The Education Forum

Ken Burns' Vietnam

Martin Blank

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much Chris, Jim and Len.  I was literally just about to post (while I had the one link below up and handy) that I didn't see a place to search on the Black Op's Radio site (wish I had more time to spend there!) and a google search of just "Nixon in Vietnam 1967" comes back as no results found.  I did stumble across this article which shows a picture of Nixion in Vietnam in 1967 with Lt. Gen. Lewis W Walt, though the article subject is Nixon at the Bohemian Club in 67.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/opinion/the-day-nixon-began-his-comeback.html

What the heck was Nixon doing in Vietnam, apparently influencing U S policy, when he officially had no role in the Government at the time?  This is some deep doo doo that doesn't seem to be well known.  Any explanation by anyone ever on why he was there then or in 1964?

Ken Burns, PBS, are you listening?

Thanks again gentlemen.

That is a very good question Ron.

I am almost done with my Part 3 review of Burns-Novick.  Should post tomorrow.

I will then start on the Nixon years.  And this is a question I will pose about it.

What was private attorney Tricky DIck doing in Vietnam at those times?  And why has hardly anyone heard about it?

1 hour ago, Sandy Larsen said:

OMG this is fascinating. Nixon being in Vietnam. I wonder if both he and Bush were CIA early in their careers.

Nixon was never CIA per se.  But his Patron into National politics was Prescott Bush.  His career was supported, funded, directed by the Bushes, Dulles and their associates.  See Russ Baker's Family of Secrets.  Quite likely someone from this Nexus suggested he go to Vietnam in 64 and 67.  But, supposition on my part, no proof.  Kind of damning that he was there in the year before his sabotage of the peace talks to ensure his election in 68 though.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Richard+Nixon+Prescott+Bush+picture+&form=PRUSEN&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=8d6ff3c95b8540d0af75738e2fb60f56&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=richard+nixon+prescott+bush+picture+&sc=0-36&qs=n&sk=&cvid=8d6ff3c95b8540d0af75738e2fb60f56 

14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

That is a very good question Ron.

I am almost done with my Part 3 review of Burns-Novick.  Should post tomorrow.

I will then start on the Nixon years.  And this is a question I will pose about it.

What was private attorney Tricky DIck doing in Vietnam at those times?  And why has hardly anyone heard about it?

SECRET NIXON VIETNAM TRIP REPORTED

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/02/17/world/secret-nixon-vietnam-trip-reported.html

From Hougan's article, referring to the NY Times article aka cover story:

That Nixon traveled to Vietnam in 1964 is a matter of fact. He departed the United States in late March on a round-the-world trip that took him, first, to Beirut, and then to Karachi, Calcutta, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, and Saigon. There, he dined with the American Ambassador, Henry Cabot Lodge, who had been his running mate in the 1960 Presidential race. In the days that followed, Nixon helicoptered into the countryside, [8] and then continued on to Hong Kong, Manila, Taiwan, and Tokyo before returning home. [9] Nixon later wrote that the purpose of the trip was to meet with Mudge, Rose clients and foreign leaders. Contemporary reports make it obvious, however, that the real purpose of the trip was to drum up international support for what was about to become America's massive intervention in Vietnam. [10]
        There is nothing in the Times' account to suggest that the exchange of gold on April 3 was in any way relevant to the impending escalation of the war, but the possibility is an intriguing one. The Times' article is anything but conclusive. On the contrary, it simply parrots the cover story that Sergeant Kimmons had been given, while at the same time neglecting to identify the mission's middleman, the so-called “Father Wa.”

Looks like the Nixon, Lodge, Lansdale connection was a strong one and for a good amount of time going back into the 50's.

Most certainly.

Nixon had to have known Lansdale way back in the mid fifties because of his CIA assignment to bolster the new star of South Vietnam with that phony scare that sent a half million Catholics south, and then Lansdale's role in rigging the plebiscite that made Diem dictator. Which Nixon favored.  In fact, Nixon backed Diem until the end.  In his terrible book No More Vietnams  he was still praising Diem.  When in fact, because of Nhu's raids on the pagodas, Diem's government was going to collapse anyway.  

As I noted in my review, the  Burns/Novick pastiche does not mention Lansdale.  So the viewers do not know his or the CIA's role in those key steps. The fact that Lansadle was back in Vietnam under LBJ, and Nixon was there should tell us a lot.  Nixon was absolutely fruity about Vietnam.

23 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

From Hougan's article, referring to the NY Times article aka cover story:

That Nixon traveled to Vietnam in 1964 is a matter of fact. He departed the United States in late March on a round-the-world trip that took him, first, to Beirut, and then to Karachi, Calcutta, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, and Saigon. There, he dined with the American Ambassador, Henry Cabot Lodge, who had been his running mate in the 1960 Presidential race. In the days that followed, Nixon helicoptered into the countryside, [8] and then continued on to Hong Kong, Manila, Taiwan, and Tokyo before returning home. [9] Nixon later wrote that the purpose of the trip was to meet with Mudge, Rose clients and foreign leaders. Contemporary reports make it obvious, however, that the real purpose of the trip was to drum up international support for what was about to become America's massive intervention in Vietnam. [10]
        There is nothing in the Times' account to suggest that the exchange of gold on April 3 was in any way relevant to the impending escalation of the war, but the possibility is an intriguing one. The Times' article is anything but conclusive. On the contrary, it simply parrots the cover story that Sergeant Kimmons had been given, while at the same time neglecting to identify the mission's middleman, the so-called “Father Wa.”

I've looked using multiple combinations of relevant words and not found what I read in another article a few days ago which I should have physically noted.  Father Wa was further identified, with CIA affiliation.  And, it speculated the five guys coming out of the jungle to meet the chopper with him for the gold exchange were CIA operatives.  

11 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Looks like the Nixon, Lodge, Lansdale connection was a strong one and for a good amount of time going back into the 50's.

Going back to the50's if you throw in Secretary of State John Foster Dulles and his Director of the CIA brother Allan along with Connecticut Senator Prescott Bush (1952-Nineteen Sixty Three???), it really does get deep.  Boots, hip waders won't do.  Chest waders may not suffice.

Edited by Ron Bulman

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, Chris Newton said:

Ron, from Len O & Jim D:

lansdale_1.jpg

lansdale_2.jpg

lansdale_3.jpg

This still just floors me.  How naïve I've been all my life.  Unknowing about the Truth in History.  Bless this site, those who contributed to it's existence and all the rest of whom have contributed to the pursuit of the Truth on it.  Maybe someday my children or grandchildren will learn from it all.  Maybe someday a Official Historian from Harvard or Yale will acknowledge reality, ha.  Or the msm, nty/wapo will rebel, ha,ha!  

We have two pictures of Nixon in  Vietnam in 67 in no official capacity the year before he sabotages the 1968 Peace Talks to prolong the War to ensure his election.

Given his overall stature in History, how much more does History need to suspect he had nefarious objectives in this situation?