Jump to content
The Education Forum

Recommended Posts

Why the house?  Why did Joannides maintain a residence in New Orleans in the summer of 1963 if he lived in and worked out of JMWAVE, with David Phillips and David Morales,  in and outside Miami?

Was it a safehouse?   A place to dispense cash to the DRE?  Did Phillips/Morales/Bannister/ Ferrie/Clay Shaw-Bertrand/Oswald ever visit?  

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From a post I did back in 2005:

"Very interesting topic.

In the past I have had contact with several of the persons who have signed this letter in regards to this subject. Both Joannides and Karamessines are of unique interest to this case because in the months proceeding the assassination they were following the movements of Oswald. But their past is also of interest.

In 1948 the British, because of financial reasons, requested that the US take over operations surrounding the Greek Civil War. Joannides and Karamessines were, I understand, two of the 44 members of a US team operating in Greece at that time. Put in charge of that team, operating the Greek Desk at the Pentagon, was none other than Edwin Anderson Walker.

It seems to be a small world that was operating around this Oswald guy.

Coincidence?

Jim Root"

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim Root said:

From a post I did back in 2005:

"Very interesting topic.

In the past I have had contact with several of the persons who have signed this letter in regards to this subject. Both Joannides and Karamessines are of unique interest to this case because in the months proceeding the assassination they were following the movements of Oswald. But their past is also of interest.

In 1948 the British, because of financial reasons, requested that the US take over operations surrounding the Greek Civil War. Joannides and Karamessines were, I understand, two of the 44 members of a US team operating in Greece at that time. Put in charge of that team, operating the Greek Desk at the Pentagon, was none other than Edwin Anderson Walker.

It seems to be a small world that was operating around this Oswald guy.

Coincidence?

Jim Root"

General Walker?   In connection with Joannides and Karamessines in 1948 in Greece?

Now this is getting interesting.   Is anything  coming up for  Joannides and Karamessines in the 10/26/2017 JFK Records Act?

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, David Boylan said:

I've never read of the Newby alias, where did you see that if I may ask?

The document is very interesting (a Few more of them lately - thanks to all who are looking).   Any idea what CITUTOR means?  Surely it's not so simple as Counter Intelligence Tutor.  CITUTOR 1, CITUTOR Group, it is perplexing and confusing but did not Amspell = the DRE Oswald was attempting to infiltrate in New Orleans?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, David Boylan said:

Ron, from his fitness report. Signed Walter D. Newby. Post 2 above. Page 9. He signed his own fitness report.

Thanks.  The first time I read it I didn't notice there were 12 pages.  I read the first two, the 1979 report where he signed it George Joannides and thought that was it.  The other 10 pages  are interesting.  It took me a second reading and a little back and forth to figure out there are actually 4 reports there.  One from April 63 to March 64, signed in May 64.  One from January 63 to July 63, signed in July 63.  One from January 63 to March 63, signed on March 27, 1963. And, one from January 62 to December 63 signed in January 63.  Kind of confusing, and, why?  All are signed (typewritten) by Newby and signed "in Field or In Pseudo on Fla. Transmission".  All of these four reports from 1962-1964 have had the name at the top of the page not just scratched through or a line drawn through but blacked out and Joannidies name hand written above them.  Who did that?  Three of them have initials or a name above the change but I cant read it.

Edited by Ron Bulman
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the report from May 64 the blacked out name has what looks like part of an of or op showing at the end of it.  The one from 1/63 - 7/63 looks like the top of an o at the end of it.

The 1/63 - 3/63 report says "Annual fitness report covering the Period 1 January - 31 December 62 still current."   Typed at a 45% angle across the page.  A clear copy.  How did they get the page to go through the typewriter, in 1963, sideways?

The 62 report does have a accurate detailed description of what I've read Joannides responsibilities would have been.  E.G. case officer for student project involving political action (DRE?), propaganda, intelligence collection. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, David Boylan said:

Ron, from his fitness report. Signed Walter D. Newby. Post 2 above. Page 9. He signed his own fitness report.

David... look again, the NEWBY is only on the "signature of employee" line...

EDIT:  Sorry, didn't want to make that sound harsh...  just factual.   I've been looking too and nothing new in the release on the man...  kinda doubt there'd be much left given how sensitive his role was...

 

5a85e81b3eb59_JoannidesisWalterDNewby.jpg.e19108065e318481375fcaf063426147.jpg

Edited by David Josephs
Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit to being dense sometimes. :-) So, my reading of this is that it is a employee review of George J. He reads and signs on the Employee signature line with the name Walter D. Newby (signed in pseudo)  stating that he has read sections A,B, and C. Looks to me that this name (Newby) was crossed out at the top and George Joannides was hand written in above it. Am I wrong?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David Boylan said:

I admit to being dense sometimes. :-) So, my reading of this is that it is a employee review of George J. He reads and signs on the Employee signature line with the name Walter D. Newby (signed in pseudo)  stating that he has read sections A,B, and C. Looks to me that this name (Newby) was crossed out at the top and George Joannides was hand written in above it. Am I wrong?

I don't know...  lol

I get a bit cross-eyed too after 2000 pages...  :cheers

This is page 9...  Where is the NEWBY /s/?  It's under Employee signature on page 8 and the other pages where it says Employee Signature

Below that is page 11 which looks like all the other signature pages... I think.  

I wonder if it is strange to have an internal document which connects a person with their AKA... yet he surely had more than just one alias...

I just don't see NEWBY on this top page #9

5a85fa402c80c_Joannidesfitnessreportpage9.jpg.46025279dab77c93b59061758c8387c0.jpg

 

5a85fadd534a7_Joannidespage11.jpg.f0313c57be2a0c3c8e0bd245bbbaf45e.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I did a little more digging and found this.

 

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=23765&relPageId=3

104-10170-10027: AMSPELL STATUS

11/15/62: A secret letter from AMSPELL to AMBARB delegates was sent about this date, laying the groundwork for recalling in AMBARBs in early December due to conflict with CIA. AMHINT-53 (Luis Fernandez-Rocha) cited AMSPELL policy "against coexistence". "On 5 December 1962 Walter D. Newby (George Joannides) was introduced to AMHINT-53 and succeeded Harold D. Noemayr (Ross Crozier) as the responsible case officer for the project."

http://aarclibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/dan_hardway_aarc_9_26_14.pdf

And this - In the fall of 1962, George Joannides was hand picked by Richard Helms to replace Ross Crozier as the CIA’s DRE case officer in Miami after DRE’s public opposition to the government’s policies during the October, 1962, missile crisis. 11 Joannides reported directly to Helms. 12 Joannides’s registered pseudonym was Walter D. Newby. His supervisor was Robert K. Trouchard. Up to 90% of the DRE’s operating funds came from the CIA. 13 The ARRB managed to force the CIA to declassify a few ofJoannides’sfitnessreports. 14 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...