The Education Forum

Help with unresolved small leads 1963-1978

Jason Ward

I was motivated by the recent document dump from the National Archives to read through as much as I can.  This frequently lead me back to earlier documents from the HSCA or WC or elsewhere as I tried to resolve leads that were potentially unpursued.    Even with the internet, I think we still have some issues around duplicated effort and of course people like me don’t even pretend to have the encyclopedic knowledge such that I know immediately what was already investigated and what may still be left out there to pursue.  If you know anything about the following items, please reply; I’m especially interested to hear if the incident was investigated and found meaningless, or really any comments you have.

1.     MARION HAYS: she gives a statement to the FBI on 12-1-63.   She is a Bell Telephone operator in Atlanta and reports placing calls from an unidentified motel room caller to New Orleans and Dallas.  At first they tried information to find the number for Lee Harvey Oswald.  This failed in both cities.  Then the caller gave her a number to try, which did succeed in finding Oswald on the second attempt.   Later, this same caller attempted to rich JACK RUBENSTEIN in Dallas; again calling information for the number, finding no success, but, finally, the caller gives MARION a number for Jack’s sister, which is successfully completed.  This all happened on a Sunday evening 2 weeks prior to the assassination.  (there are several telephone operator incidents like this – did anything ever come of them?) see Item 4.

2.     MARY ODOM is pulled over by a cop in Ardmore Oklahoma because she’s driving back and forth with no apparent destination.   Mary is somewhat upset and tells the cop she came from a party this evening where the plans to kill Kennedy are discussed.   This is the late evening of November 21 through the early pre-dawn morning of November 22.The cop files a report, it’s forgotten, later no record of the report is found.

3.     The day of the assassination US Treasury bank examiner SHENKNER advised the FBI that a few days previously a parking attendant at the Adolphus Hotel (near the Carousel) had told them something like: a man is going to kill Kennedy, he’s a communist, and lived in Russia.   The FBI interviews Adolphus employees and concludes SHENKNER was drunk.

4.     The day of the Assassination a Southwestern Bell operator placed a call for a woman in Irving to a number in North Richland Hills (Ft. Worth)… hears the woman say, “Will lee get the bonus loot?” as the man in Ft Worth answers, “Why are you calling me, and don’t mention my name on the phone.  Kennedy has to be dead to get the bonus”  Woman: “He is dead, they just announced it on the radio”.

5.     WILLIAM CLIFFORD ANDERSON, 22, gives a statement to the Dallas Sheriff on November 25th.  He is renting a room at a house which also has a guest cottage in the back for rent.  A pair of men rent the cottage for a week starting the Sunday before the assassination.  On the late evening of November 22nd or during the pre-dawn hours of the 23rd, the two men come home and ANDERSON hears one say, “Well, it’s over.”  The other man replies, “Keep quiet, that guy is probably still awake.”  The two men disappeared, and the landlady invites ANDERSON to look around the cottage.  He finds 3 30 – 30 shells and a photograph taken at Guthries (which is formerly a Ruby bar and at this time still run by a Ruby associate).   One of the men gave the name D.H. McFadin and he is in one of the pictures ANDERSON finds.   He brings the shells and pictures to the sheriff…I assume never to be heard from again???

6.     THOMAS L. THOMSON writes a letter to the HSCA on September 19, 1978, I think from prison in Chino, CA.  He says that in May of 1963 he worked at General Dynamics Convair Division in Fort Worth.   THOMSON says that a co-worker named JAMES THOMAS talks of a friend in 1963, an ex-marine who had defected to Russia, returned, and was working in something to do with a Dallas School book store/warehouse/libray.  THOMSON says THOMAS mentions the name OSWALD.   THOMSON writes because he is puzzled after reading the Warren Report which states that Oswald wasn’t hired until October 1963 at TSBD, even though THOMAS mentioned something about Oswald and Bookxxxx  in the Spring of 1963.

7.     On November 26, 1963 the Spanish interpreter of DPD is transferred a call from a Spanish speaking middle aged lady who describes herself as a maid for a wealthy family.  The maid is trying to tell the police to investigate with diligence as OSWALD has been to meetings in the house she works at and there are many people working with him, both here and from far away.  The woman never calls back, no name is given.

Any comments?   Anything ring a bill?  Are these long resolved or still just of unknown significance?

Jason

Edited by Jason Ward

4 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

Even with the internet, I think we still have some issues around duplicated effort and of course people like me don’t even pretend to have the encyclopedic knowledge such that I know immediately what was already investigated and what may still be left out there to pursue.  If you know anything about the following items, please reply; I’m especially interested to hear if the incident was investigated and found meaningless, or really any comments you have.

Jason,

You might be interested in the thread entitled, "Erasing the past to protect a fairytale" by Arjan Hut in the JFK Assassination Forum here: https://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php/topic,12623.0.html?PHPSESSID=da10693a75f6fceb0ce372badd010bff

I personally have found his work very eye opening.

Steve Thomas

10 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Jason,

You might be interested in the thread entitled, "Erasing the past to protect a fairytale" by Arjan Hut in the JFK Assassination Forum here: https://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php/topic,12623.0.html?PHPSESSID=da10693a75f6fceb0ce372badd010bff

I personally have found his work very eye opening.

Steve Thomas

Thanks, Steve, I'll take a look.