The Education Forum

Yes, Oswald was an Intelligence agent

Paul, there was a Division Five of the FBI.  It was Bill Sullivan's domain, domestic intelligence.

The difference between watch list and flash list is that, to my knowledge, the former deals with CIA HTLINGUAL, and the latter deals with FBI warnings of anyone crossing the border who is suspicious.  Why this was taken off of Oswald is very puzzling, especially the timing of it.

And Kostikov was in charge of assassinations, that was confirmed by both John Newman and Hosty.

The question is, did Oswald really interact with him in MC?

To me, the evidence says he did not.  If that is so, then why did Goodpasture and Phillips work so hard to insinuate he was?  To the point that they were clearly lying for each other.  It got so bad that Eddie and Dan drew up a bill of indictment for them both. This was after Tanenbaum wanted to indict Phillips for perjury on another count.  Recall, these are lawyers.  They understand what it takes to convict someone for perjury.

Let us not forget here that both Phillips and Goodpasture then lied again when they said the audio tapes of Oswald had disappeared before the assassination.  I spend a good deal of time in the new edition of Reclaiming Parkland, showing what a whopper and a half that is.  (pgs. 304-05)  In fact, if you ask me, you could have had a strong indictment of Goodpasture just over the pile of baloney she told Eddie and Dan about how she made a "mistake " with the Mystery Man. (pgs. 294-96)  That one is enough to make anybody sick.

Now Mark tells us that she has passed away.  Hmm.  If the case was ever reopened, she would have been on my first five list for the grand jury.

Edited by James DiEugenio

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Josephs makes a damned good case in his CTKA Mexico City series that the whole LHO trip to MC boils down to a single Mexican officials' reports.  John Armstrong thinks "LHO" may have traveled to MC, but then was probably hidden out in a hotel suite or somewhere else while the infamous melodrama unfolded at the embassies/consulates.

My personal opinion is that Phillips and Goodpasture both deserve to rot in hell, along with at least a half dozen others from the Agency. John tells me that Mr. Lopez is back at work on the assassination.  Good news!

15 Facts Indicating “Lee Harvey Oswald” was an Intelligence Agent

1. CIA accountant James Wilcott said he made payments to an encrypted account--code name RX ZIM--for “Oswald or the Oswald Project.”

2. Antonio Veciana said he saw LHO meeting with CIA’s Maurice Bishop/David Atlee Phillips in Dallas in August 1963.

3. Robert Webster and LHO "defected" a few months apart in 1959, both tried to "defect" on a Saturday, both possessed "sensitive" information of possible value to the Russians, both were befriended by Marina Prusakova, and both returned to the United States in the spring of 1962.

4. Richard Sprague, Richard Schweiker, and CIA agents Donald Norton and Joseph Newbrough all said LHO was associated with the CIA. 

5. CIA employee Donald Deneslya said he read reports of a CIA agent who had worked at a radio factory in Minsk and returned to the US with a Russian wife and child.

6. Kenneth Porter, employee of CIA-connected Collins Radio, left his family to marry (and no doubt monitor) Marina Oswald after LHO’s death.

7. George Joannides, case officer and paymaster for DRE (which LHO had attempted to infiltrate) was put in charge of lying to the HSCA and never told them of his relationship to DRE.  

8.  FBI took Oswald off the watch list at the same time a CIA cable gave him a clean bill of political health, weeks after Oswald’s New Orleans arrest and less than two months before the assassination.

9.  Oswald’s lengthy “Lives of Russian Workers” essay reads like a pretty good intelligence report.

10. Oswald’s possessions were searched for microdots.

11. Oswald owned an expensive Minox spy camera, which the FBI tried to make disappear.

12. Even the official cover story of the radar operator near American U-2 planes defecting to Russia, saying he would give away all his secrets, and returning home without penalty smells like a spy story.

13. CIA Richard Case Nagell clearly knew about the plot to assassinate JFK and LHO’s relation to it, but the CIA ignored his warnings.

14.  LHO always seemed poor as a church mouse, until it was time to go “on assignment.”  For his Russian adventure, we’re to believe he saved all the money he needed for first class European hotels and private tour guides in Moscow from the non-convertible USMC script he saved.  In the summer of 1963, he once again seemed to have enough money to travel abroad to Communist nations.

15.  To this day, the CIA claims it never interacted with Oswald, that it didn’t even bother debriefing him after the “defection.”  What utter bs….

More to come ….

James - thanks for the clarifications. As you know, Bill Simpich believes that CIA did not know who impersonated Oswald, and instituted a mole hunt with marked cards in order to figure this out. The implication is that if CIA agents, such as David Morales, were behind the assassination they were working outside of the CIA chain of command, I.e. rogue. Personally I think the mole hunt does not prove that high brass did not know what was going on. In the hall of mirrors world it might even suggest the opposite - that they knew who was impersonating Oswald and trying to connect him with Kostikov, but wanted to appear like they didn't to intrepid researchers who might in the future be able to penetrate deeply enough to see what appeared to be confusion in the ranks, so that they would draw the conclusion that CIA was in the dark about this.

What is your opinion on this whole episode? If my thoughts fly in the face of reason or seem naive, feel free to reject my framework and insert your own. 

My thoughts on this were influenced by my talk with Eddie Lopez at his home back in the nineties.  This was when the Lopez Report had first been declassified.

After I went through some of the key parts of it and commented on them, he told me that Goodpasture was a damn xxxx.  So bad that she should have been in jail.  Then he added something that really surprised me.  When I asked what she did, he said that she handled many of Phillips' operations.  Since he was always flying around from Langley to JM Wave to MC.  So when he was gone, she would handle his operations for him.  I was under the impression that she was Win Scott's assistant.  When Eddie told me this, it really opened my eyes.

See, two large questions about MC are: 1.)  If Oswald did what the WC said he did, why is there no picture of him entering or leaving either embassy. 2.) If he did what he did at the Soviet Embassy especially, why did the CIA have to lie about the phony tapes?  And then, why did they have to double down on this by lying again and saying that they had disappeared before the assassination?  And it was Phillips and Goodpasture who started this lie.

Now, one of the worst lies Goodpasture told was when she told Dan and Eddie that she was not aware of who first handled the take from the coverage of each embassy.  That is, the audio tapes and the photos.  This sent them on a wild goose chase for weeks.  They finally discovered from Scott's deputy that it was Goodpasture who collected the take from the Soviet Embassy.  And when Phillips was gone, she would do the same for the Cuban Embassy.  When they confronted her with this, she still tried to lie about it.  But as with any good lawyer, one wonders, why was she lying?  I think one good reason would be this:  if she had the first take, and she really did not know who Oswald was, then why did she not send his photo to Langley while he was there? CIA HQ had files on Oswald and photos of him.  They would have identified him quickly.  But if you believe the CIA, they never got a picture of him from MC.

What makes that so hard to buy into is that one of the triumphs of the Lopez Report is that, right at the beginning, they map out the five cameras that surveilled both embassies.  They give their code names, and describe their coverage, and on the pulse camera, they describe how it worked i.e. it was activated when the air pressure near the door of the Cuban embassy was upset.  This is dry, technical stuff and it bores some people.  But what Dan and Eddie were doing was demonstrating just how hard it was to accept the fact that the CIA could not produce a photo of Oswald with all that coverage.

So Phillips started lying his head off about this--as he did many things.  He started making up stories about a camera being out that day.  Well, Danny and Eddie found out that the camera he referred to was actually active that day.  When someone lies about something as seemingly mundane as that, it is inescapable to at least ponder the question that he just might be hiding something. When you pile it on top of all the other lies Philips told, and how they coincided with Goodpasture's lies, then it would seem to me to again suggest that maybe, just maybe, Goodpasture did what she did to complete an operation for Phillips.

I mean how else does one explain the pile of dog crap she gave Danny and Eddie about the Mystery Man photo? If you are not aware of that I gave it special attention if Reclaiming Parkland. Just because it seemed to me to be so mendacious that it was almost ludicrous.

Let me know if you are not familiar with that sack of you know what.

14 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

15 Facts Indicating “Lee Harvey Oswald” was an Intelligence Agent

1. CIA accountant James Wilcott said he made payments to an encrypted account--code name RX ZIM--for “Oswald or the Oswald Project.”

2. Antonio Veciana said he saw LHO meeting with CIA’s Maurice Bishop/David Atlee Phillips in Dallas in August 1963.

3. Robert Webster and LHO "defected" a few months apart in 1959, both tried to "defect" on a Saturday, both possessed "sensitive" information of possible value to the Russians, both were befriended by Marina Prusakova, and both returned to the United States in the spring of 1962.

4. Richard Sprague, Richard Schweiker, and CIA agents Donald Norton and Joseph Newbrough all said LHO was associated with the CIA. 

5. CIA employee Donald Deneslya said he read reports of a CIA agent who had worked at a radio factory in Minsk and returned to the US with a Russian wife and child.

6. Kenneth Porter, employee of CIA-connected Collins Radio, left his family to marry (and no doubt monitor) Marina Oswald after LHO’s death.

7. George Joannides, case officer and paymaster for DRE (which LHO had attempted to infiltrate) was put in charge of lying to the HSCA and never told them of his relationship to DRE.  

8.  FBI took Oswald off the watch list at the same time a CIA cable gave him a clean bill of political health, weeks after Oswald’s New Orleans arrest and less than two months before the assassination.

9.  Oswald’s lengthy “Lives of Russian Workers” essay reads like a pretty good intelligence report.

10. Oswald’s possessions were searched for microdots.

11. Oswald owned an expensive Minox spy camera, which the FBI tried to make disappear.

12. Even the official cover story of the radar operator near American U-2 planes defecting to Russia, saying he would give away all his secrets, and returning home without penalty smells like a spy story.

13. CIA Richard Case Nagell clearly knew about the plot to assassinate JFK and LHO’s relation to it, but the CIA ignored his warnings.

14.  LHO always seemed poor as a church mouse, until it was time to go “on assignment.”  For his Russian adventure, we’re to believe he saved all the money he needed for first class European hotels and private tour guides in Moscow from the non-convertible USMC script he saved.  In the summer of 1963, he once again seemed to have enough money to travel abroad to Communist nations.

15.  To this day, the CIA claims it never interacted with Oswald, that it didn’t even bother debriefing him after the “defection.”  What utter bs….

More to come ….

Jim,

By the numbers:

1.  CIA accountant James Wilcott admitted that his opinion was based on rumors by field agents.  James just took their word for it.  He was not a field agent, and knew nothing other than what the field agents told him -- and they teased him.

2. Antonio Veciana did see LHO in a meeting with CIA’s Maurice Bishop/David Atlee Phillips in Dallas in August 1963 -- in the context of killing Fidel Castro.  That's what Alpha-66 was set up to do.  They had no other purpose.  David Atlee Phillips describes this Kill-Fidel project and LHO's involvement in his 1988 manuscript, "The AMLASH Legacy."

3. Robert Webster and LHO were only two of scores of fake defectors to the USSR in 1959.  This was revealed by former CIA Agent Victor Marchetti, who said it was an ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) "dangle" operation.  It was for beginners.  When LHO was recruited for this beginner's mission, he was still 19 years old (and a high-school dropout, and could not drive a car, and could hardly spell).  LHO was being "tested."

4. All of the HSCA leaders, including Richard Sprague, Richard Schweiker, and CIA agents Donald Norton and Joseph Newbrough had nothing but their opinions to offer.  They were not allowed to see the thousands of JFK documents that the US Government kept secret in the 1970's.  All they could do was guess.  Their opinion was no more valid than the average Congressman -- useless.

5. Donald Deneslya read a lot of things.  As Marchetti said, there were scores of fake defectors to the USSR in that program.  It is certainly possible that many of them got married in Russia.  They worked all over Russia.  Donald made no positive identification.

6. Kenneth Porter, worked for Collins Radio -- and some people try to force this into a CIA plot.  Porter fell in love with Marina Oswald -- and some people try to make this into a CIA plot.  It's naked fiction -- intended to sell books.

7. George Joannides, case officer and paymaster for DRE (which LHO had attempted to infiltrate) was hired by the CIA to lie to the HSCA.  Big deal -- *everybody* in the US Government lied to the HSCA.  This is because the HSCA was merely Congress, and it was a Presidential mandate by LBJ in 1964 (along with Earl Warren, J. Edgar Hoover and Allen Dulles) that the true JFK Records be sealed for 75 years.  No act of Congress could change that.  The Cold War with the USSR was still raging. 

8.  FBI took Oswald off the watch list in 1962, and so did the State Department.  Hosty tried to put LHO back on the FBI watch list in early 1963, and failed.  It was LHO himself who put himself back on in August 1963 in New Orleans in connection with the FPCC.  But as Hoover and Belmont testified to the Warren Commission -- LHO never at any time showed any signs of political violence.  Because of that crucial fact, the FBI took LHO off of their watch list in October.  The CIA had nothing to do with it.  Any shenannigans belonged to James Hosty alone.

9.  Oswald’s lengthy “Lives of Russian Workers” essay is dry writing, and he probably didn't write it alone.  He usually had at least one misspelled word for each sentence, and the spelling in this essay is very good -- so somebody else helped him.  LHO was a CIA wannabe.  He was trying like mad to get their attention -- but he just wasn't smart enough.  Proof: LHO became a Patsy.

10. Oswald’s possessions were searched for microdots because like a fool he included the word, "microdots" in his diary and personal papers.  Nothing was found.

11. Oswald owned an expensive Minox spy camera; like many Private Detectives and other spy wannabes.  The FBI mucked with all JFK evidence, starting on 11/22/1963, because of J. Edgar Hoover's order that everything must fit a "Lone Nut" scenario.   This was for National Security purposes.  Nobody denies that anymore.

12.  The official cover story of LHO was explained fully by former CIA agent Victor Marchetti.  LHO was a trainee "dangle" in the USSR.

13. CIA agent Richard Case Nagell was a double-agent and was neurotic as they come.  Anything he said had to be taken with a grain of salt.  Everybody who ever interviewed him admitted that -- even Dick Russell.

14.  LHO was always poor as a church mouse in the USA.  In the USSR however, in addition to his low radio factory salary, he got an equal amount from the Red Cross -- so that his salary was the same as a manager's salary.  Also, LHO was allowed to stay in a new apartment complex in Minsk, which was reserved for privileged people.   This was one reason Marina fell in love with LHO.  In the spring of 1962, the State Department called LHO's mother and demanded that she search for funds to pay LHO's way back to the USA.  Marguerite Oswald made a sweeping fund raising tour to beg for money.  She came up empty-handed.  The State Department, out of compassion, loaned the cash to LHO.   Back in the USA, LHO again became as poor as a church-mouse.

15.  It simply isn't the CIA standard operating procedure to bypass the State Department.  LHO never defected.  LHO never became a USSR citizen.  Naturally, then, LHO could never join the KGB.  The State Department grilled LHO for that, and gave him a clean bill of health.  Also, when LHO returned to the USA, the FBI took charge of LHO, and debriefed LHO two times, and gave him a clean bill of health.   You make it sound like the CIA had nothing better to do in the Cold War than to watch LHO.   There were already enough people watching LHO.  It's a fact.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

To Paul Trejo:

(My responses are in red.)

1. CIA accountant James Wilcott admitted that his opinion was based on rumors by field agents. James just took their word for it. He was not a field agent, and knew nothing other than what the field agents told him -- and they teased him.

Mr. Wilcott testified just the opposite to what you say above:

Mr. Preyer. That was shop talk, speculation, I gather;

people were saying that the CIA is somehow connected with it.

Mr. Wilcott. Well, I believed it to be a little more

than speculation, that the source at least of this kind of

talk was, I believe, to be something more serious than

speculation.

Mr. Preyer. It was your conclusion from that talk that

some of these people might have knowledge that he was a CIA

agent rather than that they were speculating about it?

Mr. Wilcott. Yes, sir.

Mr. Preyer. And you did mention the case officer who

came in and told you that the money he had drawn out a few

weeks earlier was drawn out for Oswald?

Mr. Wilcott. Yes, sir.

Mr. Preyer. He stated that as a fact and not that he

believed it was drawn out for Oswald or it could have been or

something like that?

Mr. Wilcott. It was stated as a fact -- Oswald or the

Oswald project.

2. Antonio Veciana did see LHO in a meeting with CIA’s Maurice Bishop/David Atlee Phillips in Dallas in August 1963 -- in the context of killing Fidel Castro. That's what Alpha-66 was set up to do. They had no other purpose. David Atlee Phillips describes this Kill-Fidel project and LHO's involvement in his 1988 manuscript, "The AMLASH Legacy."

Only you would believe anything Phillips had to say. Soon after the Phillips/Oswald meeting, the framing of the “Oswald” killed by Jack Ruby began in earnest in and around Dallas. The Phillips/Oswald meeting is further proof that Oswald was an agent.

3. Robert Webster and LHO were only two of scores of fake defectors to the USSR in 1959. This was revealed by former CIA Agent Victor Marchetti, who said it was an ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) "dangle" operation. It was for beginners. When LHO was recruited for this beginner's mission, he was still 19 years old (and a high-school dropout, and could not drive a car, and could hardly spell). LHO was being "tested."

I did a quick web search and found several CIA-affiliated people who were with the Agency by the age of 20. You should have no trouble doing the same thing. By your account David Atlee Phillips was impressed enough with “Oswald’s” test to meet with him in Dallas in 1963.

4. All of the HSCA leaders, including Richard Sprague, Richard Schweiker, and CIA agents Donald Norton and Joseph Newbrough had nothing but their opinions to offer. They were not allowed to see the thousands of JFK documents that the US Government kept secret in the 1970's. All they could do was guess. Their opinion was no more valid than the average Congressman – useless.

That’s your opinion. I believe the men listed above were far closer to the actual events being discussed here than you were.

5. Donald Deneslya read a lot of things. As Marchetti said, there were scores of fake defectors to the USSR in that program. It is certainly possible that many of them got married in Russia. They worked all over Russia. Donald made no positive identification.

Deneslya said he read reports of a CIA agent who had worked at a radio factory in Minsk and returned to the US with a Russian wife and child. Are you suggesting there was a different CIA agent who had worked at a radio factory in Minsk and returned to the US with a Russian wife and child?

6. Kenneth Porter, worked for Collins Radio -- and some people try to force this into a CIA plot. Porter fell in love with Marina Oswald -- and some people try to make this into a CIA plot. It's naked fiction -- intended to sell books.

Sure… Here’s what one those books written to tell the truth says:

Collins Radio was located at 1200 North Alma Road in Richardson, Texas and held major communications contracts for the military and CIA, including the installation of communications towers in Vietnam. On November 1, 1963 the New York Times published a photo of a ship named the "Rex"and a story involving commandos that were sent ashore from the ship in Cuba on October 22-23, 1963. The Commandos were captured on a Cuban beach with high-powered sniper rifles and admitted they had been trained by the CIA to kill Cuban leaders. The "Rex" was leased to Collins Radio of Richardson, Texas. (Harvey and Lee, pp. 872-873.)

7. George Joannides, case officer and paymaster for DRE (which LHO had attempted to infiltrate) was hired by the CIA to lie to the HSCA. Big deal -- *everybody* in the US Government lied to the HSCA. This is because the HSCA was merely Congress, and it was a Presidential mandate by LBJ in 1964 (along with Earl Warren, J. Edgar Hoover and Allen Dulles) that the true JFK Records be sealed for 75 years. No act of Congress could change that. The Cold War with the USSR was still raging.

Hey, you’re like the guy who gets pulled over for speeding and then tells the cop, “but everyone else was speeding too.” Do you expect that defense to work better here than in traffic court? The fact remains that the CIA put a fellow in charge of lying to the HSCA who had specialized knowledge—that he kept to himself—about “Lee Harvey Oswald.”

8. FBI took Oswald off the watch list in 1962, and so did the State Department. Hosty tried to put LHO back on the FBI watch list in early 1963, and failed. It was LHO himself who put himself back on in August 1963 in New Orleans in connection with the FPCC. But as Hoover and Belmont testified to the Warren Commission -- LHO never at any time showed any signs of political violence. Because of that crucial fact, the FBI took LHO off of their watch list in October. The CIA had nothing to do with it. Any shenannigans belonged to James Hosty alone.

The fact remains that the FBI and the CIA—at exactly the same time just weeks before the assassination—made clear efforts to diminish Federal monitoring of “Lee Harvey Oswald.” And you, apparently, find nothing suspicious about this.

9. Oswald’s lengthy “Lives of Russian Workers” essay is dry writing, and he probably didn't write it alone. He usually had at least one misspelled word for each sentence, and the spelling in this essay is very good -- so somebody else helped him. LHO was a CIA wannabe. He was trying like mad to get their attention -- but he just wasn't smart enough. Proof: LHO became a Patsy.

I agree someone helped him. After all, English wasn’t Russian-speaking Harvey Oswald’s primary language. But it is a fine report, and was surely of considerable interest for intelligence agencies at the time who wanted to learn more about the life of Russian workers.

10. Oswald’s possessions were searched for microdots because like a fool he included the word, "microdots" in his diary and personal papers. Nothing was found.

If memory serves, there were some individual letters cut out of some of “Oswald’s” writings. Perhaps to remove microdots? Your lack of suspicion about “Oswald” as an intelligence agent is stunning!

11. Oswald owned an expensive Minox spy camera; like many Private Detectives and other spy wannabes. The FBI mucked with all JFK evidence, starting on 11/22/1963, because of J. Edgar Hoover's order that everything must fit a "Lone Nut" scenario. This was for National Security purposes. Nobody denies that anymore.

But the fact remains that owning a “spy camera” is hardly an indication that you are not a spy, eh?

12. The official cover story of LHO was explained fully by former CIA agent Victor Marchetti. LHO was a trainee "dangle" in the USSR.

Amazing, then, that the CIA worked so hard to distance itself from him, and that David Atlee Phillips met with him a few weeks before the assassination, and that George Joannides, a CIA agent who should have had specialized knowledge about “Oswald,” was hired by the CIA to lie to the HSCA and hide his specialized knowledge of Oswald, and on and on.

13. CIA agent Richard Case Nagell was a double-agent and was neurotic as they come. Anything he said had to be taken with a grain of salt. Everybody who ever interviewed him admitted that -- even Dick Russell.

That’s all irrelevant. All you have to do was look at the verifiable evidence of his case.

14. LHO was always poor as a church mouse in the USA. In the USSR however, in addition to his low radio factory salary, he got an equal amount from the Red Cross -- so that his salary was the same as a manager's salary. Also, LHO was allowed to stay in a new apartment complex in Minsk, which was reserved for privileged people. This was one reason Marina fell in love with LHO. In the spring of 1962, the State Department called LHO's mother and demanded that she search for funds to pay LHO's way back to the USA. Marguerite Oswald made a sweeping fund raising tour to beg for money. She came up empty-handed. The State Department, out of compassion, loaned the cash to LHO. Back in the USA, LHO again became as poor as a church-mouse.

Wrong. LHO was staying at first class hotels on the way to Moscow and during his first days in Moscow. He also hired expensive private tourist guides at the very beginning of his stay.

15. It simply isn't the CIA standard operating procedure to bypass the State Department. LHO never defected. LHO never became a USSR citizen. Naturally, then, LHO could never join the KGB. The State Department grilled LHO for that, and gave him a clean bill of health. Also, when LHO returned to the USA, the FBI took charge of LHO, and debriefed LHO two times, and gave him a clean bill of health. You make it sound like the CIA had nothing better to do in the Cold War than to watch LHO. There were already enough people watching LHO. It's a fact.

You sure talk as if you know a lot about the CIA. Why didn’t you know about the “family jewels?”

To this day, the CIA claims it never interacted with Oswald, that it didn’t even bother debriefing him after the “defection.” What utter bs….

Jim - well done. Trejo's dismissal of Joannides as just another xxxx who kept the HSCA in the dark because it was 'merely Congress' is laughable. CIA could have sent anyone to do that. They chose Joannides because he knew how to keep hidden the JM Wave operations and the DRE - knew what to watch for better than anyone. They are still hiding the documents on him. 

It is also ridiculous that he keeps insisting on using a novel by Phillips, a professional xxxx and propagandist, as proof of LHO's connection to Castro assassination plots. Veciana was very clear when he said in 2013 that Phillips knew Oswald would not succeed in getting into Cuba, and that therefore the MC visit had a hidden purpose. What else could it be but to set Oswald up?

And - why would Dulles and the WC want to keep things hidden for 75 years? To protect Edwin Walker?

Paul:

To summarize what I write about Goodpasture and the Mystery Man in Reclaiming Parkland, the new edition:

Dan and Eddie wanted to figure out why the Mystery Man photo was sent to Langley instead of a photo of Oswald.  And then why it was submitted to the Warren Commission at all as proof or evidence of anything.  (Note, that with that sentence, the HSCA was already light years ahead of the WC in their inquiry about Mexico City.)

There had been a search of the photo surveillance to try to link a pic to a call allegedly made by Oswald to the Soviet Embassy in the first week of October. But the delay in the linkage resulted in the info not being sent up until October 8th.  After Oswald had allegedly left.  But still, after all that time, it was not a photo of Oswald.  It was the Mystery Man, who does not even resemble Oswald.  So Danny and Eddie wanted to find out why that photo was sent up in the first place.  Now, as we proceed, watch what Goodpasture said in reply to what should have been simple questions.

She first said that it was the only photo of a non Latin taken on October 1, the day of the call.  Goodpasture said they would check on that day and on a few days previous to find this out, in order to make the linkage.  What is important to note here about this excuse is this:  Phillips gave the same excuse to Bugliosi for his book RH.  Coincidence?  

What makes it unlikely that its a coincidence is this:  Its false.  Dan and Eddie found out that there was another non Latin photographed on 9/27.  He had not been identified at the time, so why did she not send his photo up since she said she checked a few says in advance?  What makes this even worse, and shows just how deeply Goodpasture was dissembling, is this:  She tried to change this man's name to a Latin sounding name!  This reveals, as Bugliosi liked to say, consciousness of guilt. Except he could not bring himself to say that in this case.

But its actually even worse than that.  Because the Mystery Man photo was not taken on October 1. Or prior to that.  It was taken on October 2nd.  This is a crucial piece of evidence.  Why?  Because if it had been taken on October 1st, then maybe it was a mistake by Goodpasture.  But if it was taken on October 2, then that probability is significantly diminished.  Because according to the WC and the CIA, Oswald left Mexico City early that morning.

Goodpasture again tried to pass this all off as a benign accident, an error in reading the log sheet.  But Dan and Ed found the log sheet. It was in black and white typing, except that the daily rows were delineated and separated by RED PERCENTAGE MARKS. Dan and Eddie now found this excuse not plausible.  And they found it even less credible that she would not realize she made a mistake until years later.  In fact, such was not the case at all.  Because the CIA sent a cable to MC on 11/23 telling them that the photo they sent up was not Oswald.  In the recheck of photos it was determined that the so called Mystery Man was shot two more times in October and she probably knew he was KGB agent Yuri Moskalev. Dan and Eddie concluded that by October 11th, Goodpasture  knew the Mystery Man was not Oswald.  But she likely did this because there was no CIA transcript to link Oswald to on October 2nd.  So she had to push it forward one day to make it stick.

To me, this is one of the real triumphs of the Lopez Report: the excavation of this whole aspect about the Moskalev/Mystery Man photo.  For three reasons: 1.) It shows how badly and often Goodpasture and Phillips lied about Mexico City. 2.) It accents, again, the lengths they would go to in order to disguise the failure to produce a photo of Oswald. 3.) It shows the utter disdain they had for the WC.  In fact, it shows that Phillips likely knew it was all going to be a sham.

2 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

To Paul Trejo:

(My responses are in red.)

1. CIA accountant James Wilcott admitted that his opinion was based on   rumors by field agents. James just took their word for it. He was not a field agent, and knew nothing other than what the field agents told him -- and they teased him.

Mr. Wilcott testified just the opposite to what you say above:

Mr. Preyer. That was shop talk, speculation, I gather;

people were saying that the CIA is somehow connected with it.

Mr. Wilcott. Well, I believed it to be a little more

than speculation, that the source at least of this kind of

talk was, I believe, to be something more serious than

speculation.

Mr. Preyer. It was your conclusion from that talk that

some of these people might have knowledge that he was a CIA

agent rather than that they were speculating about it?

Mr. Wilcott. Yes, sir.

Mr. Preyer. And you did mention the case officer who

came in and told you that the money he had drawn out a few

weeks earlier was drawn out for Oswald?

Mr. Wilcott. Yes, sir.

Mr. Preyer. He stated that as a fact and not that he

believed it was drawn out for Oswald or it could have been or

something like that?

Mr. Wilcott. It was stated as a fact -- Oswald or the

Oswald project.

2. Antonio Veciana did see LHO in a meeting with CIA’s Maurice Bishop/David Atlee Phillips in Dallas in August 1963 -- in the context of killing Fidel Castro. That's what Alpha-66 was set up to do. They had no other purpose. David Atlee Phillips describes this Kill-Fidel project and LHO's involvement in his 1988 manuscript, "The AMLASH Legacy."

Only you would believe anything Phillips had to say. Soon after the Phillips/Oswald meeting, the framing of the “Oswald” killed by Jack Ruby began in earnest in and around Dallas. The Phillips/Oswald meeting is further proof that Oswald was an agent.

3. Robert Webster and LHO were only two of scores of fake defectors to the USSR in 1959. This was revealed by former CIA Agent Victor Marchetti, who said it was an ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) "dangle" operation. It was for beginners. When LHO was recruited for this beginner's mission, he was still 19 years old (and a high-school dropout, and could not drive a car, and could hardly spell). LHO was being "tested."

I did a quick web search and found several CIA-affiliated people who were with the Agency by the age of 20. You should have no trouble doing the same thing. By your account David Atlee Phillips was impressed enough with “Oswald’s” test to meet with him in Dallas in 1963.

4. All of the HSCA leaders, including Richard Sprague, Richard Schweiker, and CIA agents Donald Norton and Joseph Newbrough had nothing but their opinions to offer. They were not allowed to see the thousands of JFK documents that the US Government kept secret in the 1970's. All they could do was guess. Their opinion was no more valid than the average Congressman – useless.

That’s your opinion. I believe the men listed above were far closer to the actual events being discussed here than you were.

5. Donald Deneslya read a lot of things. As Marchetti said, there were scores of fake defectors to the USSR in that program. It is certainly possible that many of them got married in Russia. They worked all over Russia. Donald made no positive identification.

Deneslya said he read reports of a CIA agent who had worked at a radio factory in Minsk and returned to the US with a Russian wife and child. Are you suggesting there was a different CIA agent who had worked at a radio factory in Minsk and returned to the US with a Russian wife and child?

6. Kenneth Porter, worked for Collins Radio -- and some people try to force this into a CIA plot. Porter fell in love with Marina Oswald -- and some people try to make this into a CIA plot. It's naked fiction -- intended to sell books.

Sure… Here’s what one those books written to tell the truth says:

Collins Radio was located at 1200 North Alma Road in Richardson, Texas and held major communications contracts for the military and CIA, including the installation of communications towers in Vietnam. On November 1, 1963 the New York Times published a photo of a ship named the "Rex"and a story involving commandos that were sent ashore from the ship in Cuba on October 22-23, 1963. The Commandos were captured on a Cuban beach with high-powered sniper rifles and admitted they had been trained by the CIA to kill Cuban leaders. The "Rex" was leased to Collins Radio of Richardson, Texas. (Harvey and Lee, pp. 872-873.)

7. George Joannides, case officer and paymaster for DRE (which LHO had attempted to infiltrate) was hired by the CIA to lie to the HSCA. Big deal -- *everybody* in the US Government lied to the HSCA. This is because the HSCA was merely Congress, and it was a Presidential mandate by LBJ in 1964 (along with Earl Warren, J. Edgar Hoover and Allen Dulles) that the true JFK Records be sealed for 75 years. No act of Congress could change that. The Cold War with the USSR was still raging.

Hey, you’re like the guy who gets pulled over for speeding and then tells the cop, “but everyone else was speeding too.” Do you expect that defense to work better here than in traffic court? The fact remains that the CIA put a fellow in charge of lying to the HSCA who had specialized knowledge—that he kept to himself—about “Lee Harvey Oswald.”

8. FBI took Oswald off the watch list in 1962, and so did the State Department. Hosty tried to put LHO back on the FBI watch list in early 1963, and failed. It was LHO himself who put himself back on in August 1963 in New Orleans in connection with the FPCC. But as Hoover and Belmont testified to the Warren Commission -- LHO never at any time showed any signs of political violence. Because of that crucial fact, the FBI took LHO off of their watch list in October. The CIA had nothing to do with it. Any shenannigans belonged to James Hosty alone.

The fact remains that the FBI and the CIA—at exactly the same time just weeks before the assassination—made clear efforts to diminish Federal monitoring of “Lee Harvey Oswald.” And you, apparently, find nothing suspicious about this.

9. Oswald’s lengthy “Lives of Russian Workers” essay is dry writing, and he probably didn't write it alone. He usually had at least one misspelled word for each sentence, and the spelling in this essay is very good -- so somebody else helped him. LHO was a CIA wannabe. He was trying like mad to get their attention -- but he just wasn't smart enough. Proof: LHO became a Patsy.

I agree someone helped him. After all, English wasn’t Russian-speaking Harvey Oswald’s primary language. But it is a fine report, and was surely of considerable interest for intelligence agencies at the time who wanted to learn more about the life of Russian workers.

10. Oswald’s possessions were searched for microdots because like a fool he included the word, "microdots" in his diary and personal papers. Nothing was found.

If memory serves, there were some individual letters cut out of some of “Oswald’s” writings. Perhaps to remove microdots? Your lack of suspicion about “Oswald” as an intelligence agent is stunning!

11. Oswald owned an expensive Minox spy camera; like many Private Detectives and other spy wannabes. The FBI mucked with all JFK evidence, starting on 11/22/1963, because of J. Edgar Hoover's order that everything must fit a "Lone Nut" scenario. This was for National Security purposes. Nobody denies that anymore.

But the fact remains that owning a “spy camera” is hardly an indication that you are not a spy, eh?

12. The official cover story of LHO was explained fully by former CIA agent Victor Marchetti. LHO was a trainee "dangle" in the USSR.

Amazing, then, that the CIA worked so hard to distance itself from him, and that David Atlee Phillips met with him a few weeks before the assassination, and that George Joannides, a CIA agent who should have had specialized knowledge about “Oswald,” was hired by the CIA to lie to the HSCA and hide his specialized knowledge of Oswald, and on and on.

13. CIA agent Richard Case Nagell was a double-agent and was neurotic as they come. Anything he said had to be taken with a grain of salt. Everybody who ever interviewed him admitted that -- even Dick Russell.

That’s all irrelevant. All you have to do was look at the verifiable evidence of his case.

14. LHO was always poor as a church mouse in the USA. In the USSR however, in addition to his low radio factory salary, he got an equal amount from the Red Cross -- so that his salary was the same as a manager's salary. Also, LHO was allowed to stay in a new apartment complex in Minsk, which was reserved for privileged people. This was one reason Marina fell in love with LHO. In the spring of 1962, the State Department called LHO's mother and demanded that she search for funds to pay LHO's way back to the USA. Marguerite Oswald made a sweeping fund raising tour to beg for money. She came up empty-handed. The State Department, out of compassion, loaned the cash to LHO. Back in the USA, LHO again became as poor as a church-mouse.

Wrong. LHO was staying at first class hotels on the way to Moscow and during his first days in Moscow. He also hired expensive private tourist guides at the very beginning of his stay.

15. It simply isn't the CIA standard operating procedure to bypass the State Department. LHO never defected. LHO never became a USSR citizen. Naturally, then, LHO could never join the KGB. The State Department grilled LHO for that, and gave him a clean bill of health. Also, when LHO returned to the USA, the FBI took charge of LHO, and debriefed LHO two times, and gave him a clean bill of health. You make it sound like the CIA had nothing better to do in the Cold War than to watch LHO. There were already enough people watching LHO. It's a fact.

You sure talk as if you know a lot about the CIA. Why didn’t you know about the “family jewels?”

To this day, the CIA claims it never interacted with Oswald, that it didn’t even bother debriefing him after the “defection.” What utter bs….

Jim,

Your responses are paper thin.  There's no substance there, just a "sky is falling" suspicion.  You lack facts.  It's the same with John Armstrong's "Harvey and Lee" CT in general.  Strong on suspicion, weak on facts.  Volume, not substance, is Armstrong's calling card.  

His "Harvey and Lee" CT is the last gasp of the CIA-did-it CT which has flailed for 50 years now. 

Once the next generation of US history students can see past all the CIA-did-it, drama-queen nonsense, they can finally be free to see the real culprit of the JFK assassination -- General Walker and the Radical Right, according to Dr. Jeffrey Caufield (2015). 

BTW, I used to believe in the CIA-did-it scenario, ever since I first saw Oliver Stone's movie, JFK in 1992, and then read literally hundreds of books on the JFK murder; none of which solved the mystery.  Only when I started reading General Walker's personal papers in 2011 did I begin to see the light -- and even then I resisted letting go of the old, familiar, CIA-did-it, drama-queen nonsense.

Thank goodness Dr. Caufield appeared when he did.

The biographical facts of Lee Harvey Oswald lead us directly to the Radical Right in New Orleans and Dallas.  They lead us to Roscoe White and to General Walker.  The JFK assassination was centered in General Walker, Guy Banister, Gerry Patrick Hemming and Interpen (and their mercenary pals like LHO) and included independent rogues from the CIA, Dallas FBI, Dallas Secret Service, Dallas Sheriff's Office and Dallas Police Department.   

The CIA was taken by surprise on 11/22/1963 -- yet they knew they had a lot to hide about their many plots to assassinate Fidel Castro.   

John Armstrong misinterprets all the signs.

Regards.
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul T - you sound desperate. Drama queen? Completely inappropriate metaphor. Too bad your hero Caulfield wrote such an unreadable book. With all apologies to Jim Hargrove, calling Armstrong's book the 'last gasp of the CIA did it theory' is grasping at straws. You know beyond a doubt that what you are trying to do is discredit people who find the CIA in any way culpable. This is a false equivalence, a dishonest tactic, a page from the CIA propaganda playbook. Phillips would love it. Repeating your personal theory every time you post, mischaracterizing anyone else's theory, plugging Caulfields book - shameless. Hargrove beat you fair and square, point by point, without plugging any books.

20 hours ago, Chris Newton said:

...and then there's the little matter of the Raleigh call.

HurtjohnB.jpg

Chris,

Are you sure you’ve got the right John Hurt?

Here’s the slip Mrs. Swinney filled out at the Dallas jail:
John_Hurt.jpg?dl=0

Note the 834-7430 phone number on top of the other one.

In 1978 the HSCA contacted John David Hurt at 201 Hillsborough St. Apt 4 in Raleigh, NC (phone# 919-834-7430). Hurt received a law degree from the University of Georgia, but never practiced. He was formerly with the Army Counterintelligence corps in Europe and Japan (1942-1946) and was recently in the insurance business. Hurt was a short, middle-aged man who, as a result of severe arthritis, was missing most of his fingers from both hands. He was disabled in 1955 and received full government disability. John Hurt told HSCA investigators that he had phone number 919-834-7430 for the last 20 years. 249

--from Harvey and Lee, p. 931, Copyright © 2003 by John Armstrong