The Education Forum

Tippit, Oswald, and the Dobbs House

Hi everyone,

From what I understand, Dobbs House (a small restaurant on North Beckley Street in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas) waitresses Dolores Harrison and Mary Ada Dowling reported seeing Oswald as a regular customer and that he was once there at the same time as J.D. Tippit.

All I can seem to find is a brief mention of Harrison and Dowling in WE HE Vol. 26 CE 3009. I can't locate the FBI statement from Dowling which apparently has more detail.

Does anyone know where I might find it? Anyone have any insight or more information about the Dobbs House connection?

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

All I can seem to find is a brief mention of Harrison and Dowling in WE HE Vol. 26 CE 3009. I can't locate the FBI statement from Dowling which apparently has more detail.

Does anyone know where I might find it? Anyone have any insight or more information about the Dobbs House connection?

Thanks!

Denny,

You can find an FBI interview of Mary Dowling here:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=57742&search=Dobbs_House#relPageId=34&tab=page

She said that Oswald was in the restaurant at around 10:00 AM on November 20th (which would be hard to do if he was working), and that J.D. Tippit was there.

Steve Thomas

13 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

Thanks!

Denny,

How about this for a little twist:

Frank Brandstetter: (A tantalizing side note):

Brandy, Our Man in Acapulco: The Life and Times of Colonel Frank M. Brandstetter. A Biography by Rodney P. Carlisle and Dominic J. Monetta. University of North Texas Press, 1999.

https://books.google.com/books?id=QLdqgDsVio4C&pg=PA122&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

p. 117 In March, 1951, Brandy took over the management of the restaurant chain for Continental Trailways, a newly formed subsidiary of the Santa Fe Railroad. Trailways would become the nation's second largest bus company after Geryhound. Maurice Moore appointed Brandy as President of the restaurant subsidiary, Continental Restaurants. Continental was headquartered in Dallas, TX. Brandy planned the construction of new bus depots. Developed training and instruction manuals, and introduced pre-cooked frozen meals to smaller kitchens within a four hundred mile radius from a central kitchen in Dallas. He designed their logo, and raised sales from $215,000 in 1951 to $1,228,000 in 1953.

p. 125. “General Carl L. Phinney, an attorney for Continental Trailways and commander of the Texas National Guard knew that Brandy was looking for new ventures.” Clint Murchison was a “member of the Board of Directors of Continental Trailways.”

Warren Report p. 732.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=946#relPageId=756&tab=page

“On September 26, Oswald boarded Continental Trailways bus No. 5133 in Houston and departed at 2:35 AM for Laredo, TX...”

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=57742&search=Dobbs_House#relPageId=34&tab=page

FBI 105-82555 Oswald HQ File, Section 56

Mary Adda Dowling, waitress at the Dobbs House Restaurant, who told the FBI that Oswald was in the Dobbs House Restaurant at 10:00 AM on November 20, 1963 and that J.D. Tippit was also there at the same time, told the FBI that, “...she had known Officer Tippit for approximately five years because he had formerly come into the Continental Bus Station in downtown Dallas in which bus station she worked in the drug store”.

Steve Thomas

Continental matches up with Flecha Rojas buses in MX, which was initially why the FBI went with Flecha Rojas for his bus ride thru Monterrey into MX City...

The FBI also concluded it was the Anahuac line he rode... Despite there being no evidence he was on any of them...  There were a number of people who could have been Oswald at Dobbs... But that's another story...

5a207c43aefe2_63-11-26CIAMexicosummaryhasOswaldarrivingonAnahuacbuslineandleavingsameOct1.jpg.2a594a01113466cd48c128aa2bb65207.jpg5ab966f8358a2_63-11-25FBI105-3702NARA124-10230-10432MexisourcescheckedallbuslinesOct1-2-3allNEGATIVEforOSWALDtravelp1Anahuacnowinvolved-highlighted.thumb.jpg.b4021ef42313ccc8ed22be192371ae12.jpg

Greyhound matches with Del Norte...

Just now, David Josephs said:

Continental matches up with Flecha Rojas buses in MX, which was initially why the FBI went with Flecha Rojas for his bus ride thru Monterrey into MX City...

Greyhound matches with Del Norte...

David,

I though of you when I posted the bit about Continental Trailways.

Without going into a lot of the documentation you have provided in the past, is it your contention that Oswald did not take a bus to Mexico City, and that the story of him taking a bus is fiction?

If that is so, Brandstetter, with his background in army intelligence, could possibly have had a hand in creating this story. His association with Continental would have given him access to a lot of the documentation needed to create false bus manifests, etc.

This also ties back into the "Colonels" thread and my idea that many of these "Colonels" were not part of the Army Active Reserves, but were part of the Texas National Guard, or State Guard Reserves.

'p. 125. “General Carl L. Phinney, an attorney for Continental Trailways and commander of the Texas National Guard knew that Brandy was looking for new ventures.” Clint Murchison was a “member of the Board of Directors of Continental Trailways.”"

Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas

1 minute ago, Steve Thomas said:

Without going into a lot of the documentation you have provided in the past, is it your contention that Oswald did not take a bus to Mexico City, and that the story of him taking a bus is fiction?

Yes, fiction... He was at Odio and in Dallas all that week.

They reverse engineered the journey with a few scant pieces of evidence provided to the FBI by their asset at the dept of immigration in the Gobernacion.  Harvey Cash in Nuevo Laredo was instrumental.

The Aussie girls and MacFarlane were on Del Norte all the way to MX... 

While interesting, I don't think there's much of a connection... There was only 1 bus leaving Houston that worked in the timeline getting him to MX ... So Ozzie must have been on it...  To arrive at 10:30am and be at the Cuban Embassy by 10:37

39 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

David,

I though of you when I posted the bit about Continental Trailways.

If that is so, Brandstetter, with his background in army intelligence, could possibly have had a hand in creating this story. His association with Continental would have given him access to a lot of the documentation needed to create false bus manifests, etc.

This also ties back into the "Colonels" thread and my idea that many of these "Colonels" were not part of the Army Active Reserves, but were part of the Texas National Guard, or State Guard Reserves.

'p. 125. “General Carl L. Phinney, an attorney for Continental Trailways and commander of the Texas National Guard knew that Brandy was looking for new ventures.” Clint Murchison was a “member of the Board of Directors of Continental Trailways.”"

Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas

Steve - you’ve read one book on Brandstetter - Our Man in Acapulco. I’ve read another - Portrait of an Intelligence Officer. In the latter, a co-written aitobiography, Brandstetter makes clear his 20 years relationship with and reporting to ACSI. He also says he joined Crichton’s 488th, and never mentions the Texas National Guard. Does your theory have support in Our Man in Acapulco? 

3 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Denny,

You can find an FBI interview of Mary Dowling here:

She said that Oswald was in the restaurant at around 10:00 AM on November 20th (which would be hard to do if he was working), and that J.D. Tippit was there.

Steve Thomas

Thank you very much for the link, Steve.

It seems Oswald didn't do a lot of work at his jobs. I seem to recall during his brief time at one (Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall?) he spent most of his time at the shop next door reading magazines.

12 minutes ago, Denny Zartman said:

It seems Oswald didn't do a lot of work at his jobs. I seem to recall during his brief time at one (Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall?) he spent most of his time at the shop next door reading magazines.

That would have been the coffee processing place in NOLA.

1 hour ago, Denny Zartman said:

Denny,

It's either that, or it wasn't Lee Oswald at the Dobbs House.

Someday I would to correlate the "surly" Oswald with the instances of where he was reported to have been at the time. I'm willing to bet that the "surly" Oswald was seen at times and places where he shouldn't have been.

Steve Thomas

3 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - you’ve read one book on Brandstetter - Our Man in Acapulco. I’ve read another - Portrait of an Intelligence Officer. In the latter, a co-written aitobiography, Brandstetter makes clear his 20 years relationship with and reporting to ACSI. He also says he joined Crichton’s 488th, and never mentions the Texas National Guard. Does your theory have support in Our Man in Acapulco? 

Paul,

I can't say that I have read, "Our Man in Acapulco" in its entirety, only the abbreviated Google version I found online; and I haven't read, "portrait of an Intelligence Officer" at all.

Mostly, I'm going on what I have read about various men and the role they served a "Inspector/Advisors" in the Reserves. The 90th Infantry is a Texas National Guard unit.

The Mexia Daily News from Mexia, Texas · Page 1

November 7, 1957

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/11876796/

Mexia Man Receives Appointment Earl McKeilh, (center) is pictured with L. Robert Castorr, of Dallas, Southwestern division manager of the National Federation of Independent Business, and Si N. Meadow, district manager of the organization from Austin.

“Earl McKeith was coming out of a local bank Tuesday and came face to face with a man who was one of his fellow Army officers in the early thirties. Earl didn't recognize him but L. Robert Castorr, of Dallas, immediately grabbed Earl's arm and said "I know you." Mr. Castorr. who is now a- colonel in the Active Reserve serving as inspector and advisor to the 90th Division in Texas., and Mr. McKeith, a Reserve. Army captain, were first lieutenants when they served with each other in the Second Infantry Division. They last saw each other in 1930. Col. Castorr served with Merrill's Marauders in Burma during World War II.” “Mr. Meadow was accompanied to Mexia by L. Robert Castorr, the Southwestern division manager for the National Federation of Independent Business. Mr. Castorr formerly served in the U. S. Army with Mr. McKeilh.”

Brandy, Our Man in Acapulco: The Life and Times of Colonel Frank M. Brandstetter. A Biography by Rodney P. Carlisle and Dominic J. Monetta. University of North Texas Press, 1999.

https://books.google.com/books?id=QLdqgDsVio4C&pg=PA122&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

“...in December, 1953 he (Brandstetter) and several other officers were attached to different units for the first three months of 1954 assigned as “Inspector/Advisors” "

Who were these "Advisors" and what unit was Whitmeyer "advising" in Louisiana?

The Monroe News-Star from Monroe, Louisiana · Page 5

March 25, 1955

https://newspaperarchive.com/monroe-news-star-mar-25-1955-p-5/

“Those reserve officers interested in this program are urged to contact Major George L. Whitmeyer at the office of the unit advisor, United States Army Reserve, building T-39-2, Selman Field...:

The Monroe News-Star from Monroe, Louisiana · Page 3

September 21, 1955

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/89404823/

“Vacancies in the high school student draft deferment group still exist in the reserve army, Major George L. Whitmeyer, army reserve advisor, said Wednesday.

The Monroe News-Star from Monroe, Louisiana · Page 3

October 23, 1956

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/84343273/

Looking on as Capt. Pipes reads his new commission is Major George L. Whitmeyer, unit advisor.

Steve Thomas

21 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

That would have been the coffee processing place in NOLA.

MC... JCS is in Dallas.  Alba’s garage was where Harvey read hunting and rifle mags...

coffee processing?

Edited by David Josephs

19 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Denny,

It's either that, or it wasn't Lee Oswald at the Dobbs House.

Someday I would to correlate the "surly" Oswald with the instances of where he was reported to have been at the time. I'm willing to bet that the "surly" Oswald was seen at times and places where he shouldn't have been.

Steve Thomas

Alot of what you seek is in H&L already....  yet there were 2 or 3 others who fit the Ozzie-lookalike bill who it could have been..

For those not like us who look at his face daily, these other men resembled him enough to fool a casual observer.

With Harvey at work, and Lee having been seen with Ruby on and off all summer, my bet would be on Lee. 

Alan Felde and ce1962 is the first example of overt evidence of the 2 men in the same places at different times.5a99997c42d5d_CE1961versusFELDEv2.thumb.jpg.29c7bf0b98e4bb943a70ad40203fc5fb.jpg

21 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

The Sportatorium

The Dobbs House Restaurant

The guy who got into a fight with Jerry Buchanan on the docks in Miami

There's a bunch of them.

Steve Thomas