The Education Forum

Ruby and Nixon

It is often repeated that Jacob Rubinstein, aka Jack Ruby, worked for Richard Nixon in 1947. Yet I recall reading somewhere recently that this is a case of two men with the same name. What is the truth?

There are conflicting reports. This is a good article to read on the subject: http://jfkfacts.org/assassination/fact-check/fact-check-did-richard-nixon-know-jack-ruby/

I had a conversation with Gary Mack about this, who claims they're two different people, as follows:

Gary: Jack Ruby was never on Nixon's payroll, Jack Rubenstein was and, as reported in one of the Chicago newspapers within a few days of Oswald's death, it was found that they were two different people. Jack Rubenstein was quite a bit older than the man who changed his name to Jack Ruby.

Me: Supposedly, and according to Roger Stone, Nixon confirmed that he hired Jack Ruby on Johnson's request, which always seemed odd. (I provided him the link about as well).

Gary: Thanks for the link, for I'd forgotten about it. The Museum has many, many original Chicago newspapers and I noticed the story back in the late 90s when a donor gave them to us. Unfortunately, I never made a note or copy of it. I'll need to go through all of the papers (50+ as I recall) to find it. What I do know for sure is that it wasn't the Chicago Tribune.

The important part is that the Chicago reporter interviewed either the HUAC Rubenstein or one or more of his associates. What made the theory somewhat confusing, and it appears to have confused Nixon, is that Ruby was called Rubenstein in many print and broadcast news reports for several days after he shot Oswald. Nixon may well have recognized the name Rubenstein, hence his "admission" to others having known him.

I happen to believe, based on the link below, that Ruby the Oswald shooter knew Nixon back in the 1940's. I also happen to believe that, like the "two Rubys" concept, that George H.W. Bush was the same one that is mentioned in the Hoover memo related to the assassination.

Of course they'll always try to say it was a different Bush (and Ruby) but think about it - in a country of 200 million people, what are the odds of this happening, not once but twice?

By the way, I don't agree with everything John Armstrong writes about, but I do about the Oswald-shooting Ruby and Nixon:

Michael - totally agree on the Hoover memo, a very important clue in my opinion.

This all gets me after a while. How is it that all these years later we are still not sure of any if this? Two Oswalds, two Rubys, two caskets.

There is no doubt that that was future CIA Director George Bush.

But I am not sure about this Rubinstein thing. Especially what Roger Stone does with it. Namely that Nixon hired him for the HUAC at LBJ's request?

I mean, LBJ was from Texas. Ruby was in Chicago at the time.

James - I agree it makes no sense that LBJ recommended Ruby to Nixon.

Jim - how do we know that the Jack Rubenstein referred to here is Jack Ruby?

Jim - for me the most interesting thing is Prescott Bush promoting the young Nixon. Of that there is no doubt.

Well, we really do not.

But if the document is genuine, and today that seems to be the case, then it would probably be that Jack Ruby from Chicago and not the other Rubinstein. The other Rubinstein I think was from New York.

• 5 years later...
On 3/20/2016 at 9:00 AM, Paul Brancato said:

This is passage from James Tague's book:

"Another of the dots that need to be connected is the Suite 8F Group, named after a room that these rich and powerful met at in the Lamar Hotel in Houston, Texas. Most meetings were to coordinate political activities. When talking about Suite 8F, Jack Ruby’s name pops up as handling and placing the big wagers for these men."

Johnson was a member of Suite 8F Group.

Edited by Calvin Ye