The Education Forum

How did the police first learn of 1026 N. Beckley?

Steve Thomas

In summary, the police first learned of 1026 North Beckley long before the JFK assassination.

My evidence is the account by landlady Earlene Roberts, who testified to the WC that two policemen drove up to her rooming house in a squad car that she didn't recognize, only minutes after the JFK assassination, and honked their horn briefly, "tit-tit, just like that," before driving away.

This was two hours before Dallas Postmaster Harry Holmes claimed that he discovered that address and passed it over to the Dallas Police.

Only minutes after the cop car honking event, J.D. Tippit was lying in a pool of blood, and Lee Harvey Oswald was running to the Texas Theater.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fritz told the WC that "an officer" whose name he couldn't remember stopped him out in the hall before he went in to interview Oswald for the first time, and told him that Oswald lived on Beckley.
What if he made that up?

Sheriff Decker's file on the assassination, given to the Warren Commission lists the assailant's name as "Harvey Lee Oswald"

(12H51) (CE 5323) Deposition of Sheriff Decker dark brown heavy folder with a label on the outside: Harvey Lee Oswald.

When the police got to Beckley, they were asking for Harvey Lee Oswald.

see the WC testimony of Earlene Roberts April 8, 1964

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/robertse.htm

Did Fritz make up the story about an officer telling him out in the hall before he went in to interview Oswald the first time that Oswald lived on Beckley? Did he get the name Harvey Lee Oswald and that he lived on Beckley from Decker when he stopped in to see Decker on his way back from the TSBD? The other officers who were with Fritz when he went to see Decker (Sims and Boyd, I think) told the WC that they waited out in the hall and Fritz went in to talk to Decker alone. Did Decker get that information from somebody connected to military intelligence?

Steve Thomas

On 1/19/2017 at 1:45 PM, Steve Thomas said:

The significance of 3610 N. Beckley on Oswald's application for P.O. Box 6225

Greg Parker & Ed LeDoux write about Apartment "O" rented by HERBERT LEE on October 14th...
http://reopenkennedycase.forumotion.net/t214-herbert-leon-lee?highlight=herbert+leon+lee  

As one looks, one finds that many of the addresses used by the Oswald's over the years no longer exists...

Possibly, before the freeways, there was a 3610 N Beckley...  but it truly does not appear so...  the Street #'s end at 2900...

more importantly - as linked to above - is that HERBERT LEE worked at TRINITY FLOORING at 1912 N Beckley... a 4min busride up the street or a 15 min walk...

849391100_HerbertLEEwasHLEEat1026BeckleyinroomOafterOct15.thumb.jpg.22b295065e6a70d98f2220fcb01e8381.jpg

734058010_3610NBeckley-addressOswaldusedonPOBoxapplication.thumb.jpg.8b44f2527827e39ef5c4f330fb79a61c.jpg

On 11/22/2004 at 1:35 PM, Steve Thomas said:

Fritz, Sims, Boyd, and Decker all speak of a curious little encounter just after Fritz emerges from the TSBD. They have found the rifle and learned that Oswald lives in Irving. Fritz is all hot to trot. He's determined to go charging off to Irving taking Sims and Boyd with him. Just as he's about to head off, Decker sends word that he wants to talk to Fritz just a minute. What was the subject of that little conversation? None of them are asked by the WC, and none of them volunteer.

Whatever it was, all of a sudden Fritz changes his mind, heads into the office, keeps Sims and Boyd with him, and sends other police officers to check out Irving.

In his Deposition of April 16, 1964, Sheriff Decker presented the Commission with a dark brown heavy folder with a label marked on the outside: Harvey Lee Oswald.

(12H51) (Decker Exhibit# 5323)

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=7795#relPageId=61&tab=page

WC testimony of Earlene Roberts April 8, 1964

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/robertse.htm

Mr. BALL. Do you remember the day the President was shot?
Mrs. ROBERTS. Yes; I remember it---who would forget that?
Mr. BALL. And the police officers came out there?
Mrs. ROBERTS. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. Do you remember what they said?
Mrs. ROBERTS. Well, it was Will Fritz' men---it was plainclothesmen and I was at the back doing something and Mr. Johnson answered the door and they identified themselves and then he called me.
Mr. BALL. What did they say?
Mrs. ROBERTS. Well, they asked him if there was a Harvey Lee Oswald there.

And again...

Mr. BALL. And you didn't have that name you didn't ever know his name was Lee Oswald?
Mrs. ROBERTS. No---he registered as O. H. Lee and they were asking for Harvey Lee Oswald.

WC testimony of Arthur Clark Johnson (owner of 1026 N. Beckley)

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/johnso_a.htm

Mr. BELIN. Now, what did Mrs. Roberts say about this man having been at the home earlier that day--this O. H. Lee, which they had identified as Harvey Oswald?

Fritz told the WC that "an officer" whose name he couldn't remember stopped him out in the hall before he went in to interview Oswald for the first time, and told him that Oswald lived on Beckley.
What if he made that up?

Sheriff Decker's file on the assassination, given to the Warren Commission lists the assailant's name as "Harvey Lee Oswald"

(12H51) (CE 5323) Deposition of Sheriff Decker dark brown heavy folder with a label on the outside: Harvey Lee Oswald.

When the police got to Beckley, they were asking for Harvey Lee Oswald.

Fritz, Sims, Boyd, and Decker all speak of a curious little encounter just after Fritz emerges from the TSBD. They have found the rifle and learned that Oswald lives in Irving. Fritz is all hot to trot. He's determined to go charging off to Irving taking Sims and Boyd with him.

Fritz told the Warren Commission,

Mr. BALL. How long did you stay at the Texas School Book Depository after you found the rifle?
Mr. FRITZ. After he told me about this man almost, I left immediately after he told me that.
Mr. BALL. You left almost immediately after he told you that?
Mr. FRITZ. Almost after he told me that man, I felt it important to hold that man.
Mr. BALL. Did you give descriptions to Sims and Boyd?
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir; I told them to drive me to city hall and see if the man had a criminal record and we picked up two other officers and my intentions were to go to the house at Irving.”

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/fritz1.htm

Just as he's about to head off, Decker sends word that he wants to talk to Fritz just a minute. What was the subject of that little conversation? None of them are asked by the WC, and none of them volunteer.

In his WC testimony, Richard Sims told the Commission that he waited out in the hall while Fritz went in to talk to Decker.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/sims.htm

Mr. SIMS. Captain Fritz went over and talked to Sheriff Decker. He sent word he wanted to talk to Captain Fritz, so we talked to the sheriff and then we went to the city hall.
Mr. BALL. Where was Decker when he said he wanted to talk to Fritz?
Mr. SIMS. Well, I didn't go inside the sheriff's office--I stayed out in the corridor there.”

Whatever it was, all of a sudden Fritz changes his mind, heads into the office, keeps Sims and Boyd with him, and sends other police officers to check out Irving.

WC testimony of Elmer Boyd

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/boyd.htm

Mr. BALL. Did you go to Decker's office with Fritz?
Mr. BOYD. Yes sir.
Mr. BALL. And then you went with Fritz up to your office?
Mr. BOYD. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. And did Fritz send somebody else out to Irving, or do you remember?
Mr. BOYD. I think later on, I believe, he sent someone else out there.
Mr. BALL. He told you to stay there at the police department, did he?
Mr. BOYD. Yes, sir.

Did Fritz make up the story about an officer telling him out in the hall before he went in to interview Oswald the first time that Oswald lived on Beckley in an effort to cover up where he really fot that information? Did he get the name Harvey Lee Oswald and that he lived on Beckley from Decker when he stopped in to see Decker on his way back from the TSBD? The other officers who were with Fritz when he went to see Decker (Sims and Boyd, I think) told the WC that they waited out in the hall and Fritz went in to talk to Decker alone. Did Decker get that information from somebody connected to military intelligence?

Steve Thomas

Steve...

What do you make of the repeated mention of the " mother-in-law" apartment behind 1026 N Beckley used now for the Oswald tours but then... it was said there were "meetings" at this location which app[ears to be completely off the grid...

They had up to 17 renters at a time (Johnson Testimony)... the way he speaks it is certainly hard to conclude our little Oswald was not there for at least some extended period of time...  didn't Ozzie call Marina every day? 

Mr. BELIN. You said that you heard him talk in a foreign language. About how often would he make these calls?
Mr. JOHNSON. Most every evening after work.

Mr. LIEBELER - Do you remember how many times Oswald called Marina on Monday?
Mrs. PAINE - Well, he called nearly every evening while he was working during the week--he usually called around 5:30, just to talk.

How would that be something made up?

ZILLOW LISTING for 1026 N Beckley:

PARKING
Parking: Attached Garage, Detached Garage, 4 spaces, 880 sqft garage
UTILITIES
Green Energy
Great solar potential
Sun Number™:
OTHER
Mother-in-Law Apartment

1327882439_1026NBeckleyhasanapartmentinback.thumb.jpg.217376c2c5614916061865d8bf67b2fe.jpg

• 4 months later...