The Education Forum

Video from Bethesda

I've posted in previous threads about a (false?) memory I have of watching live TV coverage of the arrival of the Dallas casket at Bethesda.

This video was brought to my attention by Trygve Jensen. I’m posting it for any comments.

It’s from a longer video called JFK: A Century in the Making, produced by Viasat Nature, a 24-hour channel headquartered in London and broadcasting in Nordic and Baltic countries.

The beginning purports to show the arrival of the motorcade with the Dallas casket at Bethesda. But if that’s really what it is, where is the rest of the footage? The vehicles aren’t even at the building yet. Also, according to my (false?) memory of the televised arrival, the ambulance drove up in front of the hospital from left to right, not from right to left.

Footage near the end shows what is apparently the departure of the gray Navy ambulance, with Greer driving, from Bethesda after the autopsy. Which raises the question of why there is video of the ambulance’s departure but not of its arrival, since the arrival was certainly anticipated and therefore witnessed by a large crowd at the scene.

1 hour ago, Paz Marverde said:

Ron,

thank you very much for this. So, it seems you believe something was altered 

Well, no one thinks I saw what I think I saw on TV in 1963. If I did see what I think I saw, then I think something has been destroyed. If I didn't see what I think I saw, then I guess what has been destroyed is a few brain cells.

For whatever it is worth, - and if of interest to anyone.

Documentaries are given multiple titles . This one I found, - titled as "Inside JFK's Assassination" (2013) - directed by Patrick Jeudy.

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-JFKs-Assassination-Patrick-Jeudy/dp/B079C86SYN

I was not able to order it,- (one can watch it at this link through Prime).

One version is uploaded to Youtube, - but it is taken from a Turkish broadcast on Viasat. A language I do not speak.

---------------------------------------------

It seems Jeudy  is quite skilled in his craft.

Making it more challenging ( at least for me ) - with a 100% certainty , - to know what is actual real footage from the day of the assassination, - and what is not. The filmmaker(s) add sound to known footage.  What caught my interest was (seemingly) real footage from Parkland, from Bethesda, and elsewhere. Which I had never seen before, anywhere.

First I noticed a very short segment, which at first, seemed interesting, - but it just can not have been recorded at Nov 22nd. The Stemmons sign, seems gone, - the lighting seems off, - and the camera seems to zoom. Still do not know the source of it.

--------------------------

Many questions pop into mind, when watching this documentary, - but for all I know, - they have been answered long ago here.

The priest being interviewed at Parkland (at 16m45s) (maybe it is included in "The Lost Tapes"), ------- the (what seems like a) person lying on the floor at the left wall, outside the door. Etc. etc.

The above posted footage, - at least the segment, when the hearse leaves Bethesda, - seems genuine. Robert McNamara, and William Greer is identifiable. - But for all I know, - it could be filmed at a different location, - but where in the world could that , if so, be ? At least I personally found it interesting.

The end - credits show the sources used in the production. Some of them , I had not heard of before.

Trygve,

Thanks for posting that. I don't understand French and can't tell what is arriving at Bethesda and what is arriving at the White House. And it still doesn't include what I (falsely?) remember seeing on live TV, which was the ambulance with the casket arriving in front of the hospital and sitting there for 12 minutes, until (as best I "falsely" remember) a military officer got in and drove it away. A possible reason why that footage is not included (if I saw it) is that it was destroyed (to avoid questions of why the casket sat there unattended for 12 minutes). But at this point I don't think I will ever know.

13 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Trygve,

Thanks for posting that. I don't understand French and can't tell what is arriving at Bethesda and what is arriving at the White House. And it still doesn't include what I (falsely?) remember seeing on live TV, which was the ambulance with the casket arriving in front of the hospital and sitting there for 12 minutes, until (as best I "falsely" remember) a military officer got in and drove it away. A possible reason why that footage is not included (if I saw it) is that it was destroyed (to avoid questions of why the casket sat there unattended for 12 minutes). But at this point I don't think I will ever know.

Ron,

for what I know on how memory works about fundamental moments in History, I'm incline to believe what you remember is what happened 

7 minutes ago, Paz Marverde said:

I'm incline to believe what you remember is what happened 

Paz,

There's no doubt that what I remember is what happened. The question is, did I see it happen on TV. And I think I did. I just can't find anyone who saw it too or who knows someone who saw it too. I think I remember it because it's not the kind of thing you forget, and not because it's something that my mind created over the years. But again, it looks like I'll never know.

2 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Paz,

There's no doubt that what I remember is what happened. The question is, did I see it happen on TV. And I think I did. I just can't find anyone who saw it too or who knows someone who saw it too. I think I remember it because it's not the kind of thing you forget, and not because it's something that my mind created over the years. But again, it looks like I'll never know.

What I meant before – sorry my English is not good enough to say it in a clear way – is I'm incline to believe there was a TV show showing what you did 

1 minute ago, Paz Marverde said:

What I meant before – sorry my English is not good enough to say it in a clear way – is I'm incline to believe there was a TV show showing what you did 

Thanks. But the only way to know is to find other people who saw it. There are plenty who would still be living but I don't know how to find them.

Through Facebook (which I joined strictly for this purpose) I contacted three people who either wrote about watching TV that night or were quoted in articles as watching it. I asked them what live events they specifically remember seeing that night. Two of them replied that they couldn't remember (one of them was 10 years old at the time), though I think one mentioned Andrews AFB, and the third one didn't respond. 

BTW I'm now cancelling Facebook (it takes 14 days to do it!) because I got sick and tired of getting constant email notifications about messages I read days ago. Lord knows I get enough junk email as it is.

3 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Trygve,

Thanks goes not to me, but to Denis Morissette, - who provided the link yesterday. To what he himself uploaded some months ago.

It is (at least in part) from the same source; the documentary by Patrick Jeudy. But it includes more (if just a little bit) from the arrival, or the moments beforehand.

Even if not including what you remember seeing.

If not anything else, - it would seem it at least is confirmation, that some of it was indeed filmed. By someone. Whether it aired on TV or not.

It seems somewhat chronological, - so the end - part , would be the arrival at the White House, - where you see they carry the casket up the stairs.

As said, - the documentary lists its sources, - including films/footage, I can not remember having heard of before. And by including this footage in the production - process , - who knows if there is segments left out. Or not.

58 minutes ago, Paz Marverde said:

You can disable email notifications via Facebook preferences 

Some but not all, I think. Doesn't matter, I'm through with that experiment.

1 hour ago, Trygve V. Jensen said:

who knows if there is segments left out. Or not.

True, but it doesn't make sense that they would leave out the ambulance in front of the hospital with Jackie and the others getting out, if such footage was available. Far more interesting than showing two unidentified women and McNamara (?) get into a car later while the ambulance is leaving.

Yes, of course.

I just meant in general, - the footage from Bethesda. What the source is. Who filmed it. And if something ( even if less interesting ) , is excluded .

If it had contained what you describe, - it would have been included in the documentary. And for that matter, be more known by now, - given its importance.

And if your recollection of seeing it,  is correct, - then perhaps this source/footage , once did contain it. At some point. Or there are / were multiple sources . Several films.

Edited by Trygve V. Jensen

7 minutes ago, Trygve V. Jensen said:

Yes, of course.

I just meant in general, - the footage from Bethesda. What the source is. Who filmed it. And if something ( even if less interesting ) , is excluded .

If it had contained what you describe, - it would have been included in the documentary. And for that matter, be more known by now, - given its importance.

And if your recollection of seeing it,  is correct, - then perhaps this source/footage , once did contain it. At some point. Or there are / were multiple sources . Several films.

Are you or anyone able to tell if the Bethesda footage was filmed with a TV camera or a  home movie camera like Zapruder's? I wouldn't know the difference.

I remember Gary Mack saying that TV cameras in those days were too bulky to have been taken to Bethesda, hence no TV coverage. Sounded lame to me, since TV cameras were sure taken to a lot of other places back in those primitive days.