The Education Forum

Jim Marr's comments on the James Files story: Has any of it been debunked?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Files will not end up in an oil drum.

He will be penning his memoirs at Xmas.

And someone will publish them.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:35 AM, James DiEugenio said:

Files will not end up in an oil drum.

He will be penning his memoirs at Xmas.

And someone will publish them.

I was in a Half Price Books near my house last year and saw a copy of Wim Dankbaar's James Files book.

If you look into Files' "full story," there's so much that is disqualifying.  It reads like a greatest hits of conspiracy theories.  He has top level Mafia people in public locations in Dallas (and even firing some of the shots) that day.  He also has conspirators interacting that likely would never have spoken face to face, and there's no evidence that many of them had even met.  Oh yeah, and he places Edward Lansdale and E. Howard Hunt in Dealey Plaza during the shooting (and he knew their real identity).  Then there's that ridiculous line that Lansdale supposedly said to Files... "I heard you was a cowboy" LOL

Edited by Brian Schmidt

• 2 years later...
On 11/7/2016 at 12:51 PM, Larry Hancock said:

Sandy I think if you do some web searching you will find most everything debunked as well as the fact that Files had read assassination books before he started talking.  As to the shell casing, of course it was found a long way from where he describes it behind the fence.  And as to Tosh Plumlee, I would encourage you to wade through the different variations of his story and note the dramatic changes as well as his dialog on JFK and Bobby being warned of the attack before hand, given the exact location of it in front of the Adolphus hotel, then told that plans had changed and the whole thing was out of control - and JFK just drove right on down the street with Jackie.  Check out how it is that Tosh knows that and his remarks on how he was visited in Florida by a senior CIA officer (Helms, don't recall) and given that sort of detail. Then draw your own conclusions.

When you are finished I will be happy to sell you my copy of the first Files video release of his story - on cassette no less - just one more of my great investments in JFK research. ..grin.

Larry, do you still have that video?  It might be of historical value by now, worth something if you still want to sell it.

8 minutes ago, Amadeus Sitchin said:

James did own an XP-100 Fireball but the serial number dates the weapon later than 1963.  Also, the two shell casings with "teeth marks" that were found have a head stamp that dates them past 1972.  Lastly, if Files fired one shot, why were two casings found?  

Where is the evidence he even owned the gun?

Well I probably still have the video, there seem to be a variety of unusual if not historic videos in my file cabinet - not really sure what to do with them as many are VHS and I don't have a working VHS player left. 

I will say Files did a lot of talking and a lot of letter writing and a lot of self promotion while he was in prison - he even got married in the process (for a while at least, not sure it lasted).  I always had the impression that a lot of it was simply something to pass the time in a very long sentence.

One of my personal rules in vetting sources is that if someone claimed to be directly involved, kept silent about it for decades and then suddenly began talking to one and all (but not to the legal system) with no apparent concern, (and neither contrition nor self justification), that would be a bad indicator.  I'm much more interested in someone who largely kept some limited knowledge to themselves, told someone safe like family or a lawyer or at best very close and trusted friend - with the expectation that nobody else, and certainly not the public,  would ever know.

Took me awhile to get to that level of skepticism, clearly I bought the Files table before I arrived there...grin

This brings back memories. The James Files confession video was one of the things I purchased when I was first getting into researching the JFK assassination. I didn't find his confession believable back then, and that was during a time when I knew almost nothing at all about the case. I've occasionally worried that I dismissed Files and his story too soon. I evaluated him almost entirely on his demeanor (and that I also believed anyone actually involved as a shooter would either be long gone or silenced long ago.) Not great reasons for dismissing someone's story without further research, but I wouldn't be honest if I said my views on Files haven't changed much in the years passed.

It seems I do disagree a bit with others here on Roscoe White, though. I don't believe that one must accept all aspects of the White family story if one believes that Roscoe White was likely involved. In my opinion, the circumstantial evidence is compelling. It's probably better to discuss that on a Roscoe White thread anyway.

Sorry, but imo nobody who actually participated in the JFK assassination would ever publicly announce this like Files did. 

And Danny, could you share your opinion on Roscoe White?

I mentioned an off-the-wall thought and question about Roscoe White a couple of weeks ago regards statements Dallas PD Chief Jesse Curry made to the press soon after Jack Ruby killed Oswald in the DPD building basement.

Curry was trying to downplay and dispel talk of a conspiracy involving any of his officers and Jack Ruby regards Ruby's access to the basement at just the right time to whack Oswald.

Curry claimed his entire force was surveyed asking every officer whether they knew Jack Ruby or had any interaction with Ruby personally.

Curry stated that 25 and no more than 50 officers responded affirmatively. This was out of a total number of DPD officers of over 1,000 not including reserve officers and over 200 civilian employees.

We all now know that Ruby knew way more DPD officers in 1963 than 25 or even fifty. Likely hundreds more.

Also, one assumes that Curry had every officer he claims answered the Ruby survey in the affirmative be personally interviewed to understand how close they may have been to Ruby and in what manner.

Roscoe White was a paid member of the DPD ( not a reserve officer or civilian employee ) at the time of Curry's "did you know Jack Ruby?" survey.

White was married to a woman ( Geneva White) who actually worked for Jack Ruby if even for a short while.

Geneva White obviously knew Jack Ruby and claimed Jack Ruby actually visited their home socially.

So, if Roscoe White did submit an affirmative answer to Curry's Jack Ruby survey, was he then questioned about he and his wife Geneva's relationship with Ruby and how it was a more personal one beyond even most of the 25 to 50 Curry cited?

Checking White's background, if he was one of the closer Jack Ruby acquaintances on the force in 1963 and who reported this in the survey, you would think White ( and every other Ruby knowing officer ) would also be asked if he knew Lee Harvey Oswald?

If White's questioners knew anything half-way informed of Lee Harvey Oswald's military background and then seeing White's very similar to Oswald's military duty and posting location, that a red flag ( even if small ) may have popped up?

White and his wife knew Jack Ruby in a personal way, White's service time and duty station locations cross-check with Lee Harvey Oswald's, White's military duty may have included covert activities...Hmmm ...

That's quite a double Ruby/Oswald connection coincidence that should have drawn at least a raised eyebrow pause in that super high charged investigative effort in my opinion.

Would like to have seen Chief Jessie Curry's list of DPD officers "who even knew" Jack Ruby and reported this in response to his survey. 

If Roscoe White wasn't one of these, he surely should have been.

And White's not reporting this would just add even more suspicion regards his possible nefarious activity during this time frame.

Was Curry's list of Jack Ruby knowing DPD officers ever made public?

Edited by Joe Bauer

50 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Also, did Files claim to be using the Remington "Fireball" with the mounted scope?  If so, don't the usual arguments against the usefulness of scoped weapons from behind the Knoll fence apply here?

Yes he claimed to have used a scope. He said he watched the whole thing through it and only took his shot because a kill shot hadn't hit.

I would suggest you get a spent ammunition case and see if you can bite it hard enough to leave teeth impressions. These cases are designed to retain lots of pressure without deforming and sticking  in in the chamber and  as a reloader I can tell you cases can be reloaded multiple time without splitting.

Edited by Evan Marshall