The Education Forum

Cop on Elm Street

Who was the cop standing by the lamppost near to the newmans on the North side of Elm Street? He must have had at least as good a view of the assassination as they did. Was he ever identified and interviewed? He is also seen in the Couch film appearing to be crossing the street.

Screen_Shot_Couch_frame_cop.png

Bell_film_cop.png

Ray / Paul:

The officer in the Bell and Couch frames above is B.W. Hargis, who was riding to the left of the presidential limo and who, having abandoned his motorcycle in the left-most lane of Elm Street just seconds after the shooting, ran across Elm towards the lamppost. He is also seen in other photographs (one of the Bond slides, I'm almost certain) returning to his motorcycle a few seconds later.

Chris.

At his table on the grassy knoll Robert Groden many years ago referred me to Mr. Hargis to his left regarding a question I asked so he could sign another copy of his booklet as he had mine.  I don't remember what I asked him but he was polite and smiling.  If I remember right, he was on the left rear of the limo.  When the head shot hit from the right front and splattered him with JFK's blood and brain matter.  He did not realize it was on his clothes until he returned to the police station.  I'd forgot he stopped and looked for a suspect briefly.

https://www.jfk-assassination.eu/warren/wch/vol6/page295.php