The Education Forum

The Future of the Education Forum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think it best to ignore posts that offend, and simply report them to moderators for attention. I'd also point out (for readers' edification) an excellent recent article by Dan Hardaway (former HSCA investigator) in AARB Achieves dated 10/30/2017 entitled "What Were They Hiding and What Should We Look For?" This article reveals a 1967 CIA dispatch (memo) sent to CIA Stations which lays out a plan for defending the government's official story and labels people who question the lone nut theory as “conspiracy theorists.”  It describes a strategy to counter and discredit the claims of such conspiracy theorists ... and it suggests tactics similar to what we experience in certain Forum threads in question today.

The recommended approach in the 1967 dispatch is to label critics (of the official story or the CIA) as: (i) wedded to theories adopted before the evidence was in, (ii) politically interested, (iii) financially interested, (iv) hasty and inaccurate in their research, or (v) infatuated with their own theories.”  It suggests that critics be countered by advancing arguments such as that they have produced no new evidence, that they overvalue some evidence while ignoring other evidence, that large scale conspiracies are “impossible to conceal in the United States,”  that Oswald would not have been any “sensible person’s choice for a co-conspirator”, and by pointing out the comprehensive work of the Warren Commission.

When this behavior is encountered, Hardaway suggests we stop and ask, “Why is the writer disparaging this idea?  Who is he trying to deflect suspicion from?  Why is he trying to direct my suspicion elsewhere? Can I reject the label and recover an objective view what this labeled individual has to say?”  And don't simply reject it out of hand because of the labelling ... but keep in mind that the term “conspiracy theory” gained prominence as a result of a CIA-led propaganda initiative specifically addressed at protecting their own interests.  He also references an article by Lance deHaven-Smith, "Conspiracy Theory in America" (2013) about how the term (CT) was popularized and subsequently made a target of ridicule and hostility.     

Sounds familiar ... 

Gene Kelly

If you look at the first page of threads and commenters on them at this moment I have to wonder how many might be trolls?  Diversions.  Relevant, interesting comments about some topics seem to get buried quickly.

31 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

43 guest on line at the moment.  3 members.  Are the guests finding relevant interesting information that might entice them to read further?

It's a good question.   We used to see statistics, didn't we?   How many reads on each thread?   I don't see that anymore.   

What are the statistics of readership on the Forum today?    

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

So will we be posting here in a few month's ?  Should we be donating?

Yes it probably would be a good idea to create a donating system. I have tried but I keep getting lost and place the idea onto the back burner since I have more pressing concerns.

The question of membership statistics was raised and I agree they are not so readily available as they were on Invision software 3. I will look into that for you all.

Regarding the principle of funding I will continue to fund the EF and the EF will continue to exist beyond May 2018. I have been heartened by a definite change in tone on the forum. 

13 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

Yes it probably would be a good idea to create a donating system. I have tried but I keep getting lost and place the idea onto the back burner since I have more pressing concerns.

The question of membership statistics was raised and I agree they are not so readily available as they were on Invision software 3. I will look into that for you all.

Regarding the principle of funding I will continue to fund the EF and the EF will continue to exist beyond May 2018. I have been heartened by a definite change in tone on the forum. 

Just now, Paul Brancato said:
13 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

It’s very generous of you. The donation link seems broken. Funny, I asked you about it a few years ago and for some reason never saw your response until now.

16 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

Thank you for your response and as Paul mentioned, generosity in funding the site.

17 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

That's great news!  Thank you, James!

Yes, Thanks James, and for the work of the crew!

Heads up to Ron, for bringing this back up again!