The Education Forum

Sylvia Odio interviewed by Fonzi

This is the first Odio interview after the Warren Report.

It is by Gaeton Fonzi for the Church Committee.  Even today I think its extraordinary.  What a good witness.  A real jewel is what she says about Liebeler, what he told her about what Warren said to her about the cover up and then what he did in his room. That is what the Warren Commission was all about.

http://www.ctka.net/pr996-odio.html

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

It is by Gaeton Fonzi for the Church Committee.  Even today I think its extraordinary.  What a good witness.  A real jewel is what she says about Liebeler, what he told her about what Warren said to her about the cover up and then what he did in his room. That is what the Warren Commission was all about.

James,

I was leafing through some old FBI documents yesterday and ran across a letter from somebody (maybe Rankin) who said that Liebeler was such an arch conservative that it made it difficult to work with him. Liebeler would be on one side and some of the more liberal staff would be on the other. Warren would serve as referee.

Steve Thomas

I was aware of his politics, since he headed up booster organizations for Nixon, and volunteered to run against Mark Lane in New York.

But, IMO, he was only perhaps a more extreme version of the whole WC.  I mean about as liberal as you got there was maybe Specter.  On the Commission itself, you had Boggs and Cooper.  And that was about it.

The thing about Liebeler is that, in some ways he was like Russell.  At least he was honest some of the time.  What with his 27 page Liebeler Memorandum which pointed out some of the absurdities of the WR.  

In the instance with Odio above, I think he was on a mission.  I think he had instructions to somehow discredit Odio any way he could.  

Its just a shame that this memo was classified for decades.  

James - did you see a post of mine on a Ruby thread about the man seen with Oswald at Ruby's club with the scar over his left eye? When I was reading the notes made by Richard Billings when he was working with Garrison I noticed the peculiar fact that when Billings mentioned this sighting at Ruby's the very next paragraph he said that Garrison was speculating that the man with the scar might have been with Oswald in MC, and that perhaps the photos of Oswald were all of him with this man with the scar. I'm fairly certain that David Sánchez Morales had such a scar, but that he was completely unknown to Garrison. 

I'm putting this here because at the beginning of your Probe article you mention David Atlee Phillips following Oswald to MC. If I'm not mistaken Phillips was in close contact with JM Wave where Morales worked. We know for sure that Phillips met with Oswald in Dallas. I think that in this context Garrison's surmise about Oswald being accompanied by the man with the scar is very interesting. Thomas Graves thinks Morales was with Oswald in NO as well. 

I did not know that mcGeorge Bundy and Dulles were close. For me that is like the nail in the coffin. Bundy running the White House communications with AF 1, calling the shots early on. 

No I was not aware of that about the guy with a scar.  And yes, Phillips was in close contact with JM Wave.

Garrison talked about sending someone down to MC to interview people, but I never saw anything in his memos that says this was done.

Yes Bundy and Dulles were pretty close, that is in Talbot's book.

BTW, in this memo, please notice how close Odio and her father were to Manuelo Ray.  Also, realize how much Howard Hunt despised Ray, and he quit Zapata, ostensibly, because Kennedy and Schlesinger made him take Ray as part of the CRC.

Now, also note that when the men came to her door, this is what they accented, their membership in JURE, Ray's group.  Ray and Odio were admirers of the Kennedys.

This is why I think they picked her for, as what Sylvia Meagher termed, "The Proof of the Plot".

Also notice that she knew John Martino, and my god how weird that Lucy Connell was. This memo is pure gold I think.

Edited by James DiEugenio

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

I think that in this context Garrison's surmise about Oswald being accompanied by the man with the scar is very interesting. Thomas Graves thinks Morales was with Oswald in NO as well. 

Pattern?

RR McKeown claimed a well dressed Latino accompanied Oswald a couple weeks before the assassination when Oswald tried to buy guns from McKeown

On 11/4/2016 at 0:56 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Jim (and/or other posters):

What is your opinion about the supposed impossibility of Lee traveling to Mexico and being in the home of the Odio sisters?

Frankly, the evidence for Lee being in Mexico is overwhelming. See the PBS Frontline documentary:

PBS Frontline: Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald?

There are no photos or audio but there is his signature, consular in-transit visa, the other Silvia, KGB, etc. He told Marina: "Mexican girls are not my type".

Did he need a passport? Was it stamped?

TIA

Ramon

IMO, he cannot be in both places at the same time.

And Ramon, if you used PBS, Gus Russo and Dale Myers as your sources for Mexico City then you have a lot to learn.

It took Myers over 20 years to admit the show had an agenda, after he first stated that it did not have any such thing.

Marina initially told the Secret Service that Oswald never mentioned one word about Mexico City.  She later changed her story for the WC.

Duran's appearance was carefully edited on that show to infer she saw the WC's Oswald, she did not.  And you can refer to Tony Summers' book on that issue.

I am sorry, but I do not find a bunch of KGB guys who then come to America to write a book thirty hears later as credible.  And there is more to that book I could add.

Finally, the guy Duran said she saw, the short blonde Oswald, brought no visa down.  In fact, he brought little or nothing down to get a visa.  She had to send him out to get a photo.  Funny thing happened later.  When the FBI did a search of every passport photo shop within a five mile radius, not one person recalled Oswald coming in to get a photo.

This is not "overwhelming", it is an evidentiary sieve.