The Education Forum

Fritz supplied the ammonia

Steve Thomas

Mr. FRITZ. That first showup was for a lady who was an eye witness and we were trying to get that showup as soon as we could because she was beginning to faint and getting sick.
In fact, I had to leave the office and carry some ammonia across the hall, they were about to send her to the hospital or something and we needed that identification real quickly, and she got to feeling all right after using this ammonia.

What? He kept some in his desk drawer?

He could find some ammonia right quick, but tape recorders? fuggeddaboutit.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

Mr. FRITZ. That first showup was for a lady who was an eye witness and we were trying to get that showup as soon as we could because she was beginning to faint and getting sick.
In fact, I had to leave the office and carry some ammonia across the hall, they were about to send her to the hospital or something and we needed that identification real quickly, and she got to feeling all right after using this ammonia.

What? He kept some in his desk drawer?

He could find some ammonia right quick, but tape recorders? fuggeddaboutit.

Steve Thomas

Yup. Those tape recorders were only fer them fancy city slicker type homicide captains.

Good ole country boy Will Fritz had his own way of interviewin suspects and didn't need one. Didn't need a notary present either.

Even though he had "the most important criminal suspect in America's history" in his custody.

"This case is cinched!"

Edited by Joe Bauer

Mr. BALL. Was there any conversation you heard that this rifle was a Mauser? 
Mr. FRITZ. I heard all kinds of reports about that rifle. They called it most everything. 

"they called it most everything" ???  Really?  So you are saying it was called a "Mauser?"

Mr. BALL. Did you hear any conversation right there that day? 
Mr. FRITZ. Right at that time? 

You know, what Seymour Weitzman called it right in front of you?

Mr. BALL. Yes 

Mr. FRITZ. I just wouldn't be sure because there were so many people talking at the same time, I might have; I am not sure whether I did or not. 
Mr. BALL. Did you think it was a Mauser? 
Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; I knew--you can read on the rifle what it was and you could also see on the cartridge what caliber it was. 
Mr. BALL. Well, did you ever make any---did you ever say that it was a 7.65 Mauser? 
Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; I am sure I did not. 
Mr. BALL. Or did you think it was such a thing? 
Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; I did not. If I did, the Mauser part, I won't be too positive about Mauser because I am not too sure about Mauser rifles myself. But I am certainly sure that I never did give anyone any different caliber than the one that shows on the cartridges.

How we wish Fritz would've given these answers to a real attorney in a real trial of Lee Harvey Oswald.

33 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

How we wish Fritz would've given these answers to a real attorney in a real trial of Lee Harvey Oswald.

Which absolutely could not be allowed to happen and is why Oswald had to be killed real quick.

7 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Mr. BALL. Well, did you ever make any---did you ever say that it was a 7.65 Mauser? 
Mr. BALL. Or did you think it was such a thing? 
Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; I did not.

Mr. BALL - Who referred to it as a Mauser that day?
Mr. BOONE - I believe Captain Fritz. He had knelt down there to look at it, and before he removed it, not knowing what it was, he said that is what it looks like.

Steve Thomas

"Mr. FRITZ. I just wouldn't be sure because there were so many people talking at the same time, I might have; I am not sure whether I did or not. 
Mr. BALL. Did you think it was a Mauser? 
Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; I knew--you can read on the rifle what it was and you could also see on the cartridge what caliber it was. 

He "knew it was Mauser as he could read it on the rifle and he could also see the cartridge caliber"

Yet he never said it was a 7.65 Mauser!  Keystone Kops come to mind.

The most knowledgable gun ( rifle) man in the entire police group present on the TXSBD sixth floor when the rifle was found was Constable Seymour Weitzman.

Roger Craig's statements in his "Two Men In Dallas" interview turned out to be true when Weitzman himself admitted to identifying the rifle as a Mauser right in front of everyone including Fritz.

If Fritz is correct that the ID of the rifle is right on the barrel assembly, then he totally contradicts Weitzman's excuse for misidentifying the rifle...and totally bolster's Craig's statements.

15 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Edited by Joe Bauer

Mr. FRITZ. I just wouldn't be sure because there were so many people talking at the same time, I might have; I am not sure whether I did or not. 

Old man Fritz was not sure about a lot of things just months after 11,22,1963 when questioned by the Warren Commission. His memory ability comes across as noticeably lacking.

That is just one reason to believe much younger and better recall memory Roger Craig in his recounting of being called into Fritz's inner office when Craig says he was on 11,22,1963 and what he saw and heard there, versus Fritz's flat out denial of this.