The Education Forum

General Walker, Lee Harvey Oswald and Dallas Officials

21 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

Police and Sheriff testimony in the Warren Commission Part 5: Dallas County Sheriff Bill Decker...

• CONCERNS:
  1. The US president has been shot and the county sheriff is not asked about this crime.
  2. Apart from investigative duties; Decker is an assassination witness.  Why is he not asked where the shots came from and other details he remembered in Dealey Plaza?
  3. Dallas County Sheriff Bill Decker is not questioned for further details around his activity at Parkland Hospital, nor the activities of his department on 22 November 1963 at the Texas Theater and Ruth Paine's house.
  4. What orders did Sheriff Bill Decker give his staff at the time of the assassination?  At the time of Oswald's pursuit?  
  5. What are the details surrounding sheriff department discovery of the weapon and shell casings?
  6. This witness was the least examined of any so far; he is allowed to simply tell his story and is asked only a few details about what arrangements were made for transferring Ruby. The death of Kennedy is completely ignored.

Jason,

I find that your analysis is 99% correct.   The 1% missing is that Sheriff Bill Decker, only seconds after the JFK Assassination, ordered his Deputies to rush to the "railroad yard"  (the parking lot behind the Grassy Knoll).   That is not in his WC testimony, but it is in the DPD radio transmission transcript of 11/22/1963.    Here is that transmission:

12:30 p.m. KKB 364.
    noise for 3 minutes, 11 seconds on this tape. Dallas 1 (Chief Jesse Curry) Go to the hospital - Parkland Hospital. Have them stand by.
  603 (ambulance) 603 out. 1 Get a man on top of that triple underpass and see what happened up there.
    noise for 34 seconds on this tape. 1 Have Parkland stand by.dpdicon.gif
  91 (Ptm. W.D. Mentzel and Ptm. J.W. Courson) 91 clear. Dallas 1 (Sheriff J.E. "Bill" Decker) I am sure it's going to take some time to get your man in there. Pull every one of my men in there.
  Dispatcher 531, testing: 1 2 3 4. Dispatcher Dallas 1, repeat, I didn't get all of it. I didn't quite understand all of it.
    Loud and clear. Dallas 1 Have my office move all available men out of my office into the railroad yard to try to determine what happened in there and hold everything secure until Homicide and other investigators should get there.
  48 (Ptm. A.D. Duncan) 48, loud and clear. Dispatcher 10-4. Dallas 1 -Station 5 will be notified.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

To summarize  my request, Jason -- may we please place these 14, plus Deputy Roger Craig, highest in the queue at this time?   If so, please place Deputy Craig next.

All best,
--Paul

Police and Sheriff testimony in the Warren Commission Part 6: Dallas County Deputy Sheriff Roger D Craig

Deputy Roger Craig, age 27:

• 4 years as a deputy sheriff, previously in the army, miscellaneous labor jobs, ran away from home age 12
  • Around noon on 22 November, Craig is standing at 505 Main near the intersection of Houston
  • Upon hearing shots, Craig rushes up the grass to the railroad tracks area, like fellow sheriff employees Boone, Mooney, Weitzman, & Walthers
  • Moved people out of the rail area
  • Craig finds a girl who thinks the shots came from the grassy knoll area; he brings her back to the sheriff's office to make a statement
  • Deputy Craig hears a boy say he saw a rifle with a scope protruding from the 6th floor of the TSBD about "15 minutes" before the president passed by; the boy thought it was a Secret Service guard
  • WC lawyer Belin suggests this "boy" is Arnold Rowland, accompanied by his wife, Barbara Rowland
  • Craig says it was about 10 minutes after the shots when he was talking to the Rowlands
  • According to Arnold Rowland, the rifle is seen at the 2nd westernmost window of the 6th floor
  • Craig suggests Rowland saw 2 men talking/walking in the 6th floor
  • The interrogation of the Rowlands is handed over to Deputy Sheriff Lemmy Lewis
  • Craig says it is 10-12 minutes after the shooting when he leaves the Rowlands with Lewis
  • Deputy Buddy Walthers or Deputy Lewis tells Craig a bullet struck the south curb of Elm St
  • Craig proceeds to the south curb of Elm St, but doesn't see evidence of a bullet strike
  • About 15 minutes after the shooting, Deputy Craig hears a whistle and sees a man run down the grassy knoll towards Elm St.
  • The unknown man jumps into a white station wagon, proceeding west on Elm under the triple overpass
  • Deputy Craig says the man jumping into the station wagon is in his 20s, 5'8" to 5'9", 140-150 pounds, brown hair
  • The unknown subject running down the grassy knoll was wearing a tan shirt and blue pants
  • The driver of the station wagon had a dark complexion; Deputy Craig though he might be African American
  • The driver of the station wagon who picked up an unknown subject in Dealey Plaza was wearing a white windbreaker, according to Craig
  • Because the station wagon had a built-in luggage rack, Deputy Craig thinks it is a Nash
  • 20 minutes after the shots, Deputy Craig now proceeds to the TSBD, which is now sealed off and guarded
  • "they" were asking for flashlights to search the building; Deputy Craig goes to the sheriff's office to get flashlights, bringing them to the 6th floor (what's going on at the 6th floor while Craig is away?   this period is essential)
  • WC lawyer Belin asks Craig why he went to the 6th floor; Craig says "someone said" that's where the shots came from
  • Craig sees empty shell casings on the floor, but was not present when they were found a "couple minutes"  previously
  • Deputy Craig sees a sack rolled or crushed up on boxes near the found shell casings
  • Deputies Mooney and Boone are also near Craig, near the shells - along with unknown DPD officers
  • Craig is asked to search the floor and starts in the northeast corner; he is about 8 feet from Deputy Boone when Boone says he found the rifle <<<who seems so sure the rifle will be found on this floor???>>>
  • Deputy Craig has "no idea" what time the rifle was found
  • DPD Captain Fritz and DCSO Deputy Mooney are hanging around the rifle, along with several other unknown officers
  • At this point, Deputy Craig remembers hearing a police officer was shot in oak Cliff
  • Craig says photos were taken of the rifle as found, then the DPD "identification man" picked up the rifle and handed it to Captain Fritz
  • Deputy Craig does not recall any information about a missing employee
  • Craig returns to the sheriff's department office and gives a statement to Rosemary Allen, along with "all the officers"
  • "information was floating around" that DPD was trying to connect the Oak Cliff shooter with the JFK assassination
  • Deputy Craig calls to meet Captain Fritz at DPD headquarters because Craig feels the unknown subject getting into the white station wagon may be connected to the crimes that day
  • Craig meets with Fritz and [Oswald]* in Fritz's office
  • Deputy Craig identifies [Oswald]* as the man he saw getting into a white station wagon shortly after the shooting
  • According to Deputy Craig, DPD Captain Fritz asks Craig "what about the station wagon?"   The suspect [Oswald]* interrupts and says "That station wagon belongs to Mrs. Paine.  Don't try to tie her into this.  She has nothing to do with it."
  • The suspect in Frtiz's office [Oswald]* admits to leaving the scene [Dealey Plaza], according to Craig
  • Deputy Craig then leaves DPD headquarters
  • Deputy Craig offers that "it came up later" that Mrs. Paine has a Nash Rambler wagon with a luggage rack on top; this information was provided by Buddy Walthers
  • Deputy Craig says he talked to no railroad workers around Dealey Plaza
  • WC attorney Belin returns the discussion to the information Deputy Craig obtained from the Rowlands
  • Deputy Craig says the Rowlands saw white men, one possibly wearing khakis, talking to each other on the 6th floor by a window; one had a rifle
  • The Rowlands saw other people on other floors of the TSBD looking out windows, according to Deputy Craig
  • Craig reiterates that the Rowlands saw two men talking on the 2nd to westernmost 6th floor window; then noticed a few minutes later that it was just one man with a rifle
  • Deputy Craig is now shown Exhibits 150, 156 & 157 - and asked to say whether the clothing matches that worn by the man he saw running down the grassy knoll towards the Rambler shortly after the assassination
  • Deputy Craig says the color of clothing he is shown in Exhibits 150, 156 & 157 is slightly similar but not a perfect match to the clothing worn by the man getting into the Nash Rambler
  • Deputy Craig says he never discussed a bus transfer ticket with Sheriff Decker that was found in Oswald's pocket upon arrest
  • Deputy Craig affirms that he "feels like it was" the same man in Fritz's office who he saw running down the grassy knoll to the Nash Rambler.

* presumably Oswald is the man sitting in Fritz's office, although this is not made clear in the WC testimony

CONCERNS:

1. Deputy Roger Craig offers two points in Warren Commission direct testimony drastically in conflict with the final Warren Report:  (I) the placement of a rifleman on the far WEST area of the TSBD 6th floor, and (II) the strong suggestion Oswald escaped Dealey Plaza in Ruth Paine's station wagon
  2. Deputy Craig runs to the same area upon hearing the shots as all the other sheriff's deputies - the train track area.  Are they in a herd mentality?  Or directed there?
  3. While Mooney, Boone, and Weitzman leave the railroad track area and go to the TSBD and the 6th floor without explaining why they did so; Craig instead starts interviewing witnesses in Dealey Plaza.  He shows up later on the 6th floor, after the shells are found, but before the gun is found.
  4. the Rowlands' eyewitness sighting of a rifleman at the TSBD's 6th floor's western windows, reported by Craig, is in direct contradiction to the "sniper's nest" found by Deputy Boone at, the EASTERNMOST windows
  5. the Rowlands' eyewitness sighting of 2 men at the TSBD's 6th floor western windows, one with a gun, 10-12 minutes before shots were fired, suggests the shells found by Deputy Mooney are in a different place than the gunman
  6. Deputy Craig's retelling of what the Rowlands saw is hearsay.  The correct primary source for the alleged facts from the Roawlands is from the Rowlands themselves.
  7. Pinpointing the timing of Craig's movements is key to compare with the timing suggested by other deputies on the 6th floor; Craig offers several time check points
  8. Deputy Craig's identification of Oswald in Captain Fritz's office is strong, but not perfect
  9. If the substance of what the Rowlands said they saw, as repeated by Deputy Craig, is correct - there is a good reason to wonder if the evidence found in the 6th floor is manipulated, probably involving Dallas police & sheriff officers - since they immediately claimed a sniper's nest in the easternmost TSBD 6th floor windows supported by pictures of found shell casings.
  10. Craig mentions statements taken by Rosemary Allen which should be compared to WC testimony and other sources
  11. There is a small core cadre of police who build the case against Oswald on the 6th floor - Mooney & Boone, possibly also Walthers and Craig
  12. Deputy Sheriff Lemmy Lewis should be able to collaborate or cast doubt on Craig's retelling of the Rowlands' story.
  13. Overall, Deputy Roger Craig is way out of sync with the other sheriff deputies testimonies, except he does somewhat corroborate how and when the gun was found on the 6th floor

Roger Craig in the 1970s: (this YouTube video contradicts his testimony in that to the WC Craig says he arrived on the 6th floor AFTER the shells were discovered - by the 1970s Craig says he and Boone found the spent cartridges; neatly lined up in a row.)  Additionally, Craig says he saw a MAUSER stamp on the found rifle, confirmed by constable Seymour Weitzman.

Edited by Jason Ward

Jason,

Thanks for your hard work analyzing the WC testimony of Dallas Deputy Roger Craig.   You already see many of the anomalies.   His changing his story about the bullets is another anomaly.

Also, the fact that he was (1) fired from the Sheriff's office for speaking with Jim Garrison and Penn Jones Jr; and (2) met a violent death after multiple attempts on his life; make his story more interesting.

Yet perhaps the most important part of his story, for these purposes, is that the DPD police and Sheriff's department denied his WC testimony.   Here is the testimony of DPD Captain Will Fritz:

Mr. BALL. Roger Craig stated that about 15 minutes after the shooting he saw a man, a white man, leave the Texas State Book Depository Building, run across a lawn, and get into a white Rambler driven by a colored man.

Mr. FRITZ. I don't think that is true.

Mr. BALL. I am stating this. You remember the witness now?

Mr. FRITZ. I remember the witness; yes, sir.

Mr. BALL. Did that man ever come into your office and talk to you in the presence of Oswald? ...

Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; I am sure he did not. I believe that man did come to my office in that little hallway, you know outside my office, and I believe I stepped outside the door and talked to him for a minute and I let someone else take an affidavit from him. We should have that affidavit from him if it would help.

Mr. BALL. Now this man states that, has stated, that he came to your office and Oswald was in your office, and you asked him to look at Oswald and tell you whether or not this was the man he saw, and he says that in your presence he identified Oswald as the man that he had seen run across this lawn and get into the white Rambler sedan. Do you remember that?

Mr. FRITZ. I think it was taken, I think it was one of my officers, and I think if he saw him he looked through that glass and saw him from the outside because I am sure of one thing that I didn't bring him in the office with Oswald.

Mr. BALL. You are sure you didn't?

Mr. FRITZ. I am sure of that. I feel positive of that. I would remember that I am sure...

Mr. BALL. After he had said, "That is the man," that Oswald got up from his chair and slammed his hand on the table and said, "Now everybody will know who I am." Did that ever occur in your presence?

Mr. FRITZ. If it did I never saw anything like that; no, sir.

Mr. BALL. That didn't occur?

Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; it didn't. That man is not telling a true story if that is what he said...It is something I don't know anything about.

Here we can see that DPD Captain WIll Fritz told the WC that Deputy Roger Craig ws "not telling a true story."    Soon after this, Deputy Roger Craig would be fired from his job at the Dallas County Sheriff's department.   His next job would be as a grocery bagger and shopping cart collector at a supermarket.

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo

4 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

Here we can see that DPD Captain WIll Fritz told the WC that Deputy Roger Craig ws "not telling a true story."    Soon after this, Deputy Roger Craig would be fired from his job at the Dallas County Sheriff's department.   His next job would be as a grocery bagger and shopping cart collector at a supermarket.

Hi Paul,

For me this controversy about Roger Craig brings up another point that is less discussed.   

Aside from the substantive points Craig makes about the station wagon and identifying Oswald in Frtiz's office; this tells us about the work of the Warren Commission. IF the entire WC staff were programmed from day one to aim for Lone Nut, the Roger Craig issue wouldn't be so obvious.   

For instance, in Roger Craig's direct testimony to the Warren Commission, he is asked if Sheriff Decker mentioned a bus transfer ticket found on Oswald, which is of course a key factor in refuting Craig's testimony that Oswald left downtown in a Nash Rambler station wagon.    Craig says the bus transfer ticket was never mentioned, Sheriff Decker says it was.   In fact the question asked of Craig about the transfer ticket is clearly in reference to Decker's December '63 statement to the FBI - which to me shows the WC staff was purposefully investigating inconsistencies and not hiding all the contrary evidence.  They could have easily hidden or diminished the Craig issue and not brought up the contradiction between Craig and Decker on the bus transfer ticket:

1. Dallas County Sheriff's Deputy Roger Craig in direct testimony to the Warren Commission (summer, 1964)

Craig_says_no_bus_transfer.png

2. From Oswald's CIA 201 file, the memo of a FBI interview with Dallas County Sheriff Bill Decker a few weeks after the assassination:
Decker_says_Craig_is_honest.png

On 3/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, Paul Trejo said:

In my quick review, that limits it to those marked in purple above.   Here's my new list of 14 Dallas Police employees -- and I think this is a manageable number:

DPD HQ and Patrolmen (1):

J. Herbert Sawyer (Inspector) 

To summarize  my request, Jason -- may we please place these 14, plus Deputy Roger Craig, highest in the queue at this time?   If so, please place Deputy Craig next.

Police and Sheriff testimony in the Warren Commission Part 6: Dallas Police Department Inspector J. Herbert Sawyer

Inspector Herbert Sawyer, Age 47:

• 23 years with DPD, has Main St. crowd control duties during presidential motorcade
  • After motorcade passes, Sawyer returns to his car and hears on the radio Sheriff Bill Decker ordering all men to the TSBD
  • Sawyer then hedges a bit and says it may not have been Decker who said TSBD, but the TSBD was mentioned by someone
  • Parks in front of TSBD main entrance, unknown officers tell him shots were fired from here, proceeds in elevator to 5th floor guided by unknown man
  • Joined by "one or two" unknown officers, he sees a storage area on the 5th floor, and an office with female workers present
  • Inspector Sawyer quickly returns to the ground floor and posts 2 officers to guard the front entrance: no one in or out
  • WC attorney Belin directs the discussion towards radio logs; specifically initial broadcasts after 12:28 which call officers to Parkland Hospital, the triple overpass, and the railroad track area adjacent to Dealey Plaza; apparently made by Sheriff Bill Decker
  • Belin gets Sawyer to agree that at 12:31 the radio logs indicate "...the president has been hit;" and at 12:34 no. 136 reports a passer-by who says the shots came from the TSBD
  • 12:34 is seemingly the moment the TSBD is first disseminated to police as a gunman location (by DPD dispatcher?  based on what info?)
  • Inspector Sawyer re-affirms that when he arrived at the TSBD, officers told him shots were fired from the 5th floor, but now adds that there was a "reference" to the triple overpass and a broadcast about the railroad track area
  • Sawyer suggests Sgt. Harkness may have gone with him to the 5th floor, via a waiting elevator near the TSBD entrance
  • Belin prompts Sawyer to admit that a radio call at 12:34 + 3 minutes in the elevator and looking around the 5th floor, establishes 12:37 as the earliest moment when he, Sawyer,  ordered the building be sealed off
  • However, Inspector Sawyer says a police sergeant told him the TSBD was already sealed off when he arrived, even though Sawyer saw no guards at the front door and people could come and go
  • Sawyer seems to admit that the front door was unguarded until 12:37 at the earliest
  • Inspector Sawyer says he then set up a system for moving up to 50 witnesses to the nearby sheriff's office to get their statements
  • Belin has Sawyer read radio transcripts indicating that Sawyer called for more backup to the TSBD at 12:43-12:45
  • Belin has Sawyer read radio transcripts indicating Sawyer broadcasts that the wanted man is 5"10, age 30, weight 165, carrying a 30-30 or similar Winchester rifle.
  • Inspector Sawyer says he also made a radio transmission regarding an African American male employee of the TSBD with a criminal record who was "supposed to have been a witness to Oswald being there."
  • Sawyer says a deputy sheriff told him the African American male witness to Oswald as a suspect was himself  also a missing TSBD employee
  • Belin and Sawyer agree that between 12:45 and 12:48 DPD headquarters is now broadcasting that "all" information received indicates the TSBD is the source of the shots
  • Sawyer reads a radio transcript indicating that at 1:12, rifle shells were found and that "all indications" are that the shooter had been there for "some time," according to "somebody inside the building" who told Sawyer this information.
  • Belin asks Sawyer where he got the description of the wanted 165 pound man and Sawyer replies this came from a witness who said he saw a rifle barrel sticking out from the 5th or 6th floor
  • Sawyer denies knowing any details of the witness who provided a description of the rifleman; but says he sent this witness to the sheriff's office 
  • DPD Inspector Sawyer says "a few" people saw a rifleman, all indicating on an upper floor of the TSBD
  • Sawyer says "very few" people thought there were shots from the overpass among witnesses he encountered
  • Sawyer pinpoints the southeast corner of an upper TSBD floor as where witnesses pointed who said they saw a rifleman
  • Sawyer volunteers that he heard from a DPD officer that there was someone on an upper floor of the building to the east of the TSBD taking a film of the day's events; this man was "taken care of" by Secret Service agent Sorrels
  • Inspector Sawyer volunteers that an African American DPD officer spotted the African American TSBD employee who was wanted for a statement and took him in for questioning
  • Sawyer finally adds that when he heard of the officer shot in Oak Cliff, he "released" 6 officers from Dealey Plaza to help with that

CONCERNS:

1. The most apparent value of this testimony is around timing.   Do Inspector Sawyer's specific time points support or challenge the sheriff deputies?
  2. Murky here is a concern appearing in all the testimony from Dallas peace officers in the area.   Sheriff Decker makes a radio call commanding officers to the overpass/railroad area.   BUT, Sawyer goes to the TSBD instead.  
  3. Sawyer claims that shortly after Decker commands officers to the overpass/railroad area, he hears a broadcast from DPD headquarters about the TSBD instead.  Is this confirmed by transcripts?  Who and why is the TSBD singled out by the DPD, apparently contravening Sheriff Decker's orders?
  4. Why does Inspector Sawyer arrive at TSBD and make a cursory check of the 5th floor?   Why this particular floor, and why not the 6th floor, 7th floor, or the roof?   Is Sawyer making a latter day effort to deny any personal knowledge of 6th floor activities and evidence?
  5. Does not mention the presence of Captain Fritz or Sheriff Decker at TSBD.  Why?
  6. What is the explanation for the description of the 30-30 or similar Winchester?
  7. Inspector Sawyer's witness processing seems exceptionally casual - no names and few details are given; he seems to pass on the responsibility for pinpointing witness statements to others and seems little concerned about using immediate witness information to track down the killer.  Sawyer is happy to set up a bureaucratic process for witnesses, but doesn't do anything to act on the info the witnesses provided in hopes of catching the criminal(s).
  8. Sawyer is very casual and nonchalant when confronted with the possibility the crime has been filmed.  Too casual?
  9. Sawyer makes a point to emphasize that the overpass/railroad area is not where most witnesses heard shots come from - is this consistent with other testimony?
  10. Sawyer makes a point to emphasize that the shooter had "been there a while."
  11. Sawyer definitely wants it clear that he was at all times seeking the missing African American employee from the TSBD, who was quickly apprehended.  How does Sawyer get info that this man has a police record?  (see transcript below)
  12. Sawyer is, it seems, the DPD conduit providing the initial 165 pound description of the shooter
  13. Again, timing is perhaps the most important evidence Inspector Sawyer gives, i.e. when was TSBD locked down?
  14. Sawyer adds a new angle as to how the TSBD got into law enforcement focus.  He says this was from a DPD headquarters broadcast - while the sheriff's deputies entirely omit how they came to focus on the TSBD instead of their initial focus on the railyard/overpass area.

1. Radio transcripts indicating Sawyer's interest in a missing African American TSBD employee...who gave him this info?

Sawyer_one_apd_givens_1.png

Sawyer_two_givens_2.png

2. Sawyer applied for the FBI at some point?
Sawyer_FBI_1953_memo.png

3. Dallas Police Deparatment Inspector James Herbert Sawyer at the TSBD: relaxed?

picture_of_Herbert_Sawyer_d_PD_inspector

20 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

Hi Paul,

For me this controversy about Roger Craig brings up another point that is less discussed.   

Aside from the substantive points Craig makes about the station wagon and identifying Oswald in Frtiz's office; this tells us about the work of the Warren Commission. IF the entire WC staff were programmed from day one to aim for Lone Nut, the Roger Craig issue wouldn't be so obvious.   

For instance, in Roger Craig's direct testimony to the Warren Commission, he is asked if Sheriff Decker mentioned a bus transfer ticket found on Oswald, which is of course a key factor in refuting Craig's testimony that Oswald left downtown in a Nash Rambler station wagon.    Craig says the bus transfer ticket was never mentioned, Sheriff Decker says it was.   In fact the question asked of Craig about the transfer ticket is clearly in reference to Decker's December '63 statement to the FBI - which to me shows the WC staff was purposefully investigating inconsistencies and not hiding all the contrary evidence.  They could have easily hidden or diminished the Craig issue and not brought up the contradiction between Craig and Decker on the bus transfer ticket:

1. Dallas County Sheriff's Deputy Roger Craig in direct testimony to the Warren Commission (summer, 1964)

Craig_says_no_bus_transfer.png

2. From Oswald's CIA 201 file, the memo of a FBI interview with Dallas County Sheriff Bill Decker a few weeks after the assassination:

Jason,

While it's plausible that the Warren Commission (WC) was earnestly considering both sides of the Lone Nut theory of Lee Harvey Oswald (that is what they claimed in their brief "Warren Report" summary of the WC Hearings and Exhibits) in my opinion, however, I believe that the WC was putting on a show of considering both sides.   

These questions were not spontaneous -- they were planned and even coordinated with many witnesses before the hearings.   There was no cross-examination.   This is why it is important that that we find any contradictions at all.

The problem for the WC was that the Dallas and Fort Worth newspapers had, by January 1964, already published every single theory about the JFK Assassination that was available by then (most of those we still talk about today) and the Warren Commission had no choice but to DISCUSS every single one, and then CONFIRM or DENY.

This is stated explicitly in the Warren Report.

Such was the case with Roger Craig.  He was given many chances to change his story -- but like a grammar school dropout, he refused to do so.   Very well then, he would get the job of any grammar school dropout adult -- grocery bagger and grocery cart collector.

The FBI memo you cited showed that although Captain Fritz knew of Roger Craig's story long in advance of his WC testimony, Fritz still didn't like hearing about it on the stand.

It is like the Sylvia Odio story.   It discusses the possibility that Lee Harvey Oswald had accomplices -- but also smashes her theory to smithereens.   The same happened with Roger Craig.  That was not objective legal questioning -- that was leading the witnesses to the biased conclusion. 

That's how I see it.    Now -- I am not arguing that Roger Craig was telling the truth.   I will later argue that Roger Craig was disliked by most Sheriff Deputies -- had at most one friend in the Department (not a Deputy) -- and his lack of education left him as the low man on the totem pole at every turn.

In my opinion -- Deputy Buddy Walthers was the high man on the totem pole, and he coordinated all the Deputy stories, as far as possible.   He also gave Roger Craig a story to tell -- about Ruth Paine in particular.    But as the Deputies' story changed by necessity, Roger Craig was not bright enough to realize that he had to change his story -- so he stubbornly refused -- and so he himself had to be discarded.   That's my current thinking on Roger Craig.

Who kept changing the Deputies' story?    Bill Decker and Will Fritz, surely -- but in coordination with General Walker.   That's what I'll seek to show.

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo

I would love to see actual evidence of Fritz and Decker coordinating with Walker. I’m not raining on the theory that a few cops or detectives were in on the conspiracy, or that Walker was involved in it. My only complaint about the Walker did it theory is, has been, and will remain the negation of possible collusion up the chain of command. 

19 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

Police and Sheriff testimony in the Warren Commission Part 6: Dallas Police Department Inspector J. Herbert Sawyer:

CONCERNS:

1. The most apparent value of this testimony is around timing.   Do Inspector Sawyer's specific time points support or challenge the sheriff deputies?
  2. Murky here is a concern appearing in all the testimony from Dallas peace officers in the area.   Sheriff Decker makes a radio call commanding officers to the overpass/railroad area.   BUT, Sawyer goes to the TSBD instead.  
  3. Sawyer claims that shortly after Decker commands officers to the overpass/railroad area, he hears a broadcast from DPD headquarters about the TSBD instead.  Is this confirmed by transcripts?  Who and why is the TSBD singled out by the DPD, apparently contravening Sheriff Decker's orders?
  4. Why does Inspector Sawyer arrive at TSBD and make a cursory check of the 5th floor?   Why this particular floor, and why not the 6th floor, 7th floor, or the roof?   Is Sawyer making a latter day effort to deny any personal knowledge of 6th floor activities and evidence?
  5. Does not mention the presence of Captain Fritz or Sheriff Decker at TSBD.  Why?
  6. What is the explanation for the description of the 30-30 or similar Winchester?
  7. Inspector Sawyer's witness processing seems exceptionally casual - no names and few details are given; he seems to pass on the responsibility for pinpointing witness statements to others and seems little concerned about using immediate witness information to track down the killer.  Sawyer is happy to set up a bureaucratic process for witnesses, but doesn't do anything to act on the info the witnesses provided in hopes of catching the criminal(s).
  8. Sawyer is very casual and nonchalant when confronted with the possibility the crime has been filmed.  Too casual?
  9. Sawyer makes a point to emphasize that the overpass/railroad area is not where most witnesses heard shots come from - is this consistent with other testimony?
  10. Sawyer makes a point to emphasize that the shooter had "been there a while."
  11. Sawyer definitely wants it clear that he was at all times seeking the missing African American employee from the TSBD, who was quickly apprehended.  How does Sawyer get info that this man has a police record?  (see transcript below)
  12. Sawyer is, it seems, the DPD conduit providing the initial 165 pound description of the shooter
  13. Again, timing is perhaps the most important evidence Inspector Sawyer gives, i.e. when was TSBD locked down?
  14. Sawyer adds a new angle as to how the TSBD got into law enforcement focus.  He says this was from a DPD headquarters broadcast - while the sheriff's deputies entirely omit how they came to focus on the TSBD instead of their initial focus on the railyard/overpass area.

Jason,

Thanks for your detailed summary and analysis of DPD Inspector Sawyer's testimony.  As I noted, I'm very cautious about naming anybody as a JFK conspirator, so let me first give Sawyer the full benefit of every doubt, and see what shakes out.

My basic theory is that perhaps 10% of the Dallas Lawmen at Dealey Plaza were involved in the JFK plot, but they relied on the DPD culture of conformity and comradery of their fellow Lawmen to cover their story.  So, I will review your review, while presuming that Sawyer is merely a dupe of JFK plotters.

1.  The first question in your review that jumps out at me is this: WHO FIRST NAMES THE TSBD, OFFICIALLY?

1.1.   The answer is in the radio log -- the time is 12:35.  The DPD officer was Clyde Haygood.  His eye-witness was an unnamed white male.  Witness claimed the shots came from the TSBD.

142 (Patrolman C.A. Haygood)

I just talked to a guy up here who was standing close to it and the best he could tell it came from the Texas School Book Depository Building here with that Hertz Renting sign on top.

12:35

Dispatcher

10-4. Get his name, address, telephone number there - all the information that you can from him. 12:35 p.m.

2.  Arriving at the TSBD, Inspector Sawyer seems clueless.  "Some" officers confirm shots came from TSBD.  "Some" officers accompany him to 5th floor.  Seeing nothing there, he returns to the ground floor to seal off the building.

3.  Given 12:35 as a suggestion to go to the TSBD, and given that Sawyer had to drive a car there (1.5 minutes) and spent another 3.5 minutes wandering up and about the 5th floor and back down.  I count 5 minutes of lost time, making 12:40 the very first minute when Sawyer supervised the TSBD building seal-off.

3.1.  That was the same minute we have of Buddy Walthers on the South Lawn of Dealey Plaza, when he claims Lawmen were aimless and uncoordinated, until he ordered them to invade the TSBD.

4.  WC witnesses from Washington DC will blame the DPD for a deplorable slowness in sealing off the TSBD, thus letting Oswald escape. 

5.  I refuse to accept that the TSBD was sealed off by 12:37.

6.  I do accept that Inspector Sawyer set up a system to move witnesses to the County Jail as he boasts.

7.  I do accept that at 12:44, Sawyer broadcast a description of the wanted man, based on an eye-witness, as his best guess, namely, 5'10", age 30, weight 165, carrying a 30-30 Winchester.

8.  Sawyer says he doesn't remember times or names -- but he agrees 100% with the DPD radio transcript.  This is a safe position.

9. As for Charles Givens, a Black TSBD employee with a record, Inspector Sawyer did seek him -- but the timing is crucial -- this was AFTER the search was on for Lee Harvey Oswald (around 1:15) and AFTER the rifle had already been found.

10.0.  As for your concerns, Jason: 

10.1. Inspector Sawyer's specific time points support the DPD radio log, which confirms the bulk of his own WC testimony.

10.2.  The DPD radio log says that the TSBD was cited as early as 12:35.  Sawyer was correct.   Eye-witnesses named the TSBD.  This was better than Sheriff Decker, who had already passed the triple underpass when he gave his order. 

10.;3.  Besides -- Decker only commanded his own men (the Deputies) to go to the railroad yard, and as we have seen, all his available men went there.  Decker had no authority to command the Dallas Police.  They had their own chain of command.

10.4.  The fact that Sawyer fruitlessly wastes time on the 5th floor TSBD may be innocent -- he was plausibly clueless and in shock -- and reacted before gathering his five senses and duty.

10.5. Sawyer does not mention Captain Fritz or Sheriff Decker at TSBD, because they didn't arrive until after the shells were found (ca. 1:12 pm) and he was the one in charge at the TSBD from about 12:40 to 1:10.  They simply were not there

10.5.1.  Also, Sawyer did not report to them -- he reported to Jesse Curry, who never came to the TSBD.  So, Sawyer was in charge for the DPD.

10.6.  The Winchester rifle was merely the guesswork of one of the eye-witnesses.

10.7.  The pride of Inspector Sawyer was that he organized the routing of eye-witnesses to the County Jailhouse for questioning and affidavits.  

10.8.  Sawyer says nothing more about any filming from the DalTec building, because that was above his pay grade.  The Secret Service controlled that, period.  He didn't care further.   

10.8.1.  Either that -- or Sawyer knew that there was a shooter at the DalTec, and he knew that the filming story was a cover, and he blamed the Secret Service for the cover.

10.8.2.  It is interesting to me that he specifically names Forrest Sorrels as the agent in charge -- because I personally believe that Forrest Sorrells was one of the JFK plotters.

10.9.  When Sawyer downplays the Grassy Knoll witnesses, he is arguably only conforming to the wishes of the DPD and the WC.  

10.10.  When Sawyer said the shooter had "been there awhile," he was arguably repeating what others said.  That seems to be Sawyer's modus operandi -- just echo others.

10.11.  IMHO, Sawyer wants to emphasize his racist belief that all crimes have Negroes behind them, so he emphasized Charles Givens, a TSBD worker who was missing when Oswald was missing.  Then, after Roy Truly defended Givens as a loyal worker, Sawyer de-emphasized it by claiming that a Negro DPD officer had arrested Givens for questioning.  It's not important to the JFK solution, IMHO.

10.12.  The 165 pound shooter was the guesswork of an eye-witness.  Sawyer just echoes.

10.13.  Sawyer wishes everyone will believe that he really locked down the TSBD before 12:45, but that is a dream-wish. 

10.14.  There was a 12:35 DPD broadcast about the TSBD, as we have seen above.

In my opinion, Jason, the WC testimony of Inspector Sawyer is arguably innocent, but he gives us a good Timeline for evaluating the testimony of other TSBD witnesses.  Sawyer was slow and barely competent under the circumstances.   (As Walt Brown would say, the shooting of a Dallas police officer was far more important to the DPD than the shooting of JFK.)

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

4 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

I believe that the WC was putting on a show of considering both sides.   

Such was the case with Roger Craig. 

Hi Paul,

There was at least one other witness that corroborates Deputy Roger Craig's story about Oswald leaving Dealey Plaza.   This witness later recanted their story and was painted as an unstable alcoholic; this statement in support of Craig never made it into the WR.

Thoughts?

What is a viable explanation for how Mr Meharg would make a 14 December report about a man leaving the TSBD in a two-tone station wagon story, other than he saw what Deputy Craig says he saw?

Meharg_one_station_wwagon.png

Meharg_two_station_wagon.png

Mharg_three.png

4 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

Hi Paul,

There was at least one other witness that corroborates Deputy Roger Craig's story about Oswald leaving Dealey Plaza.   This witness later recanted their story and was painted as an unstable alcoholic; this statement in support of Craig never made it into the WR.

Thoughts?

What is a viable explanation for how Mr Meharg would make a 14 December report about a man leaving the TSBD in a two-tone station wagon story, other than he saw what Deputy Craig says he saw?

Jason,

First of all, great work on finding this story by Marion Meharg.   I've never seen it before.

I will, for the sake of argument, admit the plausibility that SOMEBODY ran from the North Loading dock of the TSBD -- and into a green ish Chevy station wagon -- and sped away.

That is certainly possible.  There is also a fair chance that it was the same scene that Deputy Roger Craig saw -- and he believed that person looked the same as Lee Harvey Oswald.

In fact -- there is also some chance that it actually was Lee Harvey Oswald AND AN ACCOMPLICE.    Let me stipulate that it was, for the sake of argument.  By the way -- I believe that Oswald actually did exit the rear dock of the TSBD, minutes after the encounter with DPD motorcycle cop, Marrion Baker.   I totally discount the "Lone Nut" legend that Oswald took a bus and a taxi from the TSBD.  I regard that as a fiction created by the FBI and DPD.   I have held that conviction for many years.

HOWEVER -- on the other side -- I have a problem with this testimony by Marion Meharg.  He then ascribes in his "memory," that the license plate number was the same as that of his wife -- and so the Chevy was the same one that his wife owned.   And so, we observe this Oedipal fantasy in his mind -- probably the result of alcoholism.  So -- although I accept that Meharg saw a man jump into a station wagon and speed away -- the details are obscured for us because of the pathetic nature of his "memory."

NOW -- let us turn to Deputy Roger Craig.   I will also stipulate that he saw the same scene -- but just like Marion Meharg -- Roger Craig steps on his own story.  I totally discount Roger Craig's elaboration on this story -- that he personally encountered Lee Harvey Oswald inside the officer of Captain Will Fritz, and provoked Oswald into exclaiming, "That station wagon belongs to Ruth Paine -- you leave her out of this!"  

First, Captain Fritz is befuddled by the story.   Of course he would recall what happened inside his own office!   Would Captain Fritz expose himself to the charge of lying if he had no superlative reason?   Of course not.

Secondly, if the DPD cops and Deputies are coordinating their stories, then why is Roger Craig trying to make himself into a central figure in the JFK saga?

Therefore, I do accept that Lee Harvey Oswald exited the rear of the TSBD building and jumped into a station wagon driven by an accomplice who was dark skinned -- perhaps a Cuban or a Mexican-American (e.g. David Morales or Larry Howard) -- and sped away. 

HOWEVER, I reject accept the "elaborations" told by both witnesses.   They added stuff.  Meharg added a fantasy about his wife.  Roger Craig added a fantasy about Ruth Paine (and he most likely heard about Ruth Paine from another Dallas Deputy, e.g. Buddy Walthers).

So -- in a sad twist of fate -- both witnesses were 50% truthful, but their "elaborations" canceled their true history.  There's my opinion.

Finally, Jason, great work on finding this story by Marion Meharg.   I've never seen it before.

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo

1 hour ago, Paul Trejo said:

Jason,

First of all, great work on finding this story by Marion Meharg.   I've never seen it before.

I will, for the sake of argument, admit the plausibility that SOMEBODY ran from the North Loading dock of the TSBD -- and into a two-tone Chevy station wagon -- and sped away.

That is certainly possible.  There is also a fair chance that it was the same scene that Deputy Roger Craig saw -- and he believed that person looked the same as Lee Harvey Oswald.

In fact -- there is also some chance that it actually was Lee Harvey Oswald AND AN ACCOMPLICE.    Let me stipulate that it was, for the sake of argument.  By the way -- I believe that Oswald actually did exit the rear dock of the TSBD, minutes after the encounter with DPD motorcycle cop, Marrion Baker.   I totally discount the "Lone Nut" legend that Oswald took a bus and a taxi from the TSBD.  I regard that as a fiction created by the FBI and DPD.   I have held that conviction for many years.

HOWEVER -- on the other side -- I have a problem with this testimony by Marion Meharg.  He then ascribes in his "memory," that the license plate number was the same as that of his wife -- and so the Chevy was the same one that his wife owned.   And so, we observe this Oedipal fantasy in his mind -- probably the result of alcoholism.  So -- although I accept that Meharg saw a man jump into a station wagon and speed away -- the details are obscured for us because of the pathetic nature of his "memory."

NOW -- let us turn to Deputy Roger Craig.   I will also stipulate that he saw the same scene -- but just like Marion Meharg -- Roger Craig steps on his own story.  I totally discount Roger Craig's elaboration on this story -- that he personally encountered Lee Harvey Oswald inside the officer of Captain Will Fritz, and provoked Oswald into exclaiming, "That station wagon belongs to Ruth Paine -- you leave her out of this!"  

First, Captain Fritz is befuddled by the story.   Of course he would recall what happened inside his own office!   Would Captain Fritz expose himself to the charge of lying if he had no superlative reason?   Of course not.

Secondly, if the DPD cops and Deputies are coordinating their stories, then why is Roger Craig trying to make himself into a central figure in the JFK saga?

Therefore, I do accept that Lee Harvey Oswald exited the rear of the TSBD building and jumped into a station wagon driven by an accomplice who was dark skinned -- perhaps a Cuban or a Mexican-American (e.g. David Morales or Larry Howard) -- and sped away. 

HOWEVER, I reject accept the "elaborations" told by both witnesses.   They added stuff.  Meharg added a fantasy about his wife.  Roger Craig added a fantasy about Ruth Paine (and he most likely heard about Ruth Paine from another Dallas Deputy, e.g. Buddy Walthers).

So -- in a sad twist of fate -- both witnesses were 50% truthful, but their "elaborations" canceled their true history.  There's my opinion.

Finally, Jason, great work on finding this story by Marion Meharg.   I've never seen it before.

All best,
--Paul

That's quite a salad you have made there, Paul. It's a shame, however, that you are such a picky-eater.

1 hour ago, Paul Trejo said:

Jason,

NOW -- let us turn to Deputy Roger Craig.   I will also stipulate that he saw the same scene -- but just like Marion Meharg -

Hi Paul,

Meharg is absent from the JFK research literature I can see.   Sure, Meharg is an alcoholic and Deputy Craig presents problematic testimony - but is it really possible they both could come up with a near-duplicate man-escaping-into-a-two-tone-station-wagon story totally by their imagination?   

27 NOV 63 FBI teletype - Meharg reports his own wife's license plate and not Ruth Paine's - however, Meharg nails the make and color when Craig calls it a Nash....hmmmm...... 

Ruth_paine_lic_plate.png

versus what Meharg saw in Dealey Plaza:

Mharg_three.png

Edited by Jason Ward

Jason,

Ruth had a green station wagon, not a two tone.

Too much attention is paid to this ... We can account for Ruth Paine's vehicle.

I have already stipulated to the escape of Oswald by station wagon.  We now have two witnesses with imperfect stories instead of only one.

I repeat -- great work.

It strengthens my case that the DPD fabricated a Lone Nut case against Oswald.

All best,
--Paul

Edited by Paul Trejo

26 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

Jason,

Ruth had a green station wagon, not a two tone.

I have already stipulated to the escape of Oswald by station wagon.  We now have two witnesses with imperfect stories instead of only one.

I repeat -- great work.

It strengthens my case that the DPD fabricated a Lone Nut case against Oswald.

All best,

--Paul

Hi Paul,

I think Meharg + Craig taken together present a weight of evidence towards a conclusion that a male ran from the TSBD area into a station wagon in the moments after the assassination.   We can forget the Paine station wagon.

I might perhaps attribute more weight to this than you because it presents a new angle: now I want witnesses in Oak Cliff who saw a station wagon.  Not a taxi cab, not a bus, not a man walking - but a station wagon.  Two men in a station wagon, one perhaps dark-skinned....a man getting out of a station wagon.  OR  --- really, any activity related to a green/white station wagon, such as was a station wagon ever seen in the parking area by the railroad tracks?    Or was a green station wagon in some other way noticed around this time?   Does someone else in this story drive a station wagon?

....its just another angle....

It may not be Oswald of course, just some other interesting person who wants to escape the TSBD quickly....we can leave it for now, but it's a new lead for me.

Jason

47 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

Hi Paul, 

I'm growing more concerned about the station wagon that Marion Meharg and Deputy Craig saw at Dealey Plaza...

From Donald B Thompson, Hear No Evil (2013), pp 522-523:

Station_Wagon_1.png

station_wagon_2.png

Edited by Jason Ward