The Education Forum

Oswald in the fall of 1963

46 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

I see your point. In any case I think they were likely files of anti-Castro exiles and their supporters. 

Paul,

If indeed Oswald attempted to insert himself into Cuban affairs, either through divine inspiration or whether he was acting as an agent for someone else (like the FBI), do you think that that decision was made before he left for New Orleans in April, or after he got there?

Steve Thomas

Did Oswald seem to you to be the type who would keep files?

Not to me.

But the Paines sure as heck do seem like that.  And recall Michael at Luby's with the SMU students, and later Ruth In Nicaragua taking notes during a meeting of the pro Sandinistas.

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Did Oswald seem to you to be the type who would keep files?

Not to me.

But the Paines sure as heck do seem like that.  And recall Michael at Luby's with the SMU students, and later Ruth In Nicaragua taking notes during a meeting of the pro Sandinistas.

Jim - Oswald did a lot of hanging around and interacting with Anti-Castro folks in New Orleans and in Dallas. He kept pretty good notes in Russia, and took himself very seriously. 

6 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Paul,

If indeed Oswald attempted to insert himself into Cuban affairs, either through divine inspiration or whether he was acting as an agent for someone else (like the FBI), do you think that that decision was made before he left for New Orleans in April, or after he got there?

Steve Thomas

I would say before, and that might be a good explanation why he went there. 

I still lean to the files belonging to the Paine's.  Once again, Ruth said in her WC testimony Oswald told her he hitch hiked from New Orleans.  Or, as others postulate he went to Mexico City, then Irving.  Either way, how did he tote six or seven little metal file cabinets around.  

Edited by Ron Bulman

5 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I still lean to the files belonging to the Paine's.  Once again, Ruth said in her WC testimony Oswald told her he hitch hiked from New Orleans.  Or, as others postulate he went to Mexico City, then Irving.  Either way, how did he tote six or seven little metal file cabinets around

Ron,

Didn't Ruth drive to New Orleans and pack up all their things (like the rifle supposedly?)  in a station wagon and move them back to Irving?

Steve Thomas

8 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I would say before, and that might be a good explanation why he went there. 

Paul,

I asked, " If indeed Oswald attempted to insert himself into Cuban affairs,... do you think that that decision was made before he left for New Orleans in April, or after he got there?

And you answered, "I would say before, and that might be a good explanation why he went there."

Do you think the Walker shooting scenario was a cover story? Or was that a coincidence that happened at the same time?

I personally think the Walker shooting was a sham staged by Walker himself to launch him into the Texas gubernatorial race, but that's just me.

It's hard for me to envision Marina being strong enough or forceful enough to convince Lee to get out of Dallas.

I think that Oswald's job at Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall ended April 6th. His work in Dallas was done. It was time to relocate him.

Steve Thomas

On

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - Like you I think the Walker story was a sham.

On the contrary, guys -- the Walther story was a sham.

17 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Ron,

Didn't Ruth drive to New Orleans and pack up all their things (like the rifle supposedly?)  in a station wagon and move them back to Irving?

Steve Thomas

I thought she circled through New Orleans on her way back from her visit to the sister in New England that she didn't know worked for the CIA (yeah).  I know it was a station wagon but 6-7 of those files would have taken up significant room.  Ruth, Marina and their kids would have taken up the seats.  Whatever suitcases Ruth took on her long trip and all the Oswald's possession's would fill the back up I'd think.  Michael and Ruth were questioned about unloading it by the WC in relation to the rifle.  Of course they didn't volunteer that they transported any file cabinets too.  All of her testimony I could find is linked in the Paine Files link I posted above.

Was the wagon "the" famous Rambler?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Q9sWqGxs&id=E7C248A2F806C30C586C7780C1075EDA8C7D2AC5&thid=OIP.Q9sWqGxsMv1yJvtGds35YgHaEU&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fcdn.barrett-jackson.com%2fstaging%2fcarlist%2fitems%2fFullsize%2fCars%2f96420%2f96420_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg&exph=583&expw=1000&q=rambler+station+wagon&simid=608002727926238093&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=86VvULs2&id=5709D30A6261D7A98BD14D988AD06EDA2D2801FA&thid=OIP.86VvULs2XrsXdAjr0ipd2gEsDH&q=retro+portable+file+cabinet&simid=608011824182593945&selectedIndex=13&qpvt=retro+portable+file+cabinet&ajaxhist=0

Edited by Ron Bulman

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I thought she circled through New Orleans on her way back from her visit to the sister in New England that she didn't know worked for the CIA (yeah).  I know it was a station wagon but 6-7 of those files would have taken up significant room.  Ruth, Marina and their kids would have taken up the seats.  Whatever suitcases Ruth took on her long trip and all the Oswald's possession's would fill the back up I'd think.  Michael and Ruth were questioned about unloading it by the WC in relation to the rifle.  Of course they didn't volunteer that they transported any file cabinets too.  All of her testimony I could find is linked in the Paine Files link I posted above.

Was the wagon "the" famous Rambler?

Ron,

This is just to help set the scenario. It looks like the City Police took Marina and the kids to City Hall. The County Sheriff's took most of the evidence and Michael Paine.

PS: As far as the Rambler?

No, it wasn't hers.

WC testimony of Richard Stovall:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/stovall.htm

“Mr. BALL. Did a Mrs. Randle come in the house also?
Mr. STOVALL. No. sir; she didn't. While we were loading this stuff into our car and into the sheriff's deputy's car, we were on the outside,...”

WC testimony of John Adamcik:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/adamcik.htm

Mr. ADAMCIK. By then we went ahead and took these people and put them in a car. I think Mrs. Oswald took both the children. Mrs. Paine got a neighbor to keep her children, and Mrs. Oswald and her two children were put in our car, the city police car, and Mrs. Paine also went with us, and Michael Paine, Mrs. Paine's husband, went with the county officer, and we proceeded to go to the city police station.

Deputy Sheriff Harry Weatherford's Report:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/weatherf.htm

“We then loaded all of our findings into our car and brought them and Mr. Michael Payne, taking him and findings to the Dallas Police Station to the Homicide Division.”

J.L. Oxford Deputy Sheriff's Report:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/oxford1.htm

“We also found about 7 metal boxes which contained pamphlets and literature from abroad. Also, there were cameras and film found. All of this was brought to the City Hall along with Mr. and Mrs. Paine and Mrs. Oswald. The children were also brought along.”

WC testimony of Guy Rose:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/rose_g.htm

“Mr. BALL. You brought Ruth Paine and Marina down to the police department, did you?
Mr. ROSE. Yes; we took Ruth Paine and Marina and Marina's two children in our car and also the blanket--I carried it.”

Steve Thomas