The Education Forum

Lacombe Training Camp location part duex

As much as I would love it to be I can't swear to it.....the name Hernandez is too common and shows up in a bunch of suspicious places....I think Victor was too young to have been the fellow McKeown describes having known in Cuba. But its certainly a possibility. Victor's whereabouts in the Fall of 63 are very unclear and the HSCA did a terrible job of pursuing that. If you check out Appendix I in SWHT you will find that I certainly speculate that Victor was either involved with the conspiracy or that he was close enough to those involved to have heard about it. He is also an ideal candidate for having carried word about Oswald back from New Orleans to Miami at the end of the summer and of being one of the "mysterious" out of town exiles in touch with Oswald in New Orleans.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would love it to be I can't swear to it.....the name Hernandez is too common and shows up in a bunch of suspicious places....I think Victor was too young to have been the fellow McKeown describes having known in Cuba. But its certainly a possibility. Victor's whereabouts in the Fall of 63 are very unclear and the HSCA did a terrible job of pursuing that. If you check out Appendix I in SWHT you will find that I certainly speculate that Victor was either involved with the conspiracy or that he was close enough to those involved to have heard about it. He is also an ideal candidate for having carried word about Oswald back from New Orleans to Miami at the end of the summer and of being one of the "mysterious" out of town exiles in touch with Oswald in New Orleans.

Thanks Larry.

Are there any other good candidates for the "Hernandez" whom McKeown knew in Cuba?

--Tommy :sun

On page 52 I discuss a Hernandez mentioned as an assassination suspect by Escalante, supposedly he had been a Castro supporter, had left Cuba via Mexico and then on into the U.S. He was very violent, had carried out actions against the Cubans in MC and was a friend of another generically named Cuba, a Garcia...which of course makes one think of Hermonio Diaz Garcia purportedly named by Tony Cuesta as having been involved in the Dallas attack.

Problem is that this is all interwoven and although its possible to use those names to connect dots which would be consistent...there is no way I've found to take it onto any firmer ground.

I do have photos that illustrate Sturgis, Ferrie and Ferrie's people involved in the camp that was being planned and may have operated for a time in late 1962. Ferrie was clearly involved in that, Bannister might well have been. The effort was even described in newspapers, however it seemed to fall apart after the missile crisis and with the Kennedy administration crackdown on exiles. Not sure how that relates to Newbrough but thought I should mention it. Personally having lots of problems with Davie Ferrie flying a B-25 over the Bay of Pigs landing...

Larry,

I agree. Sounds like a story Ferrie might have made up and told people. The story about visiting a camp with Banister is not hearsay though that's a personal account. I'm trying to make sense of all the "camp" reports and find locations. Any photographic material on that might be helpful.

-Chris

Bombs.

Originally packed in boxes on the porch and unpacked and stood up by FBI. The only reason to do this, that I can imagine, is for dramatic effect. These are 24 blue practice bombs meant to be filled with sand. Three soldiers and Army intelligence Officer from Ft. Polk removed everything for storage.

Edited by Chris Newton

Thanks for that Dave.

One of the objectives that I have is to try to sort out what/which relationships we have with both the weapon/explosives cache(s) and the different groups/camps.

For instance, John Koch (DRE/JMWAVE) has already been infiltrated to Cuba on sabotage missions. He was already trained back in late 1961, why involve him in more "training" in 1963? What would Koch have to do with a bombing mission? Quiroga is affiliated with the Christian Democrat Party -did he start a camp with Richard Davis? I don't know.

There's too much going on for this to be about one operation.

leaning toward this: the explosives cache was a setup which created a situation that required the Christian Democratic camp to shut down and protected the JMWAVE/DRE camp from further scrutiny

Edited by Chris Newton

Thanks for that Dave.

One of the objectives that I have is to try to sort out what/which relationships we have with both the weapon/explosives cache(s) and the different groups/camps.

For instance, John Koch (DRE/JMWAVE) has already been infiltrated to Cuba on sabotage missions. He was already trained back in late 1961, why involve him in more "training" in 1963? What would Koch have to do with a bombing mission? Quiroga is affiliated with the Christian Democrat Party -did he start a camp with Richard Davis? I don't know.

There's too much going on for this to be about one operation.

leaning toward this: the explosives cache was a setup which created a situation that required the Christian Democratic camp to shut down and protected the JMWAVE/DRE camp from further scrutiny

Chris,

I'm game.

How could the explosive cache at McLaney's cottage protect the JMWAVE / DRE camp from further scrutiny?

--Tommy :sun

Tommie -

The articles of incorporation for Guatemalan Lumber and Minerals Corp. were filed on 7/18/63. This would have been the earliest that the CDP camp tied with Quiroga/Paneque/Davis/Fernandez was financed.

7/30/63 N.O. FBI learns of explosives from Pedroso.

7/31/63 Davis gets a call that something is going down. He shuts down CDP camp sends cadre of 15-20 cubans home to Miami - purportedly just tossing them on a Greyhound, weapons and all. (Big 7 Camp)

7/31/63 Paneque/Valdes/Fernandez leave MDC Camp for Miami. Fernandez will be beaten, tortured and turned into FBI as a Cuban spy on 8/3/63.

8/1/63 FBI raids Mclaney explosives cache - this cache starts getting called a "camp" but it's not - it's a house on an ordinary street in a residential neighborhood.

So at this point it looks like we:

Shut down all the cuban training camps.

Saved the neighbors from being blown up.

Prevented a bombing raid on another country.

Caught a spy.

Nothing else to see here, move along.

Edited by Chris Newton

Hey Gayle!

I don't know enough about the political agendas of all the people involved with these training camps yet. It seems like a there were like ten hands in the "cookie jar", if that's possible.

Mike McLaney certainly had connections everywhere from the Kennedy brothers and the Mob to John Birchers and Minutemen. It was his brother, William McLaney, whose cottage was raided for the explosives cache. I don't think that implicates Mike McLaney of anything on it's own.

Good luck with your search! - Chris

Thanks so much Chris!

It is so very interesting isn't it? I would agree about Mike McLaney. I don't think he was part of anything sinister other than greed :) Thank you too Tommie, Larry and David! You guys are great!

Gayle

Edited by Gayle Nix Jackson