The Education Forum

American Values, Lessons I learned from My Family, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

16 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I am astounded at the lack of response here. 

Paul, hopefully your comments will stimulate a few more members on the forum to read the book on their own.  The only other way I know to promote it are the amazon reviews which are still shockingly and pitifully few with many shallow but all still positive.  I wish mine had been more eloquent and maybe a little more detailed  (under Ronnie Wayne).  If you've not done so please leave a kind word or two there.  My hope at one time was that a few people with greater weight to their name might do so, from Jim, Joseph McBride, Larry Hancock and others.  What the heck, maybe Oliver Stone or Jimmy Carter (I know he didn't like Ted for running against him).  You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

While the family insights and antidotes were fascinating I think the Values he mentions are equally if not more important.

Edited by Ron Bulman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you are up to 45 reviews and all are five star.  I tried to post one but it has not gone through yet.

How do you know Larry Fitzgerald?  Do you live in Phoenix?

14 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I am astounded at the lack of response here. 

Don't bawl me out yet, Paul, I'm kind-of poor so I ordered it from my local library. They have five copies and I'm now up to number one on their list. 

Edited by Tom Hume

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Well, you are up to 45 reviews and all are five star.  I tried to post one but it has not gone through yet.

How do you know Larry Fitzgerald?  Do you live in Phoenix?

Slip.  My apologies to Mr. Hancock, who has often been helpful and always courteous.  Football season is starting, I probably heard it recently.  Since there's no way to get the egg off my face, that's my story and I'm sticking  to it.

Though I've not read it yet I'd bet Mr. Kennedy appreciates your review since he relies on your words at points. 

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, Tom Hume said:

Don't bawl me out yet, Paul, I'm kind-of poor so I ordered it from my local library. They have five copies and I'm now up to number one on their list. 

Tom your comment is encouraging.  I don't know where you hail from but after the stonewalling by the main stream media I'm surprised a library has five copies.  That your on a list to read one of them is encouraging as well.  It means multiple people are reading it in one area.  I hope you enjoy and maybe learn something from it.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Paul:

Where are your priorities?

We have people posting stuff about Marilyn Monroe, Jimmy Hoffa, plus--drum build up please-- someone just got "the box from 1963", whatever the heck that means.

And you want to talk about the only member of the Kennedy family to ever write a book concerning the murders of his father and his uncle?  And the guy happens to be an accomplished attorney, who just helped defeat Monsanto for 290 million?

That's the real world.  

I wondered what you meant by "defeat Monsanto for 290 million".  I didn't remember seeing it on MSN.  He was pictured at the end in of a USA Today article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/10/jury-orders-monsanto-pay-289-million-cancer-patient-roundup-lawsuit/962297002/

Fighting for corporate responsibility, that's an American Value to be respected.  When he's rich enough he could sit on his ass and twiddle his thumbs or be off playing.

Then he founded this in 1966.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/ 

I have to say this.  I started this thread because I reached a point in the book where I had to put it down for the night.  After finding it enlightening, honest, straightforward, even inspiring, I had to put it down.  I don't worship the Kennedy's, they are a family, of people, with warts, as we all have.  But I knew the end of hope came on the next few pages.

Looking back on history in my lifetime, at a point in it I don't remember at age eleven, the picture of RFK on the floor of the kitchen of the Ambassador hotel, his head cradled by the busboy, that was the end of hope.

The new frontier lived three years.  RFK rekindled the flame five years later, for, three months (?).  But boy howdy did he.  He would have won.

I thought hope might have survived the first time I was able to vote, for Carter.  But that didn't work out, with help.  Then there was the dope from hope, who'd met JFk as a kid.

I just couldn't read that part that night.  So I put the book down and started this thread.  Buy it. Read it.  Think what you may, for yourself.

The part where he describes the train ride from NYC to Arlington is touching.

People from Resurrection City came over to pay their respects.

BTW, when RFK was killed, both Jackie Kennedy and Coretta King flew to LA from back east. (Jackie might have been in London)  They wanted to be on the plane that brought his body back.  Coretta had to be there.  Because RFK paid for the plane that took King's body from Memphis to Atlanta.  He then paid for the hotel rooms for the dignitaries who flew in for the funeral.

But to me that is not even the real test of how great he was.  The real indication is this.  We all know the great speech he made the night King died.  How that speech stopped Indianapolis from going up in smoke like a hundred cities did that night.  That was in the inner city and the police did not want him to go, but he did without protection.  Well after he made the arrangements for the King funeral, he remembered that he had told the organizers of the rally that he would talk to them after.  This was set before the news about King's murder.

Even after the tumult surrounding King's murder, at two in the morning, RFK kept his word and  went back to the site and met with those kids!!

Edited by James DiEugenio

13 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

The part where he describes the train ride from NYC to Arlington is touching.

People from Resurrection City came over to pay their respects.

BTW, when RFK was killed, both Jackie Kennedy and Coretta King flew to LA from back east. (Jackie might have been in London)  They wanted to be on the plane that brought his body back.  Coretta had to be there.  Because RFK paid for the plane that took King's body from Memphis to Atlanta.  He then paid for the hotel rooms for the dignitaries who flew in for the funeral.

But to me that is not even the real test of how great he was.  The real indication is this.  We all know the great speech he made the night King died.  How that speech stopped Indianapolis from going up in smoke like a hundred cities did that night.  That was in the inner city and the police did not want him to go, but he did without protection.  Well after he made the arrangements for the King funeral, he remembered that he had told the organizers of the rally that he would talk to them after.  This was set before the news about King's murder.

Even after the tumult surrounding King's murder, at two in the morning, RFK kept his word and  went back to the site and met with those kids!!

I so much agree Jim. 

In this book RFK jr. breaks the myth of the power hungry Kennedy family, and replaces it with his own inside view of a family imbued with idealism. 

Power hungry?

I am sure we all know that Jackie Kennedy did not want RFK to run in 1968.

Like Cassandra, she had a premonition of what would happen.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I can’t wait to read American Values.  It is next on my reading list.  Thanks to Jim Di for making available on kennedysandking.com Edward Curtin’s fine review of it.  I’ve been convinced for decades that the war between the Kennedy administration and the CIA resulted directly in JFK’s death. My guess is that the same formula resulted in RFK’s death. The truth has always been right in front of our faces, even as the NY Times columnist sought to minimize it.

Krock_CIA.jpeg

BTW, Jackie was at King's funeral also.

There is a memorable profile photo of both of the widows in black.

I talk about it in my review of King in the Wilderness.

Ironically, in the famous photo by George Tames of the New York Times of JFK in the Oval Office leaning on a table with

his back to the camera -- a photo often taken to represent the burdens of the office of the presidency and sometimes

titled "The Loneliest Job" or "The Loneliest Job in the World" -- JFK was

reading the Times editorial page at the time and turned around to mutter, "That goddam Arthur Krock."  He also said,

"I wonder where Mr. Krock gets all the crap he puts in this horsexxxx column of his." The photo was taken on Feb. 10, 1961. Krock's

column that day summarized criticisms of Kennedy's health care proposals, including that they amounted to "socialized medicine."

Krock was an old friend of Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. and helped rewrite JFK's Harvard thesis into his early book WHY ENGLAND SLEPT.

Arthur Krock also wrote the forward to Robert Kennedy's 1960 book " The Enemy Within."

Interesting that JFK would later feel such animosity toward Krock.

RFK's book "The Enemy Within." was also morally idealistic which seemed to be a stronger trait in RFK ( and his children ) than JFK and his children.

Organized crime had taken over the Teamsters and Hoffa was it's thug leader. Hoffa hated RFK to a murderous degree.

It is so obvious Hoffa and organized crime viewed an RFK presidency as the greatest threat to their existence ever. Hoover and LBJ too.

These were not the types of groups and individuals that sat idly by when threatened. More than almost anyone else, it was their super aggressive DNA to attack like blood thirsty Pit Bulls. To make things happen.

Edited by Joe Bauer

In the early - mid 1980's I jumped on Blakey's mafia did it bandwagon.  I'd come to the conclusion it wasn't Oswald alone years before but seen no other "theories".  Somewhere I stumbled across Best Evidence,   then High Treason and Crossfire, eventually more.

The people who authorized the hit's on JFK and RFK were not mafia, they created the CIA, from Wall Street.

I believe Mr. Kennedy references this book in his book.

https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Chessboard-Dulles-Americas-Government/dp/0062276174/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534732978&sr=1-1&keywords=the+devils+chessboard+david+talbot