The Education Forum

Earliest copies of Zapruder film?

7 hours ago, John Butler said:

Capture-david-josephs-scene.jpg

In that particular film in question the road signs at the intersection of Houston and Elm are missing.  Any notion why?

Do you mean this sign, John? If not, which other signs are missing?

elm-houston.png

Edited by Ray Mitcham

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray,

It is in the original film clip at the beginning of this series.  This comparison:

reenactment-film-frame-maybe-z-002.jpg

The street signs at the intersection of Elm and Houston are missing in the right hand frame.  In the Zapruder frame they are prominent.  I was asking David if he had any idea why that would be.  Does this film frame come from some time after the 1963 date of Zapruder?

I'll get back to you after I look at a film clip in Stephen Lavin's new comment.

….

Stephen Lavin said:

"it is clear that the film clip at the beginning of this thread comes from Stones JFK  - which is a compilation of footage both real and re enacted - see from 0.36 "

and the scene is the same:

Capture-oliver-stone-scene-elm-and-houst

That seems to take care of that.

Edited by John Butler

11 minutes ago, John Butler said:

Ray,

It is in the original film clip at the beginning of this series.  This comparison:

reenactment-film-frame-maybe-z-002.jpg

The street signs at the intersection of Elm and Houston are missing in the right hand frame.  In the Zapruder frame they are prominent.  I was asking David if he had any idea why that would be.  Does this film frame come from some time after the 1963 date of Zapruder?

I'll get back to you after I look at a film clip in Stephen Lavin's new comment.

John

looking carefully at the footage '5' and in similar views to the left hand clip one can see what is presumably a large white production truck parked outside the Daltex building

I think it may have been airbrushed out of this clip which would explain the missing signs and buildings next to the Daltex

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFK_(film)

'Stone wanted to recreate the Kennedy assassination in Dealey Plaza. His producers had to pay the Dallas City Council a substantial amount of money to hire police to reroute traffic and close streets for three weeks.[30] He only had ten days to shoot all of the footage he needed and so he used seven cameras (two 35 mm and five 16 mm) and 14 film stocks.[29] Getting permission to shoot in the Texas School Book Depository was more difficult. They had to pay $50,000 to put someone in the window from which Oswald was supposed to have shot Kennedy.[30] They were allowed to film in that location only between certain hours with only five people on the floor at one time: the camera crew, an actor and Stone. Co-producer Clayton Townsend has said that the hardest part was getting the permission to restore the building to the way it looked back in 1963. It took five months of negotiation.[30]

The production spent $4 million to restore Dealey Plaza to 1963 conditions.[31] Stone utilized a variety of film stocks. Richardson said, "It depends whether you want to shoot in 35 or 16 or Super 8. In many cases the lighting has to be different."[32] For certain shots in the film, Stone employed multiple camera crews shooting at once, using five cameras at the same time in different formats. Richardson said of Stone's style of direction, "Oliver disdains convention, he tries to force you into things that are not classic. There's this constant need to stretch."[29] This forced the cinematographer to use lighting in diverse positions and rely very little on classic lighting modes. The shoot lasted 79 days with filming finished five months before the release date.[33]'

despite this preparation and attention to detail it should be noted that the JFK film scenes in Dealy Plaza where filmed in warmer temperatures and most of the crowd on Elm are wearing spring/summer apparel - which is presumably why the wide shot clip is so short and acts as the missing part of the z film only - the other clips are more focussed on key figures in conspiracy lore - blackdog man, badge man, umbrella man, babooska lady etc