The Education Forum

Two overlapping coincidences in the Nix film.

There are two overlapping coincidences in the Nix film that, to me, seem implausible to say the least.
The image at top center is Chaney's face and helmet as he passes by(in front of) Mrs Newman's light colored blouse. Her blouse is the white image surrounding Chaney's helmet. The black blob below Chaney is Mary Moorman in the foreground.
The image on the top right is marked "Nobody" because although it looks just like a cops helmet with the dome, angled chinstrap and horizontal leather collar at its base, no officer has reached that position by that frame. The image that looks so much like Chaney is on her blouse in all the frames prior to Chaney or any other motor cop entering the picture! So it is marked "nobody"
Having that similar image on Newman's blouse can be a coincidence. Hey maybe she was wearing a Officer Chaney fan club shirt. But then when you watch Chaney's image ride right into and merge with the other image the coincidence gets harder to accept.
There is an alteration theory regarding the Z film, if I have it right, that states that after removing frames, witnesses in motion were reintroduced using single frame images to mask the broken movements that the removing of frames would cause. According to that theory Jean Hill is stationary because they used a single frame image, when she claimed she was waiving her arms.
Strong supporting evidence for this type of alteration would be finding the single frame that was duplicated from another location within the film. If they used a single frame from a different part of the film and it was not edited out of the film, it should be there.
Well it is possible the "Nobody" images is a single frame of Mrs Newman taken from the very moment Chaney was passing by. This would explain why the "Nobody image appears in her blouse long before Chaney arrives in frame. And secondly it explains why Chaney rides right into the image and replaces it.(That is the image/frame above center marked Chaney). So it makes me wonder about the odds here. Not only is this anomalous "nobody" image so close in size and shape, but then Chaney's image comes to occupy the exact same location as it. If you were shown the two images could you tell which one is the real cop? Thanks

I have a Youtube video available here. It includes the sequence of frames when Chaney approaches and merges with the Nobody image. https://youtu.be/btmKeIrpN5M

Edited by Chris Bristow

Chris, yes just enlarged it to see better(old browser) and the image is there. I have looked at several versions and found it in all of them. Some files enlarge better than other smaller ones and that seems more important than enhancing with this image.

NOTE: The yellow arrow on the far right is Chaney making his first entrance

Edited by Chris Bristow

Chris Davidson, Although the image is small and only well focused in one or two frames, it is visible from about the second frame(depending on which copy you use). Do you see the similarities of these two images?
By the way my video was rather confusing, I was not clear about it. the video has been reworded to clearly make its point

Robin, thanks for the input on this thing. The first frame you show is the frame where the lead cop(You have labeled Hargis) has merged with the image. That is frame 19 in the set I have. I believe the cop labeled Hargis in the top photo is actually Chaney. In your second photo, three frames later, have you have labeled the second cop from the right as Martin. Does the label refer to the the helmet directly above the label or the front wheel just above it? I believe that front wheel has to be Martin's as it is the second bike to enter on the camera side of the limo. That means the order of cops in the second photo from left to right should be Chaney, Hargis, Hargood.
I have posted 5 consecutive frames from 18 thru 22
The first frame below is 18 and shows Chaney about to merge with the image on Newman's blouse.

The second is frame, 19, it shows Chaney merging with the Newman image and Hargood can be see to the right as he enters the frame.
The 3rd photo is frame 20 and shows Chaney and Hargood with a trace of the blouse image in between them. Hargis's front wheel has just emerged past Moorman.

Skip to the last frame, 22, and you can see Hargis's helmet emerging from behind Moorman's head. Hargis is too low in the photo to have come in contact with the Newman blouse image above it. Directly below that you can see Martin's front wheel, his helmet is not visible yet.

post-7272-0-57572800-1465917054_thumb.jpg

post-7272-0-56057300-1465917065_thumb.jpg

post-7272-0-38832600-1465917079_thumb.jpg

post-7272-0-95579600-1465917358_thumb.jpg

post-7272-0-15951800-1465917372_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris Bristow

Chris, I see parts of the image but there is a red splotch in the face and chin strap area I think may be from enhancement. Every enhanced version I see blends the face and black strap into a single reddish image. I tried to upload a high quality version of the frame I posted the other day but it is too large to load well. Here is the website http://hdblenner.com/nixframes.htm. It is frame 17# that best shows the chin strap
Here is a frame from M. K. Davis. No officer has entered the frame yet.
I added some saturation, contrast and exposure to the M.K image. The full outline of the helmet is visible, even the top and the whiter color of the helmet is visible, however the chin strap and face is just a red blotch. The front of the helmet can look as if it is the shadow of Newman's arm against her side but it is too far in to match her body. In this enhanced version the face is also obscured by a reddish blotch.

post-7272-0-67385100-1466285592.jpg

Edited by Chris Bristow

Yes that is frame 17, Chaney can be seen just to the right of the image. In that frame no other cop has entered yet. I mistook the image for Chaney when trying to measure where his front wheel would be, that was before I realized it was a stationary image that never moved off her.
To verify it was other than a bike cop I started at around frame 42 where you can fully identify all the cops by their movement, then ran the frames backwards to frame 17.
It is frustrating that the image is so small and does not show the chin strap in many versions. But the image I posted at the top of the thread has such a strong similarity to the actual image of Chaney i.e. the shape of the helmets dome, the chin strap and leather collar , that even if it is not reproduced in most other copies, I still find it remarkable, not to mention Chaney's image finds and merges with it. That is one hell of a pair of coincidences