The Education Forum

Jim DiEugenio on The Devil's Chessboard

I agree that that is one of the better parts of Talbot's book, the association between Nixon and the Dulles brothers.

BTW, another thing that bothered me about the Barrett review is that he ignored the landmark book about Eisenhower, Blanch Wiesen Cook's Declassified Eisenhower.

If I had to make out a list of the then best books on the post World War 2 presidents, that would be on the list.

It shows that when Eisenhower was at Columbia he went to school at private classes of the CFR.

Now please tell me again how wrong C. Wright Mills was again?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be on BOR this week.

So before you get bombed, take a listen.

I will discuss, my review of the movie Trumbo at Bob Parry''s wonderful site Consortium News.

Second,the work of Carol Hewett, her fascinating review of the role of Ruth and Mike Pain, with the FBI, in the disappearance of Oswald's Minox camera.

FInally, my review of The Devil's Chessboard.

So before bringing in the New Year, tune it in.

Edited by James DiEugenio

• 2 weeks later...

As I note below, I had to read the book twice. And took 43 pages of notes.

No reviewer can read this just once and do justice to it.

The book has so much new material in it and so much that has been reworked from different angles.

The best book on Dulles there is.

http://www.ctka.net/2015/TalbotDulles.html

Totally agree Jim. Am about 150 pages into it. But my book has one serious issue, wondering if it's just a fluke in the printing, but there are no numbers on any of the pages to correspond with the many footnotes at the back. It's frustrating. But aside from that the book is beautifully written and difficult to put down. Dulles was clearly a sociopath. His treatment of his wife, kids, siblings is revolting. Even at age ten, watching his brother nearly drown as if he was watching birds flying. Chilling.

Dawn

Edited by Dawn Meredith

But my book has one serious issue, wondering if it's just a fluke in the printing, but there are no numbers on any of the pages to correspond with the many footnotes at the back. It's frustrating.

Dawn

The endnotes refer to the page numbers. It's a modern style that sometimes omits references to things that one is specifically interested in verifying or further researching.