The Education Forum

"Seven Days in May"

Jim Root

Walker, Colonel Edwin Anderson

10.11.1909 Center Point, Texas - 31.10.1993 Dallas, Tex.

Education: Schreiner Insitute;

1925-1927 New Mexico Military Institute;

1927-1931 US Military Academy, West Point;

1937 Field Artillery School;

19??? Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth;

Major Gen. Charles A. Willoughby - real name: Adolf Tscheppe Weidenbach, born in Heidelberg, Germany in 1892, Army Intelligence chief under Douglas MacArthur in Korea,,,

In May 1927 Willoughby was assigned to Ft. D.A. Russell, Wyoming, once again serving in the Infantry and being promoted to Major (permanent) on 6 March 1928. In September 1928 he was sent to Ft. Benning to attend the advanced course of the Infantry School, graduating in June 1929.

His military education was enhanced by graduation from Command and General Staff School at Ft. Leavenworth in June of 1931, a two-year course, after which he became an instructor in intelligence and military history at this institution.

Did this coincide with Walkers time at "Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth"?

Walker, Colonel Edwin Anderson

10.11.1909 Center Point, Texas - 31.10.1993 Dallas, Tex.

Education: Schreiner Insitute:::

Historical Kerr County Influences: Captain Charles Schreiner

Charles Schreiner was born on February 22, 1838 in Alsace-Lorraine, France. In 1852* Schreiner, his parents and 4 siblings immigrated to the United States and eventually settled in San Antonio, Texas.

When Charles was sixteen, Schreiner joined the Texas Rangers and served in campaigns against the Indians in the years 1854,1855, and 1857. He served with the Kerrville Mounted Rifles and was given the title Captain, which remained with him for his lifetime.

In 1857, Schreiner and his sister’s husband, Caspar Real acquired land and built a log cabin along Turtle Creek, near the town of Kerrville and started a ranching business.

In 1860, Schreiner applied for U.S. citizenship and on October 1st of that same year he married Mary Magdalene Enderle. Not long after the civil war broke out and Schreiner enlisted in the Confederate Army serving 3 ½ years with the Trans- Mississippi Army under General Walker.

When the war was over, Schreiner returned home to his wife and first born son Aime Charles. The war years had been hard on the ranch on Turtle Creek, so Schreiner moved his family to Kerrville. Soon after in 1866 Schreiner was elected County Clerk and served for two years. In 1868, Schreiner was elected County Treasurer and held that office for thirty years.

In 1869 Schreiner and August Faltin, who was a merchant from Germany started a mercantile store.

Faltin put up the capital of $10,000 to start the business, Schreiner and Faltin signed a ten-year contract as partners and after that time Schreiner would pay back the money and the business would be his. From the mercantile store the Charles Schreiner Company expanded into the wool & mohair business and also a bank.

In the late 1870’s Charles Schreiner built a home that reflected his position in Kerrville, which is located on Earl Garrett Street.

It was built using expert German masons for the decorative stonework.

The home is located on Earl Garrett Street. The house is now known as the Hill Country Museum.

In 1880.......Y.O. Ranch has been synonymous with the Schreiner family. In 1900 at the peak of Schreiner’s ranching career, he owned 600,000 acres on which he raised cattle and goats. Schreiner would make Kerrville the wool and mohair capital for many years.

In 1917 Schreiner divided his holdings, which included 566,000 acres of land, among his eight children. Aime Charles, Gustav Fritz, Louis Albert, Caroline Marie, Emilie Louise, Charles Armaud Jr., Walter Richard and Frances Hellen. Aime Charles received the mercantile store, Gustav received the ranching interests, Louis received the bank, and his daughters received land in Kerr County...........

One of his many gifts to the Hill Country was his donation of 140 acres and $200,000 to build a military school.

He approached the Presbyterian Church in 1914 and proposed his idea to establish the “Charles Schreiner Institute for Boy’s”

and eventually in 1917 after much negotiating the church began building the school. World War I delayed the opening of the school, in 1923 the first students arrived,..........

On February 9, 1927, Captain Schreiner passed away, up to the time of his death Schreiner held many positions in banking and railroad companies...........

PS * This was a difficult time in Alsace-Lorraine with growing unemployment, hunger, housing shortages and a lack of work for young people. Thus, it is not surprising that people fled, not only to Russia, but also to take advantage of a new opportunity offered by the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The Empire had recently conquered lands in the East from the Turkish Empire and offered generous terms for colonists in order to consolidate their hold on the lands. Many Alsatians also began to sail for America, where after 1807 slave importation had been banned and new workers were needed for the cotton fieldst. The aea had been divided, united etc for quite some time. Shreiners name indiocates a German heritage. The treaty of versaille (which many blame for Hitlers rise, returned the area to the French.

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim: I believe that Edwin Walker was a GREAT war hero

"I have found nothing in his character/ military career that leads me to believe anything else until his "Pro Blue Program."

1957-1959 Commanding General, Arkansas Military District (Little Rock) -

During which time he was ordered, against his will, in fact he resigned but the resignation was rejected, to integrate Little Rock school.

"1961 resign.ed [because of right-wing opinions]"

- He was re-assingned to a principal Military role in the Pacific, to Hawaii. He then resigned because he saw it as an ongoing muzzling of the military, which in fact was him countermanding an Order from the President that foreign Policy was first and foremost the civilian authority's resposnsibility, iow the Commander in Chief elected by the people, not individual Army Generals.

1962-Pres. John Kennedy and Atty. Gen. Robert Kennedy had waged a bitter battle from Sept. 30 to Oct. 3, 1962, at the University of Mississippi. The integration of one Black student brought in the U.S. Army and caused Gen. Edwin Walker to be confined. He was an insurrectonist who responded to a call to arms to prevent desegregation i Oxford Mississippi. He led the insurrection personally.

"Yes, I believe that Edwin Walker was a GREAT war hero and my research leads me to believe a "patsy" himself. He may well be the ideal Professional Soldier that follows orders, without question, and is willing to sacriface his life in the line of duty for his country without question"

-No, he resigned twice because he did not want to follow orders and in both cases an indication of his Right Wing stance. In the end he was an insurrectionist.

After his (final) resignation he became for many the mythical 'white knight on a horse' that would lead the white race to supremacy.

"How did the German newspaper get his telephone number at the Captain Shreve Hotel to call him at exactly 7:00 AM?

The answer to this question will never be known, but I think it is highly possible that Walker made the arrangements to speak with the German newspaper that broke the story..."

I think this can be known. -the phonecall: Munich, Germany, was to the Nazi newspaper Deutsche National Zeitung un Soldaten-Zeitung.

"Gerhard Frey: publisher of the Neo-Nazi Deutsche National-Zeitung und Soldaten-Zeitung.

Ally of Maj. Gen Willoughby/Weidenbach, Theodor Oberlander, was the German commander of the Ukraine's Nightingales during the war and wrote for Frey's newspaper".

A number of the Ukranian death squads were brought to New Jersey with the help of such as Willoughby.

"General Edwin Walker and the Hitler Nazis.: The Eagle's Nest, now a mountain restaurant, was given to Adolf Hitler by nazi aide Martin Bormann for the fuhrer's 50th birthday. It is not far from Hitler's former summer home in Berchtesgaden.Nearby is the Platterhof Hotel, built for guests when they came to pay their respects.

The Platterhof has changed its name to the General Walker Hotel."

There are important questions about the leadership of General Mark Wayne Clark ( Gen. Walkers superior officer) during World War II.

"was the youngest officer to become lieutenant-general in 1943, and was given command of the US Fifth Army shortly before the Salerno landings in Italy in September 1943. In December 1944 he assumed command of the 15th Army Group, putting him in command of all Allied ground troops in Italy. His conduct of operations remains controversial, particularly the attack on Monte Cassino, the slow progress of conquering Italy, and the failure to entrap and capture German units during the Battle of the Winter Line, when Clark sent his units towards Rome, in an attempt to be the first to enter the city, rather than to exploit a gap in the German positions. As a result of Clark's actions, the Gothic Line was not broken for another year, and the provisional governments and safe areas which the Allies had encouraged the Italian Partisans to set up were smashed by the German Army, at great loss to the partisans."

(Here one should consider the roles of JJ Angleton.)

At the war's end Clark was Commander of Allied Forces in Italy and, later, U.S. High Commissioner of Austria. Returning home, he commanded the U.S. Sixth Army."

"In 1954, he had been appointed by former President Herbert Hoover to chair a task force to investigate the Central Intelligence Agency and other intelligence organizations of the U.S. government...and spoke frequently on the threat of Communism and the need for greater U.S. military preparedness. In the 1960s, he renewed the friendship with Eisenhower that had been strained during the Korean War"

Jim: "1945 Commander, Task Force A, Oslo (Norway)"

Jim, do you know if it's possible to know which of the 474th Walker took with him to Norway were?

Is it also possible to know the names, and where from, the Germans who passed through?

Edited by John Dolva

John

Let me begin by saying I do not have all my notes with me at this time but I will attempt to reply to some of your last post:

To begin with the General Walker Hotel was named after General Walton Harris Walker who was died in a auto accident on Dec. 23, 1950 while fighting in Korea.

"1957-1959 Commanding General, Arkansas Military District (Little Rock) -

During which time he was ordered, against his will, in fact he resigned but the resignation was rejected, to integrate Little Rock school."

The information I have suggests that the "against his will" is an urban legend that seems to have been perpetuated after the death of JFK. I have several Time Magizine articles from that period that expose Maxwell Taylor as the man who called (by phone) his "old" comrade and trusted friend Edwin Walker to command the forces sent to Little Rock. If Walker attempted to resign he must have very quickly changed his mind because he had troops on the ground within hours of the call from Taylor. I might also point out that the Arkansas Military District also encompassed the army ballistic missile program in Huntville, Alabama (a plum command that covered the development of the Army's Space program that would soon be taken over by the newly created NASA).

- He was re-assingned to a principal Military role in the Pacific, to Hawaii. He then resigned because he saw it as an ongoing muzzling of the military, which in fact was him countermanding an Order from the President that foreign Policy was first and foremost the civilian authority's resposnsibility, iow the Commander in Chief elected by the people, not individual Army Generals.

The timming of Walker's trouble with the military coincides exactly with Lee Harvey Oswald's first attempts to return to the United States from the Soviet Union (just as Yuri Nosenko made contact with the CIA within days of Oswald departing the Soviet Union....coincidences????). Prior to this time Walker had a brilliant military career and can be tied to some of the most successful covert and overt military operations and trainning of the period.

"After his (final) resignation he became for many the mythical 'white knight on a horse' that would lead the white race to supremacy."

I will continue to suggest that Walker's movement into the "right wing" organizations within America may have been done upon orders. This would have been for two reason, one overt and one covert. First (overt) to infiltrate the "right wing" movement in America which was, at the time considered dangerous to the security of the United States and (2 the covert reason) may have been because LHO was returning to the United States. Please read my "Serendipity" post in the JFK Online Seminars portion of this Forum to see why this would be necessary to protect against an Oswald that may have been able to identify Walker as the man who helped Oswald to enter the Soviet Union in October of 1959.

"[Did this coincide with Walkers time at "Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth"?/b]

Walker attended the Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth in 1946. It is interesting to note that this "class" at the college was considered to be for the best and the brightest. It was formed at a time when the military was demobilizing after WWII and the military leadership was getting rid of "dead wood." To be selected for the Command College at this time displays the esteem that Walker had obtained within the minds of the military leadership.

In 1948 Walker would attend the Air War College, another feather in his military cap. Between the Command College and the Air War College, Walker would be running the Greek Desk at the Pentagon, orchestrating the first successful covert war of the new Cold War era that erupted after WWII.

Walker would train Rangers for Korea, be involved in the greatest artillery barrage of the Korean War, organize the POW exchange , train Korean troops, be the front man during the Straits of Taiwan Crisis and be involved in the creation of the Army's Special Forces units (Green Berets).

John I have spent a great deal of time studing General Walker. He has all the indicators of Military Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence written all over his career but somehow the only information that is easily attainable about him is his "right wing" activities, WHY?

Was there a purpose in the exchange of letters between McCloy and Walker in June of 1963 or is this just a coincidence? Is it a coincidence that not one Warren Commissioner wanted to question the man who, according to the Warren Report, survived an attack by Lee Harvey Oswald (today it would be considered absurd that those tasked with the investigation of a murder would not bother to question a surviving victim themselves nor would they investigate there past to find possible motives for that attack)? Why was Jack Ruby so affraid of General Edwin Anderson Walker? Is it a coincidence that during WWII Col. Walker did at least two specific missions that John J. McCloy took a personal interest in? Why did General Maxwell Taylor appoint Walker to command two of the four crisis he faces as Chief of Staff of the Army? I have many additional questions that have led to some interesting discoveries.

Jim: "1945 Commander, Task Force A, Oslo (Norway)"

Jim, do you know if it's possible to know which of the 474th Walker took with him to Norway were?

Is it also possible to know the names, and where from, the Germans who passed through?

The 474th was primarily made up of the American survivors of the First Special Services Force and the 99th Battalion Seperate. Survivors of some Ranger units were combined as well although many of them went to airborne units also.

I have had some lists in the past (from when I was contacting former members of the Force, but have misplaced them.The FSSF still has an association and can identify unit members. The 99th is very interesting. It two was formed for the invasion of Norway (as was the FSSF) and was made up of mostly Norwegian speaking Americans. Over 100 members of the 99th became OSS and future CIA agents including William Colby. I have been to Camp Ripley, Minnesota, where they have a museum for the 99th, and researched various aspects of this unit.

Be happy to answer other questions

Jim Root

Thank you Jim,

The reason I asked about Walker -Willoughby is because the past page timeline was

"Education: Schreiner Insitute;

1925-1927 New Mexico Military Institute;

1927-1931 US Military Academy, West Point;

1937 Field Artillery School;

1946 Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth;

1948 Air War College

1931 commissioned, Field Artillery

1932-1933 Battery Officer, 15th Field Artillery (Fort Sam Houston, Tex.)

1934-1936 Battery Officer, 16th Field Artillery Battalion (Fort Myer, Va.); US Army polo team

1936-1939 Battery Executive Officer, 18th Field Artillery Regiment (Fort Sill, Okl.)

1939-1941 Battery Commander, 2nd Battalion, 13th Field Artillery Regiment (Schofield Barracks, T.H.)

1942-1943 Artillery Battalion Commander, 4th Infantry Division (Camp Gordon, Ga.) & 83rd Infantry Division (Camp Atterbury, Ind.) & 2nd Cavalry Division (Fort Clark, Tex.)

1943-06.1944 Commanding Officer, 3rd Regiment, 1st Special Service Force (Aleutins, Italy)

06.1944-12.1944 Commander, 1st Special Service Force (Italy, France, Germany) 1944-1945 Commanding Officer, 474th Infantry Regiment (Germany)

1945 Commander, Task Force A, Oslo (Norway)

1946-1947 Executive, Assistent Director Combined Arms Department Field Artillery School, (Fort Sill, Okl.)

1948-1949 Staff Officer, Office of the Chief of Staff (Washington, DC)

1949-1950 Secretary, General Staff, 4th Army (Fort Sam Houston) "

which lead me to wonder if there is a misprint here. Which could place W and W together.

My understanding is that Walker attempted to resign after little rock incident.

Edited by John Dolva

John

I do have a much more extensive outline of Walker's military career with exact dates of his military movements between 1927 and 1950. After 1950 it is a little more sketchy with some interesting ommissions that I have been able to fill in while researching other areas of his life. Filling in the detail has provided a panaramic view of this multi-demntional character that should more than spark the interest of any serious Kennedy assassination buff.

I continue to ask the question, "Why has Edwin Anderson Walker's life been so neglected when his backround offers so much insight into the inner workings of the military command structure during the Cold War.?"

Jim Root

I agree it's an interesting question.

AFAIK he was re-assigned to Hawaiii in may 61, and resigned 6 months later in early november 61.

Researching Walker from over here is most difficult, but I'll keep plugging away. I think too it's curious how difficult it is to get clear answers to some periods of his life. Many I have I get here from you.

I see a patriot who appears to be disintegrating for SOME reason from the mid 50's.

The Italian period could hold answers in the 'debacles' his superiors presided over. He obviously participated and did his job. What extra dimensions to that job was (if any) may lie in MI.

Jim, what if anything do you make of this?

1941 - Walker was taken out of Pearl Harbor, by plane, just days before Dec. 7, 1941 and was stationed in conjuction with the American Signals Intelligence Listening Post in Hawaii.

1961 - Walker was reassigned from Germany to Hawaii after disobeying Presidential orders.

John

The November departure of Walker from Hawaii is of interest because it coincides with the Magic intercepts that suggested Japan would attack somewhere in the Pacific within weeks. The "Big Show" was going to be Europe, that had already been decided and many in the War Plans Division were going into files looking for those soldiers that could be depended upon for specific reasons and missions. Maxwell Taylor had been choosen to be one of (I believe it was) seven personal aides to General Marshall. In this capacity Taylor had a great deal of "pull" to place men into positions of importance.

It was not the first time that Walker had and was to be moved from an assignment (this time Hawaii) out of sequence for a normal rotation. In fact throughout the career of Walker these out of sequence movements seem to be the norm. The other interesting part is where he moves to, usually very interesting locations and at very interesting times (for example his move to command of the 24th Infantry Division in October of 1959 when the normal command rotation was (drawing from memory once again) a January move. These movements also seem to coincide with major events when compared with the hindsight of History.

In Hawaii Walker was stationed adjacent to Fort Shafter, the Hawaiian Magic intercept station and is (I like to use the word) "wisked" out of harms way days before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Walker spends time moving into several assignments of interest (and which I believe) display a certain consistancy with a man deeply involved in counter intelligence (very different than "regular" intelligence assignments). In fact his assignment in Hawaii "adjacent" to the listening post at Fort Shafter positioned Walker to spy on the spys collecting the intercepts. This thought is not out of the relm of possibility (I believe) if you look at the timming of his assignment to Fort Mommoth (which coincides with the first training classes for officers who would be overseeing the collection of Japanese Intercepts for William Friedman's team of cryptologist that included John Hurt.

While there are settleties to Walker's movemnts that lead up to his assignment to the First Special Services Force I will pass over that for now. If you focus on his posting with the FSSF you will find that it coincides with two events, the uncovering of some German spies within the Force and the assignment of the Force to the Kiska operation. Kiska was the location of what was identified as the most sophisticated radar installation that the Japanese had. The island was isolated (by the attack on Attu) and blockaded before Walker's 3rd Battalion of the FSSF would lead the assault to secure the beaches on Kiska befor the rest of the troops were landed. I have some photos of FSSF men using the radar antenea as a clothes line for their laundry, suggesting of course that they were encamped (guarding ) this site. John J. McCloy accompanied the US troops to Kiska. Compared to the raid on Dieppe (to capture a German radar unit) the mission on Kiska was nearly flawless but extremely important to the war effort. Walker was the man choosen to lead this mission of extreme importance to military intelligence, WHY?

Why Walker would return to Hawaii? I have speculated on that as well. If you dig into your history you will find that it coincides with the first group of twelve "Green Berets" (before they were Green Berets) being incerted (in civilian clothes) into Vietnam. That group had a stopover in Hawaii before that incertion. Walker would comment, in one of his final interviews, that the US Military Command wanted him to run the operation in Vietnam. Walker, if you believe the way history portrays him, was already out of the military before any buildup in Vietnam began. But the original incertion of a very small group of highly trained individuals (that had began their training while on a base that Walker was stationed at) could suggest that Walker was once again positioned to orchestrate another "Greek type" campaign, this time in Vietnam (remembering that Walker had run the Greek Desk at the Pentagon during the Greek Civil War). But, I believe, Oswald's return to the United States eliminated that possibility for those that had to provide plausible deniablity to the potental that Oswald could identify Walker (a US Military General) as the man who had helped Oswald to enter the Soviet Union and provide information that would lead to the downing of Francis Gary Powers and his U-2 spy plane (which privented the signing of the Limited Test Ban Treaty at the Paris Summit, something that John J. McCloy wanted stoped).

What a tangled web we weave........And then McCloy would pen a letter to Walker, five months before the assassination of John F. Kennedy (and two months after Lee Harvey Oswald had alledgedly shot at Walker), in which McCloy would write about a man named Sylvanius Thayer. Coincidentely, in the life of Sylvanius Thayer the date November 22nd is significant. That date would play a major role in Thayer's life and in the creation of a professional military in America.

Jim Root

Edited by Jim Root

• 1 year later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_in_May

Screenplay:

Rod Serling

Seven Days in May is a political thriller novel written by Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey II and published in 1962. The novel was made into a motion picture in 1964, with screenplay by Rod Serling, directed by John Frankenheimer, and starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. The story is said to have been influenced by the right-wing anti-Communist political activities of General Edwin A. Walker after he retired from the military. The author, Knebel, got the idea for the book after interviewing then Air Force Chief of Staff Curtis LeMay.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058576/quotes

Christopher Todd: That could easily mean another place. These military games... why, the multiplicity of our secret bases confuses ourselves more than the Soviets.

[Watching the bar girl rummage through her purse]

Senator Raymond Clark: Do you rent space in that thing?

Senator Frederick Prentice: You make me think that fruit salad on your chest is for neutrality, evasiveness, and fence-straddling.

Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey: On the contrary, Senator, they're standard awards for cocktail courage and dinner-table heroism. I thought you'd invented them.

Colonel William "Mutt" Henderson: We seem to spend more time training for seizure than for prevention, like the Commies already had the stuff, and we had to get it back.

Eleanor "Ellie" Holbrook: I'll make you two promises: a very good steak, medium rare, and the truth, which is very rare.

General James Mattoon Scott: And if you want to talk about your oath of office, I'm here to tell you face to face, President Lyman, that you violated that oath when you stripped this country of its muscles - when you deliberately played upon the fear and fatigue of the people and told them they could remove that fear by the stroke of a pen. And then when this nation rejected you, lost faith in you, and began militantly to oppose you, you violated that oath by not resigning from office and turning the country over to someone who could represent the people of the United States.

President Jordan Lyman: And that would be General James Mattoon Scott, would it? I don't know whether to laugh at that kind of megalomania, or simply cry.

General James Mattoon Scott: James Mattoon Scott, as you put it, hasn't the slightest interest in his own glorification. But he does have an abiding interest in the survival of this country.

President Jordan Lyman: Then, by God, run for office. You have such a fervent, passionate, evangelical faith in this country - why in the name of God don't you have any faith in the system of government you're so hell-bent to protect?

President Jordan Lyman: All right, Colonel. Let's sum it up, shall we? You're suggesting what?

Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey: I'm not sure, Mr. President: just some possibilities, what we call, uh "capabilities" in military intelligence...

President Jordan Lyman: You got something against the English language, Colonel?

Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey: No, sir.

President Jordan Lyman: Then speak it plainly, if you will.

Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey: I'm suggesting, Mr. President, there's a military plot to take over the government. This may occur some time this coming Sunday.

President Jordan Lyman: The next step should be to your liking, Chris. Esther, call the Pentagon. Tell General Scott I want to see him right away.

Esther Townsend: [on intercom] Yes, sir.

Christopher Todd: I think it's time we faced the enemy, Mr. President.

President Jordan Lyman: He's not the enemy. Scott, the Joint Chiefs, even the very emotional, very illogical lunatic fringe: they're not the enemy. The enemy's an age - a nuclear age. It happens to have killed man's faith in his ability to influence what happens to him. And out of this comes a sickness, and out of sickness a frustration, a feeling of impotence, helplessness, weakness. And from this, this desperation, we look for a champion in red, white, and blue. Every now and then a man on a white horse rides by, and we appoint him to be our personal god for the duration. For some men it was a Senator McCarthy, for others it was a General Walker, and now it's a General Scott.

Senator Raymond Clark: Ah, don't get your nanny up; you knew there'd be some dislocations. You can't gear a country's economy for war for 20 years, then suddenly slam on the brakes and expect the whole transition to go like grease through a goose. Hmph. Doesn't work out like that. And think how the whole psychology of the thing's been screwed up from the outset. We've been hating the Russians for a quarter of a century. Suddenly we sign a treaty that says in two months they're to dismantle their bombs, we're to dismantle ours, and we all ride to a peaceful glory. This country will probably live as if peace were just as big a threat as war.

President Jordan Lyman: Dammit, Ray, we could've had our paradise. Yes, by God, we could've had full employment, whopping Gross National Product, nice cushy feeling that we've got a bomb for every one of theirs. But just as sure as God made the state of Georgia, there'd've come one day when they'd've blown us up, or we'd've blown them up. My doctor worries about my blood pressure. You know who that gentleman is down there with the black box. There are five of them... you know that one of them sits outside my bedroom at night? You know what he carries in that box: the codes. The codes by which I, Jordan Lyman, can give the orders sending us into a nuclear war. Instead of my blood pressure, Horace should worry about my sanity.

Senator Raymond Clark: All you've got to know is this: right now the government of the United States is sitting on top of the Washington Monument, right on the very point, tilting right and left and ready to fall off and break up on the pavement. There are just a handful of men that can prevent it. And you're one of them.

Senator Raymond Clark: You stay put right here... I'm going to phone the White House. Tell you what, friend: when this is over you can take off your girdle and have yourself a real good cry. Say, uh, you got a dime to stop a revolution with?

General James Mattoon Scott: I think the signing of a nuclear disarmament pact with the Soviet Union is at best an act of naÔvetÈ, and at worst an unsupportable negligence. We've stayed alive because we've built up an arsenal, and we've kept the peace because we've dealt with an enemy who knew we would use that arsenal. And now we're asked to believe that a piece of paper will take the place of missile sites and Polaris submarines, and that an enemy who hasn't honored one solemn treaty in the history of its existence will now, for our convenience, do precisely that. I have strong doubts, gentlemen.

Senator Frederick Prentice: Ah, it's as simple as this: the President trusts Russia, and the American people don't. The people don't believe the Russians're going to take those bombs apart on July 1st, and neither do I.

Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey: Yes, I know who Judas was. He was a man I worked for and admired until he disgraced the four stars on his uniform.

President Jordan Lyman: I know what Scott's attitude on the treaty is, what's yours?

Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey: I agree with General Scott, sir. I think we're being played for suckers. I think it's really your business. Yours and the Senate. You did it, and they agreed so, well, I don't see how we in the military can question it. I mean we can question it, but we can't fight it. We shouldn't, anyway.

President Jordan Lyman: Jiggs, isn't it? Isn't that what they call you?

Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey: Yes sir.

President Jordan Lyman: So you, ah, you stand by the Constitution, Jiggs?

Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey: I never thought of it just like that, Mr. President, but, well, that's what we got and I guess it's worked pretty well so far. I sure don't want to be the one to say we ought to change it.

President Jordan Lyman: Neither do I.

President Jordan Lyman: [introducing his dog Trimmer to Col. Casey] Trimmer is a very political dog. He doesn't have many principles, but he's loyal to his friends.

Paul Girard: Admiral, I understand you're not much of a betting man.

Vice-Adm. Farley C. Barnswell: It depends on the game.

Paul Girard: Hmm. What is your pleasure... poker... roulette... what?

Vice-Adm. Farley C. Barnswell: No, those are house games. I don't much care for the odds.

Paul Girard: What about horse racing?

Vice-Adm. Farley C. Barnswell: On occasion... it depends on the race... sometimes the weather... and the horse does make the difference.

Paul Girard: Hmm. That's true, that's true. What about the Preakness? Have you got anything good going there?

Vice-Adm. Farley C. Barnswell: [Adm. Barnswell senses that Girard knows about the takeover plot] I only bet on sure things.

Paul Girard: Admiral, you're a very lucky sailor. That's exactly what I've got for you: a sure thing.

Vice-Adm. Farley C. Barnswell: What is the bet, Mr. Girard?

Paul Girard: The bet is that there are members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who are involved in treason. We know who they are, we know the essence of the plan. Now from you, Admiral, I want a signed statement indicating at what moment you first heard of this operation and your complicity in this entire matter.

Vice-Adm. Farley C. Barnswell: Frankly, I wish I had more time.

Paul Girard: [sarcastically] I wish you did too, Admiral.

[tosses him a pen to write the statement]

Paul Girard: Unfortunately, you don't.

[last lines]

<A href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0545298/">President Jordan Lyman: [to reporters at a televised press conference] There's been abroad in this land in recent months a whisper that we have somehow lost our greatness, that we do not have the strength to win without war the struggles for liberty throughout the world. This is slander, because our country is strong, strong enough to be a peacemaker. It is proud, proud enough to be patient. The whisperers and the detractors, the violent men are wrong. We will remain strong and proud, peaceful and patient, and we will see a day when on this earth all men will walk out of the long tunnels of tyranny into the bright sunshine of freedom.

[president exits; reporters stand and applaud]

Announcer: Ladies and gentlemen, that was the President of the United States.

Check out these words of JFK on the book Seven Days in May. They were uttered after the Bay of Pigs but before the Cuban Missile Crisis:

From JFK and the Unspeakable by James W. Douglass

.... JFK said he would read the book. Hed did so that night. The next day

Kennedy discussed with his friends the possibility of thier seeing such a

coup in the United States. Consider that he said these words after the failed

Bay of Pigs invasion and before the Cuban Missile Crisis:

'It's possible. It could happen in this country, but the conditions would

have to be just right. If, for example, the country had a young President,

and he had a Bay of Pigs, there would be a certain unseasiness. Maybe

the military would do a little criticizing behind his back, but this would be

written of as the ususal military dissatisfaction with civilian control. Then

if there were another Bay of Pigs, the reaction of the country would be,

'Is he too young and inexperienced?' The military would almost feel that

it was their patriotic obligation to stand ready to preserve the integrity of

the nation, an only God knows just what segment of democracy they

would be defending if they overthrew the elected establishment'

Pausing a moment, he went on, "Then, if there were a third Bay of Pigs

it could happen.' Waiting again until his listeners absorbed his meaning,

he concluded the an old Navy phrase, "But it won't happen on my watch."

On another occasion Kennedy said of the novel's plot about a few military

commanders taking over the country, 'I know a couple who might wish

they could.' The statement is cited by biographer Theodore Sorenson

as a joke. However, John Kennedy used humor in pointe ways, and

Sorenson's preceding sentence is not a joke: "Communications between

Chiefs of Staff and their Commander in Chif remained unsatisfactory for

a large part of his term."

Director John Frankenheimer was encouraged by President Kennedy to

film Seven Days In May 'as a warning to the republic.' Frankenheimer

said, 'The Pentagon didn't want it done. Kennedy said that when we

wanted to shoot at the Chite House he would conveniently go to

Hyannis Port that weekend. (JFK and the Unspeakable, pp12,13)

Now cut to Douglass overview of the Bay of pigs:

Four decades after the Bay of Pigs, we have learned that the CIA

scenario to trap Kennedy was more concrete than Dulles admitted

in his handwritten notes. A conference on the Bay of Pigs was held

in Cuba March 23-25, 2001, which included 'ex-CIA operatives, retired

military commanders, scholars, and journalists.' News analyst Daniel

Schorr reported on National Public Radio that 'from the many hours of

talk and heaps of decassified secret documents' he had gained one

new perception on the Bay of Pigs:

'It was that the CIA overlords of the invasion, director Allen Dulles and

deputy Richard Bissell, had their own plan of how to bring the United

States into the conflict. It appears that they never really expected an

uprising agaist Castro when the liberators landed as described in their

memos to the White House. What they did expect was that the invaders

would establish and secure a beachhead, announce the creation of a

counterrevolutionary governemnt and appeal for aid from the United

States and the Organization of American States. The assumption was

that President Kennedy, who had emphatically banned direct American

involvement, would be forced by pubic opinion to come to the aid of the

returning patriots. American forces, probably Marines, would come in

to expand the beachhead.

' In effect, President Kennedy was the target of a CIA covert operation

that collapsed when the invasion collapsed' (JFK and the Unspeakable:

Why He Died and Why It Matters, p. 14-15)

• 4 months later...

Today is the running of the Preakness horse race.

In Seven Days in May, a betting pool on the Preakness is used by the Joint Chiefs of Staff as a code cover for the coup.

I think that the code cover for the Dealey Plaza operation was "Contingency Plans for a Coup in Cuba."

When reading Ultimate Sac or Legacy of Secrecy, in which they discuss the "Contingency Plans for a Coup in Cuba," or reading the real documents, if you substitute at Dealey Plaza in place of "in Cuba" then it all fits in rather nicely.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

I believe that Edwin Walker was a GREAT war hero

"I have found nothing in his character/ military career that leads me to believe anything else until his "Pro Blue Program."

1957-1959 Commanding General, Arkansas Military District (Little Rock) -

During which time he was ordered, against his will, in fact he resigned but the resignation was rejected, to integrate Little Rock school.

1962-Pres. John Kennedy and Atty. Gen. Robert Kennedy had waged a bitter battle from Sept. 30 to Oct. 3, 1962, at the University of Mississippi. The integration of one Black student brought in the U.S. Army and caused Gen. Edwin Walker to be confined. He was an insurrectonist who responded to a call to arms to prevent desegregation i Oxford Mississippi. He led the insurrection personally.

"Yes, I believe that Edwin Walker was a GREAT war hero and my research leads me to believe a "patsy" himself. He may well be the ideal Professional Soldier that follows orders, without question, and is willing to sacriface his life in the line of duty for his country without question"

-No, he resigned twice because he did not want to follow orders and in both cases an indication of his Right Wing stance. In the end he was an insurrectionist.

After his (final) resignation he became for many the mythical 'white knight on a horse' that would lead the white race to supremacy.

"How did the German newspaper get his telephone number at the Captain Shreve Hotel to call him at exactly 7:00 AM?

The answer to this question will never be known, but I think it is highly possible that Walker made the arrangements to speak with the German newspaper that broke the story..."

I think this can be known. -the phonecall: Munich, Germany, was to the Nazi newspaper Deutsche National Zeitung un Soldaten-Zeitung.

"Gerhard Frey: publisher of the Neo-Nazi Deutsche National-Zeitung und Soldaten-Zeitung.

Ally of Maj. Gen Willoughby/Weidenbach, Theodor Oberlander, was the German commander of the Ukraine's Nightingales during the war and wrote for Frey's newspaper".

A number of the Ukranian death squads were brought to New Jersey with the help of such as Willoughby.

"General Edwin Walker and the Hitler Nazis.: The Eagle's Nest, now a mountain restaurant, was given to Adolf Hitler by nazi aide Martin Bormann for the fuhrer's 50th birthday. It is not far from Hitler's former summer home in Berchtesgaden.Nearby is the Platterhof Hotel, built for guests when they came to pay their respects.

The Platterhof has changed its name to the General Walker Hotel."

There are important questions about the leadership of General Mark Wayne Clark ( Gen. Walkers superior officer) during World War II.

"was the youngest officer to become lieutenant-general in 1943, and was given command of the US Fifth Army shortly before the Salerno landings in Italy in September 1943. In December 1944 he assumed command of the 15th Army Group, putting him in command of all Allied ground troops in Italy. His conduct of operations remains controversial, particularly the attack on Monte Cassino, the slow progress of conquering Italy, and the failure to entrap and capture German units during the Battle of the Winter Line, when Clark sent his units towards Rome, in an attempt to be the first to enter the city, rather than to exploit a gap in the German positions. As a result of Clark's actions, the Gothic Line was not broken for another year, and the provisional governments and safe areas which the Allies had encouraged the Italian Partisans to set up were smashed by the German Army, at great loss to the partisans."

(Here one should consider the roles of JJ Angleton.)

At the war's end Clark was Commander of Allied Forces in Italy and, later, U.S. High Commissioner of Austria. Returning home, he commanded the U.S. Sixth Army."

"In 1954, he had been appointed by former President Herbert Hoover to chair a task force to investigate the Central Intelligence Agency and other intelligence organizations of the U.S. government...and spoke frequently on the threat of Communism and the need for greater U.S. military preparedness. In the 1960s, he renewed the friendship with Eisenhower that had been strained during the Korean War"

a curiosity from 1961 Clarion Ledger (image)a Robert Oswald versus Gen. Walker on "the youth of America"

Walker supposedly passed out John Birch literature to his troops and urged them to vote for strong "anti-Communist" political candidates. It was considered

to be a violation of some sort of "political indoctrination" rules in the Army. This is all from memory right now. Part of the Gerhard Frey, Theodore Oberlander nexus of characters was none other than Yaroslaw Stetsko a turncoat Ukrainian who led The Nightingales in a Nazi Uniform against his native countrymen. Stetsko later showed up on the Anti-Bolshevik Nations Committees with Walker, Willoughby and... none other than Spas T. Raikin who greeted the Oswalds when they came back from Russia purportedly as part of his role with the "Traveler's Aid Society". Yeah, right. Both Stetsko and his wife, Slava Stetsko, were later part of the World Anti-Communist League and various Captive Nations organizations. Try spellings like Stetzko and Stetsko on Google to see what you can find. Yaroslaw, in Lvov, Ukraine, led the extinction of 6,000 Jews in that city's ghetto in maybe 1941 or 1942. I think Gerhard Frey was part of IntNelson Bunker Hunt's Intl Comm for the Defense of Christian Culture or a comparable org. Frey also attended E. Howard Hunt's World anti-Communist Conference for Freedom and Liberty in Mexico City in 1958 (WACCFL) as the delegate from the Ukraine. Bottom line is that Walker had more in common with unrepentant Nazis, racists, anti-Semites and leaders of Jewish pogroms than he did with Democracy or the American Military. You might want to reconsider your opinion of Walker after doing a little more digging. His resignation was more because of the fact that he "hung out with unrepentant Nazis" but all they could get him on was "political indoctrination" rules violations. Overall both Stetsko, Frey, Raikin and Walker were as thick as thieves with a large nexus of Fascists and Nazis who were later nvolved with the JFK plot.

Hunt was as much a Nazi as any of them. I was a bit surprised to see you take the position of mollifying Walker's extremist anti-Democracy positions.

Edited by John Bevilaqua

In Seven Days in May, a betting pool on the Preakness is used by the Joint Chiefs of Staff as a code cover for the coup.

I think that the code cover for the Dealey Plaza operation was "Contingency Plans for a Coup in Cuba."

When reading Ultimate Sac or Legacy of Secrecy, in which they discuss the "Contingency Plans for a Coup in Cuba," or reading the real documents, if you substitute at Dealey Plaza in place of "in Cuba" then it all fits in rather nicely.

BK

John, I'm not. Perhaps you are reading Jim's posts as mine? Maybe not. Please indicate where you think I take a mollifying stance.

IMO Walker was not peripheral at all. Not only did he have a virulent anti-communist stance but also a staunch segregationist. This put him in a very useful position. JFK's death meant that JFK's 1963 civil rights bill was compromised by removing important sections, and after the passing of the act, plus KKK H. Black supreme court constitutional interpretations, índividual 'was' redefined to encompass groupings, so that various educational establishment were able to delay integration for some time under cover of the rights of individuals as per association, and then LBJ shuffled a vigorous civil rights implementation bodies into one and off to the side and the rollback/stalling continued.

I think If Kennedy had lived, a very different CR bill would have passed and it would have had a solid backing from the administration even to the point of other ''oxfords''.

As Kennedy said 'the time of waiting is over', his death prolongs it.

BK