The Education Forum

Aware that 3 CIA agents executed in Cuba on Aug 16 1963?

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2018/124-10325-10316.pdf

This is a FBI MEMO about the CIA relations with Cuba...

June 10, 1963 was the American University Speech yet the CIA continues to poke at Cuba with these operations all thru the summer of 1963....

These three were trying to get into Cuba with arms, secret writing materials and "instructions from the CIA...."

These would have been given the ok by W. Harvey?

3 hours ago, David Josephs said:

June 10, 1963 was the American University Speech yet the CIA continues to poke at Cuba with these operations all thru the summer of 1963....

These three were trying to get into Cuba with arms, secret writing materials and "instructions from the CIA...."

Was he still head of ZRRIFLE at the time?  If not him Morales as head of covert operations out of JMWAVE by then (?).  Operatives sacrificed with little/no hope of success?  I'd guess JFK or RFK were not informed in advance, or afterward.

There's an article about their execution in the Sandusky Register of Sandusky, Ohio, but you have to register for a free trial.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/20110431/

I think Fitzgerald was running that at that time.

11 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Thank you very much for this, David 

6 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

There's an article about their execution in the Sandusky Register of Sandusky, Ohio, but you have to register for a free trial.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/20110431/

Thank you, Ron. Here it is the article's content:

Firing Squad Executes 3 'U.S. Agents' • HAVANA (AP) - Cuban authorities announced today the execution of three men officially described as agents of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. A firing squad was reported to have shot down Rolando Mateos Paz, Manuel Marrero Castillo and his brother Francisco Marrero Castillo at dawn Friday in Las Villas province, in central Cuba. The site of the execution was not specified. In Washington, the State Department declined to comment. There also was no comment from the CIA. The announcement, carried by the Havana press and radio, said «revolutionary court convicted the three of being members of an infiltration group that landed in Cuba July 22 carrying CIA istructions on sabotage. The evidence was said to include these instructions, plus arms, ammunition and money seized from the group.

Edited by Paz Marverde

Thanks, Paz.

I guess they called it "sabotage" back then because the word "terrorism" wasn't yet in popular use. I don't recall hearing the word before the 1972 Munich Olympics.

39 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Thanks, Paz.

I guess they called it "sabotage" back then because the word "terrorism" wasn't yet in popular use. I don't recall hearing the word before the 1972 Munich Olympics.

I do thank you, Ron. Yes, I agree with you 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:43 AM, James DiEugenio said:

I think Fitzgerald was running that at that time.

Hi Jim.  I don't know much about Dez Fitzgerald.  I think I've read he was a trusted experienced east coast establishment power elite CIA operative who was in charge of JMWAVE at the time.  But I've also read he may have been out of the loop regarding any assassination attempt.  Then that Morales was promoted in early - mid 63 regarding clandestine/covert operations.  Just curious about your thoughts on any of this.

After Harvey got kicked out of the USA due to his hijinks over the Missile Crisis, Helms then appointed Fitzgerald to run the whole Cuba thing, including cover ops.

I have never seen any evidence that:

1.) Fitzgerald had any personal animus toward JFK or RFK, as opposed to the plenty of evidence in that regard with Dulles, Harvey and Phillips.

2.) Neither have I noted any evidence for his involvement in the JFK assassination.  But I think Bill Kelly would disagree with me on that due to his work on the Valkyrie Plot.

3.) Reportedly,  Fitzgerald wept when Oswald was shot by Ruby.  But there is a dispute about this, since Fitzgerald was involved with the AM/LASH plot and there was evidence that Cubela had been in contact with the Soviets in Mexico City.  (This story I think is traced to Evan Thomas, who--after watching him on that horrendous documentary American DynastiesThe Kennedys--I have come to believe is not that credible on the subject.)

4.) When LBJ took office, Fitzgerald and Helms wrote a report to him saying that in the second half of 1963, there had only been a half dozen raids into Cuba, and the entire force they could call upon for such things was about fifty commandos.  They concluded that this was so weak that it served no real strategic purpose, and they recommend abandoning it.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, James DiEugenio said:

After Harvey got kicked out of the USA due to his hijinks over the Missile Crisis, Helms then appointed Fitzgerald to run the whole Cuba thing, including cover ops.

I have never seen any evidence that:

1.) Fitzgerald had any personal animus toward JFK or RFK, as opposed to the plenty of evidence in that regard with Dulles, Harvey and Phillips.

2.) Neither have I noted any evidence for his involvement in the JFK assassination.  But I think Bill Kelly would disagree with me on that due to his work on the Valkyrie Plot.

3.) Reportedly,  Fitzgerald wept when Oswald was shot by Ruby.  But there is a dispute about this, since Fitzgerald was involved with the AM/LASH plot and there was evidence that Cubela had been in contact with the Soviets in Mexico City.  (This story I think is traced to Evan Thomas, who--after watching him on that horrendous documentary American DynastiesThe Kennedys--I have come to believe is not that credible on the subject.)

4.) When LBJ took office, Fitzgerald and Helms wrote a report to him saying that in the second half of 1963, there had only been a half dozen raids into Cuba, and the entire force they could call upon for such things was about fifty commandos.  They concluded that this was so weak that it served no real strategic purpose, and they recommend abandoning it.

Thank you for your response.  I thought I'd seen some sort of organizational chart for JMWAVE several years back in a book or on line and thought some of it might be updated in the last few years if not officially by anyone then by coalescence of what is known and a little new info.  Yep, too long of a sentence.  Forgive my grammar (Grief?).

Helms promoted Dez Fitzgearld to head of JMWAVE when Harvey was sent to Italy for insubordination/pissing off RFK.  Harvey was no longer technically in charge of ZRRIFLE, the Castro assassination project within the CIA the Kennedy's weren't aware of.

Then Helms promoted Joannides to run the DRE, reporting directly to him.

Yet El Indio, David Sanchez Morales was in charge of covert operations for JMWAVE.  IE, he technically worked for Dez Fitzgearld, and was the supervisor of Joannides.  But he was much more tight with David Altee Phillips and the pear, Harvey.  How deep go the connections between Angleton, Harvey, and Italy?

Didn't Harvey go fishing with Roselli off the coast of Florida in the spring of 63? isn't that documented?  Maybe Morales was there on the beach or at the hotel … Larry Hancock?

I appreciate criticism.