The Education Forum

Saint John Hunt to be on coasttocoastam Saturday night, 12/5/2015

I listened to the three hour interview of St. John Hunt, which did not end until 4 am CST. He made a number of interesting comments. One was that his father believed Dorothy's death in the plane crash was murder and that his father construed the death as a signal to him that he had better keep his mouth shut about all that he knew concerning many unsavory things or else his life and the lives of his four children could end as had Dorothy's.

St. John disclosed that Charles Colson was quoted in Time magazine as declaring that the CIA had killed Dorothy. St. John said he briefly spoke to Colson on the telephone about this and Colson said he stood by his quote in Time but that he would elaborate no more because to do so would endanger his own life and St. John's also.

St. John observed that the CIA recruits agents who are psychopaths or borderline psychopaths because these agents will feel no remorse over the results of their actions, however horrendous these may be. St. John cited his father brusque comment that the 40,000 innocent civilians killed in the CIA's overthrow of the elected president of Guatemala in 1954 were merely "collateral damage." His father was not bothered by these deaths that came about in the course of his CIA assignment to eliminate the president of Guatemala. The latter had declared he would nationalize the vast properties of the United Fruit Company in the country and turn its land over to the workers who were kept as serfs by United Fruit.

The first hour of the four hour show was devoted to interviewing the author of a new novel based on the life of John Lennon. Later on in the program the interviewer disclosed to St. John that the doorman at the Manhattan West Side building where Lennon resided who had taken up his new and temporary post on the day that Lennon was killed was a Cuban-American member of the CIA assassination team, Operation 40. St. John expressed shock upon hearing this and one got the impression that he immediately thought Lennon had been marked for death because of he was a famous outspoken opponent of the Vietnam War.

Of course, St. John discussed more and hopefully I shall add to this posting as I recollect other key points that he made.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/he-shot-george-wallace-to-be-famous-now-he-lives-in-silence/2015/12/01/700b1d26-78d7-11e5-bc80-9091021aeb69_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_bremer-810am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Joseph McBride wrote on Facebook (12/6/2015): This article mentions Gore Vidal's theory (in an essay for the New York Review of Books) that E. Howard Hunt actually wrote Bremer's diary. Paul Schrader is interviewed here for the TAXI DRIVER connections. I remember Schrader noting that Bremer had the makings of a good film critic, because after seeing Otto Preminger's TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON, Bremer wrote in his diary that it was like "a pile of dog xxxx with a plastic flower stuck in it." Of course, the CIA front Washington Post never tells the whole story. Bernstein and Woodward write in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN that they investigated the Wallace shooting on the possibility that it might have been the ultimate Nixon dirty trick. Nixon and Colson tried to exploit the crime for political purposes, trying to make Bremer seem like a McGovern supporter. According to John Simkin on the Spartacus International website, "Nixon told [his aide Charles] Colson that he was concerned that Bremer “might have ties to the Republican Party or, even worse, the President’s re-election committee.' Nixon also asked Colson to find a way of blaming George McGovern for the shooting. . . . . Colson now phoned E. Howard Hunt and asked him to break-in to Bremer's apartment to discover if he had any documents that linked him to Nixon or George McGovern. According to Hunt's autobiography, UNDERCOVER, he disliked this idea but made preparations for the trip. He claimed that later that night Colson calls off the operation. . . . James Rowley, head of the Secret Service, ordered one of his Milwaukee agents to break into Bremer’s apartment. It has never been revealed why Rowley took this action. . . . In May, 1974, Martha Mitchell visited Wallace in Montgomery. She told him that her husband, John N. Mitchell, had confessed that Charles Colson had a meeting with Arthur Bremer four days before the assassination attempt."

Sorry,my bad, I initially posted this on the wrong thread.

Here's a recording between Colson and Hunt while Hunt was in prison. It's pretty obvious what Hunt wants and just as obvious all Colson wants is to cover his and White House's ass.

When Colson means to be discreet, he mutters as if someone may be listening.
Interesting at 7:20, Colson confidently belches out, "Well I always thought when I wrote my memoirs of this campaign, I'm going to say that Watergate was brilliantly conceived as an escapade that, uh,would divert the Democrats from the real issues and therefore would permit us to win a landslide we wouldn't have won otherwise. Those dumb bastards (Democrats) were on an issue that the public couldn't care less about." Ok they did win the landslide, but Colson could hardly be said to be prophetic in the long run. I assume that was a bit of bravado designed for Hunt to keep the faith. But Hunt agreed that there is a more important issue, but I don't think he agreed with Colson on what it was.
"If you were the mastermind of this, it never would have fallen apart". "You're a brilliant operator and brilliant operators just don't get involved in this kind of thing".
Colson keeps harping to Hunt about conversations he had with the Federal authorities, the FBI and the Grand Jury concerning Hunt, saying that if Hunt had run that operation (the break in), he never would have gotten caught. He, of course, claims not to know who ran the operation. Well how did he know Hunt didn't run the operation? Were both these quotes just a veiled way of telling Hunt, "Hey you screwed up, you have to take some responsibility, you can't just put it all on us?"

Kirk: This conversation between Hunt and Colson took place in November 1972, not after Hunt was in prison. Hunt had waited until the presidential election was over with Nixon being re-elected to approach directly the White House via his sponsor, Colson, for more "hush" money for the seven defendants who had been indicted in September 1972 and were facing trial in January 1973. After Dorothy was killed, Hunt pleaded guilty at the start of the criminal trial and the four Cuban-Americans loyally followed him by also pleading guilty.

Hunt did not enter prison until April 1975 -- almost three years later. The delay was because after the cover-up broke in March 1973 when McCord wrote his letter to Judge Sirica, Hunt was tied up for the intervening years by testifying before the Senate Watergate Committee, being interviewed by the Watergate Special Prosecutor and by having his deposition taken in civil matters. This delayed his entry into prison. He served three and a half years in prison.

In my opinion, after listening to the taped conversation, I believe that Hunt in his implicit threats to Colson unwittingly initiated the chain of events that led to the death of his wife, Dorothy. In his conversation with Colson he was sending the message to those in the White House that more "hush" money had better be forthcoming and for the entire period of incarceration or he else would tell all that he knew, which we now know includes the Kennedy assassination as well as the Watergate crimes. Dorothy was murdered by plane crash the next month -- December. St. John stated in his coasttocoastam interview Saturday night that his father immediately realized that Dorothy had been murdered and that he had better keep his mouth shut or else he and his four children would end up dead. So in the subsequent years he did talk but probably only told less than five cent of what he knew, taking the rest to his grave. If he had told everything he knew, the JFK assassination conspiracy, among other mind-boggling crimes, would have been blown wide open. We all know what that would have meant.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Thank you Douglas for putting this in chronological perspective. Hunts pleading tone and Colson's asking him if he's used this opportunity to do more writing lead me to assume he was in jail.

So in your judgment, and revealed in the Saint John Hunt interview, Hunts wife was killed to quash any idea in Hunt's mind of revealing anything.

Perhaps this was an opening plea, as Hunt seems to be trying to get along, and his tone comes off as sort of,"Gee fellas, do you think you could pony up a little money for your loyal friends?"

Kirk: No, this was not an opening plea. I had been approached over the July 4, 1972, holiday weekend by Anthony Ulasewicz who was acting upon instructions from White House Counsel John Dean to accept the "hush money" for the seven Watergate defendants and pass it along to them. I refused to do so. The attorney who succeeded me in representing Hunt accepted the money that I turned down and was later named an unindicted co-conspirator in the cover-up indictment. Dorothy Hunt, as recounted in St. John's radio interview, was forced by Howard to become the conduit for the "hush" money, which she picked up clandestinely as various locations such as a locker at the Greyhound bus station. Murdering her was a way for the CIA not only to send a death message to Howard but to eliminate Dorothy as a witness to what had transpired in the months prior.

Hunt's plea, which was more of a demand in November 1972, was for "hush" money payments to be guaranteed for as long as the seven defendants were incarcerated and probably for a time afterward since there was no way they were going to be found not guilty at the trial scheduled to take place two months after the conversation with Colson.

One of the ironies of the situation is that three months after Dorothy's death, McCord exposed the coverup, which included the "hush" money payments, in his letter to Judge Sirica. So Dorothy's death did not permanently end the issue of the money payments. In a sense her death saved her from the humiliation later of being identified as the conduit picking up and distributing the money, which would have led to her indictment along with Howard's indictment, and to incarceration.

I'm only asking for your conjecture on this Douglas,

So if murdering Dorothy Hunt was the way for the CIA to eliminate a witness and send a death message to Howard Hunt. It's obvious the CIA had no allegiance to him. So on his deathbed, why didn't he just come completely clean about CIA complicity in the Kennedy assassination rather then pass it off it on a few rogue CIA agents and put the blame on Johnson? Do you think he honestly believes that?