The Education Forum

Ruth Paine in Nicaragua

For those who wish to read the facts about Ruth in Nicaragua as assembled by attorney Carol Hewett, among others, here it is in its original form.

http://www.ctka.net/2015/FromTheArchive.html

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James - I read the article with interest. It seems very balanced and not overstated. Imagine my surprise when the Probe article mentions my trading cards in their references. Thank you very much.

I have never found Ruth's part in LHO securing a job at the TSBD suspicious for the simple reason that the motorcade route was unknown at the time. I also feel certain that LHO was not part of a right wing conspiracy to assassinate the president. The presence of incriminating evidence against LHO in Ruth's house likewise doesn't prove that Ruth was part of a conspiracy before the assassination, though it might suggest she was willing to play a part afterwards.

Thanks, James!

Michael's history worth reviewing as well:

In a FBI Internal Security memo dated 12/13/63 authored by SA James Hosty it is noted that:

"IC Leonard Lewis reviewed the records on file at the Military Personnel Records Center, St. Louis, Missouri, on Michael Ralph Paine... His record contained the statement dated July 15, 1952 which reflected, "The following inductee, Paine, Michael R., was inducted today, 15 July, 1952 but refused to take the oath of allegiance."

A refresher for those that may be less astonished than I am:

"I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
Edited by Chris Newton

Thanks, James!

Michael's history worth reviewing as well:

In a FBI Internal Security memo dated 12/13/63 authored by SA James Hosty it is noted that:

"IC Leonard Lewis reviewed the records on file at the Military Personnel Records Center, St. Louis, Missouri, on Michael Ralph Paine... His record contained the statement dated July 15, 1952 which reflected, "The following inductee, Paine, Michael R., was inducted today, 15 July, 1952 but refused to take the oath of allegiance."

A refresher for those that may be less astonished than I am:

"I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Interesting.

How could he be inducted then?

--Tommy :sun

Tommy,

I think they are informed that they still have an obligation. The action, itself, does not bode well for future success, staying with ones record for their entire military career. It probably guaranteed a trip to Korea.

Army Regulations 615-500, paragraph 13, relating to induction after acceptance and induction ceremony, were offered in evidence without objection as the regulations governing induction into the navy at the time petitioner reported for induction. The pertinent sections are Sec. e(1), describing the ceremony to be performed, and Sec. e(4), which provides: 'They will then be informed that they are now members of the Army of the United States and given an explanation of their obligations and privileges. In the event of refusal to take the oath (or affirmation) of allegiance by a * * * citizen he will not be required to receive it, but will be informed that this action does not alter in any respect his obligation to the United States.'

Sorry to have taken this thread off course so early...

James -

I remember reading about a lady that Ruth had hired for Russian language lessons, she ended up correcting grammar errors for a lot of Ruth's Russian correspondence. After the FBI interviewed the lady they tried to find these letters and could find none of them. I'm having no success finding the reference or FBI doc. Have you heard of this?

That's a new one for me.

No, I had not heard of that one.

James - I read the article with interest. It seems very balanced and not overstated. Imagine my surprise when the Probe article mentions my trading cards in their references. Thank you very much.

I have never found Ruth's part in LHO securing a job at the TSBD suspicious for the simple reason that the motorcade route was unknown at the time. I also feel certain that LHO was not part of a right wing conspiracy to assassinate the president. The presence of incriminating evidence against LHO in Ruth's house likewise doesn't prove that Ruth was part of a conspiracy before the assassination, though it might suggest she was willing to play a part afterwards.

we have ways of making you "willing"!

Chris:

I never saw that letter from Slawson before. Its interesting as hell.

Especially the part about the letters being missing at that time. When in fact, Ruth kept everything.

BTW, if you can believe it, the Slawson papers have still not been fully declassified yet. Probably because of stuff like this.

For me, the killer paragraph in the article is this one:

“Wheaton goes on to recount Ruth and an associate of hers, Jon Roise, attending several meetings of the solidarity committee at Casa Banjamin Linder. Ruth took copious notes and another friend of hers, Sean Miller, made several tape recordings and took photographs . Ruth claimed that the photographs were being taken for the Nicaragua Network in Washington DC. Later, when a friend of Wheaton’s checked with the Nicaragua Network, they claimed they had not commissioned anyone to take pictures in Nicaragua. Thus, the explanation given by Ruth Paine was false. Months later Jon Roise volunteered to secure speakers for the regular meetings at Casa Benjamin Linder. The two speakers he brought were former Contras who complained of lack of support from the Americans, except for a Quaker group who “always came through for them”.

There is another interesting thing I'm trying to work out.

Some of the Dallas, Quaker gang, when they were interviewed about Marina, gave the the wrong birthplace for her in several FD-302's. That, in itself, is only curious because it was the same "wrong birthplace" in each instance and may be the same "wrong" birthplace mentioned in the very first State Dept. reports in Oswald's 201. Which might lead one to think that someone was briefed but they didn't get the latest memo.

No, not Mrs. Paine, Paul, go sit down.

Edited by Chris Newton

Nice going Chris.

Somebody believes in doing research here.

BTW, the reason this is potentially important, is because of what George Michael Evica wrote about in his book A Certain Arrogance.

He detailed the extensive use the Dulles brothers made of religious groups for espionage purposes. And one of the groups they utilized was the Quakers, but even more was the Unitarians.

Fast forward to 2015.

In City X, a big city in the U.S., there is a Muslim temple attended regularly by 200 believers in Islam. Many of the believers speak one or more dialects of Arabic.

Truth is, if I were the FBI Chief, I'd want to recruit some member of the temple to provide me with information. If I were DCI, I'd like to do the same.

Lee hangs around with some of the temple members and speaks a dialect of Arabic. Lee's wife, who is from Saudi Arabia, speaks the same dialect.

Ruth befriends Lee's wife, claiming she wants to learn to speak Arabic.

If I were the FBI chief, would I be interested in Lee, his wife, and Ruth? You betcha. If I were DCI, would I have the same interest? You betcha.

The President of the United States travels to City X and is assassinated there. Lee is charged with the murder. His wife and Ruth are the main witnesses against him in a post-mortem investigation.

Anything odd here?