The Education Forum

For me, it’s very cool to participate on this forum with so many knowledgeable people. It’s especially interesting to be able to interact with authors whose names I see on my bookshelf. I appreciate the opportunity to read posts and have discussions with these experts.

I just finished reading Vincent Palamara’s “JFK – From Parkland To Bethesda”, and since Vince is a frequent contributor to the forum, I hoped to start a thread to discuss this book specifically with him and to discuss the research presented.

I thought the book was great. I’m my opinion it’s more for advanced students of the assassination and for other researchers than for total beginners, but anyone just starting to learn about the JFK assassination might also find it a useful guidebook to seeking out reference material.

Vince himself acknowledges at the beginning that it is more like a map through the complicated medical evidence than a traditional JFK book. I thought of it as a super tricked out combo of an index and detailed footnotes.

As an example, it will have a name and title, followed immediately by information on a chronological a. b. c. listing where that name has been referenced in other books or government records. If the work cited has specific references to wounds, those are quoted/summarized in long paragraphs which make for very interesting reading. Upon occasion, you can see slight (or even major) changes in some people’s stories.

The names have been assembled thoroughly, even citing an account that was submitted semi-anonymously to a book by Abigail Van Buren (Dear Abby) collecting stories from people recalling where they were when JFK was assassinated. Vince seems to have collected all the information possible about everyone on record as being around JFK and Connally at Parkland, and around JFK at Bethesda. It appears to be as comprehensive as one can get.

I'm already working on breaking down some of the information in the book for analysis, but I wanted to start this thread first before digging in too deep. I hope to let others weigh in and for Vince to say a few words about how he came to write it as well as what he feels he learned from his research.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot, Denny. The book was a labor of love, although it was almost an after thought. There was a fire at my house in 1998 and I worked on the book almost as therapy while the disaster restoration guys worked away.  Although I am known as the "Secret Service expert", I have always had a fascination with the medical evidence and lamented that everything was, to paraphrase Kevin Costner/ Jim Garrison in "JFK", so spread around that the point gets lost. So, what I wanted to do was compile EVERY single reference, primary and secondary source, of EVERY known and obscure medical witness that I could (I was also no newbie to the medical field- I had interviewed, on video, Aubrey Rike on 11/22/97 and Jerrol Custer on 11/22/91 and twice in March 1998). It was privately published (can you say Kinkos LOL?) and then faded away, although it was mentioned by a few notable authors like William Law and Dr. David Mantik. Since my first book SURVIVOR'S GUILT did so well, my publisher wanted more, so I decided to dust it off and update it.

Admittedly, it is an "advanced" book and not one for beginners. The response has been very good, indeed.

My third book comes out 5/1/17.

Edited by Vince Palamara

It’s an excellent book, Vince. I’ve already dog-eared and marked it up as much as any JFK book I own, and likely more.

I had been working a little on breaking down some of the Dealey Plaza witness testimony, so I really appreciate the opportunity to do similar research regarding the medical witnesses. Your book seems to the best resource for complete guidance on that topic.

When trying to investigate the JFK assassination as a crime, I feel the need to step back and try to see the big picture if possible. So many books reference witnesses with “some say”, “many say”, “most say” and the like. There’s always part of me that wonders exactly how many witnesses say X or Y or Z, and if it’s even possible to calculate those numbers.

REVISED and UPDATED Nov 12, 2016

Here is my informal analysis of information from all the 175 people listed in section one “Parkland” of the book “JFK – From Parkland To Bethesda.”

This list should comprise all known individuals who were, in Vince’s words “The doctors, nurses, and sundry other people who were in some way connected to the emergency treatment of President Kennedy in Dallas Texas on November 22, 1963”

Many names have no useful information regarding JFK’s wounds, so I have later tried to break down into numbers the opinions of those who did comment on the location of specific injuries.

There is occasional difficulty in adding things up because some witnesses later went on to change their stories. Others describe multiple wounds and wounds in different areas of the head.

This analysis focuses primarily on the location(s) and nature of wounds on Kennedy’s skull and anterior neck.

These are the 5 characteristics that I tried to spotlight:

Was there a head wound located in the occipital area (lower back of the skull) or the occipital parietal (referred to here as “Occipital right”, meaning the right side of the occipital area including some of the adjoining parietal area)?

Was the wound in the temporal (the right side of the skull over the ear)?

Was the head wound tangential (bullet striking the side, entering and exiting in the same wound)?

Did the anterior neck wound (front of the throat just below Adam’s apple) have the appearance of an entrance or exit wound?

Was cerebellum (brain from the lower back of the skull) seen?

If there is no record of statements or expressed opinion on these six specific questions, I’ve noted “no info.” (That shouldn’t be interpreted as saying those labeled “no info” don’t have useful information on other subjects of interest.)

I tried to minimize errors as much as possible, but I’m sure there are some. If anyone spots any, please let me know and I’ll correct them.

The numbering of names on these following lists do NOT correspond to the numbering of names in the book.

-

BASIC INDEX OF NAMES, OCCUPATIONS (when applicable), AND OBSERVATIONS

DOCTORS

1. Clark, Dr. William Kemp – Chief neurosurgeon: Occipital right, throat wound entrance, saw cerebellum possible tangential
  2. Perry, Dr. Malcolm Oliver – Attending surgeon: Occipital right, throat wound entrance, saw cerebellum, possible tangential
  3. McClelland, Dr. Robert Nelson – Attending surgeon: Occipital right, throat wound entrance, believes in frontal shot
  4. Jenkins, Dr. Marion Thomas – Chief Anesthesiologist: Temporal, Occipital right then later changed story, throat wound entrance, tangential, saw cerebellum then later changed story
  5. Carrico, Dr. Charles James – Resident Surgeon: Occipital right, later changed story to top right, throat wound entrance, saw cerebellum
  6. Jones, Dr. Ronald Coy - Chief Resident Surgeon: Occipital right, throat wound entrance
  7. Akin, Dr. Gene Coleman (aka Solomon Ben Israel) - Resident Anesthesiologist: Occipital right, tangential, throat wound entrance
  8. Peters, Dr. Paul Conrad – Urologist: Occipital, Occipital right, throat wound entrance, saw cerebellum
  9. Crenshaw, Dr. Charles A. – Resident Surgeon: Occipital right, throat wound entrance, saw cerebellum
  10. Baxter, Dr. Charles Rufus – Attending Surgeon: Temporal, occipital right, tangential, waffled on throat wound entrance, said head wound was so far in the back as not to be visible from looking at JFK’s head from the front
  11. Grossman, Dr. Robert G. – Resident Neurosurgeon: Reported seeing TWO WOUNDS – One on temporal and a second wound on occipital, also described a skin flap on right side of head
  12. Dulany, Dr. Richard Brooks – Resident Surgeon: Occipital, couldn’t see much until head was picked up, later indicated wound was on the top rear of JFK’s head
  13. Giesecke, Dr. Adolph Hartung, Jr. – Anesthesiologist: Only saw JFK briefly before moving to Governor John Connally. Describes the side of JFK’s head gone, but says it was the left-hand side. Later admitted error. Occipital but later changed position.
  14. Bashour, Dr. Fouad A. – Chief Cardiologist: Occipital
  15. Curtis, Dr. Don Teel – Resident Oral Surgeon: Temporal, later tangential and occipital right, thought head wound was an exit wound
  16. Williams, Dr. Phillip Earle – Intern:  Occipital right, saw cerebellum
  17. Hunt, Dr. Jackie Hansen – Anesthesiologist: Did not see back of head but heard occipital wound described, specifically did NOT see a temporal wound
  18. Zedlitz, Dr. William H. – Resident Surgeon: Occipital right, describes throat wound as “small”
  19. Stewart, David – Surgeon: Occipital right, describes entry wound in the left front of JFK’s head and the rear wound as one of exit
  20. Duke, Dr. James: Occipital
  21. Harper, Dr. Jack C.: Occipital (based on examination of Harper fragment)
  22. Cairns, Dr. A. B.: Occipital (based on examination of Harper fragment)
  23. Noteboom, Dr. Gerard: Occipital (based on examination of Harper fragment)
  24. Goldstritch, Dr. Joe D.: Throat wound entrance
  25. Salyer, Dr. Kenneth Everett – Resident Surgeon: Temporal, though Everett seems to viewed JFK from JFK’s left side only
  26. Midgett, Dr. William – OBGYN Resident: Temporal
  27. Shaw, Dr. Robert Roeder: Throat wound entrance
  28. Porto, Dr. Lito: Left temple entry wound
  29. White, Dr. Martin G. – Resident Surgeon: No specific references to wounds except did not see V cut above JFK’s right eye
  30. Burkley, Dr. / Admiral George Gregory - JFK’s Physician: Seemed to indicate the bullet entered JFK’s right temple, no other specific descriptions of wounds
  31. Seldin, Dr. Donald W. – Chief Internist: Seems to agree with official rear shot story while simultaneously saying JFK was hit in the forehead
  32. Rose, Dr. Earl Forrest – Dallas County Medical Examiner: Seems to disagree with location of head wound as described in JFK’s official autopsy report
  33. Gregory, Dr. Charles Francis: No info
  34. Shires, Dr. George Thomas: No info
  35. Nelson, Dr. John – Pediatric Resident: No info
  36. Stembridge, Vernon – Chief of Surgical Pathology: No info
  37. Stewart, Sidney C. – Resident Pathologist: No info
  38. Holcomb, Dr. Luther: No info
  39. Jackson, Dr. Donald: No info
  40. LeMaistre, Dr. C. A.: No info
  41. Pannill, Dr. Carter: No info
  42. Pepper, Chaplain / Dr. Ken: No info
  43. Gustafson, Dr. Gerry: No info
  44. McGaw, Dr.: No info
  45. Garvey, Dr. J: No info
  46. Guy, Dr.: No info
  47. Mebane, Dr. David: No info
  48. Boland, Dr. James: No info
  49. Patman, Dr. Ralph Don: No info
  50. Coln, Dr. Dale: No info
  51. Risk, Dr. William: No info
  52. Spier, Dr. Curtis: No info
  53. Gill, Dr. A. J.: No info
  54. Baker, Dr. Deuon: No info
  55. Reynolds, Dr. Jack: No info
  56. Rogers, Dr. Doyle: No info
  57. Pollock, Dr. Harlan: No info
  58. Osborne, Dr. William: No info
  59. Parker, Dr. John: No info

NURSES

1. Hutton, Patricia B.: Occipital, low on head, observed no temporal wounds
  2. Bell, Audrey N.: Occipital, observed no temporal wounds
  3. Bowron, Diana Hamilton: Occipital, throat wound entrance
  4. Hinchliffe, Margaret M.: Occipital, throat wound entrance
  5. Nelson, Doris Mae – Chief Supervising Nurse: Occipital Right
  6. Lozano, Bertha L.:  No info, REFERENCES A PRIVATE PATIENT THAT WAS BLEEDING
  7. Standridge, Ruth Jeanette - Head Nurse : No info
  8. Farrington, Bertha: No info
  9. Lennon, Sally: No info
  10. Watkins, C.: No info
  11. Shelby, Faye Dean: No info
  12. Molden, Eleanor: No info
  13. Wright-Good, Elizabeth L. – Nursing Service Director: No info
  14. Settles, Sally: No info
  15. Schrader, Pat: No info
  16. Stravapolous, Mrs. – Head Nurse: No info
  17. Burkett: No info
  18. Oliver: No info
  19. Deming: No info
  20. Johnson: No info
  21. Lunsford: No info
  22. Simpson: No info
  23. Rutherford: No info
  24. J. D.: No info

MISC:

1. Ward, Theran - Justice of the Peace: Occipital right
  2. Rike, Aubrey L. – Asst. Undertaker: Occipital right
  3. Wright, Milton T. Jr. – Texas Highway Patrolman: Occipital right, though seems to later include temporal (and states wound was on the left side)
  4. Stamps, Roy – Fort Worth Newsman: Occipital
  5. Willie, Donna: Throat wound entrance
  6. Kennedy, Jaqueline – First Lady: Top of head
  7. Huber, Oscar L. – Priest: Described wound over JFK’s left eye
  8. Kantor, Seth – Scripps-Howard Reporter: Entry wound in right temple (though unclear if he witnessed this or was told)
  9. Jacks, Hurchel D. – Texas State Highway Patrolman: Temporal
  10. Powers, David F. – JFK Aide: Top of head, top parietal
  11. Kilduff, Malcolm – Assistant Press Secretary: Temporal, frontal, (and states wound was on the left side)
  12. Huggins, Hugh (aka Howell, Hugh) – Marine / Undercover CIA – Left temple entry wound, 2 temporal
  13. Wright, O. P. – Chief Of Security: : No info, apparently picked up a bullet that was not CE 399
  14. Sanders, David – Orderly: No info
  15. Wester, Jane Carolyn – Operating Room Assistant Supervisor: No info
  16. Lumpkin, Era – Aide: No info
  17. Randall, Shirley – Aide: No info
  18. Majors, Rosa M. – Aide: No info
  19. Dunn, Tommy – Orderly: No info
  20. Richards, Joe – Orderly: No info
  21. Gerloff, Charles D. – Security Officer: No info
  22. Price, Charles Jack – Administrator: : No info
  23. Cabluck, Jarrold – Ft. Worth Star-Telegram Photographer: No info
  24. Cain, Thomas – Priest: No info
  25. Thompson, James – Priest: No info
  26. O’Neal, Vernon B. – Undertaker: No info
  27. McGuire, Dennis – Asst. Undertaker: No info
  28. Kinney, Samuel A. – Secret Service Agent: No info
  29. Rich, Joe Henry – Texas Highway Patrolman: No info
  30. Landregan, Steve – Parkland Assistant Administrator: No info
  31. Holcomb, Robert G. – Assistant Administrator: No info
  32. O’Donnell, Kenneth Patrick – JFK Aide: No info
  33. Tice, Wilma May: No info
  34. Smith, Merriman – United Press International Reporter: No info
  35. Harper, William Allen – Medical student: No info
  36. McCoy, Ulah – Admitting Office Chief Clerk: No info
  37. Geilich, Peter N. Administrative Assistant: No info
  38. Dutton, Robert – Administrative Assistant: No info
  39. Reddick, Carol – Administrative Aide: No info
  40. Tarrant, Jean – Aide: No info
  41. Scott, Frances – Aide: No info
  42. Haywood, Willie – Orderly: No info
  43. Pomeroy, Jill – Ward Clerk: No info
  44. Shankles, Joe H. – Security Officer: No info
  45. Moore, L. G. – Security Officer: No info
  46. Locklin, Henry N. – Security Officer: No info
  47. Ross, Henrietta Magnolia – Operating Room Technician: No info
  48. Jimison, R. J. – Orderly: No info
  49. Bartlett, Phyllis – Chief Telephone Operator – No info
  50. Lincoln, Evelyn – JFK’s Secretary – No info
  51. Deibel, Mrs.: No info
  52. Uzee, Norris: No info
  53. Struwe, Bob – Comptroller: No info
  54. Maher, Edward – Chairman Of the Board of Managers: No info
  55. Crall, Paul: No info
  56. Gannon, Fayetta: No info
  57. Lively, Mrs.: No info
  58. Huber, Katie: No info
  59. Martinets, Billie – Associate Nursing Supervisor: No info
  60. McLaughlin, Ruth – Operator: No info
  61. Willis, John – Purchasing Agent: No info
  62. Storey, Faye: No info
  63. Davis, Chaplain: No info
  64. Miller, Sara – Nursing Supervisor Out Patient Clinic: No info
  65. Owens, Luella: No info
  66. Reid, Virginia – Assistant Director of Nursing Service: No info
  67. Beck, Miss: No info
  68. Drake, Myrtle: No info
  69. Curtiss, Mrs. : No info
  70. Fitzgerald, Mrs. – Second Floor Supervisor: No info
  71. Rogers, Carolyn – Assistant Director of Nursing Service: No info
  72. Jones, Mr. : No info
  73. Nell, Mary: No info
  74. Magin, Madeleine – Assignment Desk: No info
  75. Palmer, Miss: No info
  76. Holse – Admitting Orderly: No info
  77. King, Miss: No info
  78. Davis, Mr. – Engineer: No info
  79. Reyse, Jose: No info
  80. Davenport, Mrs. : No info
  81. Watson, Mr. : No info
  82. Lewis, Mrs. – Housekeeping Department Supervisor: No info
  83. Ellis, Mrs. : No info
  84. Berger, Mrs. : No info
  85. Scroggins, Mrs. – Social Service: No info
  86. Geddis: No info
  87. Mata, Joe – Orderly: No info
  88. Harbison, Charles – Texas State Trooper: No info
  89. Raley, Ken – Reserve Policeman / Medical Technologist: No info
  90. Bishop, Colonel William C. – CIA Contract Agent: No info
  91. Ferguson, Anne – Switchboard operator: No info
  92. O’Brien, Lawrence F. – JFK Special Assistant: No info

END MAIN INDEX

-

INITIAL BREAKDOWN / ANALYSIS

It seems that the 175 people at Parkland on record as being involved or in the proximity of those involved with the treatment of injuries to Kennedy, Connally and Oswald from November 22-24, 1963 are comprised of:

59 Doctors

24 Nurses

92 Misc

Out of 59 doctors, 29 seem to provide information about the location and/or nature of JFK’s skull and/or anterior neck wound(s).

1. Clark
  2. Perry
  3. McClelland
  4. Jenkins
  5. Carrico
  6. Jones
  7. Akin
  8. Peters
  9. Crenshaw
  10. Baxter
  11. Grossman
  12. Dulany
  13. Giesecke
  14. Bashour
  15. Curtis
  16. Williams
  17. Hunt
  18. Zedlitz
  19. Stewart
  20. Duke
  21. Harper, Jack
  22. Cairns
  23. Noteboom
  24. Goldstritch
  25. Salyer
  26. Midgett
  27. Shaw
  28. Porto
  29. Burkley

Out of those 29 doctors that expressed opinions:

20 doctors appear to refer to JFK’s head wound as being in the occipital or occipital right area only:

1. Clark
  2. Perry
  3. McClelland
  4. Jenkins (later changed opinion)
  5. Carrico
  6. Jones
  7. Akin
  8. Peters
  9. Crenshaw
  10. Dulany
  11. Giesecke (later changed opinion)
  12. Bashour
  13. Curtis
  14. Williams
  15. Zedlitz
  16. Stewart
  17. Duke
  18. Harper
  19. Cairns
  20. Noteboom

7 doctors apparently referred to seeing cerebellum:

1. Clark
  2. Perry
  3. Jenkins (later changed opinion)
  4. Carrico
  5. Peters
  6. Crenshaw
  7. Williams

4 doctors seemed to mention observing head wounds in the occipital right AND temporal region:

1. Jenkins
  2. Baxter
  3. Grossman
  4. Teel

5 doctors seem to refer to a head wound in the temporal region ONLY:

1. Midgett
  2. Salyer
  3. Jenkins (after changing story)
  4. Giesecke (after changing story)
  5. Teel (later changed story)

Out of 24 nurses, 5 seem to provide information about the location and/or nature of JFK’s skull and/or anterior neck wound(s).

All 5 nurses offering opinions about JFK refer to a wound in the occipital or occipital right skull:

1. Hutton
  2. Bell
  3. Bowron
  4. Hinchliffe
  5. Nelson

There seem to be NO nurses from Parkland who are on record as observing a temporal wound.

Furthermore, it appears that 2 nurses and 2 doctors are on record as specifically stating that they DID NOT observe a wound in the temporal area:

1. Nurse Hutton
  2. Nurse Bell
  3. Dr. Jones
  4. Dr. Hunt

MISC

Out of 92 miscellaneous people listed, 12 seem to be on record as providing information relating to the location or nature of JFK’s wounds:

1. Ward
  2. Rike
  3. Wright, Milton
  4. Stamps
  5. Willie
  6. Kennedy
  7. Huber
  8. Kantor
  9. Jacks
  10. Powers
  11. Kilduff
  12. Huggins

Out of those 12 misc. people giving opinions, it seems that 4 say they observed a wound in the occipital or occipital right area of the skull:

1. Ward
  2. Rike
  3. Wright, Milton
  4. Stamps

Out of those 12 misc. people giving opinions, it seems that 4 say they observed a wound in the temporal area:

1. Wright, Milton (after changing story)
  2. Jacks
  3. Kilduff
  4. Huggins

It seems 15 people (12 doctors, 2 nurses, and 1 misc.) who are on record as giving descriptions of JFK’s anterior neck wound described this wound as either being one of entrance or having the characteristics of an entrance wound.

DOCTORS:

1. Clark
  2. Perry
  3. McClelland
  4. Jenkins
  5. Carrico
  6. Jones
  7. Akin (Israel)
  8. Peters
  9. Crenshaw
  10. Zedlitz
  11. Goldstritch
  12. Shaw

NURSES:

1. Bowron
  2. HInchliffe

MISC:

1. Willie

Other than 1 doctor (Baxter) who later seemed to be unsure of whether it was a wound of entrance or exit, it seems that NO observers at Parkland described JFK’s anterior neck wound as having the characteristics of an exit wound.

FINAL BREAKDOWN REGARDING LOCATION OF JFK’s HEAD WOUND

Out of 175 people identified with being associated with Parkland, 46 people (29 doctors, 5 nurses, and 12 misc.) are recorded as giving opinions regarding the location and/or nature of JFK’s head wounds.

Out of 46 people overall who have given opinions regarding the location and/or nature of JFK’s head wounds, 33 people (24 doctors, 5 nurses, 4 misc.) reported seeing a head wound in the occipital or occipital right area of the skull.

(3 of those doctors initially mentioned an occipital right wound but later changed their opinions: Jenkins, Dulany, Giesecke)

5 people (4 doctors, 0 nurses, 1 misc) mentioned head wounds in BOTH the occipital right and temporal region.

9 people (5 doctors, 0 nurses, 4 misc) seemed to indicate JFK’s head wound was temporal only. 3 of those doctors had previously indicated parietal or occipital.

END

Edited by Denny Zartman
Updated Nov 12, 2016

Okay, the Parkland breakdown is complete. I edited my above post, and right now (Nov. 12, 2016) has the first revised and complete version. I did my best to catch any errors, but I'm sure there are some. Hopefully, I can now appreciate a fraction of the extraordinary effort it takes to do serious research and write a book like this. It was quite difficult to assemble and analyze the information, then try and comb through it for errors and make it somewhat comprehensible. I may have to take a little break before analyzing Bethesda. I'd also like to hear what people think of the analysis, and if they think I should be doing anything different.

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback or criticism. Have I analyzed the relevant information? Are there other ways the information should be broken down in order to learn more?

Anyway, doing this analysis, I have learned a tremendous amount already, like that three of the doctors that worked on Connally are on record as doubting the single bullet theory. That was quite interesting. There are also many fascinating nuggets of information that I hope to explore in other threads on this forum. Thank for writing the book, Vince. I'm sure it will be a valuable resource for research for many years to come.