The Education Forum

Lyndon Johnson: Israel Has Had No Better Friend

As I recall, LBJ was indeed such a good friend of Israel that he called back U.S. fighter jets that were on their way to the scene where the Israelis were bombing the U.S.S. Liberty.

40 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

As I recall, LBJ was indeed such a good friend of Israel that he called back U.S. fighter jets that were on their way to the scene where the Israelis were bombing the U.S.S. Liberty.

Maybe equally if not more important he or someone called back the other nuclear armed U S jets heading to Egypt responding to "their" attack on the Liberty.  Regarding the sailors and intel personnel on the liberty itself Johnson commented words to the effect of "I don't give a damn if they all die".  A sad day in U S History.

Then again Angleton's the one who basically gave them the material for their nuclear weapons program.  So they put up a couple of statues in his honor.

From Joan Mellen's Faustian Bargain and Jeff Morley's Ghost via memory at the moment.

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Maybe equally if not more important

from JTA series in Haaretz:

"Kennedy wanted Americans to inspect the plant; Israel kept dodging the requests. In May 1963, Kennedy threatened to isolate Israel unless it let in the inspectors. Neither he nor Johnson ever made good on the threat, and today, Israel’s nuclear capabilities are its worst-kept secret."

In May 1963, Kennedy threatened to isolate Israel unless it let in the inspectors. Neither he nor Johnson ever made good on the threat, 

Um.....what happened between "May 1963" & "Johnson?" 
Edited by Robert Harper
bold letter