The Education Forum

Who was Jack Ruby?

Paul Brancato

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/22/2020 at 3:13 AM, Ron Bulman said:

In another thread mention was made of a presentation at a Lancer conference by Ian Griggs titled Jack Ruby and the DPD.  I googled him and the title and found references to it, I believe it was the 2011 conference.  Just wondering if anyone out there might know if more about it might be found anywhere.

Ian's Jack Ruby & the DPD presentation was at the Lancer 2013 NID conf.  I have a full recording.  It is also available from Lancer.

13 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Ian's Jack Ruby & the DPD presentation was at the Lancer 2013 NID conf.  I have a full recording.  It is also available from Lancer.

I hadn't been to the Lancer site in a while.  I was thinking you had to buy a given year's whole conference and that was a bit expensive.  No and yes.  The whole 2013 conference is $199.00 but individual speakers presentations can be had for $10.00.  With First Class USPS shipping Ian's 2013 presentation was $13.80.  On the way! 

On 5/3/2020 at 7:24 PM, Ron Bulman said:

I hadn't been to the Lancer site in a while.  I was thinking you had to buy a given year's whole conference and that was a bit expensive.  No and yes.  The whole 2013 conference is $199.00 but individual speakers presentations can be had for $10.00.  With First Class USPS shipping Ian's 2013 presentation was $13.80.  On the way! 

This came in today.  The DVD was labeled 2003 Banquet, Larry Hancock, LBJ and the Coverup.  Crap.  Sorry Larry, no offense intended, just not what I ordered.  I called the Lancer number, Ms. Conway herself answered.  She couldn't imagine how that happened,  apologized, voluntarily said she would send the right one and said to keep the other one, that I might enjoy it.  I told her thank you, if Larry's on it I'm sure I will.  Very nice lady.

I sat down earlier to listen to Larry talk about LBJ and the Coverup.  Up pops 2013 Conference, Ian Griggs.  Huh?  Out comes the dvd, yep 2003, Larry.  I called and left a message, hope she gets it before the replacement is sent.   

Just for reference,  Ian's book No Case to Answer also has a great deal about his research on Ruby including his follow up effort to locate Kathy Kay and Harry Olson....a very suspicious tangent to the whole Ruby Question.  I really recommend Ian's book, it is one of the best and probably least read JFK research books, along with William Law's work on Bethesda.

Its a shame that Ian's huge, decades long research book on the DPD did not make it into print, it would be the best possible resource on the DPD officers....it would certainly be great if DPUK could help make it happen, his son has the manuscript as I understand it.

I'll drop Deb a note that you got the right DVD after all Ron...

Griggs did nice work on the Dallas Police.  He and McBride.

3 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

We could surely use a detailed book on the DPD.

Ian Griggs was in the process of finishing his manuscript on the DPD, when illness intervened.  He then went into a care home & never came out.  Maybe Bart knows what happened to his work.

6 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Ian Griggs was in the process of finishing his manuscript on the DPD, when illness intervened.  He then went into a care home & never came out.  Maybe Bart knows what happened to his work.

I thought I read above somewhere but could not find it that Ian's son had the manuscript.  Maybe in another thread on here.  I've no idea how close to finished it might be.  If near it would be great if it could be published.  I know JFK Lancer still has a link regarding publishing.  If final editing is needed maybe Larry Hancock and/or Joseph Mc Bride could offer experienced, knowledgeable, trustworthy assistance or advice as to the DPD aspect.  I'd think getting one's fathers work published would be a tribute from a son though I have no ideal of their relationship.

In his presentation at the 2013 conference he does seem to be in somewhat bad ill health at points.  I don't know when illness officially intervened but he passed a year ago net Friday.  Sad that he couldn't finish off his last work. 

I did finally order No Case To Answer today.  I'd hesitated a couple of times previously because from reviews it covers many other aspects than DPD/Ruby I've read about  previously that have been hashed and rehashed about elsewhere.  The bag,  Mauser,  Ed Hoffman and more.  But it will be a fresh perspective for me, from a seemingly honest and trustworthy cop.  It is 400 plus pages.  I also hesitated because of the cost.  $24.99 for a somewhat now dated book.  One penny short of free shipping at amazon.  The reviews, Larry's comments and I guess serendipity convinced me.

On April 14th I ordered Rose Cherami: Gathering Fallen Petals by her son Michael Marcades.  It never came, they refunded a few days ago.  Both books together with no shipping, 46 bucks.  Over 800 pages between them, I can make them last several day's if I pace myself.  As Mastercard or Visa says almost "priceless" in these times home alone.

4 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I thought I read above somewhere but could not find it that Ian's son had the manuscript.  Maybe in another thread on here.  I've no idea how close to finished it might be.  If near it would be great if it could be published.  I know JFK Lancer still has a link regarding publishing.  If final editing is needed maybe Larry Hancock and/or Joseph Mc Bride could offer experienced, knowledgeable, trustworthy assistance or advice as to the DPD aspect.  I'd think getting one's fathers work published would be a tribute from a son though I have no ideal of their relationship.

In his presentation at the 2013 conference he does seem to be in somewhat bad ill health at points.  I don't know when illness officially intervened but he passed a year ago net Friday.  Sad that he couldn't finish off his last work. 

I did finally order No Case To Answer today.  I'd hesitated a couple of times previously because from reviews it covers many other aspects than DPD/Ruby I've read about  previously that have been hashed and rehashed about elsewhere.  The bag,  Mauser,  Ed Hoffman and more.  But it will be a fresh perspective for me, from a seemingly honest and trustworthy cop.  It is 400 plus pages.  I also hesitated because of the cost.  $24.99 for a somewhat now dated book.  One penny short of free shipping at amazon.  The reviews, Larry's comments and I guess serendipity convinced me.

On April 14th I ordered Rose Cherami: Gathering Fallen Petals by her son Michael Marcades.  It never came, they refunded a few days ago.  Both books together with no shipping, 46 bucks.  Over 800 pages between them, I can make them last several day's if I pace myself.  As Mastercard or Visa says almost "priceless" in these times home alone.

Ian wasn't in good health back in 2013.  His son Steve had to accompany him to Dallas, he was having difficulty walking.  I recall Steve having to assist his old man onto the stage at the Adolphus.  I've just finished my signed copy of the Rose Cherami book.  A harrowing biography, fictional dialogue & only touches the JFK case in the latter pages.

To my understanding Ian's son does have his manuscript; I'm not in direct contact with him but I've offered via DPUK to assist if he wants help in publisher and Lancer very likely would help....Debra had offered to publish his DPD book but it never quite got to the stage where he wanted to release it....like many encyclopedic works I suspect they never seem quite done.

Per Ron's upcoming read, there is indeed a lot of non-Ruby material in the book but Ian did a good bit of first hand investigative work in Dallas and you will find material from that which is really quite unique.  Not all of it made it into the book; I recall Ian presenting on an interview that he had done with a couple of folks who worked in the TSBD.  One had been out of town on Friday but returned on Sunday as I recall and just walked into the TSBD, the building was totally unsecured and he walked around much of it seeing nobody or any security.  He also said he was frequently not locked until very late at night because people in the different book companies needed to come and go int the evening.

When you put that together with Day's remarks about news people and others all over the building you realize how seriously contaminated the building was and how easy it would have been to recover something - like say a rifle stashed in a wooden book packing case or even to plant something that would turn up later. 

I'll be surprised if Ron doesn't come across some new material in the book....like the Olson contacts or the details of the "line up" that sort of happened but didn't because they didn't get the ID they wanted...

What are some of the most substantially intriguing revelations about Ruby connected fired DPD officer "Harry Olsen" and his wife Kay that makes and keeps them such persons of interest, even now 57 years later?

I've read some about them here on the forum, however nothing on the level of bombshell imo.

I stumbled across this title the other day and don't remember ever hearing of it.  They have the title wrong in the header.  It should be Jack Ruby The Man Who Killed The Man Who Killed Kennedy.  I'm not sure what to think about the author.  Several books on religion.  One on the Kennedy family.  One on Lincoln at Gettysburg won a Pulitzer.  One on John Wayne.  I don't see how it has 37% 5 star ratings when the highest it received was a 4.  Has anyone else ever encountered this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Ruby-Man-Killed-Kennedy/dp/B000JJW24E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?crid=3CYNZ1T882NYP&dchild=1&keywords=jack+ruby+gary+wills&qid=1589665175&s=books&sprefix=jack+ruby+gary%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-2-fkmr1

On 5/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, Larry Hancock said:

To my understanding Ian's son does have his manuscript; I'm not in direct contact with him but I've offered via DPUK to assist if he wants help in publisher and Lancer very likely would help....Debra had offered to publish his DPD book but it never quite got to the stage where he wanted to release it....like many encyclopedic works I suspect they never seem quite done.

Larry, spoke with DPUK's secretary about Ian 's manuscript.  He's going to contact Ian's son Steve to find out what he intends to do with this work.

11 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I stumbled across this title the other day and don't remember ever hearing of it.  They have the title wrong in the header.  It should be Jack Ruby The Man Who Killed The Man Who Killed Kennedy.  I'm not sure what to think about the author.  Several books on religion.  One on the Kennedy family.  One on Lincoln at Gettysburg won a Pulitzer.  One on John Wayne.  I don't see how it has 37% 5 star ratings when the highest it received was a 4.  Has anyone else ever encountered this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Ruby-Man-Killed-Kennedy/dp/B000JJW24E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?crid=3CYNZ1T882NYP&dchild=1&keywords=jack+ruby+gary+wills&qid=1589665175&s=books&sprefix=jack+ruby+gary%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Ian Griggs' remaining book collection has been offered to DPUK members & Willis & Demaris' 'Jack Ruby' is on that list.  It's one of 10 that I have put my name against, just for the cost of postage.  Not expecting 'fireworks', but just to add to my collection.