The Education Forum

How Did They Get Roscoe White To Lean Like That And Not Fall Over?

Hi Paul,

You wrote: “Also, when Oswald came out of the house there at Neely Street, he was wearing all black -- which was amusing to Marina, because Oswald never wore all black before.”

There are a lot of things I’ve never heard about, and if memory serves, this is one of them. Is this true - about Marina being amused at Lee's all-black attire?

Tom

Edited by Tom Hume

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paul,

You wrote: “Also, when Oswald came out of the house there at Neely Street, he was wearing all black -- which was amusing to Marina, because Oswald never wore all black before.”

There are a lot of things I’ve never heard about, and if memory serves, this is one of them. Is this true - about Marina being amused at Lee's all-black attire?

Tom

Well, Tom, "amused" might be too mild a word, but Marina Oswald did explain her reaction to Lee Rankin. Here's the exchange which occurred on February 3rd, 1964:

------------------------------- EXTRACT OF MARINA OSWALD WC TESTIMONY 2/3/64 ----------------------

Mrs. OSWALD. That for a man to have a rifle since I am a woman, I don't understand him, and I shouldn't bother him. A fine life.

Mr. RANKIN. Is that the same rifle that you are referring to that you took the picture of with your husband and when he had the pistol, too?

Mrs. OSWALD. Yes. I asked him then why he had dressed himself up like that, with the rifle and the pistol, and I thought that he had gone crazy, and he said he wanted to send that to a newspaper. This was not my business -- it was man's business. If I had known these were such dangerous toys of course you understand that I thought that Lee had changed in that direction, and I didn't think it was a serious occupation with him, just playing around.

Mr. RANKIN. Do you recall the day that you took the picture of him with the rifle and the pistol?

Mrs. OSWALD. I think that that was towards the end of February, possibly the beginning of March. I can't say exactly. Because I didn't attach any significance to it at the time. That was the only time I took any pictures. I don't know how to take pictures. He gave me a camera and asked me someone should ask me how to photograph, I don't know.

Mr. RANKIN. Was it on a day off that you took the picture?

Mrs. OSWALD. It was on a Sunday.

Mr. RANKIN. How did it occur? Did he come to you and ask you to take the picture?

Mrs. OSWALD. I was hanging up diapers, and he came up to me with the rifle and l was even a little scared, and he gave me the camera and asked me to press a certain button.

Mr. RANKIN. And he was dressed up with a pistol at the same time, was he?

Mrs. OSWALD. Yes...These details are of great significance for everybody, but for me at that time it didn't mean anything. At the time that I was questioned, I had even forgotten that I had taken two photographs. I thought there was only one...

------------------------------- EXTRACT OF MARINA OSWALD WC TESTIMONY 2/3/64 ----------------------
So, Marina was more than "amused," she actually used the word, "crazy" after seeing Oswald all dressed up like that.
Regards,
--Paul Trejo
Edited by Paul Trejo

Thanks Paul, you did all that in under 30 minutes, and you got me. And now that I see it in print, some part of my so-called brain does remember reading that.

You and I exchanged emails a while back when you were trying to get a set of very cool prints of the backyard photos, and as I recall, your source fell through somehow.

Many of us have spent a great deal of time studying and puzzling over the backyard photos, and I think most of us are irritated that we can’t work with the best examples possible.

So it might make sense to ask the people that are following this thread to post what they think is the best rendering of the backyard photo under discussion - or all four photos, for that matter. And as for me, I’d prefer uncropped.

Tom

To me the backyard face looks like it has very narrow set eyes based on the brow structure when compared with Oswald's mug shot. So to compare them, without having to match there size myself, I used the photos from the Dartmouth website in which they examined the light falling on Oswald's chin.
After tweeking the contrast the backyard photo showed the pupil of his left eye. So allowing for the slight rotation of his head and adding another millimeter because Oswald's right eye is one mm wider than the left, the backyard man's pupillary distance came out to about 57 while the mugshot PD is about 67. That is a huge difference, the full range of the male PD's is only about 15 mm(As an Optician I have measured over 20,00 patients pupillary measurements))
But here is the twist, those two photos seemed to be sized well if you only look at the width, although the mug shot was about 6% wider. But when you place those images side by side they are not even close. The mug shot face is more than 13% larger.
It seems the backyard photo has a head that is much wider than the mughshot. You can size the photos to match in width or height but not both. I have some comparison photos but I can only upload 975 bytes.

It's interesting that during the Warren Commission hearings in 1964, the FBI had only two poses of the Backyard Photographs.

The Commission browbeat Marina Oswald into doubting her consistent testimony that she snapped only one photo on that cheap camera. They refused to believe her because, look, they had two different poses in their hands and they waved them in front of her face.

What nobody in the Warren Commission expected was that in a few months George De Mohrenschildt would produce a third BYP.

And it was a total surprise when years later, Genevieve White produced a fourth BYP from Roscoe White's locker, in a totally different BYP pose, with Roscoe's hands above his head.

So there were four BYP's, although at the time of the WC the FBI had only two BYPs's and were pushing Marina to admit that she took two photographs. She consistently repeated that she had no memory of snapping more than one -- yet she had no explanation when the FBI pushed two different BYP photos under her nose and exclaimed, "See? See?"

If the BYP's from George De Mohrenschildt and Rosce White would have appeared by February 1964, the case would have blown wide open, IMHO.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

I suspect that many people stand that way -- with their entirely weight on their back leg. ....

....The stance, however, is crucial, because we have no other photo of Oswald (to the best of my knowledge) that shows Oswald standing like that.

Paul,

Apparently there is a photo of Oswald standing that way, below left. It doesn't look like Oswald to me, but they say it is.

Okay, not exactly the same. The weight of the guy on the left appears to be on his rear foot, whereas the weight of the guy on the right appears to be a bit more equally divided between his two feet.

LHO.png

Edited by Sandy Larsen

I suspect that many people stand that way -- with their entirely weight on their back leg. ....

....The stance, however, is crucial, because we have no other photo of Oswald (to the best of my knowledge) that shows Oswald standing like that.

Paul,

Apparently there is a photo of Oswald standing that way, below left. It doesn't look like Oswald to me, but they say it is.

Okay, not exactly the same. The weight of the guy on the left appears to be on his rear foot, whereas the weight of the guy on the right appears to be a bit more equally divided between his two feet.

LHO.png

Sandy: actually, the backyard man also supports his body with his right leg only; the left leg is unloaded and maybe the heel is not even touching the ground or just touch. I should be able to show my reconstruction soon.

The picture on the left is a good example of Mr. Oswald's habit to rest primarily on his right leg while standing.

Edited by Andrej Stancak

I am posting again the reconstruction of Prayer Man' s figure which also appeared in Prayer Man thread. The man's posture fits well with Prayer Man' in Darnell; I would like to show this part of work when complete, which entails realistic clothing and face, and fitting all the doorway occupants there.

backyard_pm.jpg?w=803

Paul,

LHO.png

Sandy: actually, the backyard man also supports his body with his right leg only; the left leg is unloaded and maybe the heel is not even touching the ground or just touch. I should be able to show my reconstruction soon.

The picture on the left is a good example of Mr. Oswald's habit to rest primarily on his right leg while standing.

The center of gravity of the guy on the left appears to be roughly above his right foot. The center of gravity of the guy on the right appears to be a bit more toward his left foot than that. Which would mean that his left foot would also have to carry some weight.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

I've shrunken his head a little bit on this animated GIF:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Hr9Lrku-CxX3NxbUpWdGxHQ1U/view

I've always thought the head size looked a little off, as if they needed the head (which Oswald said they did when he saw the photos) to be a little large to cover up the other head. In the above animated GIF, the smaller head size seems to fit his body size.

Good job, Michael.

Without getting too tangled up in my hypothesis, Oswald’s obviously "swollen" head in the photo might well be the intended result of this anagram of “LEE HARVEY OSWALD”:

“O, A VERY 'SWELL' HEAD”

Tom

(Of course, if you want to get tangled up in my hypothesis, check out post #30)

Edited by Tom Hume

And Michael, to find out who created Lee “SWELL” head, we can check with Lee’s leader and anagrammer extraordinaire, “RICHAR CASE NAGELL”, who’s name anagrams to:

“L’S LARGE HEAD: RCN, CIA”

And one might recall that when Richard Case Nagell was arrested on September 20th, he had a veritable cornucopia of photo-processing gear in the trunk of his car.

Tom

Edited by Tom Hume

Equally interesting to the anagrams and to the back-leaning stance is the question of whether Oswald was ever seen before wearing all black?

If not, then I see a probability that Oswald deliberately wore all black for the very prospect of making reproductions of this photo which he had Marina snap.

Marina's repeated testimony is that she snapped one and only one photo. Yet we have four poses.

No matter what we think of Oswald's swollen head -- I observe that Oswald had a pointy chin, while the BYP shows a square chin -- just like Roscoe White had. The chin starts the dominos falling. Then there is the neck, then the shoulders.

It might be a minor point -- but Oswald's post-mortem possessions showed no black shirt -- right?

By the way, Andrej shared a rare photo of Oswald on Magazine Street in NOLA -- and just see how SKINNY Oswald is there. Nothing like the muscular guy on that left-side photo which many (including myself) claim does not resemble Oswald enough.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul, my guess would be that Marina took one photo for show, and Richard produced an entirely different photo-shoot, creating the enigmas we've been talking about for 53 years.

"RICHARD CASE NAGELL" anagrams:

"LAD LARGE CHIN. R. CASE"

"R. CASE AD: L LARGE CHIN"

Tom

Edited by Tom Hume