The Education Forum

Desperate Measures in the Congo

13 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

72 pages of communications log entries, dated from 11-23-63 (LBJ) looks like a lot of focus on the Congo

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2018/docid-32283057.pdf

Another doc. Rich re: The Congo

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2018/docid-32626852.pdf

There is a lot of info on The Congo on this page and in this range of of Archive docs.

https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/release?page=424&ftag=MSF0951a18&sort=asc&order=Title

Edited by Michael Clark

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Josephs sent me some of these new Congo documents.

It is remarkable how, after Hammarskjold's murder, Kennedy took control of the situation to a remarkable degree.

He was even telling the United Nations what to do.  Apparently, he felt he had to carry through on his secret agreement he made with Dag to keep Congo and Indonesia out of the hands of the imperialists.  Most people would not feel obliged to honor an agreement if the guy you made the agreement with passed on.  But he did.

Edited by James DiEugenio

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 7:29 PM, Michael Clark said:

A damning document in the role of the CIA in the assassination of Lumumba.

QJWIN

WIROGUE

Very frank comments by Dulles and Harvey,

Arnold Silver

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/157-10005-10297.pdf

Edited by Michael Clark

I'm not certain whether anyone is aware of this at the Harold Weisberg archive but I figured I'd post it just for drill.

Written for Gung Ho magazine  by William Seymour (ha! yeah most likely THAT William Seymour) a former mercenary who was in Cuba in 1961 about former Nazi and CIA operator Helmut Streicher. Not particularly revealing details but the article features Streicher's comments on Lumumba/Congo, the JFKA and other interesting odds and ends. Running him to ground could generate some interesting information.

Streicher worked with Schellenberger, Skorzeny and Canaris during WWII and was in Spain with Franco setting up spy networks prior to that. Naturally he dodged the Russians at the end of the war and US Army intel brought him on board (no doubt after Helen Keller checked him for war crimes etc).

He seems to be an under-the-radar type that was mixed up in a lot of major ops. I wonder what his crypto(s) is and whether he may have been a QJ at some point. He certainly had the background for it if indeed QJ is a Spanish crypto.

If anyone has more information on him please post.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/C Disk/CIA Cuba Policy/Item 03.pdf

Edited by Bob Ness
Forgot link

That is a really interesting report Mike.  Man does it make Dulles look bad.

Bob:

The thing is Streicher says he is working for CIA.  But yet he is working with the Belgians.  Kennedy's whole policy was to keep the country independent of Belgium after Lumumba's death. I can use this when idiots like Max Holland says the CIA always obeys the president.  Interesting comments he makes on the JFK murder.

BTW, from documents Lesar saw, the CIA even hired Skorzeny to work the Congo.  Hey, you can never have too many Nazis can you?

Since this is about the Congo it might be worthwhile pointing out that within 3 months of the JFK assassination Rip Robertson had shipped out to the Congo, early 1964.   He assisted with recruiting a joint ground and air group of Cuban exiles and personally led the ground unit on operations in the Congo.  Although totally anecdotal,  multiple sources reported his - and the exiles - openly talking about the JFK assassination with Robertson himself taking bows.  Strictly talk but what is absolutely certain is that he moved out of Cuban operations and off to the Congo almost immediately after the assassination and was out of the country pretty much from that point on.

10 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

That is a really interesting report Mike.  Man does it make Dulles look bad.

Bob:

The thing is Streicher says he is working for CIA.  But yet he is working with the Belgians.  Kennedy's whole policy was to keep the country independent of Belgium after Lumumba's death. I can use this when idiots like Max Holland says the CIA always obeys the president.  Interesting comments he makes on the JFK murder.

BTW, from documents Lesar saw, the CIA even hired Skorzeny to work the Congo.  Hey, you can never have too many Nazis can you?

No such thing as too many Nazis when it comes to imperialism!

It's like whack-a-spy with Streicher I'm sure. Today he's official, tomorrow he's not. Whatever Helms or whoever determines US policy should be would dictate the modus operendi. But lets face it Jim, the politicos take advantage of these types of arrangements too as they can deny knowledge of what their underlings are doing. I don't think JFK did this re the Congo but the big picture is the spy's sit back and think "what's good for the goose etc..."

Re JFKA I wonder whether it's "sewing circle talk" or whether he actually knew anything. I also thought it was interesting that the article was written by Billy Seymour. Maybe this is well known on the forum but I'm new...

On 4/5/2018 at 8:38 AM, Rob Couteau said:

I really enjoyed it - thought you summed everything up really well. Plus he didn't interrupt you and let you get into it in depth. Which is always a sign of a decent interviewer. By the way, did you see that Marrell McCollough's daughter just published a touchy-feely piece in the Washington Post about Dr. King and growing up in Memphis and somehow managed to never mention that fact that her dad was an agent provocateur, undercover cop, and later a CIA man? "My father, Marrell McCollough, witnessed the shooting and attempted to render first aid to King." Are the editor's asleep at the wheel ... or do they still have a second job at the Agency? Really shameful. Apparently she is writing a book about her father - there's one for you to review. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/04/04/i-ran-from-memphis-but-i-cant-escape-how-it-felt-to-grow-up-black-there/?utm_term=.c10cb5c6f539

Here's more and I believe this is Marrell McCollough's twitter:

https://twitter.com/marrellmc

Another article by his daughter:

http://www.oprah.com/inspiration/leta-mccollough-on-learning-to-accept-her-fathers-secret-cia-past

The man in the photo with his daughter (2nd link) certainly looks like the man in the twitter link. I'm very suspicious of him.

Edited by B. A. Copeland

Bob:

I was completely unaware of that article by Seymour.

its pretty clear that the CIA was contradicting Kennedy's policy there by using off the shelf mercenaries.  They preferred the Nixon/Eisenhower policy of allying themselves with Belgium, and to a lesser extent England, to restore imperial rule to the Congo. Which is what Kennedy and Hammarskjold were resisting.

After Kennedy's death, LBJ--as he did so often--reverted back to that Eisenhower/Nixon policy.  And Larry, what you heard via someone who knew Robertson, I heard directly from a CIA pilot who was there on the scene at the time.  He said words to the effect, "Jim, you wouldnt have believed it. We took over the embassy. And they brought in all these Operation Forty guys."

And that was the end of the Hammarskjold/Kennedy goal of keeping Congo from falling back under the claw of European imperialism.

Very interesting Jim, and very consistent.....must have been a surprise seeing Robertson show up with his Cuban exile force in the Congo.  Actually there are some interesting photos of them there, actually published in an Army study of the hostage rescue operation - Dragon Rouge.