The Education Forum

A Review of Citizen Lane

After reading it, I understood why the MSM did not review it.

http://www.ctka.net/2016/book-review-citizen-lane/mark-lane-part-ii-citizen-lane.html

What a splendid life the guy had. I mean neither mine nor any other eulogy came close to approximating what he did.

The guy was almost everywhere, you name it: Vietnam, Wounded Knee, Memphis, Arcadia Florida with Janet Reno.

He was a credit to his profession.

After reading it, I understood why the MSM did not review it.

http://www.ctka.net/2016/book-review-citizen-lane/mark-lane-part-ii-citizen-lane.html

What a splendid life the guy had. I mean neither mine nor any other eulogy came close to approximating what he did.

The guy was almost everywhere, you name it: Vietnam, Wounded Knee, Memphis, Arcadia Florida with Janet Reno.

He was a credit to his profession.

a credit to his country and a true patriot

Jim: Phil Melanson was not at UMass . I forget the name of the University, but it was in the southern part of MA. We were good friends in the 80's and wrote snail mail to each other for years. The day it because the official site for the RFK records I attended the press conference. Marion MA maybe? Been too long. I could rummage through files and find some of his letters, some were on the U. letterhead.

Dawn

I don't know if I made this clear enough in my review, but he abandoned his law practice after his National Guardian article came out.

And any money that came in from any lectures he did was funneled into the CCI.

When the FBI and CIA began to visit publishers stopping him from getting his book published, he was getting really low on funds.

But luckily, the British company decided to publish.

And, something I left out, the film of Rush to Judgment was made through Vanessa Redgrave and her then husband, film director Tony Richardson.

Which means, of course, that if it were not for the Brits, neither the book or film would have been made.

After reading the book, you really have to admire the guy.

BTW, there will be a third part to my memoriam.

Jim: Phil Melanson was not at UMass . I forget the name of the University, but it was in the southern part of MA. We were good friends in the 80's and wrote snail mail to each other for years. The day it because the official site for the RFK records I attended the press conference. Marion MA maybe? Been too long. I could rummage through files and find some of his letters, some were on the U. letterhead.

Dawn

We were both right- sort of- it was UMass Dartmouth. (But I have a memory of it being called something else in the 80's)

Dawn

We were both right- sort of- it was UMass Dartmouth. (But I have a memory of it being called something else in the 80's)

Ok the U was called " Southeastern Massachusetts University". And he lived in Marion MA. (That is why I remembered that name). A great guy gone at only 62 in 2006. Anyone here read his MKL book? It is GREAT!!

Dawn

That is being corrected from Amherst to Dartmouth. Thanks.

Anyway, did you or anyone else know all this stuff about Mark Lane?

Incredible life.

I love the vignette about seeing Carol Weiss King in court one day, and that being a turning point in his life. And also, McAdams falling for Sheehan. Par for the course. BTW, John Paul Vann , before he died, in 1971 said that Vietnamization was working out. Sheehan and the NY Times were such suckers on the war.

Edited by James DiEugenio

this is my favorite nyt story regarding se asia:

Through his own drug use, and the drug use of his friends and associates, Allen Ginsberg became increasingly preoccupied with the American government's relationship to drug use within and outside the nation. He worked closely with Alfred W. McCoy who was writing The Politics of Heroin in Southeast Asia which tracked the history of the American government's involvement in illegal opium dealing. In addition to working with McCoy, Ginsberg personally confronted Richard Helms, the director of the CIA in the 1970s, but he was simply brushed off as being "full of beans". Allen wrote many essays and articles, researching and compiling evidence of CIA's involvement, but it would take ten years, and the publication of McCoy's book in 1972, before anyone took him seriously. In 1978 Ginsberg received a note from the chief editor of the New York Times, apologizing for not taking his allegations seriously so many years previous.

Edited by Martin Blank

That's a good one Martin.

LOL :hotorwot

See, both Halberstam and Sheehan tried to camouflage what they were really about back then.

They were not in favor of withdrawal or Vietnamization at the time.

They were acolytes of Vann. Who thought the war could never be won unless the USA intervened directly.

THen, when this failed under LBJ, Halberstam played a different tune. It took Sheehan years to get over how wrong he was.

But all you have to know about Sheehan and his book on Vann is that it was edited by Bob Loomis, benefactor to Posner.

Edited by James DiEugenio

and allen ginsberg, the nyt and arthur sulzberger lead us back to gary underlie:

"This country is too dangerous for me. I've got to get on a boat. Oswald is a patsy. They set him up. It's too much. The bastards have done something outrageous. They've killed the president! I've been listening and hearing things. I couldn't believe they'd get away with it, but they did. They've gone mad! They're a bunch of drug runners and gun runners. . ."

I wonder how many of those involved in the assassination whether they be cia, dpd, etc., wound up in vietnam/se asia.