The Education Forum

Two Dallas cops were involved in the pre-arranged murder of Tippit...

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom

I'm old school, and still retain/purchase print versions of JFK books that I value. They fill up my bookshelves, and I lend them out to folks who are interested in diving into the JFK story and learning about the assassination.  I am frequently asked (as the infamous person in the family "into the JFK thing") what are the best books to read.  Joe McBride's book is on my short list, and I share it with those who want a balanced and insightful view of the mysteries surrounding John Kennedy's murder.  What impresses me about McBride's work is (a) he is a journalist, experienced writer and academic, (b) he spent many years assembling facts and creating the book, and (c) he offers an honest and unbiased approach.  His work on the Tippit story is unique and revealing, and it puts the Dale Meyers "mythology" into proper perspective. McBride interviewed or investigated individuals never much explored before (e.g. Marie Tippit, Tippit's father, fellow policemen) and he raises some interesting questions . The book is fairly long (over 600 pages) and well-sourced ... reading it was more of a marathon than a sprint. The pictures (only a few pages worth) include personal campaign photographs from Milwaukee circa 1960 of JFK.  Its clear that Joe admired JFK as a leader, as many young people of our era did.  The pictures are not what draws me to the book; its his fresh look at some old facts, in a different light.  It paints a portrait of the DPD at the time, and the law enforcement community in Dallas in the 1960's ... the "climate" surrounding the events that unfolded.    

Gene

Maybe Joe McBride will comment on some of this stuff.  Would be very interesting to get his thoughts.  He comes by the forum once in a while.

From John A....

I recently looked over the items taken from LHO's wallet.

On 11/22/63 there is no photographic evidence or list of inventoried items from the wallet that shows with the SS Hidell card nor the 
USMC Certificate of Service card in the name of Hidell. And neither card is listed on the DPD typewritten inventory of LHO's possessions (225 items).

On 11/23/63 all of LHO's possessions were at FBI headquarters in Washington, DC and most items were coated with finger print ink, including
items from LHO's wallet (see photograph).

We know that Westbrook had the 2nd wallet, and we know that he told fellow officers that it contained ID for Oswald and Hidell. 

I think it is likely that Westbrook took these two cards from the 2nd wallet and placed them in DPD inventory the following day (AFTER LHO's possessions
had been sent to Washington, DC). It would be very interesting to see who "officially" placed these items in inventory and when.

On 11/26/63 LHO's possessions were returned to the Dallas Police and a joint inventory was made totaling 455 items. We now see
that all items from LHO's wallet were covered with fingerprint ink, but NOT the two cards with Hidell identification. Seems if these two cards had
been sent to FBI headquarters with other items from LHO's wallet they would have been coated with fingerprint ink.

What do you think? Capt Westbrook was the first person known to have possession of Hidell identification.  Was Westbrook responsible for placing them in the DPD inventory?

Edited by Jim Hargrove

Been speaking with John about the inventory from the DPD to FBI and back again...

250 items leave, 455 numbered items return...  WCD345 is the FBI "unofficial inventory" yet it matches the numbered inventories and the lettered inventories exactly...

The focus has been the wallet and the HIDELL ID...

There is only 1 wallet in evidence said to contain anything of importance...

This wallet is NOT listed in the 455 items but is listed as "B1" with all its contents NOT listed separately, but under B1.

There are "A, B, C, & D" lists of evidence...  the "D" list of evidence appears to be a variety of documents specifically related to Oswald and Marina...  the SS Notice truly seems out of place on this list...

Since it was not in the 1 wallet in custody, and there was no other wallet turned in... one has to wonder about the chain of custody for D71...

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10746#relPageId=37&tab=page 

367531412_SSScardinHIDELLnamenotpartofWalletcontentsWCD345D71isHidellSSSNcard.jpg.2e0c32b751be5e173a2cbe75ccb7ae14.jpg

What you will not find on the HIDELL items is the DPD inventory check from the night of 11/22 ...  Items that came back from FBI in DC on the 26th that were not at the DPD 11/22 will not have this notation

977336243_DPDnotationfrom11-22onitemstakenbyFBI-thisisnotonHIDELLevidence.jpg.e696af3d9f7ba5c1a0139b1474c4c1d9.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Maybe Joe McBride will comment on some of this stuff.  Would be very interesting to get his thoughts.  He comes by the forum once in a while.

From John A....

I recently looked over the items taken from LHO's wallet.

On 11/22/63 there is no photographic evidence or list of inventoried items from the wallet that shows with the SS Hidell card nor the 
USMC Certificate of Service card in the name of Hidell. And neither card is listed on the DPD typewritten inventory of LHO's possessions (225 items).

Jim,

I don't know how this factors in, but both Guy Rose of the DPD and Manning Clements of the FBI told the WC that they examined the wallet on Friday, and said they saw the Hidell ID in it.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/rose_g.htm

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/clements.htm

Rose told the WC he saw that ID before he went to Irving to search the place at 2:30 PM.

Like I said, I don't how that fits.

Steve Thomas

For "BO" to ask Oswald about "HIDELL" as having been on ID in his wallet (per FBI SA Manning Clements), the inventory listed in Clements' report must have been correct...

I hope to show here that it seems virtually impossible for both ID's to have been seen on the 23rd, just in time to match Klein's production of the Hidell Money Order....
another provably fabricated item of evidence....

===

Assuming that someone at DPD did see the HIDELL "SS Notice of Classification" along with all the other items in the wallet... 

We need to look back to the chain of possession:

1. In 1996 after Hosty's book, Croy claims to have given a wallet he found to Westbrook
  2. Westbrook shows a wallet with HIDELL ID at the Tippit scene  (from H&L)

But Capt. Westbrook had a very good reason for driving to 10th & Patton. It was there, at the murder scene, that Westbrook showed fellow police officers the wallet .....    Identification in this wallet would identify "Lee Harvey Oswald" as the prime suspect in the murder of officer Tippit. Identification for "Alek Hidell," also found in this wallet, would link Oswald/Hidell to the rifle found on the 6th floor of the Book Depository. There were now many police and dozens and dozens of on-lookers at 10th & Patton with whom Westbrook could mingle. 

A few minutes later, at 1:42 PM, crime lab officers George Doughty, W.E. Barnes, and Paul Bentley arrived and inspected the wallet produced by Westbrook. FBI Agent Bob Barrett arrived, parked his car, and walked toward Tippit's patrol car. Barrett explained, "I went on over there and Captain Westbrook was there with several of his officers.... It hadn't been very long when Westbrook looked up and saw me and called me over. He had this wallet in his hand. Now, I don't know where he found it, but he had the wallet in his hand... the wallet was there. There's no getting around that. Westbrook had the wallet in his hand and asked me if I knew who these people were. I'm adamant that there was a wallet in somebody's hand and Westbrook asked me if I knew who 'Lee Harvey Oswald' was and who 'Hidell' were." 

As Westbrook showed the wallet to Barrett and fellow DPD officers, WFAA-TV Channel 8 news photographer Ron Reiland filmed the wallet. Sgt. Bud Owens was holding the wallet while Capt. Doughty was looking at the wallet.

3. Oswald is arrested and is back at DPD by 2pm where Doughty, Barnes, & Bentley also ultimately wind up with Westbrook and Hill.

It should now be widely known that the man in custody has 2 ID's, one SSS card with Oswald AND NO PHOTO while the other SSS card is for Hidell WITH A PHOTO
    The real SSS cards do NOT have a photo
    133849029_DODcardandSSScardhavesameMinskphoto-DPDdidnotnoticeordidnotseeit-yetisonFBIlistofevidencefromtheWALLET-smaller.thumb.jpg.c1b32afd82c8465266c90e6354ee7e9a.jpg

4. Notes are taken at the interrogations which take place on the 22nd, all day the 23rd and the morning of the 24th
    Kelley, Hosty, Bookout, Clemments and someone called "B. O."

1796967318_BOCalvinBudOwensasksaboutHidellat11-23interrogation.jpg.481abc085d82d6832cbb411a944f55dc.jpg

5. As shown above, Clemments informs us that the interrogation included questions about the contents of his wallet... (there was a RED wallet from Irving, the wallet on Oswald when he was arrested and THIS wallet...)
    Clemments lists the contents of the wallet which matches the FBI's "B1" list except for the real SSS card which is listed twice... first on the initial page next to the fake one yet is not called a SSS card this time... and then 2 pages later when it is called out as a SS No. card....

It is important to note that the DPD would now be looking at 2 pieces of ID which conflict with each other... one with a photo and one without...
    yet also listed in the contents is his USMC Cert of Service #4,271,617 which also has a photo on it...

Yet if you look... they are the same photo.. and even worse... the photo is of Oswald from MINSK.

5802487_OswaldSept59andJan60-PassportDoDandSSSphotos-Minsk.thumb.jpg.4c64adec642b08105e15677c2e565f14.jpg

Are we to believe - that despite having these items in their possession - or at least awareness of their existence...  Oswald was not asked about the 2 identities until the afternoon of the 23rd? and then by someone Fritz calls "B.O."  Best we could figure out - since Bardum Odum is not listed on the FBI list of Interrogation attendees - is this must be Bud Owens given the interrogation was initially related to Tippit's murder...

I am guessing that Fritz used the initials BO since the HIDELL ID would be side by side with Oswald's real ID since there is one and only one wallet EVER mentioned containing identification:

Mr. HILL. That was the second question that was asked the suspect, and he didn't answer it, either. 
    About the time I got through with the radio transmission, I asked Paul Bentley, "Why don't you see if he has any identification." 
    Paul was sitting sort of sideways in the seat, and with his right hand he reached down and felt of the suspect's left hip pocket and said, "Yes, he has a billfold," and took it out. 
    I never did have the billfold in my possession, but the name Lee Oswald was called out by Bentley from the back seat, and said this identification, I believe, was on the library card. 
    And he also made the statement that there was some more identification in this other name which I don't remember, but it was the same name that later came in the paper that he bought the gun under. 
    Mr. BELIN. Would the name Hidell mean anything? Alek Hidell? 
    Mr. HILL. That would be similar. I couldn't say specifically that is what it was, because this was a conversation and I never did see it written down, but that sounds like the name that I heard. 
    Mr. BELIN. Was this the first time you learned of the name? 
    Mr. HILL. Yes; it was. 
    Mr. BELIN. All right; when did you learn of his address? 
    Mr. HILL. There were two different addresses on the identification. 
    One of them was in Oak Cliff. The other one was in Irving. But as near as I can recall of the conversation in the car, this was strictly conversation, because I didn't read any of the stuff. It didn't have an address on Beckley, that I recall hearing. 
    Mr. BELIN. Let me ask you this. Now from the time you got in the car to the time you got to the station, I believe you said that at least the second question asked was where do you live, and the man didn't answer? 
    Mr. HILL. The man didn't answer. 
    Mr. BELIN. Was he ever asked again where he lived, up to the time you got to the station? 
    Mr. HILL. No; I don't believe so, because when Bentley got the identification out, we had two different addresses. We had two different names, and the comment was made, "I guess we are going to have to wait until we get to the station to find out who he actually is." 
    After about the time Bentley reached in his pocket and got his billfold,

Mr. BELIN. At any time up to the time you left, did you ever get any address on the suspect as to where he lived other than the statement of Captain Fritz that he had this address on Fifth Street somewhere in Irving? 

Mr. HILL. Paul Bentley called off two addresses. One, as I recall, in Irving, and another one in Oak Cliff, when he was reading from information inside the suspect's billfold. But neither of these addresses was an address on 10th or on Beckley. 
    As to exactly what they were, I don't recall, as I didn't see the identification. 

6. It is not until many, many years later that we learn of the CROY>WESTBROOK wallet, (thanks I understand to Dale Myers?) and his re-questioning of Barrett and Croy   http://jfkfiles.blogspot.com/2014/03/solving-tippit-murders-wallet-mystery.html 

Dale appears to conclude that the TV wallet and archive wallets are not the same...  

• The wallet seen in the WFAA-TV news film is similar in style to Oswald’s arrest wallet, however, they are clearly not identical – period. It’s not even close. In particular, the newsfilm wallet has a leather flap that is square, while Oswald’s arrest wallet flap is rounded. In addition, the news film wallet is obviously thinner and more worn than Oswald’s arrest wallet.
    • Kenneth H. Croy told me in 2009 that the wallet turned over to him at the Tippit shooting scene had seven or so identification cards in it, and that none were in the name of Oswald. Why then did Croy think the wallet was Oswald’s? Croy’s belief that the wallet was Oswald’s was based on an assumption that Tippit’s killer dropped the wallet, and that since Oswald was later arrested for Tippit’s murder, the wallet must have been his. Croy told me that he had no first hand knowledge that the wallet contained anything that connected it to suspect Oswald.
    • FBI agent Robert Barrett did not know how police got the wallet or where it was found. He never handled the wallet or saw the identification cards in it. His recollection was that Captain Westbrook was holding a wallet while at the scene and asked him (Barrett) at the scene about the names Oswald and Hidell.
    • FBI agent Barrett returned to Dallas police headquarters following Oswald’s arrest to make sure the arrest report contained information that Oswald’s civil rights were not violated at the theater and subsequently was in contact with officers, including Westbrook, who had learned Oswald’s wallet contained two names – Oswald and Hidell. Was this what Barrett was recalling? Barrett says no.
    • FBI agent Barrett was known by fellow agents as being one who put meticulous details in his reports, the kind of details other agents usually overlooked. Barrett’s contemporary report of his activities on November 22, 1963, fails to mention the wallet, as does his 1975 testimony to the Senate Intelligence Committee during which he recounted his activities that day.
    • Both Barrett and Croy’s recollections are based on thirty to forty-year-old memories. None of their contemporary reports or testimony mention the recovery of Oswald’s wallet – a highly curious oversight given the significance both men now attach to the discovery. Croy’s latter claims about the wallet are particularly suspect given that he was first reportedly interview about it in 2005 by conspiracy advocate Jones Harris, seven years after the publication of With Malice.

7. It certainly appears strange that the same key players: Westbrook, Croy and Hill (who transferred to Westbrook's squad about the same time Oswald started working at the TSBD) are so involved in virtually every aspect of that day's activities and we have the Captain and a Detective for Personnel Division and an unscheduled Reservist handing virtually all of the most incriminating evidence from that day...

Hill is pretty adamant about NOT seeing a wallet or any ID...  Seems he senses something wrong with WESTBROOK and what's going on, but that's only a hunch.

The dates on the FBI reports are the dates... whether accurate and true... who knows yet as of the 23rd DPD HQ was aware that their man in custody had ID offering 2 different names...  It just seems to me that anyone with a brain could see these ID's conflicted,,, or they didn't and HIDELL's ID with Oswald's image was created by someone else...

Possibly Harvey himself... yet the DPD had recently added a quite adept photo manipulator by the name of Roscoe White...

DJ and Steve,

Now this is getting INTERESTING!

You both present info and evidence indicating the Hidell ID should have been well known around DPD headquarters while it was still the afternoon of 11/22/63.  Which seems entirely logical, except….  Below is a picture of the wallet contents with the Oswald IDs (but not the Hidell IDs).  Notice that each ID was saturated with fingerprint ink when “Oswald’s” possessions were secretly returned to Dallas on the 26th after the secret transfer to the FBI the night of November 22/23.  The ink was quite visible when the photo below was taken in Dallas on the 26th.

Wallet_LHO_ID.jpg

Which makes perfect sense.  Why, then, is there no fingerprint ink on the Hidell ID’s?????

med_res

Would you not want to know whose fingerprints were on the ID card for the alias fellow who supposedly bought the rifle that supposedly killed JFK?  No interest in that, right?

Also, as JA pointed out above, “ On 11/22/63 there is no photographic evidence or list of inventoried items from the wallet that shows with the SS Hidell card nor the USMC Certificate of Service card in the name of Hidell. And neither card is listed on the DPD typewritten inventory of LHO's possessions (225 items).

Does this really add up?

2 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

DJ and Steve,

Now this is getting INTERESTING!

You both present info and evidence indicating the Hidell ID should have been well known around DPD headquarters while it was still the afternoon of 11/22/63.  Which seems entirely logical, except….  Below is a picture of the wallet contents with the Oswald IDs (but not the Hidell IDs).  Notice that each ID was saturated with fingerprint ink when “Oswald’s” possessions were secretly returned to Dallas on the 26th after the secret transfer to the FBI the night of November 22/23.  The ink was quite visible when the photo below was taken in Dallas on the 26th.

Wallet_LHO_ID.jpg

Which makes perfect sense.  Why, then, is there no fingerprint ink on the Hidell ID’s?????

med_res

Would you not want to know whose fingerprints were on the ID card for the alias fellow who supposedly bought the rifle that supposedly killed JFK?  No interest in that, right?

Also, as JA pointed out above, “ On 11/22/63 there is no photographic evidence or list of inventoried items from the wallet that shows with the SS Hidell card nor the USMC Certificate of Service card in the name of Hidell. And neither card is listed on the DPD typewritten inventory of LHO's possessions (225 items).

Does this really add up?

Nope.  Why are the ink stains only on the identification cards in your first picture, obliterating information on 4 of 5 of them, but not on his, Marina's, or the baby's?  An intentional accident?  Suspiciously incidental?  Are there close ups available of the 4 stained ID's?  They look kind of like a Rorschach test.   

11 hours ago, David Josephs said:

For "BO" to ask Oswald about "HIDELL" as having been on ID in his wallet (per FBI SA Manning Clements), the inventory listed in Clements' report must have been correct...

• Notes are taken at the interrogations which take place on the 22nd, all day the 23rd and the morning of the 24th
    Kelley, Hosty, Bookout, Clemments and someone called "B. O."

1796967318_BOCalvinBudOwensasksaboutHidellat11-23interrogation.jpg.481abc085d82d6832cbb411a944f55dc.jpg

• Are we to believe - that despite having these items in their possession - or at least awareness of their existence...  Oswald was not asked about the 2 identities until the afternoon of the 23rd? and then by someone Fritz calls "B.O."  Best we could figure out - since Bardum Odum is not listed on the FBI list of Interrogation attendees - is this must be Bud Owens given the interrogation was initially related to Tippit's murder...

David,

Will Fritz's Interrogation Notes:

http://www.jfklancer.com/Fritzdocs.html

1st Interview November 22nd:

Present Were:

B.O. + James Hosty

Jame W. Bookout

(B.O. is identified separately from James Bookout)

I now believe that when Fritz wrote his notes, he thought that Bookhout was two words and he didn't know how to spell it, so he shortened it to B.O. Later, he went back in and filled it out as James W. Bookhout, and that's why his name is filled out both above and below the letters B.O. (That's one of the reasons I believe Fritz's notes are fraudulent, or at least not contemporaneous).

The question of the Hidell ID does not come up until Oswald's second interrogation at 10:35 of the morning of the 23rd.

In Fritz's Interrogation Notes of the 23rd, he says that B.O. asked Oswald about the Hidell ID.

http://www.jfklancer.com/docs.maps/fritz4-5.jpg

He wrote that Oswald admitted having the card, but says that Oswald would not admit to having signed it.

WC testimony of James Bookhout:

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/bookhout.htm

Mr. STERN - What sort of question would he refuse to answer? Was there any pattern to his refusing?
Mr. BOOKHOUT - Well, now, I am not certain whether this would apply then to this particular interview, the first interview or not, in answering this, but I recall specifically one of the interviews asking him about the Selective Service card which he had in the name of Hidell, and he admitted that he was carrying the card, but that he would not admit that he wrote the signature of Hidell on the card, and at that point stated that he refused to discuss the matter further. I think generally you might say anytime that you asked a question that would be pertinent to the investigation, that would be the type of question he would refuse to discuss.

You can find a copy of James Bookhout's Reports on the Interrogations of Oswald in Appendix XI of the Warren Report here:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=946#relPageId=643&tab=page

In his Report on the Interrogation of Oswald of the 23rd, he says that Dallas Police Officers F.M. Turner and Billy Senkel were present, but I think he confused them with Officers, Hall and Boyd.

On page 623 of this Appendix, Bookhout talks about Oswald and the Hidell ID card, but does not specifically say who asked Oswald about it.

The WC testimony of Elmer Boyd, and the Report of Thomas Kelley of the SS both mention Bookhout as being present.

Steve Thomas

13 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Nope.  Why are the ink stains only on the identification cards in your first picture, obliterating information on 4 of 5 of them, but not on his, Marina's, or the baby's?  An intentional accident?  Suspiciously incidental?  Are there close ups available of the 4 stained ID's?  They look kind of like a Rorschach test.   

Ron,

I can’t answer all your questions, but the photo of the stained wallet contents has been in the National Archives for more than half a century.  It was taken, apparently, on 11/26/63, after “Oswald’s possessions” had been secretly returned to the Dallas police following their secret trip to FBI headquarters, where they were vastly expanded.  My guess is that the grossly uneven patterns of the fingerprint ink has more to do with the plastic sleeves and photo techniques than anything else, but that’s just a guess.

Can anyone produce a photo of the two Hidell cards taken in November '63 stained with fingerprint ink?  James Cadigan explained that the FBI applied the ink to some exhibits but didn’t have time to remove it (a process called “desilvering”) because the items “were returned to the Dallas police within two or three days” and “there was insufficient time to ‘desilver’ it.”  Cadigan’s sworn testimony was altered because it exposed the secret handling of “Oswald’s possessions” by the FBI.

This suggests to me that the Hidell IDs were not sent to Washington the night of November 22/23.  Why?  

Cadigan_Altered.jpg

Edited by Jim Hargrove

44 minutes ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Ron,

This suggests to me that the Hidell IDs were not sent to Washington the night of November 22/23.  Why?  

Jim,

Without going into a lot of the details right now, I personally think that a whole lot of document forging went on in the DPD crime lab the night of the 22nd.

The library card, the backyard rifle pictures, the Hidell card....

I am convinced that LHO was asked about the rifle pictures at a Saturday 12:35 PM interrogation at which only Will Fritz and Thomas Kelley were present; four hours before they were "officially" found at the Irving St. address. Fritz (or some other police officials) went to great lengths to try and cover that up.

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve...  I believe you are correct...

5 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

The WC testimony of Elmer Boyd, and the Report of Thomas Kelley of the SS both mention Bookhout as being present.

No one mentions Owens and the way B.O. and Bookout are written on Fritz1 does indeed suggest they are the same...

What threw me was the " BO + me" which I interpreted as someone "with" Fritz as opposed to the FBI or SS.

The important thing is the sequence of events...  Hill puts the discovery of HIDELL in the car on the way to the DPD...

And he also made the statement that there was some more identification in this other name which I don't remember, but it was the same name that later came in the paper that he bought the gun under. 
Mr. BELIN. Would the name Hidell mean anything? Alek Hidell? 
Mr. HILL. That would be similar. I couldn't say specifically that is what it was, because this was a conversation and I never did see it written down, but that sounds like the name that I heard. 
Mr. BELIN. Was this the first time you learned of the name? 
Mr. HILL. Yes; it was. 

1:52 550/2 (Sgt. G.L. Hill) Suspect on the shooting the police officer is apprehended and en route to the station.  
1:52 Dispatcher We had a shooting of a police officer which was DOA at Methodist. The suspect has been apprehended at Texas Theater and en route to the station.  

Hill and the others are requested to make a statement, have it typed and sign it....  but then something strange happens related to the Arrest Report for the Tippit murder:

And at about this point Captain Westbrook suggested that I change the heading of my report to include arrest of the suspect in the assassination of the President and in the murder of Officer J. D. Tippit, which I did. 

When we got it back ready to sign, Carroll and I were sitting there, and it had Captain Westbrook's name for signature, and added a paragraph about he and the FBI agent being there, and not seeing that it made any difference, I went ahead and signed the report. 
Actually, they were there, but I didn't make any corrections. 
And as far as the report, didn't allege what they did, but had added a paragraph to our report to include the fact that he was there, and also that the FBI agent was there. 
Now as to why this was done, your guess is as good as mine.

Arrest Report On Investigative Prisoner, by an unknown author. Arrest report identifies Oswald as the assassin of President John F. Kennedy and Police Officer J. D. Tippit, (Photocopy), 11/22/63. 00001383 1 page 05 02 086 1383-001.gif

30. Arrest Report On Investigative Prisoner, by M. M. McDonald. Arrest  report  identifies Oswald as the assassin of President John  F. Kennedy and Police Officer J. D. Tippit, (Photocopy  Poor  Quality), 11/22/63. 00002183          1 page  07  02  030  2183-001.gif

These are both the same document

Hill goes on:  Mr. HILL. Paul Bentley called off two addresses. One, as I recall, in Irving, and another one in Oak Cliff, when he was reading from information inside the suspect's billfold. But neither of these addresses was an address on 10th or on Beckley.

Ok, so he mentions the 2 addresses... what about the 2 different identification names?  (BTW - Paul Bentley was not called to Testify)

From my paper on the pistol we also know that TL BAKER was acting a bit wonky....  BENTLEY says he gave TL BAKER Oswald's ID and in turn BAKER tells Fritz they have LEE OSWALD in custody...  BAKER does not mention a 2nd person's identification with Oswald's photo.  

92787897_BentleysayshegaveTLBakerOswaldsidentification-yettellsFritzhisnameis-LeeOswald.jpg.5374a384844543a67c77206d1e80717f.jpg

When Oswald's ID is turned into the DPD on a CSSS we SHOULD see TL BAKER'S signature and a time between 2pm and 3pm?  Except we don't have those things at all, what we have is RM SIMS and JB HICKS with Oswald's ID cards, addresses and ONE BILLFOLD which is not entered into evidence until 5:30pm... 

HICKS is not asked about this form which effectively ends the chain of custody for this wallet and contents... SIMS offers nothing in relation to OSWALD'S ID & BILLFOLD....

Mr. STERN. Now, the search in which you participated of Oswald at 4:05 on Friday, just before the first showup---you have told us that either you or Mr. Boyd found five live rounds of .38 caliber pistol shells, and a bus transfer slip, and an identification bracelet, according to your memorandum-- 

Mr. STERN. Do you remember anything else that was found on Oswald at that time? (
Mr. SIMS. No, sir; I don't remember anything else. 
Mr. STERN. A wallet or identification card? 
Mr. SIMS. No, sir; that had been taken off of him. 
Mr. STERN. That had been taken off of him upon his arrest at the time of his arrest? 
Mr. SIMS. Well, I don't know when, but he didn't have it on. 

1539672608_OswaldwalletCSSform-maybe0042-004.thumb.gif.8e81b4a9f005cb7d6a6dba4fd44eba0b.gif

Continuing on....  the DPD had notebooks listing evidence taken in alphabetical while also identifying WHERE THE ITEM CAME FROM...

Items taken off of Oswald's person are listed as such...
Items found in the rooms at Irving, or Beckley are also listed as such.

1977530364_BrownWalletfromIRVING-notOSWALDSPERSON-why.jpg.ccff56276769067cc2b8ef2920e789e6.jpg31723341_item114-BrownWalletwithMarineGroupPhoto.jpg.d8693d3ba599be588cd4e2f3c2337a7c.jpg

Why does the BROWN BILLFOLD say "(IRVING)" when it was taken from Oswald's person by Bentley  and given to TL BAKER (per Bentley)?

Which wallet is being represented on that CSSS form with SIMS/HICKS?

And the $64,000 Q....  Why is OSWALD not asked about HIDELL IDENTIFICATION found by BENTLEY at 2pm Nov 22nd and given to TL Baker so that he can tell FRITZ the man's name related to the TIPPIT case... until the 23rd?

In a previous post I had both the B1 Exhibit listing the contents of his wallet and the CLEMENTS report also detailing the contents of the wallet...  Both refer to this wallet as the one with the MARINE GROUP PHOTO.

I will post again here but we need to look at a few things...  

First, CLEMENTS' 2nd item is not a SSS CARD, but a "Photo of..."  doesn't this mean they knew it was not a real ID Card?
Second, B1 lists 3 photos ... CLEMENTS lists 2 photos "Snapshot photo of woman, apparently wife...  Snapshot photo of infant"

What's missing?  The Marine Group Photo ...

WCD443 is a large batch of photos shown to Marina for ID...  there are only 2 photos which it could...

P3 is a photo with Roscoe White with hands on hips... Marina says this is a photo of "Oswald's Friends from Japan"

img_10877_27_200.jpg

1123752807_lho_groupisthisthewalletphoto.JPG.6d8f9e6ce762000f91f968936f578f57.JPG 

and this one found http://www.jfklancer.com/bymain.html ... I do not know if this was in the wallet 

Our next photograph only just qualifies for inclusion here, but it does show Oswald with what is undoubtedly a rifle. The photograph shows a group of about ten Marines relaxing somewhere apparently in the Far East. They are on a beach with palm trees in the background. As in the preceding USMC photograph, Oswald is the central figure. He is sitting cross-legged, wearing Marines fatigues. He is facing left and, like his companions, he is wearing a forage cap. In the foreground, at Oswald's feet, are his helmet and his rifle. Edward Jay Epstein has identified Oswald's fellow Marines as Godfrey Jerome Daniels, George A. Wilkins, Jr., Zack Stout, Bobby J. Warren and James R. Parsons. He states that none of these men was ever questioned by either the Warren Commission or the FBI

The point remains, A wallet taken from the IRVING HOME is referred to as the MARINE GROUP PHOTO wallet on both the DPD index and FBI/DPD combined list of evidence.... YET, this photo appears NOT to have been in the wallet HOSTY/CLEMMENTS/etc review and write their report on.

Records (a TL BAKER report where he refers to himself in the 3rd person) show BENTLEY giving Lt. BAKER the IDhe took from Oswald during the car ride from the Theater on which is claimed a 2nd name is associated with Oswald... Alek HIDELL

CSSS form shows SIMS entering the billfold, photos and id's into evidence by giving them to HICKS at 5:30pm 11/22... with no recourse back to Lt. TL BAKER.  Neither man's reporting or testimony supports this happening or which wallet this refers to... if even Oswald's.

James Bookout ("B.O." - not CB OWENS) finally asks Oswald about the HIDELL ID sometime in the afternoon or evening of 11/23...

If TL Baker has the wallet during the interrogation... what happened to the HIDELL ID?

David,

In his after-action Report dated December 3, 1963, DPD Archives, Box 2, Folder# 7, Item# 4, page 2

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box2.htm

Detective Paul Bentley wrote: “On the way to the City Hall, I removed the suspect's wallet and obtained his name.... I turned his identification over to Lt. Baker. I then went to Captain Westbrook's office to make a report of this arrest.”

There is nothing in his Report about obtaining an address. Oswald's ID immediately went to Lieutenant Baker. Where is Bentley's Report to Westbrook done on November 22nd. Was it written, or was it just an oral report?

Why did he go to Westbrook to make his Report? Westbrook was in Personnel.

Bentley worked in the Crime Search Section under J.C. Day.

Batchelor Exhibit 5002 page 18 of the Exhibit (p.19 of the pdf file)

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/pdf/WH19_Batchelor_Ex_5002.pdf

Gerald Hill's testimony before the Warren Commission

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/hill_gl.htm

Concerning Oswald's arrest:

“When we got it back ready to sign, Carroll and I were sitting there, and it had Captain Westbrook's name for signature, and added a paragraph about he and the FBI agent being there, and not seeing that it made any difference, I went ahead and signed the report.”

Gerald Hill's Report to Curry for November 22, 1963 does not contain Captain Westbrook's name or signature or Carrol's. There is no combined Carroll/Hill Report with Westbrooks name for signature.

DPD Archives, Box 2, Folder# 7, Item# 23

Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Hill goes on:  Mr. HILL. Paul Bentley called off two addresses. One, as I recall, in Irving, and another one in Oak Cliff, when he was reading from information inside the suspect's billfold. But neither of these addresses was an address on 10th or on Beckley.

David,

There is no ID with an Irving address on it.

The only ID with an Oak Cliff address is that Library Card

The only two accounts that put the Library card in Oswald's wallet prior to his arrival at police headquarters are erroneous.

In his after-action Report dated December 3, 1963, DPD Archives, Box 2, Folder# 7, Item# 4, page 2

Detective Paul Bentley wrote: “On the way to the City Hall, I removed the suspect's wallet and obtained his name.... I turned his identification over to Lt. Baker. I then went to Captain Westbrook's office to make a report of this arrest.”

There is nothing in his Report about obtaining an address. Oswald's ID immediately went to Lieutenant Baker. Where is Bentley's Report to Westbrook done on November 22nd. Was it written, or was it just an oral report? Why did he go to Westbrook to make his Report? Westbrook was in Personnel.

Bob Carroll, who was in the car heading back downtown, and from whom Jack Revill told the WC that he had gotten the Elsbeth St. address, told the WC:

Mr. BELIN. Did he give two names? Or did someone in the car read from the identification?
Mr. CARROLL. Someone in the car may have read from the identification. I know two names, the best I recall, were mentioned.

Mr. BELIN. Were any addresses mentioned?
Mr. CARROLL. Not that I recall; no, sir.

Steve Thomas

32 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Gerald Hill's Report to Curry for November 22, 1963 does not contain Captain Westbrook's name or signature or Carrol's. There is no combined Carroll/Hill Report with Westbrooks name for signature

100% correct buddy...  :cheers

Westbrook's office appears to have been THE place to be after the arrest...

Mr. BALL. Where did you go? 
Mr. CARROLL. I went into the police personnel office
Mr. BALL. Who went In there with you? 
Mr. CARROLL. There was Jerry Hill, Ray Hawkins, McDonald, Hutson, Bentley, Lyons, and myself. Oh, by the way, Lyons was in the car with us also when we came from the theatre to the police department. I don't remember whether he was sitting In the front or back seat, though, but he did come down with us. Lyons had sprained his ankle and Paul Bentley also had sprained his ankle, and shortly after we went into the police personnel office Lyons and Bentley left and went to Parkland to have their legs checked and taken care of.

Baker writes in his report of his activities that Fritz sends cops to 1026 Beckley at 2:30 with explanation of how that address was discovered... the Library card you speak of includes the ELSBETH address - which is of course an Oak Cliff address......  There is a W 5th Street address in Ft Worth on one of the items, so Steve... you are correct, nothing in the wallet offered in evidence provides his address in Irving (or on Beckley) and the MARINE PHOTO wallet disappears with SIMS and HICKS until we see this:

SIMS gives the stuff to HICKS, photos are made and it's all returned to SIMS...  Friday evening at 5:30pm....  and yet for the rest of that evening, a 1:30am arraignment, and a morning interrogation... and we STILL do not hear a thing about HIDELL or the obvious fake ID...  {sigh}

560529630_BillfoldandcontentsfrpomFritztoHostyonNov27th.jpg.cad7fa82222e9a1dae25f8cfd0b6aeb0.jpg

You'll also notice in Appendix 11 that CLEMENTS acknowledges the SSS card with photo is not the actual card, but a PHOTO.... 

"Photo of SSS card with photo of OSWALD...."  

133849029_DODcardandSSScardhavesameMinskphoto-DPDdidnotnoticeordidnotseeit-yetisonFBIlistofevidencefromtheWALLET-smaller.thumb.jpg.c1b32afd82c8465266c90e6354ee7e9a.jpg

And yet again, with this ID in hand at the DPD at 2pm 11/22....  the first question related to HIDELL finally comes in the early afternoon of the 23rd.... still well before a Postal Money Order is created by Harold Marks and Robert Jackson of the US Postal Service Archive section.... (even though J. Harold Marks is a FINANCE OFFICER... and Robert Jackson a "Management Analyst who delivers the PMO) but seems to come at about the time Harry Holmes finds the booklet of PMOs and the stub from the Oswald/Hidell purchase.... (NOT!)...  

While Holmes tells us they have the PMO in hand by noon-1 o'clock Saturday... SS/FBI reports tell a different story

2052301446_SAParkergetstheORIGINALMoneyOrderfromJMarksviaJackson-smaller.thumb.jpg.7fda49ab173e2511d61baf5dbb524a7b.jpg

So was the evidence which shows the rifle ordered in Hidell's name to bolster the case against him... uses an alias to buy the assassination rifle (that he leaves it and a paper trail to his doorstep after the shooting while vehemently denying involvement speaks volumes.)

RCNagell later claims to have had in his possession two Mexican tourist visas, one under the name "Joseph Kramer" and one under the name of "Albert" or "Aleksei Hidell." 

But as far as I can tell - he is the only source of that info

The only ARREST REPORT with the terminology suggested

2387-001.gif