The Education Forum

Stringfellow cable

Steve Thomas

5 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Thomas,

As far as Duran and Ascue, yeah, I really haven't read into that very much, so I didn't know how they described the "Oswald" they dealt with.

Positing the "quasi-identity", Yeah, I was toying with the idea that the 5'10" 165 lb guy was being used to set up LHO, but in turn, he was being used as the fall guy for the assassination. Sort of a double blind if you will. Like I said, my logic could be way off, and that's okay.  But how could the physical description be so way off? 131 lbs is a runty little guy.

No, I haven't read Bill's State Secrets. I have a lot to learn.

Steve Thomas

PS: I was reading some of Weisberg's stuff the other day, and he said that he believed that LHO was sent down to Mexico to investigate a drug deal that Tippitt and Rose Cheramie were involved in. Can't say I ever heard that one before.

"No, I haven't read Bill's State Secrets. I have a lot to learn."

Dear Steve, as my Mother used to say, "A word to the wise is sufficient."

'Nuff said.

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Steve, Tommy really covered this already but my suggestion is to take a close look at the CIA cables out of MC which were copied to various different groups including military groups in different versions.  Bill Simpich covers all that in his book and of course the cables are available to us now and show the distributions.  Tommy described the issue of the mole hunt which was likely something in and of itself but I think the point in relation to this question is whether any group in Texas, either military or police would have been copied with the description you are seeking and of course on Harvey Lee.

From that point its a matter of a real close look at time frames to see how quickly, if the info was in Dallas, it could have gotten to DPD in time for your original reference to Lumpkin and Truly.  Good luck with the chase..

Wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out that Army Intel agent James W. Powell was the mysto man who claimed to have seen a 5'10, 165 lb. suspect running away from the back of the TSBD, and reported same to DPD Inspector O. Herbert Sawyer?

Edited by Thomas Graves

3 hours ago, Thomas Graves said:

Dear Paul,

Believe it or not I'm not an expert yet on all of this, and answering complicated questions like this is quite time-consuming for me.  All I can suggest to you is that you google "state secret" (in quotation marks) and read it thoroughly, especially the parts including footnotes regarding Bright's possible connections to Angleton, Phillips, Scott, etc.

PS --  In the context of what we've been talking about, Bill Bright's SR/CE colleague, Will Potocki, and Will's CIA-employed (under Bill Harvey) wife, Anita Potocki, are worth a good "look," too.

Bright is mentioned 27 times in this chapter, and the Potockis are mentioned 19 times altogether.

https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/State_Secret_Chapter2.html

Enjoy!

edited and bumped

Edited by Thomas Graves

On 2/17/2017 at 0:09 PM, Paul Brancato said:

Yes it is fair. Is it, as Mr. Graves keeps asking, the Webster-like description he calls Popov's mole? And is that a clue as to its author or authors? 

Dear Paul,

The Webster-like description falsely attributed to LHO by FBI special agent John Fain in early 1960 was not that of "Popov's Mole," but was used in a CIA "marked card" operation in an attempt to catch the putative "mole" inside U.S. Intelligence who had supposedly leaked information about Popov to the Ruskies, which supposed information led to the arrest of Popov, by the Ruskies, in Moscow one day before LHO arrived there, himself.

Capisce ?

Edited by Thomas Graves

On 2/18/2017 at 1:12 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Larry,

I have not researched the following question, so I'm just asking; but didn't Sylvia Duran talk about interviewing a blond-headed LHO down in Mexico City? Did she provide a height and weight description too?

I've never really looked into the cables coming out of Mexico City, so maybe someone else who has researched this can chime in. It would be interesting to learn if the Harvey Lee Oswald was described as 5'10" weighing 165 lbs.

Greg Parker pointed out to me that the FBI reports coming out of New Orleans in August, '63 were describing LHO as 5'9" weighing 140 lbs and having "light-brown" hair.

As far as the door stop, Thomas Kelley wrote in his Oswald interrogation report of November 24th that's in Appendix XI of the WR, that Oswald supposedly said that he had been stopped at the front door by a policeman and his (Oswald's) boss. Since I seriously doubt that Oswald talked to one of his fellow employees after he left the TSBD, there is no way he could have known about a policeman and Truly being together at the front door unless he had actually seen them there. Which means that he didn't "immediately flee the scene" as we've been led to believe. If you believe Lumpkin, he wrote in his after-action report, that he posted Lt. Kaminski at the front door taking names and addresses, and Truly was verifying employment, after he (Lumpkin) arrived on the scene, which wasn't until 12:49 at the earliest.

Steve Thomas

Or maybe Oswald wasn't PM after all, but was inside the lobby and was briefly stopped, while leaving, by Marion Baker as Officer Baker was rushing in?

-- Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

On 2/17/2017 at 10:02 AM, Steve Thomas said:

There have been references on several threads about a cable sent on the evening of 11/22 from Fort Sam Houston to Strike Command, McDill AFB in Florida. In the cable, reference was made, to information obtained by Detective Don Stringfellow of the Dallas Police Department. I managed to locate a copy of the cable, which you can find here:

https://archive.org/details/nsia-ArmyIntelligenceJFK

I think this is in the Weisberg collection.

Dallas Morning News March 19, 1978. This si also from Weisberg's Collection

"Army Apparently Didn't Tell Commission of Oswald's Alias"

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/F Disk/FBI/FBI Records Release 12-7-77 News Accounts/Item 069.pdf

Officer Bill Biggio was directing police intelligence communications at the Fair Grounds office the day of the assassination. 

He was working alongside Stringfellow that day.

Col. Roy Pate, in command of the 112th in Dallas said the information in the cable quoting Stringfellow "did not originate in Dallas".

Interesting.

Steve Thomas

On 2/17/2017 at 10:02 AM, Steve Thomas said:

There have been references on several threads about a cable sent on the evening of 11/22 from Fort Sam Houston to Strike Command, McDill AFB in Florida. In the cable, reference was made, to information obtained by Detective Don Stringfellow of the Dallas Police Department. I managed to locate a copy of the cable, which you can find here:

https://archive.org/details/nsia-ArmyIntelligenceJFK

I think this is in the Weisberg collection.

If you can't pull it up, let me know.

Before I leave this, I'm sort of thunderstruck by the possibility that the police were looking for the wrong guy - or least a different guy!

1) Note the reference in the cable to Harvey Lee Oswald

2) Earlene Roberts told the WC that when the police came to 1026 N. Beckley, they were trying to find a guy named Harvey Lee Oswald

3) The list of TSBD employees prepared for Gannaway by Westphal and Parks thru Revill on Friday afternoon listed Harvey Lee Oswald at 305 Elsbeth

3) In the cable referenced above, Harvey Lee Oswald was described as 5'10" tall, 165 lbs, with blue eyes

4) The initial description broadcast over the DPD radio was for a suspect 5"10" tall weighing 165 lbs and nobody knows where that description came from

5) I once posed the question, "How did the police first learn of the 1026 N. Beckley address?". Fritz told the WC that some officer (whose name he couldn't remember) stopped him out in the hall before he went in to talk to LHO for the first time, and told him that Oswald lived on Beckley. My conclusion then, was the information came from source in military intelligence.

Others have come to the same conclusion.

http://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php?topic=8636.0;wap2

I don't know what this all means. What I am thinking right now is that members of the U.S. Army Reserves (in some capacity, whether it was Crichton's mythical 488th or not) had put together a dossier of a blue-eyed, 5'10" 165 lb Harvey Lee Oswald that they handed over to the Dallas Police Department, They told the police, "This is the guy you're looking for. He lives over on Beckley"

Steve Thomas

112th IINTELLIGENCE CORPS GROUP

SPOT REPORT (REGION II)

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/A%20Disk/Army%20Intelligence%20112th%20INTC%20San%20Antonio/Item%2007.pdf

Date Sent: 22 Nov 63

Time Sent: 17:30 hrs

1. INTC, Region II, Dallas, Texas

2. Spot Report No. 417

3. Subject: Lee Harvey Oswald

4. Reference to Previous Reports: Spot Report No. 415

5. Time, Date, and Place: 17:15 hrs., 22 Nov, 1963, Dallas

6. Personnel, Organization, or Installation Involved: SUBJECT and Dallas Police

7. Summary:

Assistant Chief, Don Stringfellow, Intelligence Section, Dallas Police Dept., notified Region II that Oswald had confessed to the shooting of President Kennedy and Police Officer Tippitt. The only additional information they obtained from Oswald at this time is that he defected to Cuba in 1959, and that he is a card carrying member of the Communist Party.

Chief Lumpkin of the Dallas Police Dept. requested Region II assist them in obtaining a Russian linguist. (Chief Lumpkin did not say that SUBJECT'S wife was in custody of police, but it is known that SUBJECT is married to a Russian girl). Through Reserve Officer contacts of Region II, a Russian linguist was obtained. The linguist is _________, an employee of an oil company in Dallas. It is not known if _________ is presently at Dallas Police Station.

No record files Hq 112th INTC Group of Mamantov.

1. Source of Information: Stringfellow

12. Time and Date Information Received by Reporting Agency: 17:05 hrs, 22 Nov 63

Spot Report No. 419 on this pdf file cited above was

Sent by: Lt. Green

Received by:Maj. Gippo

a) According to information sent by Stringfellow, at 17:05 hrs, Oswald confessed to these shootings.

B) Lumpkin reached out to INTC for help in obtaining a Russian translator.

c) Mamontov was obtained through Reserved Officer contacts of INTC personnel in Dallas.

d) Has anyone ever seen Spot Report No. 415 ?

Steve Thomas