The Education Forum

EDDOWES, OSWALD AND THE EXHUMATION

I lived down the road from Rose Hill and I remember all of the fuss when they dug up the remains of a coffin in which the remains of corpse claimed to be that of Lee Harvey Oswald were entombed. I was bored by it all at the time and paid no attention, and neither was I interested in all of the many JFK assassination theories. Times change and so do circumstances and locations and now I find my sphere of interest is overlapping the events of November 22, 1963.

After reading the report by the person who carried out an inspection of the exhumed corpse, it seems that the only thing left to play with was the skull. The skull contained teeth and a small hole from a previous operation. My own father had the same operation for the same reasons. So it seems that dental records from the Marine days of LHO and the report of his hospital operation were the only things that the examiner had to work with. (I am ignoring the distraction about rings on fingers, etc.)

Recently I have begun to take an interest in both the original questions raised by Jones Harris (who is still alive and who I spoke with about a month ago), which overlap to some extent the same questions still being raised about who was standing on the steps of the DSBD.

Since others on this forum are far more knowledgeable than I am about the "Two Oswalds Theory", what is the consensus opinion regarding the examination and conclusion that was derived from the exhumation?

Chain of custody. It was one thing to exhume the grave and study a skull with teeth and a hole in it, but did anyone ever dot the 'i's and cross the 't's concerning the chain of custody that put this decomposing, over-embalmed mess of mush (corpse) that was too far gone to analysis when it was dug up?

Lee Harvey Oswald asked for a lawyer and he never got one - but Miranda was still a few years away, and it was because of cases like LHO that Miranda came before the US Supreme Court to crack down on self-appointed judge, jury and executioner style police departments like DP.

So who documented the putting of that person in the grave who had asked for a lawyer, denied one and was shot and whose teeth in a skull with a hole in it was the only thing studied?

Did anyone ever ask to see the chain of custody? 

3 hours ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

Chain of custody. It was one thing to exhume the grave and study a skull with teeth and a hole in it, but did anyone ever dot the 'i's and cross the 't's concerning the chain of custody that put this decomposing, over-embalmed mess of mush (corpse) that was too far gone to analysis when it was dug up?

Lee Harvey Oswald asked for a lawyer and he never got one - but Miranda was still a few years away, and it was because of cases like LHO that Miranda came before the US Supreme Court to crack down on self-appointed judge, jury and executioner style police departments like DP.

So who documented the putting of that person in the grave who had asked for a lawyer, denied one and was shot and whose teeth in a skull with a hole in it was the only thing studied?

Did anyone ever ask to see the chain of custody? 

He was offered a lawyer, a very good one from Texas, he refused.  He wanted a specific lawyer from New York I believe.

He asked for a New York lawyer, or a lawyer from the ACLU who attempted to make contact with Oswald and were kept at bay. He was even charged twice in very unusual circumstances. Moving on to 1968 and if he had still been alive his case would be before the US Supreme Court as Miranda v. Arizona. Anyway you look at it, Oswald as 'a person of interest' was being railroaded according to legal standards then in place.

4 hours ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

He asked for a New York lawyer, or a lawyer from the ACLU who attempted to make contact with Oswald and were kept at bay. He was even charged twice in very unusual circumstances. Moving on to 1968 and if he had still been alive his case would be before the US Supreme Court as Miranda v. Arizona. Anyway you look at it, Oswald as 'a person of interest' was being railroaded according to legal standards then in place.

I might be wrong, but did Abt try to make contact with Oswald, or was it the other way around?

I believe that it was the latter.

--  Tommy  :sun

13 hours ago, Thomas Graves said:

I might be wrong, but did Abt try to make contact with Oswald, or was it the other way around?

I believe that it was the latter.

Oswald asked for Abt or for a lawyer from ACLU. He had no legal representation and from what I can tell, he was even charged with the murder of JFK in a non-routine manner. If this had been 1968 after Miranda, then he would have had legal representation and protection and in all likelihood he would never have been murdered within the bowls of the Dallas Police Department.

12 minutes ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

Oswald asked for Abt or for a lawyer from ACLU. He had no legal representation and from what I can tell, he was even charged with the murder of JFK in a non-routine manner. If this had been 1968 after Miranda, then he would have had legal representation and protection and in all likelihood he would never have been murdered within the bowls of the Dallas Police Department.

Mervyn,

With all due respect, I believe the president of the Dallas County Bar Association offered to help him.

https://www.dallasnews.com/obituaries/obituaries/2010/04/27/H-Louis-Nichols-Dallas-3239

Edited by Thomas Graves

The whole John Abt angle is kind of interesting.  A few years ago, back in 2011, there was a three page discussion of this on this site.

Greg Parker noted that Mr. Nichols of the local Dallas Bar might not have actually talked to Oswald directly. But got his info through the police.

The other witness to the Abt connection is, of course, Ruth Paine.  She said that Oswald asked her to call Abt at his office.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

The whole John Abt angle is kind of interesting.  A few years ago, back in 2011, there was a three page discussion of this on this site.

Greg Parker noted that Mr. Nichols of the local Dallas Bar might not have actually talked to Oswald directly. But got his info through the police.

The other witness to the Abt connection is, of course, Ruth Paine.  She said that Oswald asked her to call Abt at his office.

John Abt was the chief counsel  for the CPUSA at the time(11/23/63).  So either Oswald was staying " in character"  as a commie sympathizer while in the Dallas City Jail( which seems curious given his "I'm just a patsy" comment) in trying to contact Abt or this Abt episode was a fabrication by the "Castro did it"/ Oswald's a commie" faction.  And I thought I read somewhere that John Abt , after his death, was exposed as an informant for the FBI.

Edited by Dan Doyle
grammar

1 hour ago, Thomas Graves said:

Mervyn,

With all due respect, I believe the president of the Dallas County Bar Association offered to help him.

https://www.dallasnews.com/obituaries/obituaries/2010/04/27/H-Louis-Nichols-Dallas-3239

Thank you Thomas, I was not aware of that. This is what the site you refer to says: Oswald said he wanted a New York lawyer named John Abt or a lawyer associated with the American Civil Liberties Union to represent him. Oswald also wanted a lawyer "who believes as I believe, and believes in my innocenceWhat I am interested in is knowing right now, do you want me or the Dallas Bar Association to try to get you a lawyer?" Mr. Nichols asked Oswald. "No, not right now", he replied.

So this unqualified criminal attorney made Oswald an offer because he felt pressured into doing so, and Oswald did not say he did not want the Dallas Bar Association to get him a lawyer, he said that he did not want the DBA to do that right now because he first wanted to see if John Abt would respond, and then he wanted to hear from the ACLU. Meanwhile the DPD treated the affair like a caged circus event and its 'animal' was shot on its premises on television the very next day.

Can you imagine what would happen today if a police department acted this way with regards to accused in a high profile presidential assassination case?

For Mr Nichols I see the ghost of a Roman who washed his hands.