The Education Forum

What do The Fonz and Bikinis have in common with the JFKA?

10 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Wait!  What about Veciana's roommate?

I am not recalling a roommate, David.

****edit, I see what you are talking about. I’ll try to find the rest of that document.

Edited by Michael Clark

On 7/1/2019 at 6:06 PM, Michael Clark said:

Hint #2. Harper Lee

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/mocking/symbols/

“The title of To Kill a Mockingbird has very little literal connection to the plot, but it carries a great deal of symbolic weight in the book. In this story of innocents destroyed by evil, the “mockingbird” comes to represent the idea of innocence. Thus, to kill a mockingbird is to destroy innocence.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird is a novel by Harper Lee published in 1960. Instantly successful, widely read in high schools and middle schools in the United States, it has become a classic of modern American literature, winning the Pulitzer Prize.

———————————————-

To be sure, I am not buying significance of the title, “To Kill a Mockingbird”, as offered in the explanations for its meaning that I have found. Also, literary criticism is far from unanimous as to the literary quality of that work. For my purposes (and I can’t say “IMHO”, because I have not read it) it’s title, and manufactured fame, lie in it’s utility.

Edited by Michael Clark

1 hour ago, Michael Clark said:

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/mocking/symbols/

“The title of To Kill a Mockingbird has very little literal connection to the plot, but it carries a great deal of symbolic weight in the book. In this story of innocents destroyed by evil, the “mockingbird” comes to represent the idea of innocence. Thus, to kill a mockingbird is to destroy innocence.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird is a novel by Harper Lee published in 1960. Instantly successful, widely read in high schools and middle schools in the United States, it has become a classic of modern American literature, winning the Pulitzer Prize.

———————————————-

To be sure, I am not buying significance of the title, “To Kill a Mockingbird”, as offered in the explanations for its meaning that I have found. Also, literary criticism is far from unanimous as to the literary quality of that work. For my purposes (and I can’t say “IMHO”, because I have not read it) it’s title, and manufactured fame, lie in it’s utility.

No, TKAM is a good book and an enduring mythos of justice and innocence lost.  Sullied, however, by the racism imputed to Lee's other,  posthumously published novel, and by the business of Lee having been too timid to attempt another work that might not have met TKAM's standard. 

"It's a fine book that should be taken out of the hands of children and junior high school English teachers, who invariably spoil everything."  -- Mark Twain.

Edited by David Andrews

25 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

No, TKAM is a good book and an enduring mythos of justice and innocence lost.  Sullied, however, by the racism imputed to Lee's other,  posthumously published novel, and by the business of Lee having been too timid to attempt another work that might not have met TKAM's standard. 

"It's a fine book that should be taken out of the hands of children and junior high school English teachers, who invariably spoil everything."  -- Mark Twain.

Please don’t lose me here, David, on a non-critical, non-analysis, of a book that I have never read.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:15 PM, David Andrews said:

I'm not judging.  I'm going to croak before reading a lot that I wanted, and a lot that I should have read before I might aspire to become a snob.

Before moving on I acknowledge the unfortunate circumstance of having put-off David. It was only marginally important for me to make the observation that I did. I can say that my observation was researched and the comment on the quality of TKAM was made by true literary critics; whom, I will add, never disparaged the the importance of that work.To be sure, I was simply sharing observations made by others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaeton_Fonzi

In 1972, having helped Philadelphia to its first National Magazine Award, Fonzi left Philadelphia and moved to Miami, where he worked on Miami Monthly and Gold Coast magazines.

In 1975, he was hired by Senator Richard Schweiker as a researcher for the Church Committee into the activities of US intelligence agencies, and in 1977 he was hired as a researcher for the House of Representatives Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA). According to The New York Times, Fonzi was recruited as an investigator for the HSCA "mainly on the strength of scathing magazine critiques he had written about the Warren Commission and its conclusion that Lee Harvey Oswald had acted alone in killing the president in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963."

Edited by Michael Clark