The Education Forum

Requesting some expert feedback on a couple of authors/books

I was hoping I could get some experiential and/or expert commentary from some of you on the veracity and reputations of Robert Morrow, and particularly his book First Hand Knowledge, as well as Gus Russo in general, and maybe on his book Live By The Sword.

From what i've seen, these two have made some semi-over the top claims, and I would like to know how these guys and their claims have been received by some of the best of the researchers (ya'll).

DVP, thanks anyway.

thanks to whomever (whoever?) can offer some input.

GN

Glenn, Morrow is extremely dubious, bottom line is that he was really interested in the assassination, turned up some leads that were interesting during the Church committee era and actually stimulated some of the interest in advance of the HSCA....however he hit some dead ends in his research and began writing just to stir the pot. A good friend of mine was rather close to him and Morrow admitted that much of what he wrote was fiction, intended simply to stir interest. Considering his was the one of the very first JFK books I ever read and it did get me hooked he was successful with some of us but after much extended study of his leads they really didn't prove out....well one still has some points of interest for me but it sort of hits a brick wall for me just as it did for him. On Russo, well I think the consensus among some of us is that the got a bit too close to some of his intelligence contacts and they did a mind meld on him, turning him into a Castro did it diversion....

Glenn, Morrow is extremely dubious, bottom line is that he was really interested in the assassination, turned up some leads that were interesting during the Church committee era and actually stimulated some of the interest in advance of the HSCA....however he hit some dead ends in his research and began writing just to stir the pot. A good friend of mine was rather close to him and Morrow admitted that much of what he wrote was fiction, intended simply to stir interest. Considering his was the one of the very first JFK books I ever read and it did get me hooked he was successful with some of us but after much extended study of his leads they really didn't prove out....well one still has some points of interest for me but it sort of hits a brick wall for me just as it did for him. On Russo, well I think the consensus among some of us is that the got a bit too close to some of his intelligence contacts and they did a mind meld on him, turning him into a Castro did it diversion....

thanks, Larry...

Gus Russo - IMO, he sold his soul for "prestige" and cash. The great American way:

Just like Myers did when he made his hilariously sad and totally f###ed up cartoon for the network:

Here are images from my own "animation"

Edited by Michael Walton

Gus Russo - IMO, he sold his soul for "prestige" and cash. The great American way:
Just like Myers did when he made his hilariously sad and totally f###ed up cartoon for the network:

thanks for your response, Michael.

I'm curious; didn't Russo at one time have a good reputation for his research? Is there a point at which his "sellout" becomes clear? I'm looking at excerpts of his book Live By The Sword and it has some material about the cuban exile communities that i'm interested in - i'm wondering how trustworthy he was at the time he wrote this book... 1998

Edited by Glenn Nall

and, yes, i'd already read the first link, Who Is Gus Russo. In fact, it's that article and Russo's response to it that has me asking about his reputation. I respect Mr DiEugenio's work (although he probably still has little respect for me since the time I challenged some political bent that was leveraged into one of these "discussions" - why are most JFK researchers Democrats...? Just curious. I notice few Conservatives willing look in the mirror...)

thanks again

Glen, there is no doubt that Russo is a capable researcher, the concern is that he was given introductions to and pointed towards sources that would lead him down the Castro did it trail...that shows up in a video he helped with well after the original book. The question becomes not one of research but sources...well that and who you know that might help you a little too much, probably good to take a close look at where and how he got most of his more novel, insider type leads...

yes, exactly. great point: sources. thanks