The Education Forum

The Tippit Case in the New Millenium

DAVID VON PEIN SAID:

The best witnesses to prove Oswald's guilt in the Tippit murder are, IMO, the two Davis girls, who each IDed Oswald later that day [11/22/63] in a lineup. And they each saw LHO dumping shells out of a REVOLVER. (Ergo, the killer was not armed with an "automatic", which would be foolish in this case anyway, since--per CTers--they were trying to "frame" good ol' Lee Harvey for this 2nd murder too; so why would they frame him with an automatic when the patsy didn't own such a weapon?)

Barbara Davis Affidavit

Virginia Davis Affidavit

There is no safe hiding place for the conspiracy theorists in the Tippit case. Oswald left his calling card at the scene, and was positively identified by multiple witnesses (either doing the shooting or fleeing the area immediately afterward).

No amount of conspiracy spin will exonerate Lee Oswald for J.D. Tippit's slaying.

Just the fact that Oswald was in the area of the crime, brandishing a pistol and fighting with police, within 35 minutes of Officer Tippit being shot is very powerful circumstantial evidence of his guilt right there.

And when we add in the undeniable fact that the gun Oswald was holding in the theater WAS the Tippit murder weapon (based on firearms tests that positively link the four bullet shells at 10th & Patton to Oswald's Smith & Wesson revolver #V510210), then nothing more needs to be said to prove Oswald's guilt.

But maybe the conspiracy theorists think that someone ELSE (who was a dead ringer for Oswald) used LHO's gun to kill Tippit, and then this real killer somehow got Oswald to take back his gun in the next 35 minutes before Oswald was arrested. And then Oswald felt like killing some cops in the movie theater. (Yeah, that's a theory any jury would buy, isn't it?)

GARRY PUFFER SAID:

Ah, those Davis ladies, who definitely saw Oswald but somehow could not get the color of his jacket right, not even agreeing with each other.

DAVID VON PEIN SAID:

The Davis girls weren't focusing mainly on Oswald's JACKET, for Pete sake. They were focusing on his FACE and WHAT HE WAS DOING -- i.e., dumping shells out of a revolver just a few feet away from each of the Davis girls' faces.

The "jacket" was certainly a secondary thing on the minds of Barbara Davis and Virginia Davis during those very few brief seconds they were looking at J.D. Tippit's killer.

But, once again, chaff always trumps wheat in a CTer's field of absurdity. In other words, the differing JACKET descriptions positively (somehow) mean that Oswald wasn't the killer. And a POSITIVE I.D. at the police station by both Davis girls means nothing in the world of many CTers.

Brilliant!

BEN HOLMES SAID:

This boggles the mind... the EASIEST thing for humans to spot is the color of someone's clothing. It's the LARGEST OBJECT in view, and quickly categorized.

DAVID VON PEIN SAID:

Therefore, per Holmes' logic here about the jacket colors, EVERY witness who said the jacket of the fleeing gunman was a DIFFERENT color (or shade) really saw DIFFERENT gun-toting people. Barbara Davis saw someone DIFFERENT than her sister-in-law. And Ted Callaway saw yet another different person (because of the jacket, which could never be misidentified in color by ANY witness because, per Ben, it's the "largest object in view"). [LOL break.]

Discussion continued here....

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2014/06/jfk-assassination-arguments-part-725.html

Edited by David Von Pein

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Tippits frantic zig zag squad car ride shortly after the shots at Dealy Placa and his hectic phone calls, indicate, that he had a job to do in connection with the assassination. What it was, we 'll never know, maybe to pick up a man involved in the assassination and put him out to Redbird ... that is, what Tippit was made to believe. But he was only sent around in his squad car in pointless circles, until it was time to kill him and to put the blame on Oswald. That's speculation, I know.  What we know for sure is the time Tippit was shot. It was 1:06 pm. Quote from a CTKA review of Barry Earnest book THE GIRL ON THE STAIRS:  

"Barry then visited the scene of policeman J. D. Tippit's shooting. Here, he meets a witness that no agent of government had talked to, a Mrs. Higgins who lived nearby. She offered him some very important information. She had heard the shots and ran out her front door to see Tippit lying in the street. Barry asked her what time it was. She said it was 1:06. He asked her how she recalled that specific time. She said because she was watching TV and the announcer said it. So she automatically checked her clock when he said it and he was right." (Pronto after that announcement she heard the shots which killed Tippit)

Close Quote

To verify the Higgins statement, it would be helpful to figure out, if a news clip exists, with the narrator saying: It is now 1:06 ... that moment  would be the exact moment of the Tippit killing ...  

Question for Gene Kelly: Who shot Tippit, acc. to John Armstrong? 😁Was it Lee🙈, was it Harvey🙈, or was it somebody who looked completely different? 🤡Here is a witness, Armstrong completely ignored in the chapter of his book H&L: 1963  November 22 (Tippit Shooting)  p. 848-876  ... where Armstrong insists, that Tippit was shot by an Oswald lookalike .. which is not true. 

Edited by Karl Kinaski

Karl

Who knows ... as you state, its all speculation.  One account (see July 2009 Jim Feemster EF thread) states that - while the real Oswald was chair-hopping and buying popcorn - the “light-colored jacket guy” shot Tippit and began his trek to the Texas Theater, losing his jacket and leaving bread crumbs along the way to make sure the shoe salesman gets on his trail and leads the cops by proxy to where Oswald is waiting. After slipping into the Theater this villain makes his way to the rear door and when the cops arrive is jerked out and put into a squad car to be spirited away. That account (not necessarily John Armstrong's) would imply the other Oswald did the shooting.

Another person of interest was Dallas Officer Harry Olsen, a Jack Ruby associate.  Olsen allegedly spent the day guarding a fictitious estate (near 10th and Patterson).  He apparently broke his kneecap, took only one day off from work (that Friday), and was back on the job the following week.  The Tippit shooter was described as slightly heavy-stocky with dark bushy hair, a light colored jacket, a white shirt and dark pants, and 5’10”… a closer match to Harry Olsen than Harvey Oswald. Olsen was also a hostile Warren Commission witness, claiming he could remember next to nothing on that day. After giving testimony to the Warren Commission, he requested a large part of the testimony be deleted. Olsen was fired by Chief Jesse Curry in December 1963, and moved hastily to California with his girlfriend, one of Jack Ruby's strippers.

Still others speculate that the man who murdered Tippit was Curtis LaVerne Crafard (aka Larry Crafard). Crafard was employed at Jack Ruby’s Carousel Club as a "multi-purpose employee" (handyman, bartender, et al). Crafard was ostensibly living at the Carousel Club at the time of the assassination (some think that he was living at Earlene Robert's rooming house). He made a hasty departure from Dallas, supposedly hitchhiking to his cousin’s home in Clare, Michigan. Crafard was mistaken for Oswald by several witnesses. Interestingly, Crafard was asked an unusually large number of questions (3,972, to be exact) by the Warren Commission. Crafard also matched the description of Tippit's shooter given by witness Domingo Benavides, including the light gray jacket allegedly discarded by Tippit’s killer behind the Texaco service station on Jefferson Blvd. Officer Howell Summers informed the DPD radio dispatchers that he had an “eye ball” witness who observed Tippit’s killer, and that the killer was a 27 year old white male, with a fair complexion, 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighing 165 pounds, with black wavy hair, and wearing a light gray “Eisenhower type” jacket.  That piece of evidence matches the jacket Crafard was wearing when he was photographed by the FBI ... both jackets made by the same manufacturer - Maurice Holman - from California (see the thread entitled The Stevenson Incident and the Assassination at Greg Parker’s research forum). 

Then there is the Oswald lookalike observed by T.F. White in Carl Mather’s car ... perhaps the enigmatic Igor Vaganov (see Bill Kelly's thread). And of course, Roscoe White.  The reality is that six witnesses (all ignored by the Warren Commission) saw two men shoot Tippit who ran away from the scene in opposite directions; one purportedly toward the Texas Theater, throwing the planted shells up in the air so that witnesses would see and recover them.  This action ironically had the opposite effect of convincing some that Oswald did not shoot Tippit. The unknown conspirator(s) then entered the Texas Theater in a manner to draw attention, and exited out the backdoor before the historic (Harvey) Oswald arrest.

Gene

1 hour ago, Gene Kelly said:

The reality is that six witnesses (all ignored by the Warren Commission) saw two men shoot Tippit who ran away from the scene in opposite directions; one purportedly toward the Texas Theater, throwing the planted shells up in the air so that witnesses would see and recover them.  This action ironically had the opposite effect of convincing some that Oswald did not shoot Tippit. The unknown conspirator(s) then entered the Texas Theater in a manner to draw attention, and exited out the backdoor before the historic (Harvey) Oswald arrest.

Gene

I do not think, that there is any link between the events at the vicinity of the Tippit killing and the events in the Texas Theater some 40 minutes later (different cells different personnel) except in the brains of the plotters of that military type coup de etat ... to blame Oswald for murdering Tippit meant: we have our guy in custody for all practical purposes ... if everything goes as anticipated we can blame him with the murder of Kennedy too ... they did this step by step ... they only accused Oswald for murdering  Kennedy AFTER the manipulation of the remains of the President at Bethesda prior to the autopsy by a secret team to make the wounds look like one guy did it  ... imagine the wounds would have been such, that by no means they could have been forged to look like caused by one rifleman ... Oswald would have been a problem, but no problem: he would have been sent to the electric chair for killing a policeman. It's only speculation, counterfactual history, but I like it ... 

9 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Sacrificed for the common good of uniting the troops?

Certainly once Oswald was a ‘cop killer’ it guaranteed that DPD would close ranks. But the question I have is where was Tippit when JFK was killed? 15 minutes later he was identified by multiple witnesses at a gas station a mile from Dealey Plaza. It’s been a while since I read Into the Nightmare, but what I recall is that his alibi didn’t hold up. There was a store owner who provided it many years later by saying he had called the police to deal with a shoplifter, and that Officer Tippit had answered his call shortly after noon and arrested the shoplifter. But there is no record of the arrest to corroborate that story. 

I've read extensively about the assassination, but have never paid much attention to Tippit, always thinking it was just an odd possibly unrelated incident to the actual killing.  I finally have started paying attention and reading about Tippit's murder, etc.  I have a question which some of you on the forum may have already "fleshed" out.   Tippit's location was pretty nebulous up until the time he was killed.  When he was killed, he was outside his car.  Was his car examined/documented?  Was his trunk opened and searched?  Is there any kind of inventory of contents of his car?  It strikes me, that with the uniform hanging in the back, someone could have joined him in the patrol car, assumed the identity of a second patrolman and disappeared quite easily.  Dallas had both one man and two man patrol cars, so it would have looked natural to an observer.  Also, if the DPD was involved, it would be easy enough for "dispatch" to call Tippit's car number/unit number and send the car out to "Redbird Field" to check for a possible fleeing subject, thereby facilitating the escape of one or both possible conspirators.  This of course, goes down many rabbit holes depending on whether Tippit was a shooter and both had to escape or if he was just the driver for the escaping assassin.  Either way, it looks like one or both men were "set up" and eliminated.

Karl

Of all the interesting alleys and rabbit holes that one can get lost in when wrapping ones arms around the assassination, Tippit's murder stands out for me as something really odd but very important, as far as understanding what happened. I'm not sure it can ever be unraveled, as its been convoluted and obfuscated over many years.  Very little is known about Officer Tippit (he remains unknown and unknowable, as one researcher characterized him).  Witnesses to his murder were intimidated and generally ignored.  

For me, at the 1,000 foot level, there were DPD conspirators who were littering evidence all along the way ... from Tippit's murder scene to the Theatre. Apparently painting a bright line to Oswald as the "unsub".  My other instinct - again speculative and unproven - is that somehow the plot/plan seems to have gone astray, and became somehow improvised as the afternoon progressed.   Jack Ruby's role in shooting Oswald seems an add-on, since something else didn't happen according to plan.  Perhaps you're right ... there were several plans (and cells) operating disjointedly, while we all assume (and try to force fit it) as part of a single unified theory. 

Gene

RIchard:

According to McBride, Leavelle said he did not even check Tippit's clipboard.  Hard to believe but that is what he said.

As per suspects, McBride had three that I think are pretty interesting.  They are Igor Vaganov, Dwayne Garner and Harry Olsen.  

If I recall correctly, Don Thomas also thought Olsen was suspicious.  He was familiar with Ruby, and when he and his dancer wife Kay Coleman split up, according to Thomas, she said they knew Oswald also.  If you read Specter's interview with Olsen, someone briefed Arlen on all the liabilities Olsen posed for the WC. 

Garner was  a suspect in the shooting of Warren Reynolds and we all know how that relates to the whole Betty McDonald case that Sylvia Meagher found so suspicious. 

Vaganov is, well what can you say about this guy?  Lee Farley started an interesting thread about him here a few years ago.  Fonzi wrote a milestone article about him in Philadlephia Magazine.  That article was so fascinating that the MSM decided it had to be knocked down.  But the John Berendt article in Esquire that was supposed to do that, IMO, actually made Vaganov even more suspicious.

As per Tippit, another triumph of the McBride book is that he really does try and delve into his character and background.  To put it mildly, the image of Tippit as a Leave it to Beaver husband and father, is not accurate. If I recall correctly, he worked part time for awhile at both Austin's Barbecue and the Texas Theater.  He also was having an affair with a waitress from the former. At least one witness said, I think it was Paul's former wife, that she and he knew Tippit.  And I think Ruby's sister said that she saw him in Ruby's club.

Mc Bride's book is really a good depository on this info.  I would have had a much harder time writing that article  without it.

Edited by James DiEugenio

The best witnesses to prove Oswald's guilt in the Tippit murder are, IMO, the two Davis girls, who each IDed Oswald later that day [11/22/63] in a lineup

So Dave, why do they contradict themselves, Markham, Bowley and the others?  Why do you neglect Mrs. Higgins and Holan from directly across the street who tell a completely different version along with a number of witnesses you conveniently ignore...?

If these 2 are the BEST you can do... with the WCR putting their full faith in Markham despite the contradictory evidence... despite Oswald already being at the theater....  Read carefully Dave...  your BEST WITNESSES are par for the course....

Mr. BALL. What did he do? 
Mrs. MARKHAM. Well, he stared at me. 
Mr. BALL. What did you do? 
Mrs. MARKHAM. I didn't do anything. I couldn't. 
Mr. BALL. Didn't you say something? 
Mrs. MARKHAM. No, I couldn't. 
Mr. BALL. Or yell or scream? 
Mrs. MARKHAM. I could not. I could not say nothing. 

Mr. BALL. That was before you put your hands over your eyes? 
Mrs. MARKHAM. Yes, sir; and he kept fooling with his gun, and I slapped my hands up to my face like this. 
Mr. BALL. And then you ran to the policeman? 
Mrs. MARKHAM. After he ran off. 

Mrs. MARKHAM. I was out there, I didn't see anybody. I was there alone by myself. 
Mr. DULLES. I see. You didn't see anybody else in the immediate neighborhood? 
Mrs. MARKHAM. No; not until everything was over--I never seen anybody until I was at Mr. Tippit's side. I tried to save his life, which was I didn't know at that time I couldn't do something for him. 

Mrs. MARKHAM. No, I couldn't understand. I was screaming and hollering and I was trying to help him all I could, and I would have. I was with him until they put him in the ambulance. 

Seems there is a conflict...  With Mrs. M scared to death and covering her eyes, she was not standing across the street hollering and drawing attention to herself... she was trying to be invisible....    Mrs. MARKHAM. I could not. I could not say nothing. 

Mr. BELIN. Did you see him go through any bushes by your house or not? Or didn't you see him? 
Mrs. DAVIS. No, sir. 
Mr. BELIN. You mean you didn't see him? 

Mrs. DAVIS. We saw him when he cut across our yard. 

Mrs. DAVIS. When Mrs. Markham was standing across the street hollering, she told us to call the police, so Jeanette and I went in there, and Jeanette called the police and we went back and he was cutting across our yard, and we gave him time to go on because we were afraid he might shoot us. 
Mr. BELIN. Did you call the police before or after you saw him cut across your yard? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Before.

David...  Below is the 12/1/63 signed statement of Virginia Davis... who says the exact opposite of what her testimony says...  why is it that most every witness claims one thing shortly after the 22nd yet completely changes the story when they testify before the commission (without any cross examination)...  ???

This says:  SHOT - SHOT - run to door - man crossing yard - HELEN SCREAMS from the corner - back inside together - call police...  now wouldn't that make it AFTER he cuts across the yard?

Mr. BELIN. Did you call the police before or after you saw him cut across your yard? 
Mrs. DAVIS.
Before.

Mrs. DAVIS. By the time we got back from off the phone, he had already gone. He had already disappeared behind the corner of our house. 
Mr. BELIN. Did you see him going in front of your house before you called on the phone? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Yes.

Seems there is a conflict - again... and it also seems that one of the two witnesses didn't see "the man" do much of what everyone else supposedly did....

Mr. BELIN. You didn't actually see what he did with them when he got them in his hand, did you? 
Mrs. DAVIS. No, sir. 
Mr. BELIN. You are nodding your head no? 
Mrs. DAVIS. No. 
Mr. BELIN. Then what did you see the man do? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Well, he just cut across. He disappeared from behind the corner of the house. 

David - just go to her testimony... pages 460-461.  She doesn't seem to be very sure about much of anything... compared to her sworn before the Secret Service affidavit...   or do you feel that affidavits aren't worth the paper they're written on?  Seems the BAKER, WEITZMAN and BOONE affidavits are easily forgotten.... 

Now, what about sister Barbara?

Mr. BALL. You were lying on the bed. What did you do? 
Mrs. DAVIS. I got up, put my shoes on to see what it was. 
Mr. BALL. Did you ever go outdoors? 
Mrs. DAVIS. At first, I didn't. 
Mr. BALL. When you went to the door, did you open the door? 
Mrs. DAVIS. I opened the door and held the screen opened. 
Mr. BALL. What did you see? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Mrs. Markham standing across the street over there, and she was standing over there and the man was coming across the yard. 
Mr. BALL. A man was coming across what yard? 
Mrs. DAVIS. My yard. 
Mr. BALL. And what did you see the man doing? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Well, first off she went to screaming before I had paid too much attention to him, and pointing at him, and he was, what I thought, was emptying the gun. 

Mr. BALL. Show an arrow about where you were standing. 
Mrs. DAVIS. About there. 
Mr. BALL. That is 21, photo 21 and Commission Exhibit 534. 
After the man left, what did you do, after he went out of sight what did you do? 
Mrs. DAVIS. I went back in and phoned the police. 

Mr. BALL. Show an arrow about where you were standing. 
Mrs. DAVIS. About there. 
Mr. BALL. That is 21, photo 21 and Commission Exhibit 534. 

img_1134_260_200.jpg

Mr. BALL. Did you see the policeman? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Yes. 
Mr. BALL. Where was he? 
Mrs. DAVIS. He was laying on the left-hand side of the car on the ground, by the left-hand fender.

Ever wonder how she could see a man lying in the street on the opposite side of the car from where she was standing

23985710_DaviscouldntseeTippitonground.thumb.jpg.11d09508e3813396f3dd0268622422bd.jpg

BARBARA AFFIDAVIT:  Today November 22, 1963 shortly after 1:00 pm, my sister-in-law, Virginia Davis, and I were lying on the bed with the kids. I heard a shot and jumped up and heard another shot. I put on my shoes and went to the door and I saw this man walking across my front yard unloading a gun. A woman was standing across the street screaming that "he shot him, he killed him" and pointed towards a police car.

img_1136_448_200.jpg

Mr. BELIN. Did you see anything else as you heard her screaming? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Well, we saw Oswald. 

Mr. BALL. And then you ran to the policeman? 
Mrs. MARKHAM. After he ran off. 

Mr. BALL. Was he dressed the same in the lineup as he was when you saw him running across the lawn? 
Mrs. DAVIS. All except he didn't have a black coat on when I saw him in the lineup. 
Mr. BALL. Did he have a coat on when you saw him? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Yes, sir. 
Mr. BALL. What color coat? 
Mrs. DAVIS. A dark coat. 

Mr. BALL. I have a jacket, I would like to show you, which is Commission Exhibit No. 162. Does this look anything like the jacket that the man had on that was going across your lawn? 
Mrs. DAVIS. No, sir. 
Mr. BALL. How is it different? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Well, it was dark and to me it looked like it was maybe a wool fabric, it looked sort of rough. Like more of a sporting jacket. 

1726263449_TheWhiteJacket-forweb.jpg.25b15938c8a9caeeab70c6d674f43d3c.jpg

When DVP's rebuttal begins by quoting DVP himself, it's obvious that the argument is more about what DVP thinks and less about any evidence.

That's my cue to tune him out.

31 minutes ago, Mark Knight said:

When DVP's rebuttal begins by quoting DVP himself, it's obvious that the argument is more about what DVP thinks and less about any evidence.

Yeah, I never cite any evidence whenever I talk about this case, do I Mark?

Eyeroll-Icon-Blogspot.gif

And David Josephs' attempt above to try and discredit BOTH of the Davis girls is really pathetic. But it's not surprising, of course. Internet CTers will do and say anything in order to keep their Anybody But Oswald dream alive and kicking----even to the point of trying to exonerate Oswald of a murder he could not possibly be innocent of (in the real world).

The only possible way for Lee Harvey Oswald to be innocent of shooting J.D. Tippit is if the following idiotic situation occurred (which nobody could possibly even begin to believe happened on November 22, 1963):

Somebody other than Lee Oswald shoots Tippit with Oswald's revolver. This "non-Oswald" shooter (who looks just exactly like Lee Harvey Oswald, but really isn't him) then flees the scene of the Tippit crime, dumping four shells on the ground as he runs away. This non-Oswald shooter then meets up with the real Lee Oswald and hands off the Tippit murder weapon to LHO. Oswald then proceeds to the Texas Theater where he is arrested while in possession of the gun that somebody else used to kill Officer Tippit just 35 minutes earlier.

Edited by David Von Pein

David...

Your entire post is filled with untruths and your own supposition based on inauthentic evidence...

You don't refute a single thing I wrote...  not one...   "And David Josephs attempt above to try and discredit BOTH of the Davis girls is really pathetic."

Then tear it apart Dave...   show me what I got wrong in my exposing your building blocks of lies....

3 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

Somebody other than Lee Oswald shoots Tippit with Oswald's revolver.

Proof David...  you can't say it was his when you can't even show he bought it, or ever had it in his possession prior to the 22nd...

The fact the entire Seaport BS is built on yet another block of lies eludes you , we know...

You ever find anything from REA telling anyone to come get a pistol?   :huh:

The rest of your post is you being obtuse... so what.

The amount of contradictory evidence you choose to simply ignore is absolutely monumental - but then again you're defending the WCR...  ignoring conflicting evidence was "standard Operating Procedure"

YOU chose those two sisters... who were in bed, heard shots, put on their shoes and go to the front door as a young man passes by holding a gun...  

Who was Barbara looking at here Dave?  maybe.... that other shooter?  (nice too how you ignore WESTBROOK and CROY)... what where THEY doing there at just the right moment and just the right spot?

9 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

This "non-Oswald" shooter (who looks just exactly like Lee Harvey Oswald, but really isn't him) then flees the scene of the Tippit crime, dumping four shells on the ground as he runs away.

Mr. BALL. Was he dressed the same in the lineup as he was when you saw him running across the lawn? 
Mrs. DAVIS. All except he didn't have a black coat on when I saw him in the lineup. 
Mr. BALL. Did he have a coat on when you saw him? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Yes, sir. 
Mr. BALL. What color coat? 
Mrs. DAVIS. A dark coat.

Mr. BALL. I have a jacket, I would like to show you, which is Commission Exhibit No. 162. Does this look anything like the jacket that the man had on that was going across your lawn? 
Mrs. DAVIS. No, sir. 
Mr. BALL. How is it different? 
Mrs. DAVIS. Well, it was dark and to me it looked like it was maybe a wool fabric, it looked sort of rough. Like more of a sporting jacket. 

1726263449_TheWhiteJacket-forweb.jpg.25b15938c8a9caeeab70c6d674f43d3c.jpg