The Education Forum

Oswald in the fall of 1963

Here's just a few notes I jotted down for myself.

Please feel free to add to them.

I think that part of JFK's rapproachement with the Cuban and Russian governments was that the Cuban exile training camps on U.S. soil had to be shut down.

April, 1963 JFK and/or Bobby Kennedy orders Cuban exile training camps on U.S. Soil shut down.

Camps in Florida (Interpen?) raided.

Commission Document 946 - SS Aragon Report of 5 May 1964 re: Sylvia Odio, Rogelio Cisneros Diaz page 3

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=11342&search=%22Juan_Martin%22#relPageId=4&tab=page

Rogelio Cisneros, a JURE member in Miami, went to Dallas alone, by plane in June, 1963 for the specific purpose of meeting Sylvia Odio who was supposed to introduce Cisneros to a Uruguayan named Juan Martin, who was interested in selling small arms to JURE.

MDC Cuban exile training camp operated by Richard Rudolph Davis in Lacombe, La. July, 1963. Oswald is supposedly seen at this camp.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=75361#relPageId=5&tab=page

Exiles were apparently ultimately headed for Guatemala.

Wasn't there a reference to another one of these MDC camps in Mississippi?

August, 1963. Oswald suspected of being an FBI informant by Carlos Bringuer, New Orleans, La.

September, 1963. Picnic at White Rock Lake in Dallas. Oswald supposedly seen at this picnic

Mr. C(astorr) : “Well I understand that Oswald was at the White Rock picnic with these Cubans. Wasn't there a picture that came out that somebody took that's somewhere in the files...?”

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/C%20Disk/Castorr%20L%20Robert%20Colonel/Item%2023.pdf page 14.

Late September, 1963 Sylvia Odio is visited by three men, one of whom she believed was Lee Harvey Oswald.

Late September and early October. Oswald may have been in Mexico City.

Was there some kind of Cuban exile gun running  effort going on there at the time?

Lee Harvey Oswald suspected as being the informant in the Miller/Whitter Terrell National Guard Armory theft case, November, 1963.

Steve Thomas

Oswald was seen going in and out of a house on Harlendale St. in Dallas. (I think the address was 3126, and he was seen at least once I believe. The source for this was Sheriff's Deputy Buddy Walthers in his after-action reports)

See: http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/html/WH_Vol19_0276b.htm

The house on Harlendale was the meeting place of an anti-Castro exile group called SNFE Alpha-66. Interviews of the members of the group said that they met at that house on a bi-weekly basis.

Steve Thomas

"According to Espinosa, McLariey· sponsored Espinosa and a few of his associates in a plan to bomb the Shell Oil refineries in Havana. In this group were Sam Benton, Carlos Hernandez ·. Sanchez, John Koch Gene, Acleo Pedrosa. Amores, Miguel Alvarez and Richard Albert Lauchli. Benton procured an airplane, Espinosa the explosives from Lauchli, and McLaney supplied the financing. (pp. 16-22) An informant within the group alerted the FBI which was waiting with Customs officials as the group rendezvoused for the mission. When this mission failed, another one was immediately put into operation. The oil refineries were again the·targets, but the plan was to leave from a deserted airstrip in the vicinity of Lake Ponchartrain, Louisiana, using either a B-25 or a B-26 bomber, fully operational."

http://documents.theblackvault.com/documents/jfk/NARA-Oct2017/NARA-Nov-2017/docid-32246513.pdf

41 minutes ago, David Boylan said:

"According to Espinosa, McLariey· sponsored Espinosa and a few of his associates in a plan to bomb the Shell Oil refineries in Havana. In this group were Sam Benton, Carlos Hernandez ·. Sanchez, John Koch Gene, Acleo Pedrosa. Amores, Miguel Alvarez and Richard Albert Lauchli. Benton procured an airplane, Espinosa the explosives from Lauchli, and McLaney supplied the financing. (pp. 16-22) An informant within the group alerted the FBI which was waiting with Customs officials as the group rendezvoused for the mission. When this mission failed, another one was immediately put into operation. The oil refineries were again the·targets, but the plan was to leave from a deserted airstrip in the vicinity of Lake Ponchartrain, Louisiana, using either a B-25 or a B-26 bomber, fully operational."

http://documents.theblackvault.com/documents/jfk/NARA-Oct2017/NARA-Nov-2017/docid-32246513.pdf

David,

Jose Antonio Echiverria.

Any relation to the Homer Echiverria of the Chicago Plot fame?

Steve Thomas

Steve - your post suggests that Oswald was an informant. I think when the Paine household was initially searched they found Oswald’s files on the anti-Castro Cubans he was tasked with monitoring. Your collected evidence may also explain why Hoover was so anxious to distance the FBI from Oswald. Wasnt it Hoover that put the kabosh on DA Wade who claimed that Oswald had an FBI informant number? Hoover also made it clear that the voice on the MC tapes was not Oswald’s. When Hoover’s declared patsy turned out to be his informant it guaranteed his cooperation in the coverup. I’m going off the top of my head here, so feel free to correct me.

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - your post suggests that Oswald was an informant. I think when the Paine household was initially searched they found Oswald’s files on the anti-Castro Cubans he was tasked with monitoring. Your collected evidence may also explain why Hoover was so anxious to distance the FBI from Oswald. Wasnt it Hoover that put the kabosh on DA Wade who claimed that Oswald had an FBI informant number? Hoover also made it clear that the voice on the MC tapes was not Oswald’s. When Hoover’s declared patsy turned out to be his informant it guaranteed his cooperation in the coverup. I’m going off the top of my head here, so feel free to correct me.

Paul you started me brainstorming (throw the spaghetti at the wall and see if any of it sticks).  Regarding those 7 little hand held metal file cabinets one of the officers confiscating them said had info on Cubans were Oswald's...  If he was monitoring for the FBI and the CIA was aware of this and possibly using him themselves (in maybe more ways than one)...  Of course Hoover would have to cover up Everything.  How does Hosty - Marina figure in?  I've thought the file cabinets were the Paine's.  Were they monitoring Oswald's work for the FBI for the CIA, among other purposes?

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Paul you started me brainstorming (throw the spaghetti at the wall and see if any of it sticks).  Regarding those 7 little hand held metal file cabinets one of the officers confiscating them said had info on Cubans were Oswald's...  If he was monitoring for the FBI and the CIA was aware of this and possibly using him themselves (in maybe more ways than one)...  Of course Hoover would have to cover up Everything.  How does Hosty - Marina figure in?  I've thought the file cabinets were the Paine's.  Were they monitoring Oswald's work for the FBI for the CIA, among other purposes?

Ron - I think I’m alone in suspecting the files belonged to Oswald. Others downplay their existence, or assume they were Ruth’s. Hosty destroyed evidence that might have shed light on Oswald’s relations with the FBI. I don’t think Marina was up to anything other than surviving and having babies. 

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Ron - I think I’m alone in suspecting the files belonged to Oswald. Others downplay their existence, or assume they were Ruth’s.

Paul,

It would have been nice to know what those "activities" were.

Buddy Walthers – Sheriff's Report.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/walther1.htm

“Upon searching this house we found stacks of hand bills concerning "Cuba for Freedom" advertising, seeking publicity and support for Cuba. Also found was a set of metal file cabinets containing records that appeared to be names and activities of Cuban sympathizers.”

WC testimony:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/walthers.htm

“We were just--not actually knowing what we were looking for, just searching, and we went into the garage there and found this--I believe it was one of these things like soap comes in, a big pasteboard barrel and it had a lot of these little leaflets in it, "Freedom for Cuba" and they were gold color with black printing on them...and then we found some little metal file cabinets---I don't know what kind you would call them---they would carry an 8 by 10 folder, all right, but with a single handle on top of it and the handle moves.
Mr. LIEBELER. About how many of them would you think there were?
Mr. WALTHERS. There were six or seven, I believe, and I put them all in the trunk of my car ”

Steve Thomas

Buddy Walthers revised testimony After Death through a medium at a séance:  "six or seven...trunk of my car".  "So I radioed in to Sherriff Decker what we'd found and he said we don't want nothing to do with that stuff.  This is the DPD's deal, take it to them.  So we took it all to Chief Curry's office and just like that, Poof, Walah, it disappeared into the black hole of eternity forever." 

5 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Buddy Walthers revised testimony After Death through a medium at a séance:  "six or seven...trunk of my car".  "So I radioed in to Sherriff Decker what we'd found and he said we don't want nothing to do with that stuff.  This is the DPD's deal, take it to them.  So we took it all to Chief Curry's office and just like that, Poof, Walah, it disappeared into the black hole of eternity forever." 

Glad you see how suspicious. If we take Walther at his initial word rather than imagine (Trejo) why he might have made this up, it supports the other evidence suggesting he was an FBI informant. Then the question becomes what was he informing on? Walthers said the names appeared to be those of Cuban sympathizers, but the only evidence we have regarding Oswald’s interactions with Cubans were of anti-Castro-ites. Hard to imagine why Walthers would make up a story about finding several metal file cases, but easy to imagine that he would slip in something about Cuban sympathizers.

Edited by Paul Brancato

4 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Glad you see how suspicious. If we take Walther at his initial word rather than imagine (Trejo) why he might have made this up, it supports the other evidence suggesting he was an FBI informant. Then the question becomes what was he informing on? Walthers said the names appeared to be those of Cuban sympathizers, but the only evidence we have regarding Oswald’s interactions with Cubans were of anti-Castro-ites. Hard to imagine why Walthers would make up a story about finding several metal file cases, but easy to imagine that he would slip in something about Cuban sympathizers.

Buddy Walthers made up the "six or seven metal filing cabinets full of the names of Castro supporters".

He just made it up.   That's the simplest explanation for the fact that they were never photographed, cataloged, counted or found -- ever.

It's another urban legend -- grist for the CT mill.

Get over it,
--Paul Trejo

13 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Buddy Walthers – Sheriff's Report.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/walther1.htm

“Upon searching this house we found stacks of hand bills concerning "Cuba for Freedom" advertising, seeking publicity and support for Cuba. Also found was a set of metal file cabinets containing records that appeared to be names and activities of Cuban sympathizers.”

Officer Buddy Walthers, Deputy Sheriff, Dallas County Sheriff's Office 11/22/63

“Sheriff Decker then ordered me, together with Deputy Harry Weatherford and Deputy J. L. Oxford to go to a house at 25115 West 5th Street in Irving, Texas...”

“I stayed with Mrs. Oswald and Mrs. Payne while the rest of the men searched the house. They found some literature on Cuban Freedom affairs and some small files...”

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/weatherf.htm

DEPUTY J. L. OXFORD, Dallas County Sheriff's Department. 11/23/63

“We also found about 7 metal boxes which contained pamphlets and literature from abroad.”

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/oxford1.htm

Steve Thomas

11 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

If we take Walther at his initial word rather than imagine (Trejo) why he might have made this up, it supports the other evidence suggesting he was an FBI informant. Then the question becomes what was he informing on? Walthers said the names appeared to be those of Cuban sympathizers, but the only evidence we have regarding Oswald’s interactions with Cubans were of anti-Castro-ites. Hard to imagine why Walthers would make up a story about finding several metal file cases, but easy to imagine that he would slip in something about Cuban sympathizers.

Paul,

Saying "Cuban sympathizers" is not the same thing as saying, "Castro supporters".

The anti-Castro exiles were Cuban sympathizers too. Perhaps those files were of anti-Castro exiles and what they were up to.

Steve Thomas

4 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Paul,

Saying "Cuban sympathizers" is not the same thing as saying, "Castro supporters".

The anti-Castro exiles were Cuban sympathizers too. Perhaps those files were of anti-Castro exiles and what they were up to.

Steve Thomas

I see your point. In any case I think they were likely files of anti-Castro exiles and their supporters.