The Education Forum

Mr. Caddy - was E. Howard Hunt involved in the assassination of JFK?

I'm giving you another chance to say what you know about Hunt's involvement in the assassination of JFK and/or his physical presence in Dealey Plaza that day. I'm really asking what you know because of your relationship with Hunt, not what you may have read elsewhere.

Paul:

I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. For the first time in my life I have been hit with a debilitating allergy attack due to an intense tree pollen count in Houston. I turn 78 years old tomorrow and learn from my doctor that with getting old allergy attacks become common.

Howard Hunt never affirmed or denied to me that he was in Dallas on the day JFK was assassinated.

That said, Howard was preoccupied with the tragedy of the Bay of Pigs. We had countless conversations and invariably he would bring up the Bay of Pigs disaster, which he blamed on certain high CIA officials. However, I have seen a video interview of him in which he blames JFK as much as these CIA officials.

His close contacts in the Cuban-American community in Miami were with those who blamed JFK solely for the Bay of Pigs debacle. Some of these men were burglars he recruited for Watergate.

From what I have read and heard over the years and from the public comments and writings of St. John Hunt there appears to be strong circumstantial evidence that Howard was in Dallas just before and on the day of JFK's assassination.

Maybe it means nothing, but I was struck by the way Hunt, in an interview with Larry King on CNN, referred to "the offing of JFK." What a nice way to put it.

Douglass - no need to apologize. I was a bit impatient which I have been recently for a variety of reason. Mainly the thread had been diverted into a discussion of the tramps identities which was my fault. That's why I rephrased the question. Thanks for your generous and thought provoking answer. Did Hunt actually name which high up CIA officials he blamed for BOP?

Ron - wow - he really said 'offing'.

The first question King asked him (and I was struck by the fact that King treated Hunt like an old buddy) was if he was in Dallas that day, because "there are people who say you were." Hunt replied, "Only the nuts do, Larry."

In searching for a transcript of the interview (there isn't one), I became across a thread from 2008 in which I posted this (when my memory of the interview was a little fresher and I probably had more brain cells than I do now):

I'll never forget his interview of E. Howard Hunt. It was in the early 1990's, I believe. They started off the interview like old buddies, with King saying, "Good to see you again, Howard."

King said, "Let's start with Dallas, since there are people who say you were there." To which Hunt said, "Not any sane people, Larry."

When King asked Hunt who he thought did it, Hunt said, "Lee Harvey Oswald." Hunt also referred to the assassination as "the offing of JFK."

The JFK part of the interview was short, as they soon went on to more "interesting" things.

Douglass - no need to apologize. I was a bit impatient which I have been recently for a variety of reason. Mainly the thread had been diverted into a discussion of the tramps identities which was my fault. That's why I rephrased the question. Thanks for your generous and thought provoking answer. Did Hunt actually name which high up CIA officials he blamed for BOP?

Paul:

It is my recollection that Hunt blamed CIA Deputy Director Gen. Pearr Cabell, and Deputy Director for Plans Richard Bissell. Hunt never mentioned Allen Dulles, perhaps because he was close to Dulles and in fact thought the world of both Dulles brothers.

It has been many years since I have read Hunt’s book on the Bay of Pigs, “Give Us This Day.” He covers this in his book.

Larry Hancock has made a major contribution to understanding what occurred:

http://www.larry-hancock.com/Bay%20of%20Pigs%20Revisited.htm