The Education Forum

Ted Kennedy

If my two brothers were assassinated the way they were and at the times they were, and then Chappaquiddick happened to me, two things would happen in my mind: 1. Any doubt I may have had about my brothers' murders would be gone. 2. I would worry about myself and the rest of my family and would never speak of it again.  

27 minutes ago, Jeffrey Reilley said:

If my two brothers were assassinated the way they were and at the times they were, and then Chappaquiddick happened to me, two things would happen in my mind: 1. Any doubt I may have had about my brothers' murders would be gone. 2. I would worry about myself and the rest of my family and would never speak of it again.  

He survived a plane crash in June of 1964 as well.

I think a far more interesting question is ; Why did the Kennedy clan react to JFK's assassination in the way they did? I think a potential good answer to this is the involvement Bobby had with Castro Assassination attempts. It may have seemed a real risk that Bobby was tarred with killing his own brother. Winning the Presidential election and enhancing his brother's legacy may have appeared to be a better option.

I remember reading in one of the accounts of Chappaquiddick (don't know if it was the book Senatorial Privilege or some other account) how Ted bemoaned to one or more of his advisers that night, "They got my brothers and now they're going to get me" and "now they got me." Someone here may also remember the quote. In any case, he had to know at that point if not before, as Jeffrey posted above, that his brothers died at the hands of conspirators. And my question is not only why he would go ahead and run for president, but why any Kennedys would run for public office to serve the very establishment that had slaughtered Jack and Bobby, as if nothing had happened and with obviously no intent to have the murders re-examined. Indeed I remember at least one of the later Kennedy office holders complaining about conspiracy theories. What a family. It's not as if its members couldn't find other gainful employment. It gives new meaning to the old expression, if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Edited by Ron Ecker

10 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

I remember reading in one of the accounts of Chappaquiddick (don't know if it was the book Senatorial Privilege or some other account) how Ted bemoaned to one or more of his advisers that night, "They got my brothers and now they're going to get me" and "now they got me." Someone here may also remember the quote. In any case, he had to know at that point if not before, as Michael posted above, that his brothers died at the hands of conspirators. And my question is not only why he would go ahead and run for president, but why any Kennedys would run for public office to serve the very establishment that had slaughtered Jack and Bobby, as if nothing had happened and with obviously no intent to have the murders re-examined. Indeed I remember at least one of the later Kennedy office holders complaining about conspiracy theories. What a family. It's not as if its members couldn't find other gainful employment. It gives new meaning to the old expression, if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Thanks, first of all. RFK Jr. says it was a conspiracy, and for what I know John John thought the same. When the second decided to run into politics, he strangely died

Edited by Paz Marverde

Ron, I have never heard of Ted saying that.  Can you source it more specifically?

As per why the Kennedys did not say anything after JFK was killed, this issue was well explored in Talbot's book Brothers.

Bobby Kennedy suspected that there was more to it than the Oswald angle.  And, good investigator that he was, he began to explore other aspects like the CIA, Mob, and Cuban exiles.  And we all know that he and Jackie sent that message to the Russians about a week later.

But Talbot added that there was a meeting of the Kennedy clan in which RFK broached the subject of if they should openly question the Rush to Judgment on the Oswald matter.  The consensus, led by Ted, was that they should not.  That they would likely be hounded and ridiculed and thus marginalized, and therefore could not do anything politically anymore.

So Bobby went along with that decision while he privately conducted his own inquiry.  And, according to more then one source, he was going to reopen the JFK case once he was inaugurated. 

BTW, I should add one point here:  before he passed away, Roger Feinman told me he was honing in on the doctor Bobby was working with in New York on the JFK case. He then said he found him, and just shortly after, Roger died.  I make no connection at all between the two events.  I only add that in case someone asks who the doctor was.  I don't know because of Roger's passing.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Ron, I have never heard of Ted saying that.  Can you source it more specifically?

Jim,

The only account of Chappaquiddick that I specifically remember reading is Senatorial Privilege, and I no longer have the book or it's somewhere in storage. But I did a Google search for the quote as I remember it, and found this in an Esquire collection of Kennedy family quotes: "They're going to shoot my xxx off the way they shot Bobby."

The quote is from 1969, but no source is cited. It could be what I remember reading, which got altered in my memory over time.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/interviews/a6770/kennedy-family-history-0110/

Edited by Ron Ecker

I covered Chappaquiddick in Hidden History. I don't think he was even in the car that night, and the incident in fact was his political assassination (at least in terms of the presidency). 

My research proved that JFK, Jr. at least was not only keenly interested in who killed his father, but actually was on some kind of quest to expose the truth behind the scenes. The Kennedy family's public posture about the assassinations has never made sense to me (just compare it to the way MLK's family fought courageously for the truth about his assassination), but I have no doubt that in private they discounted the official stories. 

11 minutes ago, Don Jeffries said:

I covered Chappaquiddick in Hidden History. I don't think he was even in the car that night, and the incident in fact was his political assassination (at least in terms of the presidency). 

Don,

I remember two versions of this theory. One is that they somehow incapacitated him, killed Mary Jo and framed him. The other is that he got out of the car and told her to drive on ahead, so as not to be seen together (by a deputy sheriff in the area, as I remember it). Do you favor either version, or some other one?