBI or government agency records and I will be adding more of this type of material in the future because it is often totally non-existent in our libraries and has historical research value.

7. Lastly, please ignore the August 2016 files which are listed as “Ernie Lazar FBI File Collection”. Those were mistakes on my part—but I don’t know how to delete them---lol.

ALPHABETICAL LIST BY CATEGORIES

These are the files which I just added to my Library webpage (dated August 2016)

CPUSA

Chambers, Whittaker = HQ section 1-1

Coplon, Judith = HQ sections 1 thru 13

CPUSA Members-New York City 100-80638, = sections 7 and 8

CPUSA-New York City = NYC 100-4931, sections 138-2, 138-3, 248, 250, 251, 253

FBI SAC Letter 60-30 regarding the FBI Reserve Index

Hiss, Alger = HQ section 1

House Committee on Un-American Activities (aka HUAC) = sections 129-134 and EBF’s 4028, 4104, 4107, 4108, 4123, 4148, 4154, 4162, 4218, 4220, 4226

Straight, Michael W. = HQ section 1

Sullivan, William C. – “Communism and Religion” speech 10/19/61 in Dallas TX

EXTREME RIGHT INDIVIDUALS AND ORGANIZATIONS

American Freedom Party = Los Angeles section 1

Association of Citizens Councils of Louisiana = HQ section 1

Butterworth, Herbert Wallace (aka Wally) = Philadelphia section 1

Caldwell, Taylor = HQ sections 1 thru 11

Carto, Willis Allison = San Francisco sections 1 and 1A

Circuit Riders, Inc. (Myers G. Lowman) = Honolulu-1 and Little Rock-1

Citizens Councils of America-Los Angeles 1-2

COINTELPRO: Disruption of White Hate Groups = Baltimore and Jacksonville

Constitution Party of the United States = HQ section 1

Davison, Mary McPhilomy = Army Intelligence memo and FBI HQ 1-2

Drennan, Stanley L. = Los Angeles section 1

FBI Monograph = American Nazi Party, Parts 1 and 2

Gale, William Potter = HQ section 1

Matthews, J.B. = HQ section 1

Mullins, Eustace = Integration News compiled/published by Mullins

National Association for the Advancement of White People = New York City and Newark

Project Alert School of Anti-Communism = Los Angeles section 1

Trent, Burgess D. /United Klans of America = HQ section 1

FBI ADMINISTRATIVE

FBI RIDS Dead List (May 2016) = HQ 1 (857pp)

[Note: when the FBI processes an FOIA request on a deceased person, it adds their name to their "RIDS Dead List". If you plan to make an FOIA request on somebody who is listed on the RIDS Dead List--tell the FBI that the dead person's name is on that list (in your request letter) so that you do not have to provide proof-of-death.]

FBI Employee Stats Chart 1900-2000

FBI EMPLOYEES

Banister, Guy (FBI SAC-Chicago) = HQ section 2, Personnel file section 1, and cross-references

Grapp, Wesley G. (FBI SAC-Los Angeles) = HQ sections 3 thru 6 and 9

Hoover, J. Edgar = HQ sections 1 thru 22 (1888pp)

Rothermel Jr., Paul M. = HQ section 1

Russell, Louis J. = HQ section 1 (many serials destroyed)

Wade, Henry Wade = HQ section 1

FBI INFORMANTS

FBI Security Informant Program = HQ sections 1-1 thru 1-12

FBI FILES – GENERAL SUBJECTS and OTHER INFO

American Civil Liberties Union = Los Angeles sections 28-32

American Civil Liberties Union, HQ serial #1032 on Burt Lancaster

American Right Wing – 11/60 publication by Ellsworth and Harris

Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith = Los Angeles sections 1-2

Bibliography of FBI Central Research Section Monographs (by subject matter) = HQ section 1

Brownell Jr., Herbert = HQ sections 1-8

Delano Grape Strike = Los Angeles section 1

Donner, Frank J, = HQ sections 1-4

FBI “JUNE Mail” File = HQ 66-1372

FBI Monograph = Israeli Intelligence Service in the United States

Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge = HQ sections 1-3

Freire, Joaquin = Chicago section 1

J. Edgar Hoover Foundation = HQ sections 1-3

J.U.R.E (anti-Castro exile group) = Los Angeles section 1

JFK Visit to Los Angeles in November 1961 = HQ section 1

July 26th Movement = HQ section 1

Overstreet, Harry – Correspondence to HUAC and FBI and replies

Possony, Stefan T. = Air Force Intelligence-1

JOHN BIRCH SOCIETY

John Birch Society = HQ sections 40-43 and EBF’s 18, 19, 33, 363, 892, 1445, 1711, 1870, 2236, 2541

John Birch Society = Albuquerque section 1

John Birch Society = Atlanta sections 1-3

John Birch Society = Chicago section 1

John Birch Society = Milwaukee section 1

MY PENDING FOIA REQUESTS

(most subjects shown below probably will be processed to completion by early 2017)

Adams, Donald A. (FBI Special Agent-Atlanta)

BAPBOMB-Meeting of Right Wing Groups-FBI file on October 1963 meeting in Indianapolis

Carto, Willis Allison – various FBI field offices and Carto-related organizations (listed separately)

Christian Defense League (William P. Gale/Wesley Swift)

Cobb, Alvin A. (United Klans of America – Atlanta)

Committee of the States (William P. Gale)

Constitution Party of the United States (Atlanta, Birmingham, Baltimore, Dallas, Denver, HQ, Indianapolis, Jackson, Knoxville, Los Angeles, Louisville, Miami, New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Tampa)

Davis Sr., Roy Elonza (KKK-Dallas TX area)

FBI SAC Letter 54-37

FBI-New Orleans field files on various white supremacy organizations

Grapp, Wesley G (FBI SAC-Los Angeles) – remainder of his HQ personnel file

Guy Banister Associates

John Birch Society—remainder of HQ main file = HQ sections 44 thru 60 and sub-A file and EBF’s

Koehl, Matt (HQ, Chicago, NYC, Milwaukee, New Orleans, St. Louis)

Legion for the Survival of Freedom (HQ and field offices / Carto)

Liberty and Property, Inc. (HQ and field offices / Carto)

Liberty Lobby (Carto)

Louisiana Intelligence Digest (Guy Banister newsletter)

Louisiana Un-American Activities Committee

Lowman, Myers G. (Circuit Riders Inc.)

Ministry of Christ Church (William P. Gale)

National Youth Alliance (HQ / Carto)

Noontide Press (HQ / Carto)

Northern League (HQ / Carto)

Right” newsletter (Carto)

Turner, William W. (FBI Special Agent fired by FBI)

Walker, Edwin Anderson—FBI Dallas field file (NARA is mailing it to me this week = 585pp)

About a year ago, I sent my contact at the Internet Archive website a DVD containing about 100 new FBI files which I asked him to add to my Archive webpage here: https://archive.org/details/lazarfoia?sort=titleSorter∧[]=mediatype%3A%22collection%22
For some unknown reason, none of those files were added to my FBI File Collection online. Today, I have uploaded all those missing files into my personal Archive Library webpage (link below) along with additional files received since last year. https://archive.org/details/@ernie1241?sort=titleSorter
I still have many FOIA requests pending at FBI and at NARA --- so there will be further additions over the next year (my pending FOIA requests are listed at the bottom of this email).
There is an alphabetical listing below of all the files which I just added (organized into subject categories) which you can use as a quick reference.
However, here are a few things you should know:
1. I do not have access to the webpage which was originally created by my Internet Archive contact. Consequently, I am not able to add any files to that webpage nor do I currently know how to create the 10 general subject categories shown on my “Ernie Lazar FOIA Collection” webpage. https://archive.org/details/lazarfoia?sort=titleSorter∧[]=mediatype%3A%22collection%22
2. Consequently, everything which I just added to my Archive Library webpage is not entered into the original webpage nor is anything organized into discrete subject categories. Everything is just thrown together in alphabetical order. All my future file additions will be entered into my personal Archives Library webpage.
3. You will notice some file listings below that show “1A” or “2A” or other similar file numbers.
The “A” refers to sub-files which the FBI created and appended to its main file(s). Almost always those sub-files (A or B) contain publications – mostly newspaper and magazine articles or copies of other printed matter which the Bureau did not want to put into the main file due to size.
4. You will also sometimes notice the prefix “EBF” which means “enclosure behind file”. Usually, the EBF number is the same as the sequential serial number. An EBF usually refers to some bulky item which the Bureau filed separately in back of the main file serials. EBF’s are often copies of books, pamphlets, newsletters, monographs, or the transcript of testimony before a Congressional Committee etc. For example: HUAC-EBF 4148 is a 339 page publication entitled “Supplement to the Cumulative Index to Publications of the House Committee on Un-American Activities”. Other HUAC EBF’s are transcripts of testimony by witnesses at HUAC hearings.
5. If you wish to select a specific file, you will see several “download options” on the right-side of the webpage.
a. If you just want to scroll through the pdf file – you can select the “PDF” option
b. If you want to be able to search the pdf file for specific subjects, names, or terms – then select “PDF with text” [use control+F to produce a search field]
c. Just for clarity – the instructions above refer to the files which I have just added (dated August 2016). All of the pdf files in my “Ernie Lazar FOIA Collection” webpage are already searchable. Maybe someday I will figure out how to make this easier for everyone!
6. FYI – About 99% of what I have uploaded consists of FBI files (HQ and field office) or records possessed by the FBI which came from other entities such as military intelligence units. However, there are some items which are not FBI or government agency records and I will be adding more of this type of material in the future because it is often totally non-existent in our libraries and has historical research value.
7. Lastly, please ignore the August 2016 files which are listed as “Ernie Lazar FBI File Collection”. Those were mistakes on my part—but I don’t know how to delete them---lol.
ALPHABETICAL LIST BY CATEGORIES
These are the files which I just added to my Library webpage (dated August 2016)
CPUSA
Chambers, Whittaker = HQ section 1-1
Coplon, Judith = HQ sections 1 thru 13
CPUSA Members-New York City 100-80638, = sections 7 and 8
CPUSA-New York City = NYC 100-4931, sections 138-2, 138-3, 248, 250, 251, 253
FBI SAC Letter 60-30 regarding the FBI Reserve Index
Hiss, Alger = HQ section 1
House Committee on Un-American Activities (aka HUAC) = sections 129-134 and EBF’s 4028, 4104, 4107, 4108, 4123, 4148, 4154, 4162, 4218, 4220, 4226
Straight, Michael W. = HQ section 1
Sullivan, William C. – “Communism and Religion” speech 10/19/61 in Dallas TX
EXTREME RIGHT INDIVIDUALS AND ORGANIZATIONS
American Freedom Party = Los Angeles section 1
Association of Citizens Councils of Louisiana = HQ section 1
Butterworth, Herbert Wallace (aka Wally) = Philadelphia section 1
Caldwell, Taylor = HQ sections 1 thru 11
Carto, Willis Allison = San Francisco sections 1 and 1A
Circuit Riders, Inc. (Myers G. Lowman) = Honolulu-1 and Little Rock-1
Citizens Councils of America-Los Angeles 1-2
COINTELPRO: Disruption of White Hate Groups = Baltimore and Jacksonville
Constitution Party of the United States = HQ section 1
Davison, Mary McPhilomy = Army Intelligence memo and FBI HQ 1-2
Drennan, Stanley L. = Los Angeles section 1
FBI Monograph = American Nazi Party, Parts 1 and 2
Gale, William Potter = HQ section 1
Matthews, J.B. = HQ section 1
Mullins, Eustace = Integration News compiled/published by Mullins
National Association for the Advancement of White People = New York City and Newark
Project Alert School of Anti-Communism = Los Angeles section 1
Trent, Burgess D. /United Klans of America = HQ section 1
FBI ADMINISTRATIVE
FBI RIDS Dead List (May 2016) = HQ 1 (857pp)
[Note: when the FBI processes an FOIA request on a deceased person, it adds their name to their "RIDS Dead List". If you plan to make an FOIA request on somebody who is listed on the RIDS Dead List--tell the FBI that the dead person's name is on that list (in your request letter) so that you do not have to provide proof-of-death.]
FBI Employee Stats Chart 1900-2000
FBI EMPLOYEES
Banister, Guy (FBI SAC-Chicago) = HQ section 2, Personnel file section 1, and cross-references
Grapp, Wesley G. (FBI SAC-Los Angeles) = HQ sections 3 thru 6 and 9
Hoover, J. Edgar = HQ sections 1 thru 22 (1888pp)
Rothermel Jr., Paul M. = HQ section 1
Russell, Louis J. = HQ section 1 (many serials destroyed)
Wade, Henry Wade = HQ section 1
FBI INFORMANTS
FBI Security Informant Program = HQ sections 1-1 thru 1-12
FBI FILES – GENERAL SUBJECTS and OTHER INFO
American Civil Liberties Union = Los Angeles sections 28-32
American Civil Liberties Union, HQ serial #1032 on Burt Lancaster
American Right Wing – 11/60 publication by Ellsworth and Harris
Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith = Los Angeles sections 1-2
Bibliography of FBI Central Research Section Monographs (by subject matter) = HQ section 1
Brownell Jr., Herbert = HQ sections 1-8
Delano Grape Strike = Los Angeles section 1
Donner, Frank J, = HQ sections 1-4
FBI “JUNE Mail” File = HQ 66-1372
FBI Monograph = Israeli Intelligence Service in the United States
Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge = HQ sections 1-3
Freire, Joaquin = Chicago section 1
J. Edgar Hoover Foundation = HQ sections 1-3
J.U.R.E (anti-Castro exile group) = Los Angeles section 1
JFK Visit to Los Angeles in November 1961 = HQ section 1
July 26th Movement = HQ section 1
Overstreet, Harry – Correspondence to HUAC and FBI and replies
Possony, Stefan T. = Air Force Intelligence-1
JOHN BIRCH SOCIETY
John Birch Society = HQ sections 40-43 and EBF’s 18, 19, 33, 363, 892, 1445, 1711, 1870, 2236, 2541
John Birch Society = Albuquerque section 1
John Birch Society = Atlanta sections 1-3
John Birch Society = Chicago section 1
John Birch Society = Milwaukee section 1
MY PENDING FOIA REQUESTS
(most subjects shown below probably will be processed to completion by early 2017)
Adams, Donald A. (FBI Special Agent-Atlanta)
BAPBOMB-Meeting of Right Wing Groups-FBI file on October 1963 meeting in Indianapolis
Carto, Willis Allison – various FBI field offices and Carto-related organizations (listed separately)
Christian Defense League (William P. Gale/Wesley Swift)
Cobb, Alvin A. (United Klans of America – Atlanta)
Committee of the States (William P. Gale)
Constitution Party of the United States (Atlanta, Birmingham, Baltimore, Dallas, Denver, HQ, Indianapolis, Jackson, Knoxville, Los Angeles, Louisville, Miami, New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Tampa)
Davis Sr., Roy Elonza (KKK-Dallas TX area)
FBI SAC Letter 54-37
FBI-New Orleans field files on various white supremacy organizations
Grapp, Wesley G (FBI SAC-Los Angeles) – remainder of his HQ personnel file
Guy Banister Associates
John Birch Society—remainder of HQ main file = HQ sections 44 thru 60 and sub-A file and EBF’s
Koehl, Matt (HQ, Chicago, NYC, Milwaukee, New Orleans, St. Louis)
Legion for the Survival of Freedom (HQ and field offices / Carto)
Liberty and Property, Inc. (HQ and field offices / Carto)
Liberty Lobby (Carto)
Louisiana Intelligence Digest (Guy Banister newsletter)
Louisiana Un-American Activities Committee
Lowman, Myers G. (Circuit Riders Inc.)
Ministry of Christ Church (William P. Gale)
National Youth Alliance (HQ / Carto)
Noontide Press (HQ / Carto)
Northern League (HQ / Carto)
Right” newsletter (Carto)
Turner, William W. (FBI Special Agent fired by FBI)
Walker, Edwin Anderson—FBI Dallas field file (NARA is mailing it to me this week = 585pp)

Addendum: I also have the complete FBI HQ main file on JFK's Assassination = HQ 62-109060 --- but it is extremely large and it is already available online so I did not add it to my personal Archive Library webpage.

<snip>

Ernie,

It's very interesting that you will soon have the FBI Dallas Field File on Ex-General Edwin Walker -- because he is the key suspect in the JFK assassination conspiracy according to this new book by Dr. Jeff Caufield, General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: the Extensive New Evidence of a Radical Right Conspiracy (2015).

If Dr. Caufield is right, then I would expect to find clues to the JFK assassination in this FBI Field File, for example:

(1) FBI knowledge that General Walker was the instigator of the humiliation of Ambassador Adlai Stevenson in Dallas at the Dallas Memorial Auditorium on 24 October 1963.

(2) FBI knowledge about General Walker that should have been handed over to the Secret Service PRS (Protective Research Section) in response to official Secret Service inquiries about all dangerous persons in Dallas a few days before the JFK visit to Dallas.

(3) FBI knowledge about General Walker's many claims that Lee Harvey Oswald was known to Dallas authorities as the Walker shooter back in April, 1963.

(4) FBI knowledge that connects General Walker, Robert Allen Surrey and FBI Agent James Hosty.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

<snip>

Ernie,

It's very interesting that you will soon have the FBI Dallas Field File on Ex-General Edwin Walker -- because he is the key suspect in the JFK assassination conspiracy according to this new book by Dr. Jeff Caufield, General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: the Extensive New Evidence of a Radical Right Conspiracy (2015).

If Dr. Caufield is right, then I would expect to find clues to the JFK assassination in this FBI Field File, for example:

(1) FBI knowledge that General Walker was the instigator of the humiliation of Ambassador Adlai Stevenson in Dallas at the Dallas Memorial Auditorium on 24 October 1963.

(2) FBI knowledge about General Walker that should have been handed over to the Secret Service PRS (Protective Research Section) in response to official Secret Service inquiries about all dangerous persons in Dallas a few days before the JFK visit to Dallas.

(3) FBI knowledge about General Walker's many claims that Lee Harvey Oswald was known to Dallas authorities as the Walker shooter back in April, 1963.

(4) FBI knowledge that connects General Walker, Robert Allen Surrey and FBI Agent James Hosty.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

I received an email today from NARA stating that the file is in the mail to me. I should have it by Monday.

With respect to your #1 = The FBI already was aware of that.

With respect to your #2 = I don't think the FBI had any credible information to suggest that Walker represented a danger or threat to the physical security of the President.

Like ALL radical right adherents, Walker was a severe critic of JFK's Administration and of JFK's policies--particularly with respect to Cuba but the threshold required for the FBI to formally advise the Secret Service (via standard form FD-376) required more than just criticism of the President or his Administration. The primary categories for such notification were:

1. has attempted or threatened bodily harm to government employee

2. has attempted or threatened to redress a grievance against any public official by other than legal means

3. is a member or participant in communist movement or is under active investigation as a member of some other group inimical to the U.S.

4. "subversives, ultra rightists, racists and fascists who meet one or more of the following criteria"

[Note: keep in mind that Paul Trejo has repeatedly denied for years that Walker was a racist]

** emotional instability such as irrational or suicidal behavior

** expression of violent anti-U.S. sentiments

** prior acts or statements indicating propensity for violence and antipathy toward good order and government

[Note: Paul keeps telling us that Walker was motivated by "patriotic" convictions]

Nevertheless, the FBI did routinely advise other government entities about Walker's activities and beliefs. FBI memos were sent to Army Intelligence (G-2), Naval Intelligence (ONI), Air Force Intelligence (OSI), the Assistant Attorney General who headed the Internal Security Division of the Department of Justice, local police departments (when applicable), and the White House. When Walker planned a demonstration in Los Angeles in November 1961 when JFK was also in town -- the Secret Service was also advised about that.

Ernie,

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

I received an email today from NARA stating that the file is in the mail to me. I should have it by Monday.

With respect to your #2 = I don't think the FBI had any credible information to suggest that Walker represented a danger or threat to the physical security of the President.

Like ALL radical right adherents, Walker was a severe critic of JFK's Administration and of JFK's policies--particularly with respect to Cuba but the threshold required for the FBI to formally advise the Secret Service (via standard form FD-376) required more than just criticism of the President or his Administration. The primary categories for such notification were:

2. has attempted or threatened to redress a grievance against any public official by other than legal means

3. is a member or participant in communist movement or is under active investigation as a member of some other group inimical to the U.S.

4. "subversives, ultra rightists, racists and fascists who meet one or more of the following criteria"

[Note: keep in mind that Paul Trejo has repeatedly denied for years that Walker was a racist]

** prior acts or statements indicating propensity for violence and antipathy toward good order and government

[Note: Paul keeps telling us that Walker was motivated by "patriotic" convictions]

Nevertheless, the FBI did routinely advise other government entities about Walker's activities and beliefs. FBI memos were sent to Army Intelligence (G-2), Naval Intelligence (ONI), Air Force Intelligence (OSI), the Assistant Attorney General who headed the Internal Security Division of the Department of Justice, local police departments (when applicable), and the White House. When Walker planned a demonstration in Los Angeles in November 1961 when JFK was also in town -- the Secret Service was also advised about that.

Well, Ernie, actually I have said that Ex-General Edwin Walker was a complex person, who showed both good and bad traits.

Also, as for the notion that Edwin Walker was somehow not dangerous in November 1963, one should recall that it was Walker who inspired and led the racial riots at Ole Miss University, to protest, among other things, the enrollment of the first Black American at that college, namely, James Meredith.

James Meredith, in turn, was personally supported by NAACP leader, Medgar Evers, who was later assassinated in his own driveway in Mississippi by KKK member, Byron De La Beckwith -- a personal contact of Ex-General Edwin Walker (whom Walker visited in prison in January 1964).

It is significant that Medgar Evers was assassinated only hours after the JFK Civil Rights speech of the evening of June 11, 1963.

Ex-General Walker is almost forgotten today -- but in 1962-1963 Walker was in the news. In 1962 alone, Walker was well-known as a candidate for Texas Governor, and then as the guy that JFK sent to an insane asylum for his role in the Ole Miss riots.

Ex-General Walker was released from that insane asylum in a few days by the ACLU, among other groups, and after he was acquitted by an all-white Mississippi jury of any role in the Ole Miss riots, Walker turned his attention in 1963 to making extreme right-wing speeches, coast to coast, in which he (like the JBS in general) would accuse JFK of cooperating with the Communists.

It was this Anticommunism which was at the root of the JFK assassination, IMHO, yet this Anticommunism was leavened with the yeast of the KKK and other opponents of the racial integration of public schools (and their demand to "Impeach Earl Warren").

It seems to me that Edwin Walker's activities were known to FBI Agent James Hosty in November 1963, and that those activities included the WANTED FOR TREASON: JFK handbill that circulated in Dallas, not only in November 1963, but also four weeks prior, in October 1963, in preparation for the humiliation of Adlai Stevenson.

James Hosty knew this (because he was the bridge partner of Walker's publisher Robert Allen Surrey) but Hosty told the Secret Service that he had no idea who was responsible for this handbill.

Edwin Walker was also close to the JBS group that wrote the WELCOME TO DALLAS, MISTER KENNEDY black-bordered Ad in the Dallas Morning News on the day of the JFK assassination. James Hosty was assigned to monitor the right-wing in Dallas, and Walker was at the center.

So James Hosty knew all this, but he failed to tell the Secret Service PRS (Protective Research Section) after they explicitly asked him.

It seems to me that FBI Agent James Hosty was "turned" by Robert Allen Surrey and Ex-General Edwin Walker.

It seems to me that the FBI Field File on Ex-General Edwin Walker should reflect these historical events.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Ernie,

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Well, Ernie, actually I have said that Ex-General Edwin Walker was a complex person, who showed both good and bad traits.

Also, as for the notion that Edwin Walker was somehow not dangerous in November 1963, one should recall that it was Walker who inspired and led the racial riots at Ole Miss University, to protest, among other things, the enrollment of the first Black American at that college, namely, James Meredith.

James Meredith, in turn, was personally supported by NAACP leader, Medgar Evers, who was later assassinated in his own driveway in Mississippi by KKK member, Byron De La Beckwith -- a personal contact of Ex-General Edwin Walker (whom Walker visited in prison in January 1964).

It is significant that Medgar Evers was assassinated only hours after the JFK Civil Rights speech of the evening of June 11, 1963.

Ex-General Walker is almost forgotten today -- but in 1962-1963 Walker was in the news. In 1962 alone, Walker was well-known as a candidate for Texas Governor, and then as the guy that JFK sent to an insane asylum for his role in the Ole Miss riots.

Ex-General Walker was released from that insane asylum in a few days by the ACLU, among other groups, and after he was acquitted by an all-white Mississippi jury of any role in the Ole Miss riots, Walker turned his attention in 1963 to making extreme right-wing speeches, coast to coast, in which he (like the JBS in general) would accuse JFK of cooperating with the Communists.

It was this Anticommunism which was at the root of the JFK assassination, IMHO, yet this Anticommunism was leavened with the yeast of the KKK and other opponents of the racial integration of public schools (and their demand to "Impeach Earl Warren").

It seems to me that Edwin Walker's activities were known to FBI Agent James Hosty in November 1963, and that those activities included the WANTED FOR TREASON: JFK handbill that circulated in Dallas, not only in November 1963, but also four weeks prior, in October 1963, in preparation for the humiliation of Adlai Stevenson.

James Hosty knew this (because he was the bridge partner of Walker's publisher Robert Allen Surrey) but Hosty told the Secret Service that he had no idea who was responsible for this handbill.

Edwin Walker was also close to the JBS group that wrote the WELCOME TO DALLAS, MISTER KENNEDY black-bordered Ad in the Dallas Morning News on the day of the JFK assassination. James Hosty was assigned to monitor the right-wing in Dallas, and Walker was at the center.

So James Hosty knew all this, but he failed to tell the Secret Service PRS (Protective Research Section) after they explicitly asked him.

It seems to me that FBI Agent James Hosty was "turned" by Robert Allen Surrey and Ex-General Edwin Walker.

It seems to me that the FBI Field File on Ex-General Edwin Walker should reflect these historical events.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

With respect to Oxford MS:

As Paul knows, there was a major dispute about the precise nature of what Walker said and did. Significantly, Paul's accusations regarding Walker were adjudicated in court because Walker filed lawsuits against several media outlets who made the same type of statements in their reports.

The following Wikipedia summary about those libel lawsuits reveals Paul's misrepresentations. I underline key portions:

"A Texas trial court in 1964 found the statements false and defamatory. By that time, Walker and his lawyers had already won over $3 million in lawsuits. The Associated Press appealed the decision, as Associated Press v. Walker, all the way to the United States Supreme Court. In 1967, the Supreme Court ruled against Walker, finding that, although the statements may have been false, the Associated Press was not guilty of reckless disregard in their reporting about Walker. The Court, which had previously said that public officials could not recover damages unless they could prove malice, extended this to public figures as well."
Needless to say, "making extreme right speeches coast to coast" was not actionable information for the Secret Service. Nor was "anti-communism". Nor was calling for the impeachment of Earl Warren. Nor was "being close to" any JBS group.
If Walker had ever made a personal physical threat against the life of JFK --OR-- if Walker ever did or said something which seemed to solicit or facilitate such hostile acts against the life of the President (or any other government official) THEN the FBI would have routinely notified the Secret Service about those matters.

As Paul knows, there was a major dispute about the precise nature of what Walker said and did. Significantly, Paul's accusations regarding Walker were adjudicated in court because Walker filed lawsuits against several media outlets who made the same type of statements in their reports.

The following Wikipedia summary about those libel lawsuits reveals Paul's misrepresentations. I underline key portions:

"A Texas trial court in 1964 found the statements false and defamatory. By that time, Walker and his lawyers had already won over $3 million in lawsuits. The Associated Press appealed the decision, as Associated Press v. Walker, all the way to the United States Supreme Court. In 1967, the Supreme Court ruled against Walker, finding that, although the statements may have been false, the Associated Press was not guilty of reckless disregard in their reporting about Walker. The Court, which had previously said that public officials could not recover damages unless they could prove malice, extended this to public figures as well."
Needless to say, "making extreme right speeches coast to coast" was not actionable information for the Secret Service. Nor was "anti-communism". Nor was calling for the impeachment of Earl Warren. Nor was "being close to" any JBS group.
If Walker had ever made a personal physical threat against the life of JFK --OR-- if Walker ever did or said something which seemed to solicit or facilitate such hostile acts against the life of the President (or any other government official) THEN the FBI would have routinely notified the Secret Service about those matters.

Perhaps Ernie doesn't know that in 2012 I personally interviewed an eye-witness to the Ole Miss riots of 1962, namely, Duncan Gray. Gray was a young Episcopal Reverend in 1962, and later became a Bishop in Oxford, Mississippi.

It is my opinion that an Episcopalian Bishop has no reason to lie to me. (Bishop Gray died this year, on July 15, 2016.)

It was the eye-witness account of Reverend Duncan Gray that Ex-General Edwin Walker was the active leader of the violence at Ole Miss on the night of September 30, 1962. Reverend Gray himself was one victim of that violence, after he personally confronted Edwin Walker on the Ole Miss campus during the riots. (People who know Mississippi history know that Duncan Gray has shared his story with many reporters over the decades.)

The AP (Associated Press) reports claiming that Walker was the leader of the Ole Miss violence were true -- but Walker told an all-white Grand Jury in Mississippi that he was at Ole Miss to keep the peace. These racial riots were terrifying to the average white citizen of Oxford Mississippi, and they formally acquitted Walker of all charges.

Having been acquitted, his attorneys, Robert Morris and Clyde Watts, advised Edwin Walker to sue AP and all newspapers that carried their story.

It is true that Walker won $3 million in lawsuits -- but that was only winning 10% of his cases. If he had won all of his cases, he and his lawyers would have won $30 million (which would be equal to $300 million in today's dollars).

There was excitement among the Radical Right Wing in 1963, regarding the newfound wealth of Ex-General Walker. People like Gerry Patrick Hemming and Loran Hall came around to Walker's home in Dallas in 1963, to offer their mercenary services.

The irony is that AP appealed their story all the way to the Supreme Court, and the case was heard by none other than Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren! In 1967 Earl Warren decided in favor of the AP, and Ex-General Edwin Walker was sent away empty-handed!

That was when Ex-General Edwin Walker began to plead to have his US Army pension restored.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

For those of you who are interested, I have revised and updated the "Finding Aid" to my FBI Files Collection. However, the pdf file size exceeds the space limitations for uploading files here -- so if you want a copy (it is currently 83 pages), just email me at:

ernie1241@aol.com

The Finding Aid sections are as follows:

FINDING AID – FBI AND OTHER FILES (Ernie Lazar Collection)

August 2016

This new finding aid is composed of seven sections:

I. Annotated Alpha List of Subjects

II. List of FBI Files Transferred to the National Archives

III. List of FBI Files Which Have Been Destroyed

IV. FBI Abbreviations, Acronyms, Terminology, Codes

V. FBI Standard Forms

VI. FBI Office Codes and Codes Used For Transmitting Coded Messages To Other Agencies

VII. FOIA Requests – Some Tips

Perhaps Ernie doesn't know that in 2012 I personally interviewed an eye-witness to the Ole Miss riots of 1962, namely, Duncan Gray. Gray was a young Episcopal Reverend in 1962, and later became a Bishop in Oxford, Mississippi.

It is my opinion that an Episcopalian Bishop has no reason to lie to me. (Bishop Gray died this year, on July 15, 2016.)

It was the eye-witness account of Reverend Duncan Gray that Ex-General Edwin Walker was the active leader of the violence at Ole Miss on the night of September 30, 1962. Reverend Gray himself was one victim of that violence, after he personally confronted Edwin Walker on the Ole Miss campus during the riots. (People who know Mississippi history know that Duncan Gray has shared his story with many reporters over the decades.)

The AP (Associated Press) reports claiming that Walker was the leader of the Ole Miss violence were true -- but Walker told an all-white Grand Jury in Mississippi that he was at Ole Miss to keep the peace. These racial riots were terrifying to the average white citizen of Oxford Mississippi, and they formally acquitted Walker of all charges.

Having been acquitted, his attorneys, Robert Morris and Clyde Watts, advised Edwin Walker to sue AP and all newspapers that carried their story.

It is true that Walker won $3 million in lawsuits -- but that was only winning 10% of his cases. If he had won all of his cases, he and his lawyers would have won $30 million (which would be equal to $300 million in today's dollars).

There was excitement among the Radical Right Wing in 1963, regarding the newfound wealth of Ex-General Walker. People like Gerry Patrick Hemming and Loran Hall came around to Walker's home in Dallas in 1963, to offer their mercenary services.

The irony is that AP appealed their story all the way to the Supreme Court, and the case was heard by none other than Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren! In 1967 Earl Warren decided in favor of the AP, and Ex-General Edwin Walker was sent away empty-handed!

That was when Ex-General Edwin Walker began to plead to have his US Army pension restored.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Paul:

As previously noted, "eyewitness" testimony is very problematic and often is contradicted and falsified.

You should have learned that lesson from your reliance upon Harry Dean.

This usually has nothing to do with "lying" (always your first preferred explanation). Paul, if you want your messages to be taken seriously by anybody -- then you need to do some rudimentary research into the accumulated literature regarding eyewitnesses---especially those who are contacted MONTHS or YEARS after the original events transpired.

For example: it is well known that eyewitnesses often "remember" details NOT by actually recalling data from their own brain -- but, instead, because as time passes, they see or hear or read comments made by other people (including news reports!) -- and, as a result, the "witness" just appends those other "witness recollections" to his/her own.

In addition, psychologists and law enforcement experts have pointed out for decades, that accurate memory quickly fades. Diminished memory occurs very rapidly after the event -- especially in those situations which involve high stress or violence or multiple actors.

EVEN YOU should recognize this because of what happened recently with respect to the Dallas police officer murders. There were immediate contradictory statements from "eyewitnesses" who claimed (among other things) that there was MORE than ONE shooter!

Edited by Ernie Lazar

Ernie, evidently you're unaware of the further evidence in the case of Ex-General Edwin Walker at Ole Miss in 1962.

One of the advantages of access to the personal papers of Edwin Walker at the University of Texas at Austin is the presence of those Grand Jury transcripts of Walker's case. This is rare -- they are found nowhere else -- because when a person is acquitted, the standard procedure is to destroy the Grand Jury transcripts.

However, Edwin Walker requested his own copies of these transcripts for his own personal possession, and this was granted, so now we have these Grand Jury transcripts in his personal papers in Texas.

It's quite amazing to read them -- Edwin Walker split hairs, but he couldn't conceal his joy at watching the "protesters" steal a bulldozer and then a fire truck to harass the Federal Agents. He was all but laughing about it. Walker didn't even deny that he gave advice to the "protesters" regarding how to handle tear gas.

Hundreds were wounded and two were killed in that melee. It was no laughing matter.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Ernie, evidently you're unaware of the further evidence in the case of Ex-General Edwin Walker at Ole Miss in 1962.

One of the advantages of access to the personal papers of Edwin Walker at the University of Texas at Austin is the presence of those Grand Jury transcripts of Walker's case. This is rare -- they are found nowhere else -- because when a person is acquitted, the standard procedure is to destroy the Grand Jury transcripts.

However, Edwin Walker requested his own copies of these transcripts for his own personal possession, and this was granted, so now we have these Grand Jury transcripts in his personal papers in Texas.

It's quite amazing to read them -- Edwin Walker split hairs, but he couldn't conceal his joy at watching the "protesters" steal a bulldozer and then a fire truck to harass the Federal Agents. He was all but laughing about it. Walker didn't even deny that he gave advice to the "protesters" regarding how to handle tear gas.

Hundreds were wounded and two were killed in that melee. It was no laughing matter.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

The fundamental points remain the same:

(1) when adjudicated within our legal institutions, the charges made regarding Walker's behavior were found to be false and libelous, and

(2) the FBI investigation into the Ole Miss incident produced conflicting statements from "eyewitnesses"

The fundamental points remain the same:

(1) when adjudicated within our legal institutions, the charges made regarding Walker's behavior were found to be false and libelous, and

(2) the FBI investigation into the Ole Miss incident produced conflicting statements from "eyewitnesses"

What is ironic about your response, Ernie, is that you're the one who stridently argues that Ex-General Edwin Walker was a racist.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo