The Education Forum

David Talbot: Allen Dulles, CIA and Rise of America's Secret Government

I started reading it last night.

He begins the book with a really well chosen, nicely sketched description of a meeting that takes place between Dulles in Switzerland during the war and a German Baron representing Himmler, who is trying to get a deal for a truce. This is after FDR had announced a policy of unconditional surrender. Dulles was willing to try and get a deal through which would preserve many of the Nazi leaders and power structure, without HItler. This is because he and his brother had made so much money off of German interested from about the 20's all the way through the late thirties, and actually beyond, especially through IG Farben.

Talbot actually calls Dulles a double agent in Bern.

This is a very apropos way to start, because you have Dulles conducting his own foreign policy, which differs radically from the president's as he is dealing with people who are that president's enemies behind his back. The underlying irony is that his president is a democratically elected leader of the people, while his enemies--HImmler in this case--are not elected at all and are actually fascists.

This is a nice teaser for what will happen in 1963.

Very nice and auspicious beginning.

I will not give out anything more in fairness to the author until I print my review at CTKA. Lisa Pease will be reviewing for Consortium.

Looking to read this book very soon. I appreciate this teaser and look forward to the complete (as always) review.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dave.

It looks very well done.

Plus, Talbot is a skillful writer, of which there are not that many in the field--I mean Harry Livingstone?

Talbot can sketch in interesting scenes, so you feel like you are watching a play. Reminds me a bit of the style of Bill Turner, or HInckle in that regard.

http://www.bklynlibrary.org/calendar/deciders-david-talbot-cia-central-library-dweck-cen-101315

David Talbot is speaking at the Brooklyn Public Library next Tuesday.

David Talbot wrote on Facebook:

Hey Brooklyn, just in time for Halloween -- I'm coming your way. Join me and the brilliant Joel Whitney (founding editor of Guernica -- a web publication you must read -- and author of an upcoming book on the CIA's culture war) for a discussion about "Spooking America: Secrecy vs. democracy." Tues. Oct.13 at 7:30 pm at the Brooklyn Public Library. Afterwards, we'll all repair to a nearby bar (followed by our agency minders) and play a drinking game while we watch Bernie duke it out with Hillary at the first debate. But that doesn't start until 9 pm ET. Plenty of time to get spooked before that.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Great place to start, in Brooklyn.

Hope its the first of many.

You Think the NSA Is Bad? Meet Former CIA Director Allen Dulles.
In a new book, David Talbot makes the case that the CIA head under Eisenhower and Kennedy may have been a psychopath.
By Aaron Wiener on Sat. October 10, 2015 6:00 AM PDT
Motherjones Magazine

http://m.motherjones.com/media/2015/10/book-review-devils-chessboard-david-talbot

David Talbot's comment on Facebook Oct. 9, 2015:

Unfortunately book tours aren't what they used to be. After speaking in Brooklyn, I'll be appearing at Politics & Prose bookstore in Washington DC on the evening of Thurs. Oct. 15 and then it's back home to San Francisco, where I'll be on permanent display for weeks. (Will post my Bay Area dates soon.) Then it's on to Dallas to give the keynote speech at the JFK Lancer conference on Friday Nov.20. And that's all she wrote...until further notice. If there's a university or organization in your area that wants to explore my book's "deep history" and stir up a lively discussion, let me know!

New York Magazine's trendy Vulture section has decreed that David Talbot's book is one of eight must reads this month.

Boris Kachka, who created the "list" had this to say (which makes me think he didn't really read them but I guess it's hard to read eight new books a month and have time to comprehend them as well):

The Salon founder's best-known book, Brothers, found no convincing evidence of a Kennedy assassination conspiracy, and neither does this one, even though it centers on the powerful CIA director whom JFK fired and LBJ later appointed to the Warren Commission.

He either did not read Brothers or is out and out lying.

That is how incredibly awful even the so called "trendy" part of the MSM is on this issue.

I mean Talbot got a lot of MSM exposure in Brothers, I mean he even debated Bugliosi about the assassination on TV and in Time.

But that was before that insane barrage of WC tripe hit the box for the 50th.

That had to take the cake for a collective explosion of societal neurosis.

Another post by Talbot:

My book on the epic battle between democracy and the national security state will be published tomorrow. Final tease from "The Devil's Chessboard":
After JFK forced Allen Dulles out of his administration, the former CIA director simply went home to his Georgetown manor and continued to operate as if he were still running the CIA, meeting with his top aides and field agents, including several who later fell under suspicion by the House Select Committee on Assassinations and other investigators. In "retirement," Dulles ran a kind of anti-Kennedy government in exile out of his house, trying to covertly subvert administration policy. And where was Dulles the weekend of Kennedy's assassination -- two years after being run out of the CIA? He spent the weekend at "The Farm" -- a top-secret CIA facility in northern Virginia, which he used as a command post. He would soon begin pressuring Lyndon Johnson to put him on the Warren Commission -- a panel he so thoroughly dominated that some observers thought it should have been called the Dulles Commission.

Another post by Talbot:

My book on the epic battle between democracy and the national security state will be published tomorrow. Final tease from "The Devil's Chessboard":

After JFK forced Allen Dulles out of his administration, the former CIA director simply went home to his Georgetown manor and continued to operate as if he were still running the CIA, meeting with his top aides and field agents, including several who later fell under suspicion by the House Select Committee on Assassinations and other investigators. In "retirement," Dulles ran a kind of anti-Kennedy government in exile out of his house, trying to covertly subvert administration policy. And where was Dulles the weekend of Kennedy's assassination -- two years after being run out of the CIA? He spent the weekend at "The Farm" -- a top-secret CIA facility in northern Virginia, which he used as a command post. He would soon begin pressuring Lyndon Johnson to put him on the Warren Commission -- a panel he so thoroughly dominated that some observers thought it should have been called the Dulles Commission.

It would be great to know exactly when Dulles arrived at "The Farm".

Does "spent the weekend" include Friday night?

A Dulles command post set up after the assassination -- was it hastily arranged in response to the capture of the patsy, suddenly needing to manage the patsy chain once Oswald was in custody?

Did the CIA figure out that they'd been set-up as an institution and a whole bunch of agency guys would go down if Oswald went sideways and named names and drew pictures?

And what does Talbot say about why Dulles went to Puerto Rico BOP D-Day Minus-One?

Edited by Cliff Varnell

A Dulles command post set up after the assassination -- was it hastily arranged in response to the capture of the patsy, suddenly needing to manage the patsy chain once Oswald was in custody?

Did the CIA figure out that they'd been set-up as an institution and a whole bunch of agency guys would go down if Oswald went sideways and named names and drew pictures?

And what does Talbot say about why Dulles went to Puerto Rico BOP D-Day Minus-One?

Check out this resource, Cliff: https://webspace.princeton.edu/xythoswfs/webview/fileManager.action?stk=&entryName=%2Fusers%2Fmudd%2FdigitalObjects%2FMC019.09%2FML.2007.004%2Fonline%2FCorrespondence_Appointment_Call_Diaries_1945-1968&msgStatus=

I've referred to it on here before, but couldn't find it again until now. It used to be in a bit more of an intuitive format, but it's still pretty straight-forward. It's Dulles' appointment book, both in person and by telephone, for almost every day. The database is probably worth a thread of its own and has a lot of interesting information, like who Dulles was in correspondence with before and after the assassination (he was speaking with Tracy Barnes a few days before Dallas). Some of the correspondence is redacted, which is curious.

Anyway, Dulles was in Boston the day before and morning of the assassination, but was back in the D.C. area when it went down. His schedule from Saturday the 23rd to Tuesday morning isn't available--go figure.

David Talbot interviewed on Democracy Now today.

http://www.democracynow.org/2015/10/13/the_rise_of_americas_secret_government

David Talbot's comment on Facebook today:

Thanks to Amy Goodman for having me as a guest today on her indispensable show "Democracy Now!" The vital importance of alternative media was brought home for me once again this week as I begin my book tour. I've been bumped off one network TV news program at the last minute (when my publicist asked the producer why, he was simply told "politics.") And I was told that a major East Coast newspaper that reviewed my earlier books will not touch this one. Let the media gatekeepers and CIA media spinners know they don't control our democracy. Please spread the world about "The Devil's Chessboard" -- the book they don't want you to read.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Check out this resource, Cliff: https://webspace.princeton.edu/xythoswfs/webview/fileManager.action?stk=&entryName=%2Fusers%2Fmudd%2FdigitalObjects%2FMC019.09%2FML.2007.004%2Fonline%2FCorrespondence_Appointment_Call_Diaries_1945-1968&msgStatus=

I've referred to it on here before, but couldn't find it again until now. It used to be in a bit more of an intuitive format, but it's still pretty straight-forward. It's Dulles' appointment book, both in person and by telephone, for almost every day. The database is probably worth a thread of its own and has a lot of interesting information, like who Dulles was in correspondence with before and after the assassination (he was speaking with Tracy Barnes a few days before Dallas). Some of the correspondence is redacted, which is curious.

Anyway, Dulles was in Boston the day before and morning of the assassination, but was back in the D.C. area when it went down. His schedule from Saturday the 23rd to Tuesday morning isn't available--go figure.

Lots of gaps.

The entry for 11/22/63 refers to John Warner, with whom Allen Dulles returned to DC after hearing of JFK's death.

http://www.foia.cia.gov/sites/default/files/DOC_0000872669.pdf

What to make of the hand-written note on JFK?

Edited by Cliff Varnell